Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Robbo sooks and speaks

The Great Pretender

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbo should just leave gracefully and not air his dirty stuff.

Loved him dearly, but he is past his peak and appeared to be playing more for himself than for his team/mates/supporters.

At best he may be a hole plugger at another club.

Good luck Robbo, but dont pot us, please.

I avoided posting to the 'Farewell Robbo post' mainly because he lost me some years ago when he became a 'one trick pony', spending more time the ground (following another speccy attempt) than on his feet chasing.

Slagging the club that gave you the opportunity to play footy at the highest level serves no purpose Russell :angry: .

Any player that is forced to retire when they believe they still has something to offer will be upset. Robbo made some valid points, our forward line next year will be very inexperienced, but unfortunately for Robbo we need to get games into these guys and whilst I agree with him he could have offered something to our young forwards we need these young forwards to play together so they learn how to play together. From a recent DB Article he mentioned that was his goal to get our younger players to play 18-20 games together so the learn a bit about each other.

Robbo has been great, but he didn't help himself on a few occasions with body language and his lack of defensive pressure which saw him dropped a couple of times. In a year that you know could be your last at the club you just have do what the coach wants you to done, not what you have always done in the past.

I'm sure he would of had a few good things to say about the club, but nobody wants to read that.

Good luck Robbo I hope you do continue to play somewhere, you have given us over a decade of exciting football.

It's disappointing that Robbo's apparent chip on the shoulder is blinding his vision of where the Melbourne Footy Club is heading, and how he might have contributed. I enjoyed Robbo greatly in his heyday, and wish him well in whatever lays ahead of him, but IMO, if he had remained at Melbourne, he would have been 'teaching' the youngsers at least as many bad habits as he would good ones.

It's disappointing that Robbo's apparent chip on the shoulder is blinding his vision of where the Melbourne Footy Club is heading, and how he might have contributed. I enjoyed Robbo greatly in his heyday, and wish him well in whatever lays ahead of him, but IMO, if he had remained at Melbourne, he would have been 'teaching' the youngsers at least as many bad habits as he would good ones.

Exactly ... as my boss would say... "he just doesn't get it."

How could he not still teach Jurrah and co.

This is disappointing, but unfortunately not unexpected. He should be thankful for all the club gave him and listen to his own words in his parting speech.

The only part I didn't hear when Robbo retired was this:

It's Robertson's view that the failure is not the making of coach Dean Bailey.

"It was a club and an organisation decision, they drew a line in the sand and said we have to build for the future.

"I do believe that Dean had pressure coming from all corners, but he would have loved for me to stay.

The rest he's said before.

Must admit I shed a tear on the day he walked off the MCG in the red and blue for the last time, but now I think good riddance. Might just be sour grapes that he knows he will miss out on winning a premiership with the MFC. Really disappointing to see him keep rehashing this topic. Missing the limelight much?

If Robbo is unhappy with the way he's been treated, and he thinks that the most sensible and mature way to deal with it is to go to the media and slag off the club, then that's disappointing, but it's his prerogative. But he really, really should not be airing details about football operations matters -i.e. by publicly suggesting that Dean Bailey is basically a lame duck, who is having list management decisions made for him by the board and the football operations department, which is what he seems to be inferring, even if he doesnt realize it. It really is poor form, and potentially damaging to the club.

Edited by two sheds jackson

A bit of sour grapes from Robbo. Understandably he may be a bit upset that the wasn't a spot for him for the future and he's been a great servant to the club, but I back the decision to move him on and look to the future. I think he needs to accept this decision.

And Robbo, you don't need to teach Jurrah anything. Let him do his thing!

<_<

I was hoping this wouldn't happen but I knew he would do this sooner or later. Similar to what Jeff White did on twitter :angry:

The part about teaching Jurrah new tricks was ridiculous. He's already got more tricks than Robbo ever had and why would Bails and co. want him teaching our forwards not to chase and tackle and do the team things. He's delusional if he thinks a club will pick him up.

I was expecting worse when I read the article. He's said nothing inflammatory there. He disagrees with an all-encompassing youth policy. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't agree, but I don't think he's damaged anyone's reputations at all.

Some are over reacting to the article.

Yes. There are a lot of hypersensitive posters here.

Anyone who's seen the short video of his retirement speech to the group couldn't seriously doubt Robbo's respect for the club or not see that he's a fairly level headed man.

He thinks there's a potential danger in an all-encompassing youth push, has just lost his job and still feels like he has something to offer. I thought what he said in the article is neither surprising nor in the least bit inflammatory.

There are a lot of over-zealous people round here.

Edited by Ho Chi Dee

yet mcdonald, a man who turns 33 next year, i think, continues on.

robbo it's not about age, it's about character, and building the right culture. of all the blokes bailey has let go, or cut short, how many of them have that hard edge to them, that never say die attitude.

White, Yze and Robbo all were heroic when things were going well. I dont want to slag off players, but it's clear Bailey is building a culture, not just ditching blokes because they are old. Otherwise McDonald would have gone 2 years ago.

To those who seem to think Robbo has not said anything negative.............please read and COMPREHEND what he said and clearly meant.

I also gave up local footy when I could no longer do things I had done in earlier years. I didn't pot my ex club though.

It wasn't just his speech to the players, it was what he told Bigpond Sport in an interview.

I wouldn't think all his ex team mates, coaches and management would be loving what he said in this interview.

He loves attention and got it for over 10 years, it's not the clubs fault he wouldn't chase and now cant help his former team mates out anymore.

Robbo, go and end your career in a lower comp where every mark that you attempt can be a speccy. In that level leave the chasing and pressure up to others!!! It may not be an issue there. You'd probably enjoy it.

There has been a bit of a culture of accepting mediocrity but our new regime wont accept this anymore.

I for one am ,sick of under achievement and love what is happening around the club. Anyone not prepared to do the team thing, every time, will find a consequence happens to them.

For those interested in developing a successful on ground team, this is the ONLY way to go.

Our club's actual existence was severely challenged and now this culture of playing pretty football is DEAD.

Our only recipe for eventual euphoria is to do the hard work on an ongoing basis....always.

Robbo was spectacular and a great entertainer, he is now past playing at this level, period!!

This is THE MELBOURNE DEMONS FOOTBALL CLUB, not the pink butterfly admiration society.

Now lets get on with working respect back into the Demons.

Yes. There are a lot of hypersensitive posters here.

Anyone who's seen the short video of his retirement speech to the group could seriously doubt Robbo's respect for the club or not see that he's a fairly level headed man.

He thinks there's a potential danger in an all-encompassing youth push, has just lost his job and still feels like he has something to offer. I thought what he said in the article is neither surprising nor in the least bit inflammatory.

There are a lot of over-zealous people round here.

Agree.

Fair assessment.

Storm in a teacup. Get over it.

Good audition for a special comments role in the media, I reckon. He needs to show potential employers that he's got an opinion and he's willing to air it. Good on him.

As for the content of his interview, I've got no problem with what he said at all. His comments were frank and measured and he's entitled to some disappointment.

Edited by MikeyJ