Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons adamant they wont tank

BAMF

Wonder if Richo will be back for the Tigers game, and Pavlich/Sandilands for the Freo game.

I'm beginning to hate this attitude.

Big Jim isn't going anywhere and he would rather see the club succeed in the long run than have meaningless wins against rubbish opponents that jeopardise the club acquiring 2 of the best kids in the country.

YES !! No truer words were ever said.

Let's hope so..

I saw Richo on the news training today so hopefully he's back soon. What's wrong with Pav?

Re: The Pavlova, it's his calf. But Dr.Brukner's assessment earlier this week is he could be back this week.

But I'm waiting for a mystery diagnosis/assessment where he has to go to SA for a week or so to investigate the mystery like Cox & Kerr of WCE.

Interesting article on the heraldsun web page today by M. Sheahan pointing out what could be going on down at the bottom end of the ladder

and calling it an anomaly that WC e after playing in two grand finals and coming 5th in 07 are now

lining up for their second season in a row of special treatment, pointing out that they don't need this welfare.

Interesting article on the heraldsun web page today by M. Sheahan pointing out what could be going on down at the bottom end of the ladder

and calling it an anomaly that WC e after playing in two grand finals and coming 5th in 07 are now

lining up for their second season in a row of special treatment, pointing out that they don't need this welfare.

Brilliant.

There only six months behind this forum which has been highlighting for some time.

We may need to get a tanking board up and running, this is getting out of control.

I personally wish the PP no longer existed so none of us would want our team to not win.

How would that change the tanking issue? The bottom team would get the first pick anyway.

The ONLY way to stop tanking is to make radical changes to the system. Agree the PP must go but a marble system or something similar where the bottom four teams have the chance to get pick one might improve the situation with the bottom team getting four marbles, 15th gets three and so on. The draft then resumes as per normal from 12th position upwards. Still has its flaws but better than the current mess.

This discussion comes up EVERY year and makes for good newspaper headlines and talk back radio discussion.

I have it straight from the horses mouth that:

1. Melbourne will not tank. No chance the players will ever be told not to play for a win. Play hard, play to win.

2. Melbourne will "list manage" as best they can and is looking to win only one more game. Players like Morton and Grimes will be played in new positions. New games plans will be experimented with etc. Fringe players coming into contract negotiations will be played. Expect more debuts, expect the revolving door to increase in size and speed.

Our administration and coaches will go as far as it can to help ensure we don't win 5 matches. However will never tell the players not to try to win. Thus the administration can't guarentee we will not win 5 or more games.

You guys will all have to take my word on this as any further information will give away the meeting and my idenity to those who were there at this meeting (which was on a different topic).

Edited by Grand New Flag

I have it straight from the horses mouth that...

Grand, th eplayers will never tank because alot of them are playing for their footballing careers, tanking has always been done by the coaching department in exactly the way you described.

1. Melbourne will not tank. No chance the players will ever be told not to play for a win. Play hard, play to win.

2. Melbourne will "list manage" as best they can and is looking to win only one more game. Players like Morton and Grimes will be played in new positions. New games plans will be experimented with etc. Fringe players coming into contract negotiations will be played. Expect more debuts, expect the revolving door to increase in size and speed.

Our administration and coaches will go as far as it can to help ensure we don't win 5 matches. However will never tell the players not to try to win. Thus the administration can't guarentee we will not win 5 or more games.

You guys will all have to take my word on this as any further information will give away the meeting and my idenity to those who were there at this meeting (which was on a different topic).

That sounds spot on to me and sensible. I believe you because it's exactly what the club should be doing. The players should be trying their guts out and the club will 'list manage' as best they can.

If we win 5 after all of that then so be it.

C'est la vie.

We're about to find out just how well this bloke Bailey really can coach ;):unsure:

All for the try your guts out stuff but how about we take a leaf out of the professionals book and tell the players to kick at the points until we’ve been well and truly buried in all remaining games. Players of the left side go for the points on the right to add to the degree of difficulty and vice versa for those on the right. That way we can still evaluate our players at the same time. Just moving the goal posts so to speak.

That Kreuzer cup was a thing of beauty for those tanking experts.

Personally, I see no reason why we should not follow the example of:

* St Kilda in 2000

*Hawthorn in 2004

*Collingwood in 2005

*Carlton in 2007

*West Coast in 2008/2009

.......... and do what ever it takes ensure a priority pick.

I understand people having problems with this but if it is good enough for them it’s good enough for us. Football is not a gentleman’s sport. It is a sport of taking opportunities on every level. The teams mentioned above took their opportunity and all have been rewarded with their respective premiership windows opened or about to be opened. None of these teams are as bad as the Demons of 2007 – 2009. Priority Picks are designed for clubs in Melbourne’s position.

Now it is our turn.

How would you feel if West Coast grab a PP this season (resting Cox and Kerr both with a so called mystery injuries.........please) and we missed out? Personally it would feel like we just lost a grand final to me......... and the reality is that is exactly what not getting a PP this year would in effect do.

Edited by Grand New Flag

I think this is where a lot of posters are butting heads: I only believe we should tank to this extent. Basically what you describe in point 2. Players don't know how to tank and should never be asked to compromise themselves.

Skills32 on D'ology is against tanking but I have gleaned that he is not against 'point 2' at all. Therefore, he is not against tanking at all.

For those who are still iffy on the subject - these are the tactics that the coaching staff will/should use to develop players, give opportunities, and plan for 2010.

- Sylvia might not be straight back in for the Tigers game, he may play a few penance games for Casey.

- Tom McNamara, Kyle Cheney, Jack Watts, Rohan Bail, Jordie McKenzie, Austin Wonaeamirri and Jake Spencer may get one or two games they don't deserve on form as a spur for the future (ala Jack Grimes' 1 game at the end of 2008).

- Valenti, Newton, Dunn, Batram, Johnson, Miller, and Buckley might see extended runs so that Bailey and the development coaches can make a judgement on their futures.

- Perrenially injured players - McLean, Moloney, Rivers, and Jamar - may be wrapped in cotton wool with an eye to 2010.

- Grimes may play RR, Petterd a wing, Bate a FF, Jurrah a HFF, Jetta a HBF, Morton a CHF, or Bennell a FP to develop different aspects of their game, and increase their base knowledge in various positions.

That is my idea of 'tanking,' I call it that because it is not trying to win a game and I think calling it 'list management,' like some people do, is being disengenuous.

Would those that oppose tanking, oppose the above measures in this losing year?

to say nothing of strangely vague and persistant niggling worries to various players requiring a lighter run in the magoos

Freo to lift from bottom spot

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...47/default.aspx

woohoo! must say it is good to here regardless of how seroiuse they are or crap for that matter.

Honestly, Harvey is under so much pressure if he held a piece of coal in his sweaty palms he would quickly have a diamond.

He may want to win, but without Hasleby, Schammer, Pavlich, and Sandilands firing they are no chance against anyone.