• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

I heard the boxing coach dude who worked with Jobe Watson interviewed yesterday.

He was talking about AFL being a contact sport where repeated and resilient under pressure 2nd and 3rd efforts are the difference between players;not their speed or skills and that is what he had taught Watson.

Every time he said Jobe I thought Watts.

I think he's called Riley...whatever...just get him to work with Jack immediately

Edited by IRW
  • Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hmm yes the guy that is simultaneously labelled a complete dud yet a massive loss, amazing how that works

I don't want to do this.. Ah who am I kidding. I totally want to do it. By Round 6: But this is even better I think.. So having him leave would have been a culture killer. Having him stay is

nah it was a fantastic post, i even double checked it before i posted it to make sure it was amazing

I heard the boxing coach dude who worked with Jobe Watson interviewed yesterday.

He was talking about AFL being a contact sport where repeated and resilient under pressure 2nd and 3rd efforts are the difference between players;not their speed or skills and that is what he had taught Watson.

I think he's called Riley...whatever...just get him to work with Jack immediately

When I look back on Jobe back in 2005/06, reminds me of Gysberts.

Pulling the "finger out" (as his father told him) and working with this Riley character and Greg Williams transformed him in body and mind.

• Like 1

Quite ironic then that the only pivotal contest Jack has won was against Jobe in the dying minutes of our only true win this season.

• Like 2

This Riley Character will only be of use to Jack Watts if Jack seeks him out.

He must be ready for it in his own head.

But i hope someone has suggested a similar idea to Jack.

The mongrel is what he is lacking in. Not completely, but he would benefit from some "tweaking"

Quite ironic then that the only pivotal contest Jack has won was against Jobe in the dying minutes of our only true win this season.

Ironic?

Rileys point was that the essence of competetive elite contact sport was repeated efforts and collision football.

Jack has the skills to beat most anyone at at given contest,that isnt in dispute.

fwiw Tappy impressed me with his endeavour in the dying moments of that game more than Jack. Watching him I turned to my friend and 'called' the game.

When I look back on Jobe back in 2005/06, reminds me of Gysberts.

Pulling the "finger out" (as his father told him) and working with this Riley character and Greg Williams transformed him in body and mind.

This Riley Character will only be of use to Jack Watts if Jack seeks him out.

He must be ready for it in his own head.

But i hope someone has suggested a similar idea to Jack.

The mongrel is what he is lacking in. Not completely, but he would benefit from some "tweaking"

yep fair enough, but given that suggestion that Carey would be good for Watts I cant help but think Riley would be much more useful.

Of course its up to Jack, but I reckon he misread his 'needs' when he went to Malthouse for help.

Ironic?

Rileys point was that the essence of competetive elite contact sport was repeated efforts and collision football.

Yes, it's ironic that you mention the boxing coach dude that worked with Jobe, when the only notable contest Jack has won was against the boxing coach dude's student.

Jack has the skills to beat most anyone at at given contest,that isnt in dispute.

Isn't it? Strength and aggression are needed, he has neither. Courage and determination are also needed. You can split hairs over whether or not these are skills, but they are what's needed for Jack to get anywhere near the player we need him to be.

So I pretty much agree with your initial points, and see some comparisons between a fat and lazy Jobe and a timid and somewhat lazy Watts. One flicked a switch, let's see what the other does. (Please avoid quoting for pun value)

There are only three guys in the Melbourne team that don't need "Rielly" Clarke, Sylvia and Jamar. Send the rest to Rielly please

Edited by thaipantsman

Yes, it's ironic that you mention the boxing coach dude that worked with Jobe, when the only notable contest Jack has won was against the boxing coach dude's student.

Isn't it? Strength and aggression are needed, he has neither. Courage and determination are also needed. You can split hairs over whether or not these are skills, but they are what's needed for Jack to get anywhere near the player we need him to be.

So I pretty much agree with your initial points, and see some comparisons between a fat and lazy Jobe and a timid and somewhat lazy Watts. One flicked a switch, let's see what the other does. (Please avoid quoting for pun value)

fair enough, inretrospect I was just being defensive..

Its not ironic but amusing that Jacks intro to MFC was getting the crepe punched out of him at Beamers camp...the sort of thing that Riley implied wasnt really the point of the exercise...he kept stressing repeat efforts and the attitude to play that way

Edited by IRW

fair enough, inretrospect I was just being defensive..

Its not ironic but amusing that Jacks intro to MFC was getting the crepe punched out of him at Beamers camp...the sort of thing that Riley implied wasnt really the point of the exercise...he kept stressing repeat efforts and the attitude to play that way

The boxing trainer is Ray Giles. He also helped Tom Rockliff.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-rest-for-rockliff-as-he-grabs-his-chance-at-the-lions-20100612-y4pv.html

The boxing trainer is Ray Giles. He also helped Tom Rockliff.

http://www.brisbanet...00612-y4pv.html

Thanks for that, I suspected I'd got the name wrong. I heard him on SEN last night and pulled over to listen.

Not one sporting cliche, which is a thing of wonder to me at least

Edited by IRW

Jack is not a contact player.

He is best suited as a swooping HBF.

If his physicality matched his footy nous, he'd be a super star.

In case you havent noticed footy is a contact sport.

• Like 1

With the way Watts' every move is scrutinised and analysed he must at times feel like Truman Burbank.

Watts' played very well yesterday. I didn't expect him to get much of it. He played as a 197+cm wingman in slippery conditions and a howling gale; and ended up with 26 possessions plus a goal in less than 3 and half quarters. He's been recruited as a key position forward, but the club are protecting him while he develops into his body as well as giving him miles in his legs up on a wing because his training has been so restricted. With Miller and Newton as the focal points in attack and Watts playing on a wing it wasn't his role to fly for marks against his teammates.

Watts is a very smart footballer. Some players look for body contact all the time and others will avoid it if it's advantageous to do so. Watts will go if it's his turn and I've not seen him avoid one contest that he really had to endure, but I have seen him avoid contests that other players wouldn't have because it was the sensible option. Whether that has involved running around a player giving a shepherd or deliberately keeping his feet so as to not rule himself out of the next contest. He's not the type to knock blokes over just to make a statement - yet.

How many guys at his height have such agility, pace, and skills on either side of their body. Plus a real footy brain. He's something special is young Jack, but the nuffies on here have to be a little more patient while Truman develops into what is going to be an imposing physique.

Some of these threads will be fun to bump in a few years.

Too kind. Too much benefit of the doubt.

Half true, half wrong. Does avoid contested marking situations. But hopefully will improve this failing.

We live and learn.

P.S. I miss you. :mellow:

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Too kind. Too much benefit of the doubt.

Half true, half wrong. Does avoid contested marking situations. But hopefully will improve this failing.

We live and learn.

P.S. I miss you. :mellow:

For those that don't get this: Hannabal was BH's best friend until they fell out.

They thought along similar lines but there is only so much one can take of 'themselves' before it gets old...

• Like 4

For those that don't get this: Hannabal was BH's best friend until they fell out.

They thought along similar lines but there is only so much one can take of 'themselves' before it gets old...

so much to learn..so little time.

Is Ology ever going to be reborn?

watts is for the tip

trade him for a pack of twisties

two cheap and meaningless possessions across half back there. Well done for your insightful contribution to the debate nd the pathway forward. We need "supporters" like you -NOT!

you mean, since Moloney has pulled the plug he will no longer run the camp for the young Dees!

you mean, since Moloney has pulled the plug he will no longer run the camp for the young Dees!

No disrepesct to Beamer but this bloke wasnt talking about the same thing..

He was very impressive and specifically said it wasnt about punching blokes in the face to toughen them up

Edited by IRW