Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Movies/DVD's

Cards13

1 minute ago, hardtack said:

I agree, it was hilarious. I didn't mind Jimmy Kimmel (sp?) as presenter either...the byplay between him and Matt Damon was very funny.

It was a highly entertaining event and I watched it live (as I often do) .... the bit that will get forgotten is that the La La Land cast & crew would be devastated ... but let's face, they've all made a stack of money and the movie might even get an extra boost at the box office. 

And the winner (Moonlight) was such an excellent movie that it was a fully deserved winner anyway ... if you haven't seen it hardtack, do so, I highly recommend it.  It winning makes me think that 'Manchester by the Sea' might have gone close too.

And yeah, Kimmel was terrific and Damon played his role to great effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and watched Logan today.

4.5 stars for mine.

Impressed by the storyline, acting and a couple of decent plot twists.

Oh, if you like your violence and gore, this is a must see.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

'Dunkirk' was just superb ... often bleak with many of the characters being shell-shocked,  demorilised & traumatised,  the movie was as realistic as a film can get. 

It was like watching a documentary or a docudrama ... character development was kept to a minimum but the film had to be depicted that way.  My only criticism was that the movie could have been longer (i.e. 40 - 60 minutes longer than the 1hr 46min)

Christopher Nolan has written & directed a great film. 

4.5/5

The 'Mad about Movies' crew produced a podcast about the movie which is more than decent - listen here from 16.15 (the podcast is not spoiler-free)

On 12/8/2017 at 9:46 PM, Macca said:

'Dunkirk' was just superb ... often bleak with many of the characters being shell-shocked,  demorilised & traumatised,  the movie was as realistic as a film can get. 

It was like watching a documentary or a docudrama ... character development was kept to a minimum but the film had to be depicted that way.  My only criticism was that the movie could have been longer (i.e. 40 - 60 minutes longer than the 1hr 46min)

Christopher Nolan has written & directed a great film. 

4.5/5

The 'Mad about Movies' crew produced a podcast about the movie which is more than decent - listen here from 16.15 (the podcast is not spoiler-free)

I thought Dunkirk was an excellent film... it left me exhausted.  It's available on DVD/BluRay on the 18th of this month.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I thought Dunkirk was an excellent film... it left me exhausted.  It's available on DVD/BluRay on the 18th of this month.

Yes hardtack,  what I especially liked was how the story was depicted ... Nolan could have taken the film in a few different directions but decided to take a path which was most pleasing.  Others may disagree of course as these epics are often taken down a different path. 

As you said,  quite exhausting but it's a film deserving of a number of repeat viewings.  The big name stars played their parts in an often understated way although I thought Mark Rylance was quite superb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Yes hardtack,  what I especially liked was how the story was depicted ... Nolan could have taken the film in a few different directions but decided to take a path which was most pleasing.  Others may disagree of course as these epics are often taken down a different path. 

As you said,  quite exhausting but it's a film deserving of a number of repeat viewings.  The big name stars played their parts in an often understated way although I thought Mark Rylance was quite superb.

There's not much of a better recommendation for the film than this:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Macca said:

Yes great film, watched it last month on 70mm at The Sun in Yarraville. Superb vision apparently on 70 mm, depth of vision you don't get with digital, so they said. Now in the final scenes I interpreted the German bomber attacking the English minesweeper off Dunkirk with the central characters escaping on board being depicted a number of times from the spitfire pilot perspective, from the characters on board the sweeper and from the Dunkirk rescuer's small motor boat. The same event depicted 4 times. Initially I was thinking, for heaven's sake what does it take to kill this German bomber? Then I realised what we were seeing. Yet when I have mentioned this to 3 people who watched the film they didn't see it that way. Any thoughts?  

One other thing, I used to have a pilots license and I doubt you could fly a spitfire without fuel for the distance they managed in the film, take out a Jerry bomber and still emergency land on the beach intact. 

Edited by Earl Hood

3 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes great film, watched it last month on 70mm at The Sun in Yarraville. Superb vision apparently on 70 mm, depth of vision you don't get with digital, so they said.

Earl,  I'd answer your question but that might be entering the spoiler zone:ph34r:

Edited by Macca

35 minutes ago, Macca said:

Earl,  I'd answer your question but that would be entering the spoiler zone. 

My initial post was aimed at those who haven't seen the film. 

Fair cop Macca! 

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Fair cop Macca! 

I'll PM you @Earl Hood  .. saves doing the back & forth here

It's a case of cross wires

Edited by Macca

• 2 months later...

February is Oscar's movie month (The Academy Awards is on Sunday March 4th)

Usually manage to work my way through to seeing most (or all) of the movies up for Best Picture by the time the Awards night is on. 

Only seen 3 of the films so far which is a little unusual but will have seen a few more within a week or so. 

Here are the 9 films up for best picture ...

Call Me by Your Name  (Drama,  Romance)

Darkest Hour  (Biography,  Drama,  History)  8/10

Dunkirk  (Action,  Drama,  History)   9/10

Get Out  (Horror,  Mystery,  Thriller  7.5/10

Lady Bird  (Comedy,  Drama)

Phantom Thread  (Drama,  Romance)

The Post  (Biography,  Drama,  History)

The Shape of Water  (Adventure,  Drama,  Fantasy)

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing,  Missouri  (Crime,  Drama)

Edited by Macca

• 2 years later...

With the absence of so much sport it's time to revisit some classic movies from the past.  Will post up some trailers from some more recent releases as well whenever I get a chance. 

'Three Days of the Condor'  

n.b.  A TV drama series spin-off called 'Condor' was released in 2018 and it is very good (if you like the genre)

Anyway,  here's the trailer for 'Three Days of the Condor'

Edited by Macca

On 3/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, Macca said:

With the absence of so much sport it's time to revisit some classic movies from the past.  Will post up some trailers from some more recent releases as well whenever I get a chance. 

'Three Days of the Condor'  

n.b.  A TV drama series spin-off called 'Condor' was released in 2018 and it is very good (if you like the genre)

I’ve got so many discs at home that I’m yet to watch. Classics like The Dambusters, The Cruel Sea and more recent stuff like The Lighthouse, The Dead Don’t Die, Ford v Ferrari etc etc.

I’m currently watching the HBO/BBC production of His Dark Materials. It’s brilliant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

I’ve got so many discs at home that I’m yet to watch. Classics like The Dambusters, The Cruel Sea and more recent stuff like The Lighthouse, The Dead Don’t Die, Ford v Ferrari etc etc.

I’m currently watching the HBO/BBC production of His Dark Materials. It’s brilliant. 

'The Cruel Sea' appeals HT as does 'Ford vs Ferrari'

'The Lighthouse' as well but I've got to pick the right time to embrace a film such as that.  Late at night probably but any film involving William Defoe is often on the money

Of the Oscar nominated movies I really enjoyed '1917' (9.0) 'The Irishman' (8.0) 'Joker' (9.0) 'Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood' (8.0) & 'Parasite' (8.5)

Have you seen many of the nominated Oscar films?

1 hour ago, Macca said:

'The Cruel Sea' appeals HT as does 'Ford vs Ferrari'

'The Lighthouse' as well but I've got to pick the right time to embrace a film such as that.  Late at night probably but any film involving William Defoe is often on the money

Of the Oscar nominated movies I really enjoyed '1917' (9.0) 'The Irishman' (8.0) 'Joker' (9.0) 'Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood' (8.0) & 'Parasite' (8.5)

Have you seen many of the nominated Oscar films?

I’ve seen Joker, Parasite, JoJo Rabbit and Once Upon a Time. At first I thought Joker would win, despite being fairly derivative of King of Comedy, but then I saw Parasite and my mind was completely changed, I absolutely loved that film. I’d previously seen the director’s earlier film The Host, so I wasn’t at all surprised that it was such a good piece of film making.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watching Expanse? Great SciFi series, incredible special effects and very intricate story line. Think it is on Netflix, I am watching on DVD courtesy of my nephew. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Anyone watching Expanse? Great SciFi series, incredible special effects and very intricate story line. Think it is on Netflix, I am watching on DVD courtesy of my nephew. 

I'll take a look Earl ... I've got access to Netflix again and the plot and storyline looks quite interesting re The Expanse.

The user reviews in IMDb are extremely favourable and it looks like the show gets better by the season after building slowly for the first half of season 1 (there are 4 completed seasons)

Good recommendation.

• Like 1

So far I’ve watched the full season 1 of His Dark Materials (very good) and season 1 of Ricky Gervais’s After Life (on Netflix, and season 2 starts tomorrow I believe) and have just received the DVD collection of Ken Burns Country Music which I’ll watch over the next few days.

• 3 years later...

Here's a movie that slipped past previously but upon watching the film the other night, it was well worth watching

Nothing glitzy about it either.  Just a story about an idealistic lawyer running for the senate in California.  Redford plays his part superbly

Looks like the movie is out in the public domain (at least for now)