Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our Next Captain

Our Next Captain  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dees Dayz:I could not agree with you more about the sort of player McLean must become. I have been discussing with my friends that McLean must mould his game into one similar to which Diesel Williams played. Afterall a very slow player who won 2 or was it 3 Brownlows.

Dees Dayz:I could not agree with you more about the sort of player McLean must become. I have been discussing with my friends that McLean must mould his game into one similar to which Diesel Williams played. Afterall a very slow player who won 2 or was it 3 Brownlows.

The thing about Williams was that he played in the 80s and 90s. The game's changed. It's so much quicker than it used to be, so although I like Brock, this argument is rather useless. Players without pace these days get caught out. Especially midfielders. That said, I still believe he has lots to offer us, in the ball winning and leadership stakes.

The thing about Williams was that he played in the 80s and 90s. The game's changed. It's so much quicker than it used to be, so although I like Brock, this argument is rather useless. Players without pace these days get caught out. Especially midfielders. That said, I still believe he has lots to offer us, in the ball winning and leadership stakes.

Good post Adam. Many issues not realised by some.

There is not many in the football world that have, or will have as good as hands as Greg Williams with respect to his handballing. His kicking was very handy too as well as great vision. I can't say that Brock matches him in each of these departments, but I agree with regard to winning the ball and his leadership, Brock has much to offer.

I'm surprised that Nate Jones hasn't been talked about.....the guy oozes leadership and at only 20 or so there will be plenty more to come.

The guy led the midfield last year and for those who said he has no skills well i believe he was the one who put the footy on millers chest 3 times in 5 minutes against WC. He leads by example and is always at the bottom of the pack.

He apparently was the one that was addressing the players in the huddle at 3/4 time too......if they opt for a young guy i hope he gets the nod.

I'm surprised that Nate Jones hasn't been talked about.....the guy oozes leadership and at only 20 or so there will be plenty more to come.

The guy led the midfield last year and for those who said he has no skills well i believe he was the one who put the footy on millers chest 3 times in 5 minutes against WC. He leads by example and is always at the bottom of the pack.

He apparently was the one that was addressing the players in the huddle at 3/4 time too......if they opt for a young guy i hope he gets the nod.

Jonesy is a ball magnet. I've always thought he possessed massive potential. This year already he has shown great improvement. Last year, he would have had to be our most tackled player. The amount of times he was run down was ridiculous. Although not always his fault (they'd give it to him, running past, when he was already wearing an opposition player on his back), he did seem to lack a lot of awareness. But seemingly, the coaching staff and probably even Jonesy himself have looked at this and his decision making this year has generally been pretty good.

I believe Jones could be one of the premier midfielders in the comp. He just needs to keep developing both his decision making and disposal (which occasionally still lets him down).

Further to my rather useless argument, if, as you say, players without pace get caught, then what will McLean have to offer us, as you then go on to say he will?

So he does some ball winning, then he gets caught, right? :blink:

So leader, or not? Because if he can't do a "Diesel Williams", then he won't be around much longer.

Because, the ability to run and carry, with speed, in modern day football is priceless. The beauty about Brock is he has the ability to win the ball. Much like a Sam Mitchell (as I said in another thread). Mitchell is not quick, but he has pacey players around him to give it too. He also has superior decision making ability to Brock, but that can be learned. Brock has too much ball winning potential to be given the flick. He's also visually a leader. I don't think any of us really dispute this.

Cheap bandwagon jump. You, should know better.

Clearly Adam's post is lost on you. Your loss as usual.

For the record, Williams was an elite contested ball winner with outstanding decision making and deft disposal particularly by hand. But he was slow and was not the most mobile of midfielders. Albeit when he played they were not as crucial as they are now. Williams would still be a good player now in the AFL but his lack of pace would find him under more pressure now than back then. Indeed when the opposition had the ball, he would definitely be the player you would run off.

McLean has none of those elite Williams traits. Brock is a good honest hard at it footballer whose games is generally serviceable these days. I dont think he is a No 1 midfielder. I am hoping your players like Morton, Scully (??) step up as the class players in the midfield and McLean gets to do the do he is good at without the pressure of being No 1 in the midfield. But his on field shortcomings are well known and they hurt his effective when he does get the ball. He definitely in the leadership mould. However I am not sure I would have him Captain next year.

Brock Mclean can't be the next captain of the club. As much as I admire and respect is efforts as a footballer the game is fast going past him if it hasn't already. There is no guarantee that Brock will be in our best 22 in 2 to 3 years time. His lack of speed and faltering body are of great concern. His kicking has lost penetration and some of his decision making is ordinary. I hope he can overcome his body's limitations and remain in our best 22 but with the speed and talent of the youth coming through I'm starting to think his clock has ticked past midnight.

Brock Mclean can't be the next captain of the club. As much as I admire and respect is efforts as a footballer the game is fast going past him if it hasn't already. There is no guarantee that Brock will be in our best 22 in 2 to 3 years time. His lack of speed and faltering body are of great concern. His kicking has lost penetration and some of his decision making is ordinary. I hope he can overcome his body's limitations and remain in our best 22 but with the speed and talent of the youth coming through I'm starting to think his clock has ticked past midnight.

Are you serious?

A super young player with great potential and excellent leadership qualities is struggling a bit with injury and fitness, which is affecting his confidence, which is affecting his disposal and decision-making, yet he is still clocking up 30 touches a game and you reckon the game is going past him?

You've got to be kidding me.

Having said that, I don't think he should be captain. Greeny or Moloney I reckon.

This generally serviceable player should perhaps be looking for another club? He obviously does not fit into the Rhino Richards game plan. We don't want a leader who can't play modern footy. We don't want a football player who can't play modern footy. Have you bounced this off DB lately?

Further to my rather useless argument

Indeed it is. :lol:

• 7 months later...
I am a huge fan of Junior, and unlike many on this forum I think his form this year (except v West Coast) has been quite good. However, it is clear he is coming to the end of his career with his last season to be 2009 or 2010. This being the case it seems likely that there will be a new captain for the 2010 season and definitely for the 2011 season.

So who should it be?

I think after Juniors tenure next year (2010), it should be either Moloney or Green for a season or two.

Davey needs to continue his apprenticeship for another couple of topline leadership group seasons, to cement his newfound maturity.

Big surprise this but I vote for Beamer too.

This man is a born leader - he has the passion, the drive and the initiative. These are very important aspects of captaincy aside from the obvious onfield leadership which he often shows in the huddles. He also leads by example.

He has created the first year player program and takes the kids off to Warnambool (?) each year to instil some of his Demonic values and teach them the history of the club.

I just think he would be perfect - Beamer for captain 2011 onwards

I was looking at the mfc wiki the other day and noticed that there were 2 long tenures for 2 great MFC footballers in Lyon ('91-'97) and Neitz (2000-'08) split by a 2 year tenure of a great servant of the club who perhaps was considered an older "caretaker" in Viney ('98 and '99).

Are we going to see another long-term captain step in here or will we see another 2-4 year captaincy by Beamer/Green/Davey? Have people considered that it's not just about which player had the best season that year, but the player who will continue to lead and offer stability by playing for 5+ years?

I was looking at the mfc wiki the other day and noticed that there were 2 long tenures for 2 great MFC footballers in Lyon ('91-'97) and Neitz (2000-'08) split by a 2 year tenure of a great servant of the club who perhaps was considered an older "caretaker" in Viney ('98 and '99).

Are we going to see another long-term captain step in here or will we see another 2-4 year captaincy by Beamer/Green/Davey? Have people considered that it's not just about which player had the best season that year, but the player who will continue to lead and offer stability by playing for 5+ years?

Neita was recruited around 1993 to Melbourne.

After 7 years at the club he got the Nod as captain. It takes time to mature & earn the stripes.

I think its pretty funny how many people backed maclean to be captain only 8 months ago but fast foward to current day and there is a thread based around bagging him and saying how crap he was. I wonder how many people would be found out if we compared names between the 2 threads.

Come on were demons were better then that

Neita was recruited around 1993 to Melbourne.

After 7 years at the club he got the Nod as captain. It takes time to mature & earn the stripes.

Umm. I know.

I was merely pointing out that in my time properly following the club, they have had 4 (main) captains, two of which were caretakers.

I think its pretty funny how many people backed maclean to be captain only 8 months ago but fast foward to current day and there is a thread based around bagging him and saying how crap he was. I wonder how many people would be found out if we compared names between the 2 threads.

Come on were demons were better then that

A week is a long time in football. So is 8 months. You're easily amused.