Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Team Changes for Round 7

how long do we persist with PJ?

Until Spencer or Jamar are fit. But I agree, perhaps we just run with one ruckman and pinch hit as you say. PJ has offered nothing.

I'd cut Bate some slack because 1) he's showed in previous year he can play and 2) this year he's playing a new role much deeper in attack and the ball is just not coming in.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out Maric

In Jetta (his worse game this year has been better than any of Addam's)

You mean his one, single, solitary game, today?

Yeah throw him out for one poor match, excellent idea :angry: .

Out: Maric,Bate

In: Newton,Whelan,Jetta

I am loath to bring this up but no one has mentioned Cameron Bruce. He looked slow and as one commentator put it looked like the game had passed him by. Do we give someone younger a run or is what he does in marshalling the troops make up for his obvious declining speed (not that I think he was ever a speedster) I am against Junior being dropped because from where I sit he is still putting his body on the line which inspires the younger boys. I am also considering whether Nathan Jones has to be dropped because again week after week his inability to have that peripheral vision whereby he is caught time an time again and turning the ball over. Still not sure about Newton. Last year was the same he would do well in VFL but failed in AFL where the pressure is heightened. Liked Valenti on Saturday but his size worries me. Give Maric another go. Wonna and Bell - no. Whelan yes depending on other ins. Johnson kicked a nice goal and at least wasn't as bad as last week - stay in until Spencer comes back. Give Meesen another chance. This week he was prepared to take the long kick so he is gaining in confidence. Any thoughts!!!!!

Outs

Bate - At the moment if the ball is not delivered to his chest he really struggles to win possesion. Needs to go back to Casey and rediscover his overhead marking

I think he needs to discover how to mark overhead not rediscover; I don't think he's ever been good at it.

Out - Bate

In - Jetta

No changes

In: Newton, Valenti

Out: Bate, McDonald

Bate has been horrendous this year and needs to have a bloody good hard look at himself. He is too slow and has the worst turning circle in the league. He couldn't even out mark Selwood in a one on one when he was in a superior position.

McDonald is a great leader around the club, but he is no longer in my best 22. Disposal was poor last year and is again letting him down this year.

Newton deserves his chance after getting BOG for Casey, as does Valenti whose disposal is very good and who never stops trying.

Jaded, you are kidding yourself. Bell's disposal is awful and not up to AFL grade. He needs to be delisted or traded at years end.

Wona was pathetic yesterday and is a long way off AFL standard atm.

He needs to learn how to win his own ball, instead of living off only crumbs. He is very one dimensional and needs to add a few strings to his bow before being promoted again.

Out Maric

In Jetta (his worse game this year has been better than any of Addam's)

Yep great for the kids development lets drop him after one game against the most mature side in the competition. Jetta sure as hell wasn't setting the world on fire in any of the first 5 but lets bring him back in. Maric had a mare today but give the kid a chance to learn from his mistakes and apply those lessons next week.

Mine's a little more controversial.

IN: Grimes, Whelan

OUT: Bartram, Bennell

Whelan and Grimes have now both had 3 games back at the VFL and are more then ready to go. Reason why I've nominated Bennell is because although he's been very impressive this is his first year and we need to make sure he's managed well and not pushed to hard, to soon. Whelan can take his place as the small defender. I like Bartram but believe he woould be the best suited player to make way for Grimes.

I'd have Bennell, Cheney and Newton as our emergencies.

Mine's a little more controversial.

IN: Grimes, Whelan

OUT: Bartram, Bennell

Whelan and Grimes have now both had 3 games back at the VFL and are more then ready to go. Reason why I've nominated Bennell is because although he's been very impressive this is his first year and we need to make sure he's managed well and not pushed to hard, to soon. Whelan can take his place as the small defender. I like Bartram but believe he woould be the best suited player to make way for Grimes.

I'd have Bennell, Cheney and Newton as our emergencies.

Did you watch the game on ABC or go to the game?

Grimes had no real influence - definitely needs more games to work his way into form - and Whelan for mine needs more full games of senior VFL to prove he has fitness/durability necessary for AFL.

I am loath to bring this up but no one has mentioned Cameron Bruce. He looked slow and as one commentator put it looked like the game had passed him by. Do we give someone younger a run or is what he does in marshalling the troops make up for his obvious declining speed (not that I think he was ever a speedster) I am against Junior being dropped because from where I sit he is still putting his body on the line which inspires the younger boys. I am also considering whether Nathan Jones has to be dropped because again week after week his inability to have that peripheral vision whereby he is caught time an time again and turning the ball over. Still not sure about Newton. Last year was the same he would do well in VFL but failed in AFL where the pressure is heightened. Liked Valenti on Saturday but his size worries me. Give Maric another go. Wonna and Bell - no. Whelan yes depending on other ins. Johnson kicked a nice goal and at least wasn't as bad as last week - stay in until Spencer comes back. Give Meesen another chance. This week he was prepared to take the long kick so he is gaining in confidence. Any thoughts!!!!!

Bruce started a long time ago in the year 2000 when precise disposal was not as paramount as it is now. His kicking really lets him down. As for Junior I think the game has passed him by, perhaps like Bruce. Bailey managed out White and Yze last year, hopefully he'll do the same to Bruce and Mcdonald this year.

In: Newton, Valenti

Out: Bate, McDonald

Bate has been horrendous this year and needs to have a bloody good hard look at himself. He is too slow and has the worst turning circle in the league. He couldn't even out mark Selwood in a one on one when he was in a superior position.

McDonald is a great leader around the club, but he is no longer in my best 22. Disposal was poor last year and is again letting him down this year.

Newton deserves his chance after getting BOG for Casey, as does Valenti whose disposal is very good and who never stops trying.

Jaded, you are kidding yourself. Bell's disposal is awful and not up to AFL grade. He needs to be delisted or traded at years end.

Wona was pathetic yesterday and is a long way off AFL standard atm.

He needs to learn how to win his own ball, instead of living off only crumbs. He is very one dimensional and needs to add a few strings to his bow before being promoted again.

Hang on a sec.........just read this, and felt obliged to object.........Bell's disposal is awful, yet you want Newton back in???????

And you lose all credibilty calling for Junior to go out.........at least be serious!

I slightly agree with Bate........not sure he has been completely shocking, but looks to be a little out of touch, and a spell may not hurt him, especially when there is competiton for spots.

Newton is not worth persisting with IMO............and I'm not just basing it on last week..........I have not seen much in him since he debuted.

Bell I must confess.......I'm a fan.......I didn't see much of the Casey game on Sat, so can't say whether he's worthy of a call up, but he was flying preseason, and I rate the guys courage and attack on the ball. Is a solid mark, and can be a little inconsistent by foot, but no more so than others in our team.

I wouldn't make any changes to this weeks team............give the same team the chance against a lessor opponent, and see how they go!

i agree.. i wouldnt touch the team.. they played really well today against the top side!

also you cant drop Macca... he is our captain.. how is he supposed to lead and keep the respect of his team mates if he gets dropped!!

Doubt Aussie wil play, as DB has said just because he played last year, does not mean he comes straight in, he must show good form first, which he has not yet done.

Bell NO CHANCE!!! Still a long way off, Whelan prob 1 more away!

Watts, was great to see him & he has already confirmed the level wont be an issue. But lets be patient, still at least 2-3 more at VFL, cant afford to bring him in off 1 game at VFL level. He is only a school boy guys, yes, other rookies come straight in, but with a full pre-season ahed of them, and usually at 6-12 more mature age, hardened bodies, or midfield players, not a KPP who wiull be under such intense scrutiny, so yes, I cant wait either, but it wont and shouldnt be just yet :)

Grimes was very quiet at Casey, needs a little bit more form, wont be long though!

Mcnamara & Bail the next 2 to debut..

In: Newton, Bail

Out: Bennell (his turn for a rest), Dunn

I remember when juice kicked 12 for the sandy 2nds.

If he has come on do you think if he went back to the 2nds now would he kick 12 or near it ummmm.

Maybe not he could have gone the opposite of progressing.

Silly Post!

Could of kicked 6 against Tigers, 5 against crows, 8 in VFL last week.

He has come a lONG LONG way with his defensive pressure and his leading patterns.

Just needs to work opn his accuracy, but if he played ion Casey 2's, and Kicked just ok, then yes, he could kick 12!

A few thoughts -

Meesen and PJ are lucky that we don't have any rucks pushing for selection.

McDonald and Bruce probably have enough credits in the bank but a decent performance would be timely.

Given the circumstances, Maric should stay in the team for at least one more game.

If Bennell's to come out - as a few have suggested - I think Cheney's the obvious replacement.

Dunn and Bate might be in the gun but who do we bring in?

I imagine Newton will be given more than a week at Casey and it seems other contenders (Whelan, Wona, Grimes, Bell, etc) need to find form and/or fitness.

Wona might have had a great pre-season but he's just coming back from injury and - from all accounts - didn't play well. He's not good enough to walk back into the team.

The thing with Bate is that when he comes to the end of a 4-6 week run of bad form, they threaten dropping him (somehow he ends up as an emergency) and then he comes out and stars the following week. The problem with him is not how good he is, it's his consistency. The kid can play. But it is good that we have numbers on the list now that aren't injured so they can put pressure on some of the blokes who might need a kick in the arse.

A few thoughts -

Meeson has been great, Johnson lucky yes, but Meeson has done what has been asked plus a little sugar on top, will only get better and really looking like he belongs!

A few thoughts -

McDonald and Bruce probably have enough credits in the bank but a decent performance would be timely.

Given the circumstances, Maric should stay in the team for at least one more game.

If Bennell's to come out - as a few have suggested - I think Cheney's the obvious replacement.

Dunn and Bate might be in the gun but who do we bring in?

I imagine Newton will be given more than a week at Casey and it seems other contenders (Whelan, Wona, Grimes, Bell, etc) need to find form and/or fitness.

Wona might have had a great pre-season but he's just coming back from injury and - from all accounts - didn't play well. He's not good enough to walk back into the team.

I think that pretty much covers it.

While we can think of players to drop, I dont think there are ready or likely replacements this week.

Meeson has been great, Johnson lucky yes, but Meeson has done what has been asked plus a little sugar on top, will only get better and really looking like he belongs!

Agree! Messen actually seems a pretty good tap ruckman.Most of his taps go to our advantage.

I would think the onballers would be happy to have him in the team.

Agree! Messen actually seems a pretty good tap ruckman.Most of his taps go to our advantage.

I would think the onballers would be happy to have him in the team.

He got flogged yesterday and is definitely benchwarming for other options.

Definite outs - Bate, Dunn.

ins - any two of grimes, newton, bell, t-mac.

Bate needs a spell. Robbo showed today that you can still be effective as a forward in our current side. On principle alone Bate simply shouldnt be able to survive 6 sub standard (some of which were VERY sub standard) afl games.

Dunn is an egg. There's just no upside, and Im tired of being optimistic..

Maric - was appalling yesterday but cant be dropping kids for one bad game, we are not in a position to be doing that (unlike a top 4 side). Not good for their confidence.

Bruce and Junior are on the cusp. Even when bruce plays 'well', he's just no good anymore. I cringe whenever I see his name in the best for 25 - 30 INEFFECTIVE disposals.

Junior tries hard, you can't question that. But its time to step aside for the rebuild. I've got no problems with seeing him in the 22 each week to at the very least show the kids how to approach afl footy, but has to be his last year.

I normally enjoy reading some of the different opinions that people put on here but very rarely post. Today I thought I would make one of MY few comments. I find it amusing that people have been calling for Newton to come in and as sson as he is in they call for him to get dropped and then as soon as he is dropped they want him back in. The same goes for Dunn & Jetta. Bate has been in the crosshairs for weeks with everyone calling for his head. Now Maric is in the crosshairs of those same posters. The same people are calling for the return of Wonna and Grimes to the senior side on the back of very very ordinary performances in the VFL. The guys need to be given a few weeks to settle in to the side and then if they still aren't performing you consider a return to the VFL as an option.

So having said that:-

Bate:- Has had a few weeks now where he has failed to deliver.Casey has a bye this week so would not

Jetta:- Had been dropped after 5 weeks and hasn't played so nothing has changed and I would feel would need to play at casey to show that he should be in the senior side.

Wonna:- Coming back from injury and didn't prove he was ready to come back

Grimes:- Also coming back from injury and I thought he looked tired? Probably needs more time

Newton:- Needs to be consistant so another game at casey would do him good and if he can kick another few like last week then you consider him for selection

Maric:- We all know he had a bad day and we all know he is better than that. He probably read some of the hype on here (thanks Y_M) and went out there with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He will be better next week after Bailey has a word in his ear.

Dunn:- Leave him alone review him in a couple of weeks after he has had a chance to find his feet.

If anyone had have said last week that we would be beaten by only 43 points by Geelong we would have taken that.