TOM HISLOP

Adzman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why couldnt it be tom harley? geelong took a pretty hard stand with steven johnson and the drinking.

Personally I don't think that's his style. Having met the guy i'd say he's more the Brad Johnson type.

He'd threaten someone definitely, but doubt he'd use those same words...

Yep that's 100% right, Caro wrote an article about it a few years back.

Fwiw, From hearing Ricky Nixon's interview on SEN a few weeks ago, I thought he was referring to of recent times (ie this season), rather than a few years back. That is how I interpreted it.

good point. I don't think they actually said it was a current captain.

And Vossy would put the fear of god into you, wouldn't he?

haha i love it. Wish we had a fearsome captain like that... Brock?? get onto that one.

In the Herald Sun they said it was at the beginning of this year.

It was put in quotations and one of Brendan Gale, Nixon or Demetriou was credited with the quote.

• 2 weeks later...
Bombers have ruled out taking him back

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=70005

Well that decision indicates something. Take your pick from:

* he's not up to it as a footballer

* he's dirtied the patch so much at the Dons they don't want a bar of him in terms of team culture (aka Nathan C.)

* he had a chance for a few weeks doing pre-season and wasn't up to it physically or had a poor attitude

* he still has off-field issues

* the Dons have other players more than capable of covering whatever position he was competing for

Any way you look at it, it doesn't read well.

The only upside, as the Don's spokesman said, is that a new start at a new club might get him right.

Sounds almost like the Cousin's situation. What are the risks and is it worth importing a proven bogan into a young developing list?

I'm not at all sure at this point.

Well that decision indicates something. Take your pick from:

* he's not up to it as a footballer

* he's dirtied the patch so much at the Dons they don't want a bar of him in terms of team culture (aka Nathan C.)

* he had a chance for a few weeks doing pre-season and wasn't up to it physically or had a poor attitude

* he still has off-field issues

* the Dons have other players more than capable of covering whatever position he was competing for

Any way you look at it, it doesn't read well.

Any way you look at the article, it suggests none of those points. Your guessing. Although off-field issues may have something to do with it.

I received the inside word today on Tom Hislop, from someone who is in a very good position.

I have been a very big advocate for the recruitment of Tom based on what I have seen of him as a player of the game and what I have read in the papers and online.

However following a discussion I had today I have to say that I do not want Tom to be drafted by our club.

I have enough faith in Dean bailey to know that a player like Tom will not be drafted.

I do not wish to say too much other than it seems he has a lack of respect for the people around him.

I'm only posting this to relieve any disappointment to other supporters who had hoped we would draft him.

I started the Tom Hislop news on here (only cos I was posting and listening to the SEN report as it came on air), despite the thread originator being WC...

At the time, and for a good week after I was probably more vocal on here than anyone on recruiting the kid. I thought perhaps a smack in the jaw with the reality stick might do him good, and he might grow up and realise he should be down on his knees thanking the maker that he got to play AFL at all, instead of behaving in such a way that his career might be under threat, for no other reason than (one of) arrogance, disrespect for authority, unpreparedness, bad attitude. Surely if it gets to this point the kid would take note and straighten up?

Other factors included the fact we'd be taking him from the Scum for nothing... (offsetting the CJ debacle) AND the fact that the PSD was bereft of talent at that time, making our first pick look pretty darn useless... Something that made me very, very grumpy.

After going through the draft prospects in detail, and perusing our currently listed 33 players, I'm of the opinion our list will be complete as of the end of next seasons draft, perhaps even very close to being complete at the end of THIS draft. ALl that will remain, recruitment-wise, after 2009 would be the usual 3-5 players being culled (or retiring) and we'd have the team we'd be following for the next ten years... more or less.

With that in mind, there's no room for the Hislops of this world. Angwin was a highly rated player who was let go, and it's been revealed as a good decision, as he was a first-class peanut all along. Hislop could be revealed to be similar.

The only way I'd look at him is if we had no-one better to look at in the rookie draft, and we offer him terms... no negotiation. He puts up, shuts up or he's turfed for good. The reason? EVEN IF the guy gets recruited again, and proves he can play with a good season over his two years, you know for sure the arrogance will return and he'll probably end up holding whatever club he goes to to ransom.

Say no to TH... It's that simple.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.