Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Garland nominated for Rising Star

mo64

Superlative!

I'm so proud of his efforts. He decided he wanted to be a footballer and has not taken a backward step.

Congratulations Colin.

Thoroughly deserved. Hasn't got a hope in hell in winning it because he's the wrong type of player, but in my opinion has been an absolute revelation this year.

Congratulations Colin.

He has just as good a chance as any of the nominees. What other players nominated plays on the best forwards week in week out and holds his own??

I think he can win it, that my opinion.

He has just as good a chance as any of the nominees. What other players nominated plays on the best forwards week in week out and holds his own??

I hope you're right, but I reckon the markers will look more favourably on the attacking midfielders like Palmer. It's no criticism of Colin, and I reckon he's as important to our side as any of those other guys are to theirs. Just the way I think it'll pan out.

I hope you're right, but I reckon the markers will look more favourably on the attacking midfielders like Palmer. It's no criticism of Colin, and I reckon he's as important to our side as any of those other guys are to theirs. Just the way I think it'll pan out.

Palmer better watch out. Wona is on his tail. If he kicks forty goals by the end of the year he's in with a big chance. He could even be our leading goalkicker by the end of the year. Who would have thunk it?

i agree with what you are saying - he has been doing a fantastic job, and possibly he is doing the hardest job out of anyone who has been nominated but a couple of things go against him.

firstly defenders do not get looked on favourably in these sort of awards. generally it is a flashy midfielder or a star forward. almost always it is someone who stands out with blonde hair or big muscles lol something that makes them different. the exceptions to these are those who stand out and are visible. rivers won, but he was seen drifting in front of opposition players, making big spoils, taking big marks. col goes quietly about his job, and gets it done solidly, no frills.

also, it is almost always associated with where the players were rated before the season also. kruezer, palmer and co will all probably feature highly while not all of them deserve too, it is because they are the big recognizable names.

Bachar Houli (Essendon),

Josh Hill (Western Bulldogs),

Rhys Palmer (Fremantle),

Kieren Jack (Sydney),

Ben McKinley (West Coast),

Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn),

Austin Wonaeamirri (Melbourne),

Kurt Tippett (Adelaide),

Garrick Ibbotson (Fremantle),

Nathan Brown (Collingwood),

Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton),

Trent Cotchin (Richmond),

Jarryd Morton (Hawthorn),

Colin Garland (Melbourne)

Freo, Melbourne and Hawks now have 2

Hopefully Morton can step up in the next few weeks, who else qualifies/has the talent to get a nod?

Way overdue. Should have got it the week he beat Franklin.

Well done Col, and may you continue to serve humble pie to all those who put a line through your career after a grand total of 4 matches :rolleyes:

Has a team ever had two exciting young Colins playing at either end of the ground?

The Col Express is full steam ahead.

who else qualifies/has the talent to get a nod?

Of players that have played AFL footy i think Weetra, Valenti, Martin, Frawley, Bode, Buckley and Morton qualify also maybe Newton.

Way overdue. Should have got it the week he beat Franklin.

Well done Col, and may you continue to serve humble pie to all those who put a line through your career after a grand total of 4 matches :rolleyes:

To give credit where it is due, Fan has been a big supporter of CG from the beginning. He said he would need time to adjust as he had not played a lot of junior footy.

I quickly added up all of the clubs Rising stor nomination since 2004:

Melbourne 11 (included in there is Moloney who got the nod while playing for geelong)

Brisbane 10

West Coast 9

Collingwood 8

Port Adelaide 8

Richmond 8

Carlton 7

Geelong 6

Hawthorn 6

Western Bulldogs 6

Essendon 5

North Melbourne 4

Fremantle 3

Sydney 2

Adelaide 2

StKilda 1

Now this either means that we have an exciting future ahead OR the rising star nomination means didley.

Either way you would rather have more of them than less and we're on the top of the ladder!!!

Melbourne 11 (included in there is Moloney who got the nod while playing for geelong)

Brisbane 10

West Coast 9

Collingwood 8

Port Adelaide 8

Richmond 8

Carlton 7

Geelong 6

Hawthorn 6

Western Bulldogs 6

Essendon 5

North Melbourne 4

Fremantle 3

Sydney 2

Adelaide 2

StKilda 1

Now this either means that we have an exciting future ahead OR the rising star nomination means didley.

Either way you would rather have more of them than less and we're on the top of the ladder!!!

Neat!

i agree with what you are saying - he has been doing a fantastic job, and possibly he is doing the hardest job out of anyone who has been nominated but a couple of things go against him.

firstly defenders do not get looked on favourably in these sort of awards. generally it is a flashy midfielder or a star forward. almost always it is someone who stands out with blonde hair or big muscles lol something that makes them different. the exceptions to these are those who stand out and are visible. rivers won, but he was seen drifting in front of opposition players, making big spoils, taking big marks. col goes quietly about his job, and gets it done solidly, no frills.

also, it is almost always associated with where the players were rated before the season also. kruezer, palmer and co will all probably feature highly while not all of them deserve too, it is because they are the big recognizable names.

What about that defender called Jared Rivers?

Brisbane 10

West Coast 9

Collingwood 8

Port Adelaide 8

Richmond 8

Carlton 7

Geelong 6

Hawthorn 6

Western Bulldogs 6

Essendon 5

North Melbourne 4

Fremantle 3

Sydney 2

Adelaide 2

StKilda 1

Looking at that its tough to discern a serious trend. ie we have Brisbane and Collingwood up there (of the teams that are doing well at present) but then we also have ourselves, Richmond and Port, who are all struggling (obviously the optimal number of rising star nominations is 6!). I'm going to have to go with rising star nominations meaning sod all at this stage. I can think of numerous players who have earned a nomination for one or two weeks good form, only to vanish from the face of the earth subsequently.

Likewise, looking back at the history of rising star WINNERS, at least half have been no more than journeyman players.