Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   


Recommended Posts

Happy to see the end of Pujara

Our first innings score of 195 doesn't look too bad now.  There is just enough in the track to keep all the bowlers in the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just heard as well. I feel sick. Heartbreaking. Sparing a thought for Sean Abbott as well.

There are no words that can suitably describe that effort from Rhino. If anyone stayed up to watch it, I am extremely jealous.

He shouldn't really need to. He's toughed it out for years with a bad back to become one of the best batsmen and captains in the world. People are going to hate him because he has made them look stu

Posted Images

India dominating this test match now ... a minor miracle now required by the Aussies. 

Still no news on where the next test match will definitely be held.  Could still be Sydney but the 3rd test isn't due to start until the 7th Jan anyway.  Not sure why Perth hasn't been talked of as a venue

And if India win the test we'll need to win the series to win back the Border/Gavaskar trophy.  n.b. India have won the last 2 series' between the 2 countries

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Half a chance this will be an innings loss. 

Can't keep carrying Burns, Head and Green in the same top 6. Green may score well but even if he does, we're just far too lean in the top 6. Smith's horribly out of form and Labushagne can't convert any of his starts into 50s, let alone 100s.

Must drop Burns for the next match. Never should have played the first Test. Funnily enough though, he's the only member of our failing top 6 to have made it to 50 this series so far.

I know Head's got future captain ideals but he should go too. Throws his wicket away far too often. We can do better - whether that means shifting Wade down to 5 and bringing in two of Warner/Pucovski/Harris, or finding another middle order batsman to bat at 5. We have to strengthen the top 6.

A few dropped catches cost us dearly (Labuschagne's drop of Gill at the end of Day 1 was as big as any IMO - they should have been 2/4 with Rahane out there facing Cummins and Starc at their best) but ultimately you can't win Tests if you can't make 200, and that's a fair chance of happening for the third consecutive (full) innings.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Macca said:

India dominating this test match now ... a minor miracle now required by the Aussies. 

Still no news on where the next test match will definitely be held.  Could still be Sydney but the 3rd test isn't due to start until the 7th Jan anyway.  Not sure why Perth hasn't been talked of as a venue

And if India win the test we'll need to win the series to win back the Border/Gavaskar trophy.  n.b. India have won the last 2 series' between the 2 countries

No it doesn't look good at all Macca however if Green hangs in and can bat right through and put on some modest partnerships with the tail then......Who knows?    I suppose not likely never know. I am putting no pressure on the kid.

That is the last we will see of Burns confident of that sad to see him finish his career like that. The selectors won't take any more of his failures he is too fragile. 

I hope Warner is ready to go next game, I think that it might be played at the G again. Time will tell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

No it doesn't look good at all Macca however if Green hangs in and can bat right through and put on some modest partnerships with the tail then......Who knows?    I suppose not likely never know. I am putting no pressure on the kid.

That is the last we will see of Burns confident of that sad to see him finish his career like that. The selectors won't take any more of his failures he is too fragile. 

I hope Warner is ready to go next game, I think that it might be played at the G again. Time will tell.

The latest with Warner is that he still can't run properly.  Not sure he'd be allowed in from Sydney either due to Covid.  Still, the 3rd test is 10 days away so who knows

Bancroft,  Harris,  Renshaw or Khawaja could come in to open and Wade is best suited to the late middle order.  He's a fighter but not a A grade test opener

Our batting is all over the place with Labuschagne & Smith entering the fray too early. 

Wade or Green but not both?  And Travis Head looks completely out of sorts as well.  The batting is a dogs breakfast right now and India only need to win this test (likely) and 1 more test to retain the trophy

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our batting has been terrible and it starts at the top. Harris and Wade should open the next test. Wade, the same as Labu can't go on from 30 to 40 runs. I would look at Head and I would give the unit the rest of the test series off. He is tired and being seperated from his family is not doing his head space any good. Bowling has been good but batting is under 11s.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next Test confirmed to be held in Sydney

Are they going to be able to have a crowd?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Burns out of the squad. Right call. Warner to replace if fit. If not, Pucovski if fit. If both unfit, Harris gets the spot.

If both Warner and Pucovski are both fit, both play, Wade moves down to number 5 and Head gets dropped. Wade's not an opener but has done more than enough to hold his spot (subject to his own fitness - he wasn't running well in the field after his leg injury).

There's an argument that even if only one of Warner and Pucovski are fit, Head still goes, with Harris coming in and Wade moving down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Are these two meat heads deadset? 
“Hog pile” him for being different, good on you Andrew.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/on-air-gaffe-warne-symonds-in-hot-water-for-mocking-labuschagne-20210108-p56st2.html

Marnus is the normal one and a  good guy. The other two in Shane Warne and Simmonds are ratbags of the highest order.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds on that India is going to get through the entire day losing just three wickets, one of which fell in the first 15 minutes.

It's a flat deck but nevertheless an incredible effort given injuries to Pant, Jadeja and Vihari.

Paine's now dropped three catches today, all of which really should have been taken.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realise before that Paine had also been sledging Ashwin. The sledges themselves didn't seem funny but it just gets even worse when you sledge someone that hard and then fail as badly as Paine did today.

Prior to the sandpaper disgrace the Australian side was developing poor tendencies. Under Langer/Paine that seemed to be rectified initially. It seems to me the side is now slipping back into old habits, with Paine and Wade in particular focusing too much on sledging and "mindgames" rather than just playing cricket.

42 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Drop Paine.

Let Wade keep( he’s no worse).

Playanother batsman.

Smith to captain.

I don't think Smith should ever captain again. If we need a new captain it should be Cummins.

I wouldn't drop Paine but I'd be getting the group together to focus on playing proper cricket again.

I'd drop Wade and replace him with Head, or any other batsman in the country. He's a chronic underperformer.

Horrendous result if Pucovski's hurt his shoulder. If so, I'd play a proper opener in his spot (e.g. Harris), not Wade.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Paine!

Dropped three catches, then sledged Ashwin so hard it increased his concentration and determination.

Has Paine butchered another series for Australia ?

He must get a sore throat from yelling"whoooaaahhh" every ball bowled by Lyon, just as the batsman hits the ball in the middle of the bat.

He doesn't accept the DRS decisions, and shakes his head at umpiring decisions.

What a shocking example he sets to young players Green and Pucovski.

I agree that Cummins is a good character to captain, but it worries me that captaincy could detract from his bowling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

/

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Drop Paine.

Let Wade keep( he’s no worse).

Playanother batsman.

Smith to captain.

Good call time to make Steve Smith captain again .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

   I mentioned the possibility of dropping Paine and using Wade. Carey is another possibility, but it occurred to me that Ben McDermott is a dark horse for the spot.

 All three are ordinary keepers, but  Ben is 8 yrs younger than Paine, and has more upside as a batsman, and, probably as a keeper.

Paine is too old, too undisciplined, too untalented , and tactically poor.

Find another captain.

I've always admired Langer, but it's becoming clear he's not imbuing the proper sportsmanship in the team. He condones Paine calling  Ashwin a d...head, and that Paine's players like him, but Ashwin and Kohli's team-mates don't like them. Petulant and childish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

   I mentioned the possibility of dropping Paine and using Wade. Carey is another possibility, but it occurred to me that Ben McDermott is a dark horse for the spot.

 All three are ordinary keepers, but  Ben is 8 yrs younger than Paine, and has more upside as a batsman, and, probably as a keeper.

Paine is too old, too undisciplined, too untalented , and tactically poor.

Find another captain.

I've always admired Langer, but it's becoming clear he's not imbuing the proper sportsmanship in the team. He condones Paine calling  Ashwin a d...head, and that Paine's players like him, but Ashwin and Kohli's team-mates don't like them. Petulant and childish.

Langer was always a member of Australian Cricket Dark side: witness the bail removal against Sri Lanka. Paine's true colors have emerged - he is a typical spoilt brat Aussie sook - and to even contemplate Smith after his latest escape into follyland is bizarre.

Give it to Cummins, a man who talks the mensch talk and walks it as well. I would love to see an Australian Cricket captain who has read Pascoe's Dark Emu and been affected by it. Can you imagine Clark, Warne or Symonds even reading?????

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the top order have failed again. We badly need a couple of openers who can see out the 1st 20+ overs of a test match. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wade throws his wicket away. Plays a pre meditated shot  Manus gets a hundred and not long after plays a pull shot and skies it. So undisciplined   by both who should have done better. Let their team mates and themselves down.

Those sort of shots are only played when playing park cricket.

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Clutching at straws to blame Paine for that, he had a good test (and a pretty good series save for the horror show in Sydney). 320 should have been enough, we lost the series because Cummins and Hazlewood were the only two bowlers that showed up. Every time Starc or Lyon came on the pressure evaporated. Nothing wrong with Paine's fields so not sure how you can pin it on him.

Full credit to India, one of the all time great backs to the wall performances. Pant is a star.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Clutching at straws to blame Paine for that, he had a good test (and a pretty good series save for the horror show in Sydney). 320 should have been enough, we lost the series because Cummins and Hazlewood were the only two bowlers that showed up. Every time Starc or Lyon came on the pressure evaporated. Nothing wrong with Paine's fields so not sure how you can pin it on him.

Full credit to India, one of the all time great backs to the wall performances. Pant is a star.

Our batting is the issue and we've had major problems building an A Grade Elite batting order since the early 2000's

At times over the last 2 decades we've been very good,  other times average and poor on many other occasions ( e.g. the last time we visited Sri Lanka we lost 3-0)

Batsmen are supposed to set up wins and our batsmen (as a collective) don't deliver

For instance,  we should have made 450+ in the first innings in this test match ... but 4 or 5 batsmen threw their wickets away

Our bowlers were out on ground too much this whole series and that doesn't happen if the batting occupies more of the match time

Placing the blame on Paine's shoulders is classic scapegoating.  His own players let him down (primarily the batsmen)

Selection is the root-cause of our batting woes though.  We pick too many teams for the right-now without having a real eye on the future

Since Michael Clarke we've only produced one long term A Grade Elite batsman - Smith.  Labuschagne could get there but he is not there yet

Warner is good on home decks but struggles overseas. 

Is there anyone else AM?

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Macca said:

Our batting is the issue and we've had major problems building an A Grade Elite batting order since the early 2000's

At times over the last 2 decades we've been very good,  other times average and poor on many other occasions ( e.g. the last time we visited Sri Lanka we lost 3-0)

Batsmen are supposed to set up wins and our batsmen (as a collective) don't deliver

For instance,  we should have made 450+ in the first innings in this test match ... but 4 or 5 batsmen threw their wickets away

Our bowlers were out on ground too much this whole series and that doesn't happen if the batting occupies more of the match time

Placing the blame on Paine's shoulders is classic scapegoating.  His own players let him down (primarily the batsmen)

Selection is the root-cause of our batting woes though.  We pick too many teams for the right-now without having a real eye on the future

Since Michael Clarke we've only produced one long term A Grade Elite batsman - Smith.  Labuschagne could get there but he is not there yet

Warner is good on home decks but struggles overseas. 

Is there anyone else AM?

 

 

Yes how right you are Macca we have two batsman in Smith and Labuschagne that can not carry the the team on their shoulders all of the time. Need an opener and a middle order bat I don't think Wade is the answer his use by date is up and young Green has a future with the Test team and should persevere with him.

Yes our bowlers spent too long on the field in the last two tests and looked tired at times for this test. Would have been good if we rotated an extra bowler in Pattinson through the 4 Tests.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Yes how right you are Macca we have two batsman in Smith and Labuschagne that can not carry the the team on their shoulders all of the time. Need an opener and a middle order bat I don't think Wade is the answer his use by date is up and young Green has a future with the Test team and should persevere with him.

Yes our bowlers spent too long on the field in the last two tests and looked tired at times for this test. Would have been good if we rotated an extra bowler in Pattinson through the 4 Tests.

You're right about rotating the quicks NoSoup ... another selection issue

Pattinson could have played in at least 2 or 3 of the Tests and we wouldn't have been worse off.  Patto is a Test standard quick after all

A bit of foresight knowing that India were always going to take it up to us was all that was required

Most people I spoke to prior to the series were expecting India to be formidable opposition so what were the selectors thinking?

And as for the leadership,  we are paying a price (still) from sandpaper-gate.  Paine was just about the only choice and to blame him for our batting woes is quite ridiculous

The Green & Pukovski selections are a step in the right direction but picking 2 debutants in such an important series tells us where we sit with the batting doesn't it?

Wade,  Harris,  Head & Burns have done very little.  Warner has averaged 16 only & Smith by his own standards has been below par

Labuschagne made 426 runs at 53 whilst Paine averaged 40.  Green averaged 33

We just did not make enough runs especially when considering that their top 7 bowlers were missing for a lot of the time.  Yet their 2nd & 3rd stringers continued to trouble our batting

I wouldn't be going back to Smith as captain though.  And if they are going to play Wade (the keeper) as a batsman why not Alex Carey?  That young fella has got some real talent

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUNDS OF SILENCE by Whispering Jack

    This was my first game for points involving the Demons in more than a year and a half and the long march to Carrara turned out to be worthwhile. The game was won in a single withering quarter that was dominated by Melbourne on the back of an outstanding display from Karen Paxman. The four-time All Australian picked up 13 touches for the stanza to set up a five goal to nothing second term after a lacklustre start in which the cleaner, sharper Gold Coast notched up the first two goals of the game

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 1920 when it finally petered out in April of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...