Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

There's talk that they might rest Pattinson. In such a vital Test?

Second Test selection has Australian cricket in a spin

Surely common sense has to come into it sooner or later and they'll play him in this test and rest him in the 3rd.

If we loose the test, well we're down 2-0 anyway and can't win the series

If we win then it's 1-1 and winning the 3rd test isn't vital, a draw could work just as well without Pattinson leaving him fresh for the 4th.

If Pattinson is rested for this test then the whole policy has gone mad!

Surely common sense has to come into it sooner or later and they'll play him in this test and rest him in the 3rd.

If we loose the test, well we're down 2-0 anyway and can't win the series

If we win then it's 1-1 and winning the 3rd test isn't vital, a draw could work just as well without Pattinson leaving him fresh for the 4th.

If Pattinson is rested for this test then the whole policy has gone mad!

Understand the frustration TD & Macca, but I think they're being prudent with Pattinson. I'll take on board any criticism that comes my way in my support on CA for this, he's a quality player.

I acknowledge my support for Starc to be named in the Boxing Day Test, I believe that is a different scenario. Starc hadn't had the interruptions as Pattinson has and was in form and raring to go with several days rest before the 'G' test. The slightest bit of doubt in PAttinson and back-to-back Tests (3 day break) - not to mention in India - would have accumulated to this decision.

It's hard to win in India, let alone with a squad that many are in India for the first time in a Test series. Our "Final" I believe is the Ashes and I think CA and the team also maintain this is the focus in terms of preparation.

By the way I heard (containing my excitement here) from one of my work colleagues here, that Fawad's application is in the process of being fast tracked for Australian citizenship and should have it very soon. There's a little mail for the D'Land cricket fans. Hot. off. the. press.

Source: A close friend of Ahmed.

• Like 2

Understand the frustration TD & Macca, but I think they're being prudent with Pattinson. I'll take on board any criticism that comes my way in my support on CA for this, he's a quality player.

I acknowledge my support for Starc to be named in the Boxing Day Test, I believe that is a different scenario. Starc hadn't had the interruptions as Pattinson has and was in form and raring to go with several days rest before the 'G' test. The slightest bit of doubt in PAttinson and back-to-back Tests (3 day break) - not to mention in India - would have accumulated to this decision.

It's hard to win in India, let alone with a squad that many are in India for the first time in a Test series. Our "Final" I believe is the Ashes and I think CA and the team also maintain this is the focus in terms of preparation.

By the way I heard (containing my excitement here) from one of my work colleagues here, that Fawad's application is in the process of being fast tracked for Australian citizenship and should have it very soon. There's a little mail for the D'Land cricket fans. Hot. off. the. press.

Good to hear about Ahmed H_T, I think he could be the missing link. I don't expect him to be Shane Warne or even Stuart MacGill. But if we can get a good solid leg spinner who can keep his economy at around the 3 mark and take wickets at about 30 we'll be set!

I do agree that Pattinson is a vital ingredient for the Ashes going forward and he does need to be looked after, however I just think this test is a must win and if we're going to rest him this series the 3rd test would make more sense.

I actually wouldn't be suprised to see 6 quicks go over to the Ashes and there could be a change of three for each test,

1st, 3rd & 5th Tests: Pattinson, Siddle, Starc

2nd & 4th Tests: Harris, Bird, Johnson

Pat Cummins wont be able to get enough cricket under his belt before then. Otherwise I'd probably have him in there ahead of Johnson. Selection for this upcoming test and then the Ashes will be interesting.

Edited by Tall Defence

Good news re Fawad Ahmed.(I still haven't seen him in action but have no reason to doubt all the talk about him) Always like to see a leggie in the Aussie side (esp in our conditions) Interesting that our best performed spinners have just about all been leg spinners. (O'Reilly, Grimmett. Benaud, Warne and MacGill) Love this stat regarding Clarrie Grimmett - in his last 3 Tests for Australia he took 33 wickets (10, 10 and 13). He turned 44 years of age during that last tour ... Australians in South Africa 1935/36

I take your point on board re Patto and the Ashes, but I'm with TD on this one. We have to go all out in this next Test. Lose the 2nd Test and we can't win the series. He bowled 33 overs all up in the 1st Test and probably shouldn't have been used on the 5th day.

I know the Ashes is the 'biggie' in most people's eyes but I view the series' against England, India and South Africa as being of almost equal importance. Always great to beat them and hate losing to them - anytime. I'll admit that the Aussies winning the series in India this time around is a bit of a stretch but you can bet the team hasn't given up on their chances.

If they rest Pattinson so be it, but that would mean that Siddle and/or Starc will play both the opening Tests. Siddle is probably more seasoned but not so sure on Starc. He's probably as much a risk as Patto. We could go into the next Test with our 4 frontline bowlers being Siddle, Johnson, Lyon and Doherty.

Edited by Macca

Victorian Bushrangers - biggest chokers in Australian sport?

Would have to be up there, especially in One Day Domestic Cricket, their receord in the Shield Finals is a little better.

I reckon there could be some tough decision in that squad come seasons end, especially regarding an underperforming and ageing David Hussey when you look at some of the younger players like Handscomb, Hill and Keath who need to start getting more regular games.

Victorian Bushrangers - biggest chokers in Australian sport?

Stosur?

I watched it last night, at 4 for, I thought the Vics did well to get back in it and used the power play at the right time. Particularly with rain around.

Ryan Harris' short ball to McKay was a cracker in the last and was pretty much the sealer with the Vics still needing 3 to win off 3, despite the edge by Ahmed to first slip next ball. Would you call that a choke? I wouldn't.

Stosur?

I watched it last night, at 4 for, I thought the Vics did well to get back in it and used the power play at the right time. Particularly with rain around.

Ryan Harris' short ball to McKay was a cracker in the last and was pretty much the sealer with the Vics still needing 3 to win off 3, despite the edge by Ahmed to first slip next ball. Would you call that a choke? I wouldn't.

Definitely a choke, the chase wasn't huge, we had the batting power, but our top order didn't fire and we left too much to the end, and even then, we needed 9 off the last two overs with 3 wickets in hand. Should have got the job done, I think. And it was at the MCG, home ground advantage.

Stosur is a worse choker, though, I'll pay that.

Edited by titan_uranus

Definitely a choke, the chase wasn't huge, we had the batting power, but our top order didn't fire and we left too much to the end, and even then, we needed 9 off the last two overs with 3 wickets in hand. Should have got the job done, I think. And it was at the MCG, home ground advantage.

Stosur is a worse choker, though, I'll pay that.

Ok, it's a choke. lol.

Fwiw in Qld's innings a second gamer piled on the runs near the end, the Vics could have had them out for 115-120. Despite the rain, I agree the Vics should have still been able to chase down the 147.

I thought McDermott's ball was an absolute cracker to get the 8th? wicket I think.

I definitely thought we had it sewn up when the Vics got a boundary needing 5 off 9? Until McDermott got his wicket. From then on it was up to what was left of the tail (no guarantees).

Thought McDermott and Harris bowled quite well. Don't discount Harris, he still has something left to give for Australia I think.

Ok, it's a choke. lol.

Fwiw in Qld's innings a second gamer piled on the runs near the end, the Vics could have had them out for 115-120. Despite the rain, I agree the Vics should have still been able to chase down the 147.

I thought McDermott's ball was an absolute cracker to get the 8th? wicket I think.

I definitely thought we had it sewn up when the Vics got a boundary needing 5 off 9? Until McDermott got his wicket. From then on it was up to what was left of the tail (no guarantees).

Thought McDermott and Harris bowled quite well. Don't discount Harris, he still has something left to give for Australia I think.

You're not wrong there H_T, that's why I had no issues getting him with a late pick in the cricket draft!

Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Harris, Bird, Johnson, Cummins, Hazlewood. We're certainly spoilt for fast bowling talent. I suspect we'll see Rhino over in England when the Ashes role around.

You're not wrong there H_T, that's why I had no issues getting him with a late pick in the cricket draft!

Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Harris, Bird, Johnson, Cummins, Hazlewood. We're certainly spoilt for fast bowling talent. I suspect we'll see Rhino over in England when the Ashes role around.

And Hilfenhaus.

For this reason, I think we will be mighty competitive in the Ashes. Unlike in 2009, we'll be able to take wickets. Batting obviously needs to improve, but I don't think we'll be scrogged like we were four years ago.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/matthew-wade-set-to-play-in-second-test-against-india-despite-suffering-fracture-to-cheekbone/story-e6frfg8o-1226588841433

And the hits just keep on coming! Looks like he'll still play, but hardly ideal preperation leading into the test. I notice the article also says we're likely to be unchanged. Bad idea I think, but we'll see how well they all respond.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/matthew-wade-set-to-play-in-second-test-against-india-despite-suffering-fracture-to-cheekbone/story-e6frfg8o-1226588841433

And the hits just keep on coming! Looks like he'll still play, but hardly ideal preperation leading into the test. I notice the article also says we're likely to be unchanged. Bad idea I think, but we'll see how well they all respond.

Not much we can do with changes after Bird goes home with stress fractures and we have no decent spinners. Actually Maxwell could have been a handy inclusion.

The possibility that they're even contemplating using either Hughes or Khawaja to 'don the gloves' only highlights the selectors poor decision to not take a reserve keeper on the tour. A few on this thread made mention of this 'oversight' at the time.

Wade's injury may not be that serious but that doesn't rule out the fact that it could be a serious injury. Good luck to Wade and I hope he can get through 5 hot days of fierce cricket with a fractured cheekbone.

Edited by Macca

Fox sports news have just suggested Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Starc likely to miss 2nd Test.

Doherty and Maxwell in.

Huge shock for Lyon given Clarke's support for him 2 days ago.

Spinners paradise predicted once again.

Fox sports news have just suggested Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Starc likely to miss 2nd Test.

Doherty and Maxwell in.

Huge shock for Lyon given Clarke's support for him 2 days ago.

Spinners paradise predicted once again.

Great toss to win. If we had to bat last I would give us very little chance of winning. Lyon out is a surprise. Not sure many saw that coming.

Maxwell is a good inclusion but batting at 8 ?! We bat deep but can we get 20 wickets? We'll need just about everything to go right for us to either level the series or draw the match.

Edited by Macca

3 poor shots from Warner, Cowan and Watson. Ed misses a straight one again, Warner played a terrible shot and Watson tries to pull a ball that was always going to stay low.

Need a rescue mission. Just as well we bat to 8! :) Siddle and Patto can bat as well - we're probably going to need them!

Thank god for Michael Clarke~ And a very gutsy performance by Matthew Wade with his fractured cheekbone. If it weren't for those to we would have got nowhere near that 237.

Bold declaration by Michael Clarke as Pattinson & Doherty could have hanged around for awhile, but I like the move.

We'll really need to bowl well. Don;t want to let India score anymore then 300 max. Hopefully Pattinson can bowl well again or Maxwell or Doherty can pull one out of the bag to help keep us in this series!

Oh and in England cricket related news, was fantastic to see them go down to New Zealand A, or the invitation New Zealand XI or whoever they were....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-new-zealand-2013/content/story/623165.html

Lets hope England can keep that up heading into their next 2 test series.

We are history .

Watson fails again .

Clarke on his own .

Wade batting above his abilities.

Hussey left a big hole.

Completely screwed.

0-4 minimum and Zero hope for the ashes.