Bailey - players finally responding?

AlphaDee

Under ND, the coach and the players were very close (some would say too close) and there was a great bond between them. The players appeared to me to be unhappy with NDs departure but performed reasonably well under MR who had been around the club for a long time and was part of the family.

Bailey, on the other hand, came in as a complete outsider and until recently has been unable to get the more experienced members of our playing group to perform with any passion (Green, Bruce, Davey, JMac, Brock etc).

The passion now seems to be returning and part of the reason could be that Bailey is gaining acceptance and the players are starting to respond to him.

Any thoughts?

I'd say it's more to do with the players coming around to Bailey and the gameplan than vice versa, after all it isn't the coach's job to appease the players.

Under ND, the coach and the players were very close (some would say too close) and there was a great bond between them. The players appeared to me to be unhappy with NDs departure but performed reasonably well under MR who had been around the club for a long time and was part of the family.

Bailey, on the other hand, came in as a complete outsider and until recently has been unable to get the more experienced members of our playing group to perform with any passion (Green, Bruce, Davey, JMac, Brock etc).

The passion now seems to be returning and part of the reason could be that Bailey is gaining acceptance and the players are starting to respond to him.

Any thoughts?

so the players werent confident with the coach?

I'd love to know what went on between Bailey and a couple of the players early in the year, specifically Moloney. There were alot of rumours floating around but from what I've gathered Bailey seems to have worked bloody hard at changing our culture.

I want to see this type of play for the rest of the season. Win or lose, I';d be happy to witness this every weekend. Lets see the same commitment against the saints this weekend & I'll be convinced.

I agree. I want to see the players play with that passion more often, not just because Neita retired.

so the players werent confident with the coach?

I don't think they lacked confidence in Bailey, but there needs to be a chemistry of sorts.

Bailey is probably technically very good and might be a good teacher BUT, in my opinion, the coaches that get the most success are those that also have a strong charisma or a strong bond with their playing group. Only then will the players not only try to do what has been asked of them but will also do it with passion. After all, they are human beings, not machines.

Perhaps the recent improvement with the MFC is partly due to the development of this type of player/coach relationship. I hope so!

I want to see this type of play for the rest of the season. Win or lose, I';d be happy to witness this every weekend. Lets see the same commitment against the saints this weekend & I'll be convinced.

The acid will be on the saints though, both teams should be pretty hard at it.

This isn't a linear thought but bear with me...

I thought we were better off losing on Sunday because a win allows the players to fall back into complacency whereas they are going to have to back up their performance to gain the respect they would have received had we won.

Sounds a little pathetic but we have had a group in previous years that have been too easily pleased with achievements that you couldn't really call achievements: making the finals (not winning one except for 2006), being top or in the top 4 deep in the season (2004, 2005 & 2006), and now I hope that losing gallantly is not another case...

In other words: I would have two performances like that without a win than a win and a blowout next week.

It's very easy to say the players are coming around to Bailey, but the truth is, no-one was saying that in the first half against Freo (who can't even beat Carlton) or when we were disgusting last week against the Crows. I think yesterday stands alone. We were spurred on by Neitz and Kennett's comments and we put our bodies on the line.

That's not a criticism or otherwise of Bailey. The jury is out. But to start saying that Garland is a hero (as some posters suggest), the players are all of a sudden motivated, or to take too much out of 120 minutes of passionate football is a mistake.

It's very easy to say the players are coming around to Bailey, but the truth is, no-one was saying that in the first half against Freo (who can't even beat Carlton) or when we were disgusting last week against the Crows. I think yesterday stands alone. We were spurred on by Neitz and Kennett's comments and we put our bodies on the line.

That's not a criticism or otherwise of Bailey. The jury is out. But to start saying that Garland is a hero (as some posters suggest), the players are all of a sudden motivated, or to take too much out of 120 minutes of passionate football is a mistake.

Garland is simply an improving 20yr old KP back.

We are hoping the players remain motivated.

120 minutes is a lot longer than we have previously shown.

A huge mistake would be to miss the shine amidst the gloom. We are going to have an awful season but positives there will be and Sunday was choc full of them.

Are we hoping for more, of course we are, does not mean we don't see the problems we face.

After watching the game up high in the G.S.Stand yesterday, i came away feeling that we looked like an organised team with a structure and plan that the players actually adhered to. Something i haven't really been able to say this season.

The first game against the Hawks, and a few thereafter, if the ball split in our forward line the opposition would be able to switch and rebound the ball with ease. But yesterday, we had players in position to stop this rebound which forced the Hawks into many errors.

Bailey and the players are improving, although I was baffled at Baileys decision to play James McDonald on Cyril Rioli.

Especially when Sam Mitchell was getting every clearance in the final quarter.

Bailey will be a great coach. I can feel it. Throught these these first 9 weeks he has not lost his passion or pride-He knew it was a Tough job when he took it on ime sure, But i reckon he is a stayer. Success will happen. I hope we totally smash those saints next week.They are a shadow.

After watching the game up high in the G.S.Stand yesterday, i came away feeling that we looked like an organised team with a structure and plan that the players actually adhered to. Something i haven't really been able to say this season.

The structure has changed remarkably since Round 1 and its beginning to pay off. It will give us a basis to work around in the coming years.

Compared to round 1 we had 26 more possesions as a team - 25 were kicks. Big change and in combination with playing some key leading players at half forward it creates space for our forward line to work in.

Definately step in the right direction.

The structure has changed remarkably since Round 1 and its beginning to pay off. It will give us a basis to work around in the coming years.

Compared to round 1 we had 26 more possesions as a team - 25 were kicks. Big change and in combination with playing some key leading players at half forward it creates space for our forward line to work in.

Definately step in the right direction.

also helps when the ball hits the player lol not ten meters short or off to the side or over his head...

We'll see after this round how well they've responded. I'd put last weeks performance on Neitz and Kennett more than Bailey.

I don't think that's fair on the players, or DB for that matter. I'd say that the first quarter can be put down to Neitz and Kennett, emotion can only take you so far, it doesn't make you sustain it for the whole day, especially against the likes of Hawthorne.

I don't think that's fair on the players, or DB for that matter. I'd say that the first quarter can be put down to Neitz and Kennett, emotion can only take you so far, it doesn't make you sustain it for the whole day, especially against the likes of Hawthorne.

Thats a fair point and the saints are definately vulnerable this weekend. I really hope we whip them hard. I have no respect for the Saints-they have been so overrated for the last 10 years. in 2005 they had a Brilliant chance and blew the Prelim (By a whisker i do concede) But Melbourne can beat them