Long time lurker, first time poster.
First Demons training session I have attended since the early/mid 90's when Jelly Legs, Balls, Jacka and Mouse where all still running around. Unfortunately I saw little training that night as they were just finishing up. Luckily we found our way to the change rooms where Garry Lyon held sway and we got to rub shoulders with some of my heroes.
Anyhow, moving on...
Buffalo has summed up the session well so I'll just add some highlights for me:
- Aaron Davey. What a top fella, just absolutely rapt to be there and involved. Lovely bloke and really giving of his time. And still a beautiful kick. So good to see him at the club in any capacity.
- Sam Weideman is much like I have read in other reports, carrying muscle now and a little bit of a strut. When he cracks in there is a decent thump, which I heard whilst on the fence. And his leap will worry opponents.
- Jeff Garlett looks engaged and vibrant. Even aggressive at times. Good to see.
- Steven May is a unit. And looks fitter than previous seasons. Shame about the hamstring niggle.
- Tom McDonald has a great sense of ball drop as a forward. The fact he can see ball, get ball and not care about what his opponent is doing shows what a great move it was sending him forward. Think against Geelong in the Elimination final when Blicavs was looking for Tom and Tom was looking for the ball. He was showing the forwards a few tips regarding timing your jump at the ball and not needing too many steps to get there.
- Angus Brayshaws haircut.
- Gawn and Preuss go together like peas and carrots.
- JKH looks fit and running on top of the ground. There is a really handy player in there, hopefully his confidence at training and VFL translates to AFL.
And lastly, what a great bunch of young men. A credit to the club and their families. After training they were outstanding with the supporters, of which there were quite a few.