Thoughts on the game last night:
- our team defence was good after 1/4 time. We didn’t leak goals out the back and we defended the ground much better
- Marty Hore was fantastic. Intercept marker who reads the play well. If he can use it well he can stay in the team
- Gawn was immense and did as he pleased. Preuss was a presence up forward, but looks to be in trouble with his shoulder.
- there’s a bit of life in the old boy yet. Jones willed himself to contests and showed he still has a role to play.
- we applied pressure inside 50 for the first time all year. It was great to see Sydney unable to clear their defensive 50 for large parts of the game. Spargo was important here. Unlike most he lowers his eyes.
- Salem had another good one.
- we showed more composure coming out of backline last night, but still hacked it out at times. Does Lewis come straight back in next week?
- credit to Frosty. Knew his role, played his role. For mine, he plays ahead of Oscar when May and Lever return. Just keep things simple for him.
- I thought Trac looked dangerous. Loved his battle with Rampe.
- I’d hate to have Jayden Hunt on my tail if the ball hit the ground in my back line. He adds a different dimension up there.
- Florent, Zac Jones and Heeney were very good on the wings for Sydney. What I wouldn’t give for some class, outside run. Billy Stretch deserved his opportunity but was lead to the ball far too often at center bounces.
- I thought for the first time all year we were daring with the ball and took some risks by trying to move the ball through the corridor.
- I’m not sure our opposition were much good, so I’m not getting carried away with the win.
- Cameron Ling, of all people, made a really good observation last night. He said, “Melbourne have rediscovered how hard you have to work to be a really good team”. Better late than never.
Bring on the Saints.