Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

New coach, new footy manager, new Physical Preparation Manager?????

Len 43 Gandini

Can we please rid ourselves of our "Physical Preparation Manager" (a joke of a job title) and sack Bohdan Babijczuk?

He has been a disaster from day 1. Anyone who supports him is obviously part of the Babijczuk family. So to you, I appologise for wanting to sack one of your dear family members. It is nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely guy, its just that he is BAD LUCK.

I know some of our injuries this year were impact related, but too many of them were groin, hammies, etc.

PLUS

WE WERE UNFIT ALL YEAR

BBP I'm not having a crack at you but I'd be very interested to hear some of these expert comments. There seems to be a lot of hyperbole flying around about Babijczuk and very little in the way of fact. What are his methods? Why are they inappropriate? What evidence exists to support the view we were lacking in the fitness department? Lack of finess or lack of ticker? How often did we have to play guys in the middle for longer than we would like because we had to due to injury? How often were our bench rotations minimized by injury? How young (and lacking in pre-seasons) was our midfield at times?

Agree, sack him.

I've heard heaps of experts comment that he's methods are more suited to athletics than footy.

Tatally agree. Was great blunder in slimming our team down and went from best tackling side in 2006 to one of least physical team in 2007! Pt Adelaide boys are hard bodies & expect Bailey to drive this not the other way around. Was a case of the tail wagging the dog! Dean and CC need to clean out ALL the dead wood in MFC & have that opportunity now. Other than CAC and Mark Williams who needs to be retained as Sandy coach rest should go.

It is nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely guy, its just that he is BAD LUCK.

Lets all get rabbit's feet and horse shoes if that will improve our luck!

Bad luck is a transparent and shallow substitute for actually doing a review as to what really was the cause of our decline this year.

If the review reveals that he or others failed in fulfilling their roles then fine sack him.

But lets avoid a witchburning session ahead of the facts. Its solves nothing.

Agree, sack him.

I've heard heaps of experts comment that he's methods are more suited to athletics than footy.

There have been a number on this site who without any substantive information have come to the same conclusion. Do we actually know what his role was at the Club? Do we actually know what methods he implemented during the past 12 months and what their impact has been?

I think not.

This will be the test for Bailey now. He has to choose wisely.

I think we have done well getting Connolly in a position where he belongs and now we need to work on getting players right. We really went ballistic after the Freo final to trim down and become an elite running outfit, which may have hurt us. Our early injuries like McLean were impact but when we finally recovered mid season to at least get players on the park, we got a lot of soft tissue non impact injuries.

I can't help but think our players have some of the worst techniques and get injured. Bartram last year getting sandwiched, got tangled and stuffed his ankle. did not keep his feet. Wheatley badly dislocated a shoulder going to ground by himself after his opponent marked it. Neitz did his knee just sliding for a mark (maybe unlucky)

I hope Bailey doesn't stop now and makes more changes where required.

I get the feeling however some of the experienced players may survive now we've had 3 retirements. hope not.

BBP I'm not having a crack at you but I'd be very interested to hear some of these expert comments. There seems to be a lot of hyperbole flying around about Babijczuk and very little in the way of fact. What are his methods? Why are they inappropriate? What evidence exists to support the view we were lacking in the fitness department? Lack of finess or lack of ticker? How often did we have to play guys in the middle for longer than we would like because we had to due to injury? How often were our bench rotations minimized by injury? How young (and lacking in pre-seasons) was our midfield at times?

One more question to add to your list:

What's his record like?

Tatally agree. Was great blunder in slimming our team down and went from best tackling side in 2006 to one of least physical team in 2007!

How much weight was lost by the team this year? There are multitude of reasons why we were the worst tackling side this year. That was not one of the reasons.

The only player who lost any noticeable body weight was Nathan Jones (approx. 4 kgs) to allow him to run out games that last year he did not have the legs for. And gee hasnt he been a disaster! :rolleyes:

Correct Goodvibes.

They are some of the relevant questions that should be asked as part of the review.

ATM, the most important issue is to assess his record at MFC and its impact not smear by innuendo.

And injuries arising from the contact or through motions in the game are often not necessarily technique issues. And anyway how can an adviser who has been in the role less than 12 months be responsible for the physical characteristics of players that have been built up over 20 to 30 years?

How much weight was lost by the team this year? There are multitude of reasons why we were the worst tackling side this year. That was not one of the reasons.

The only player who lost any noticeable body weight was Nathan Jones (approx. 4 kgs) to allow him to run out games that last year he did not have the legs for. And gee hasnt he been a disaster! :rolleyes:

Must disagree here Rhino a number of players trimmed down. I do agree that the reason for this needs to be ascertained before we go sacking people. I do believe however that BB was asked to trim the players down and he did that on the request of the Coach ND who wanted a running side. Someone can correct me if they actually know otherwise.

Can we please rid ourselves of our "Physical Preparation Manager" (a joke of a job title) and sack Bohdan Babijczuk?

He has been a disaster from day 1. Anyone who supports him is obviously part of the Babijczuk family. So to you, I appologise for wanting to sack one of your dear family members. It is nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely guy, its just that he is BAD LUCK.

I know some of our injuries this year were impact related, but too many of them were groin, hammies, etc.

PLUS

WE WERE UNFIT ALL YEAR

Hear, Hear!

Back to the Romanian weightlifting team mate - your methods don't work on athletes who aren't on the gear.

Must disagree here Rhino a number of players trimmed down. I do agree that the reason for this needs to be ascertained before we go sacking people. I do believe however that BB was asked to trim the players down and he did that on the request of the Coach ND who wanted a running side. Someone can correct me if they actually know otherwise.

Redleg,

There was an exercise done by an investigative poster who should the net weight loss from players on our list was approx 10 to 12 kgs across a team list of 35 players weighing on average 85kgs each. Less than 0.5% of body mass.

Jones has lost weight and has benefited to suit his plan.

But I agree with all your other ascertions. People forget that its the FD that sets the requirements and the FA merely implements them. Judgement of performance should be on actual respective roles not on supposition and runour.

If Ben Holland gives it up, can he PLEASE be kept on over summer to work with Paul Johnson, Juice Newton, Matthew Bate and our other young talls and teach them proper weight training?

Dutchys prepartion skilld are amongst the best in the AFL, and his muscle definition is up there with Ben Cousins and Nathan Buckley, getting our boys solid as a rock, but still very athletic, should be a priority

PLUS

WE WERE UNFIT ALL YEAR

Very childish comments about only family members supporting Bohdan. Maybe Rhino Richards and I were born in the Ukraine. Yea, Richards and Mckenzie they sound pretty Russian names don't they? It seems Len, that you have absolutely no idea of injuries and their cause. BB has another year on his contract so don't get too excited. I have studied sports medicine and read many journal articles on injuries. They all say the same. There is NOTHING ONE CAN DO ABOUT HAMSTRING INJURIES so all the stretching in the world by the fitness manager won't help. Do you honestly blame BB for Moloney's groin injury. If so, then you should point the finger at Eagles fitness man with his poor management of Chris Judd. Stop witch hunting mate!

Yeah, he has another year to run on his contract. I'd like him to go, but it won't happen.

Let's be honest, some of our soft tissue injuries such as hamstring soreness and missing games happening to our younger group, is not a good sign. We were unlucky with some injuries in games but there seemed to be too high a isoft tissue njury list from training occurring.

His background is athletics and he trained Hawthorn and us like we are sprinters. This is why they had such a high injury rate when he was thier advisor back then. Look at the guy at st kilda a few years back, he did the same thing and that's why he got the arse.

Football isn't a game of sprinting, it's a speed endurance based game. you can't train footballers to be sprinters, footballers need to be trained to run and kick, not kick and run as we have.

I've also studied in this area and worked in it for 7 years at various junior clubs including Eastern Ranges for 5 years with the fitness and rehab. I'm no guru but I think I've learnt a little over this time and would I want a job at this level, nah not on your life. Your head is the first to go before the coaches!

Anyhow, lets see what happens this pre season coming as Bailey has already spoken to him about his thoughts on it all.

Yeah, he has another year to run on his contract. I'd like him to go, but it won't happen.

Let's be honest, some of our soft tissue injuries such as hamstring soreness and missing games happening to our younger group, is not a good sign. We were unlucky with some injuries in games but there seemed to be too high a isoft tissue njury list from training occurring.

His background is athletics and he trained Hawthorn and us like we are sprinters. This is why they had such a high injury rate when he was thier advisor back then. Look at the guy at st kilda a few years back, he did the same thing and that's why he got the arse.

Football isn't a game of sprinting, it's a speed endurance based game. you can't train footballers to be sprinters, footballers need to be trained to run and kick, not kick and run as we have.

I've also studied in this area and worked in it for 7 years at various junior clubs including Eastern Ranges for 5 years with the fitness and rehab. I'm no guru but I think I've learnt a little over this time and would I want a job at this level, nah not on your life. Your head is the first to go before the coaches!

Anyhow, lets see what happens this pre season coming as Bailey has already spoken to him about his thoughts on it all.

Fair enough comments Hendo, but people must realise that Bohdan only does what he is told by coaching staff. ND wanted faster players so BB worked on the sprinting side of fitness and so on. It is really unfair to blame a bloke who acts under instructions. Different matter if he had been given a free opportunity to develop what HE considered was desirable fitness. He simply wasn't.

It is really unfair to blame a bloke who acts under instructions. Different matter if he had been given a free opportunity to develop what HE considered was desirable fitness. He simply wasn't.

Wait a minute.

Isn't it exactly the same fitness regime he instigated at his last two clubs?

Hawthorn and Melbourne.

It shows that if you want that style you employ BB. He has not shown any variation at all.

If you dont want that style, you dont want Bohdan.

Therefore you get rid of him.

If a player is unfit, not in a condition to survive aN AFL match, THAT PLAYER IS GOING TO GET HURT IN ALL KINDS OF WAYS, I suspect that ND was responsible for this fitness bloke, he made a mistake. The team that fronted up on match day number 1 representing the MFC was a shambolic rabble and I blame everybody in the football department. That team if people would like to caste thir mind back to that horrible day against the Saints where extremely unfit, you only had to look at their body language. I prey God that the new coach will do the necessary to put things right. Remember, it doesn't take long at all to become unfit, ample time in the off season to fall apart, witness one B Pickett.

I feel we are going to bounce back very strongly next season having said all that

For what its worth I read an article not too long ago, where Campbell Brown praised Bohdan and said that he still recieved fitness advice from him.

This is from a bloke who has just had his best season at AFL level.

I don't think Bohdan is the curse that posters on the internet make him out to be.

Hopefully our new footy dept are aware that Australian football is a RUNNING game. Many many k's are needed under the belt in the preseason. The dogma of the 90's that running causes stress on the body, and is undesirable, is now defunct. What should be banned is weight training of the lower body, which, IMHO is the cause of osteitis pubis.

He has been a disaster from day 1. ... It is nothing personal, I am sure he is a lovely guy, its just that he is BAD LUCK.

i think you probably hit the nail on the head with this post.

you are claiming that BB is bad luck. that has nothing to do with his methods or training. perhaps he brings bad luck. but i still believe that anything BB does would be under direction of the footy dept, and from sources that count i have heard nothing but good things about BB.

I think he has tried to implement what he believes works,which was the same at Hawthorn but it hasn't worked again this year. His methods are too speed based, there needs to be a balance which he needs to find for the players.

Campbell brown - didn't know how to run and was very slow at 16 and 17, thats when BB worked with him.

Banning weight training of the lower limbs - show us the research that shows that this causes op - (its been shown that a lack of/delay in the Transverse Abdominis muscle, is a cause of groin related pain.)

Weight training of the lower limbs is fundamental to power/speed development, and also doing weight training on the lower limbs especially helps proper core functioning and control around the hips/glutes. if this is done properly, then op and other niggles such as patella tendonitis shouldnt occur.

Hence u need the weight training to make sure those muscles, especially the glutes, deep abdominals and low back muslces are functioning properly. sorry JUMPING JACK CLENNETT ure theory just doesnt stand up. Any bloke I had who was suffering from op, worked on thier lower limbs to establish control in the later stages of return to play.