Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sheedy a missed opportunity

Bay Riffin

People say they have faith in the process right before we get the coach that they don't want. Here's a strange notion.....why don't you trust the club. We have gone through an exhuastive process to get the best coach available. The panel was UNANIMOUS in their selection of Bailey, doesn't that tell you something?

if anyone on this board knows footy it is me

So are you saying you know more about football than Gary Lyon, Peter Schwab, and Nathan Burke? Because clearly if you think Sheedy should've gotten the job over Bailey, than you must know more then them. :rolleyes:

Good luck to Bailey, i don't know about anyone else here but i'm going to throw my full support behind him for next year and, hopefully, many years to come.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say they have faith in the process right before we get the coach that they don't want. Here's a strange notion.....why don't you trust the club. We have gone through an exhuastive process to get the best coach available. The panel was UNANIMOUS in their selection of Bailey, doesn't that tell you something?

So are you saying you know more about football than Gary Lyon, Peter Schwab, and Nathan Burke? Because clearly if you think Sheedy should've gotten the job over Bailey, than you must know more then them. :rolleyes:

The selection is also a pretty big whack to those people who say that Garry Lyon doesn't love the club. Quite a few on here and elsewhere were bemoaning the fact that he was a good mate of Connolly so he couldn't make an impartial decision in the best interests of the club.

The unanimous selection of Bailey makes those comments seem a little foolish now doesn't it.

This is ridiculous. We have had the most extensive recruitment campaign involving hours of interviews, match day simulations, one on one talks with players from in and out of the club and everyone of the review panel nominated Bailey as one of the two stand outs.

Under these circumstances if they had chosen Donald Duck, I would still be pleased. The process has chosen us a coach that can coach well.

As for marketing the brand, for crying out loud, we got a coach who can possibly instill some grit, backbone and a system that would win some games. Isn't that marketing enough?

Everyone wants a messiah ffs! We dont need a person to magically fix everything, we need someone to give us success on the field so we can fix things ourselves.

As for marketing the brand, for crying out loud, we got a coach who can possibly instill some grit, backbone and a system that would win some games. Isn't that marketing enough?

It obviously wasn't enough for the Kangas in the '90's!!

G'day Fellow Demons Supporters!

I too had hoped that the Demons would select Kevin Sheedy as our new coach. But that wasn't to be.

In many ways Kevin Sheedy would have been the safe/easy option for us.

Choosing Dean Bailey (a bloke I had never heard of until now) really is quite a daring risk.

I respect the MFC board for thinking outside the square, and I hope that time will tell we made the right decision.

No matter what the case I will support the MFC board's choice as coach and give Dean Bailey a chance to prove himself as a successful AFL coach.

Message to Dean Bailey: THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB DEMANDS A PREMIERSHIP!!!!

Go Demons in 2008!?

From Supreme_Demon

It obviously wasn't enough for the Kangas in the '90's!!

Would they still be at Arden St in their present form if they'd never won those two flags ?

Not to mention the exhaltation of the experiences borne. Afterall, if you're not in the hunt for flags you're taking up too much space.

The selection is also a pretty big whack to those people who say that Garry Lyon doesn't love the club. Quite a few on here and elsewhere were bemoaning the fact that he was a good mate of Connolly so he couldn't make an impartial decision in the best interests of the club.

The unanimous selection of Bailey makes those comments seem a little foolish now doesn't it.

As you said, the panel had to nominate two. Lyon could have suggested Bailey and Connolly.

That said, I don't buy into the 'Lyon's mates with Chris so he will vote for him' line.

That said, I don't buy into the 'Lyon's mates with Chris so he will vote for him' line.

If anything he'd do the opposite to seem impartial. That's why he was planning on excusing himself from that interview because it's so hard to judge a mate. He had to join in in the end, otherwise there just wouldn't have been enough footy guys on the panel.

1 flag in over 100 years

More wooden spoons than any other club

St.Kilda= Losers

I am so incredibly thrilled that Adelaide won last night and pushed them out of the finals!

Jaded, you could not be more right.

The Sainters are a Foundation Club. They have won one premiership by one point against a club that had a greater curse on it at the time. They have enough spoons to fill up a B-52.

The Dogs also have some sort of curse on them as well. If Liberatore's goal had been allowed in the 97 Preliminary, I am not quite sure that the football gods would have allowed either of them to win in a direct match up.

Biffinator.

No

When there is a coach available that has won 4 flags, whilst the other candidates have done sweet [censored] all, I think it is a fair to say the giuy with 4 flags at the elite level is the best coach

Now please edit your post so that it says you have no clue, cos if anyone on this board knows footy it is me

Sorry Yze Magic, but I don't agree.

I am glad that Sheedy and his continent-sized ego got the [censored]-slap. May he hate us even more.

Sheedy is an Essendon icon. if they do not want him any more, there must be a very deepset view that the game is passing him by.

bailey must have gunned the process to beat this field. It was a bailey, after all, who in 87 provided us with the first addition to the silverware cupboard since 64. I hope this is auspicious.

Biffinator

1 flag in over 100 years

More wooden spoons than any other club

St.Kilda= Losers

I am so incredibly thrilled that Adelaide won last night and pushed them out of the finals!

Success is relative isn't it? One of our biggest problems is that even though we haven't won a flag in 43 years, our supporters rejoice in the fact that at least we have won more than St Kilda, Footscray etc, etc. Mediocrity far too easily accepted - and then the temerity to accuse the players of being soft!!

Would they still be at Arden St in their present form if they'd never won those two flags ?

Not to mention the exhaltation of the experiences borne. Afterall, if you're not in the hunt for flags you're taking up too much space.

I'm rapt they won two flags in the '90's. Proved that a small inner Melbourne club could compete with and beat the corporations. My point is that despite their success not even ten years ago, it was not enough to sustain them long term in Melbourne. You know as well as I that it is only a matter of time before their move to the GC becomes permanent. Marketing is as important as on-field success. Collingwood has won 1 flag in 50 years yet have always marketed themselves brilliantly, much as it pains me to say it! I think Bailey may be able to coach, but we need to market the club much better. It's a simple fact of sporting life!

Success is relative isn't it? One of our biggest problems is that even though we haven't won a flag in 43 years, our supporters rejoice in the fact that at least we have won more than St Kilda, Footscray etc, etc. Mediocrity far too easily accepted - and then the temerity to accuse the players of being soft!!

Errrr, when did our success come into it?

We've been extremely poor in the last 40 odd years, there is no denying that, but we have 11 more premierships than the Saints, we've played off in more Grand Finals, have won less spoons and were once a powerhouse.

Sure, that's all in the past now, but I find it ironic that St.Kilda supporters feel the need to dispense advice about winners and losers and success. They wouldn't know what success is.

And yes, I really really hate that club! <_<

but we need to market the club much better. It's a simple fact of sporting life!

Mate, it's a simple fact of sporting life that the best way to market the club is by winning games.

No

When there is a coach available that has won 4 flags, whilst the other candidates have done sweet [censored] all, I think it is a fair to say the giuy with 4 flags at the elite level is the best coach

Now please edit your post so that it says you have no clue, cos if anyone on this board knows footy it is me

"cos if anyone on this board knows footy it is me" - YM, having reviewed heaps of your posts, most others on this site have more footy knowledge in their little toes.

Maybe you should stop being such a [censored] and support the club with a positive outlook to the future.

Mate, it's a simple fact of sporting life that the best way to market the club is by winning games.

Hannabal, I'll forgive your ignorance on such matters and simply point out that whilst you are having a period of success you need to be able to capitalise on this through astute marketing. Winning helps but it does not necessarily translate to long term support or financial success e.g North Melbourne. You may have forgotten that Hawthorn almost merged in 1996 - only 5 years after their last flag because marketing wise they failed to capitalise on their sustained succes of the 1970's and 80's.

So, winning games does not necessarily market the club - it may give it a short or long term high profile but not necessarily profitability. Cheers!!

Hannabal, I'll forgive your ignorance on such matters and simply point out that whilst you are having a period of success you need to be able to capitalise on this through astute marketing. Winning helps but it does not necessarily translate to long term support or financial success e.g North Melbourne. You may have forgotten that Hawthorn almost merged in 1996 - only 5 years after their last flag because marketing wise they failed to capitalise on their sustained succes of the 1970's and 80's.

So, winning games does not necessarily market the club - it may give it a short or long term high profile but not necessarily profitability. Cheers!!

Only a simpleton would try to simplify the generational support of VFL clubs. I'll try to dumb it down for you. Clubs that entered the competition in the 1920's will always be at a disadvantage. Their generational support is clearly behind foundation clubs and always will be. And in a 10 team state the problems won't be going away. Hence your love of marketing. But marketing won't change history. Sheeds has done marvellously at Essendon because he combined winning with marketing, but make no mistake, without winning and flags his tenure would've finished 20 years ago. It's his 4 flags that give him cred. Why do you think that he refers to his flags just about every time he opens his gob.

You've earned a doctorate in the bleeding obvious to suggest that clubs need good marketing. But the best marketing in the world won't help an uncompetitive organisation. Facts are, winning games of footy, in the business of footy, is paramount. It's (obviously) not to say that it shouldn't be coupled with a great administration as success on the field can be short lived, and one usually follows the other, but there's no greater way to ensure longevity in this competition than winning games of footy.

Btw, if I thought that this club wasn't going to win a flag in my lifetime then I'd quit being a supporter right now. It's that hope that keeps my fires burning. If you're not in the business of winning games of footy and flags then you may as well turn up your toes. Many supporters are different and won't understand, nor appreciate, my view, but winning flags is all that cuts it with me. The infamous 'journey' means jack schitt without the most inspiring of memories. As I'm too young to savour our most recent success it goes without saying that I've only had a couple of truly great footy memories. And they're 20 years ago.

Basically, my entire footy journey is void of decent memories. Celebrating the Ray Biffins of this world is the highest level for most readers on here, and it just doesn't cut it with me. Celebrating Garry Lyon's career doesn't cut it for me, or Tingay, Jakovich, Viney, or, dare I say, Warren Dean. The marketing aspect of any club is (obviously) important, but for me, it's about winning. Until we change our mindset as supporters we'll cry over lost opportunities to recruit the Kevin Sheedy's of this world rather than embrace the possibility of improving our list with the latest breed of great young coaches that hopefully will provide the best opportunities to win games of footy. Like Kevin showed all those years ago.

You stick to marketing and I'll crave my flag.

but its not the senior coach at the Magpies who has marketed them brilliantly

Spot on! Reread my earlier post on this thread and you'll see that I'm not suggesting the coach market the club, just that we get somebody who can do it properly. Isn't Gardner supposed to be top of the tree in advertising?; wasn't Harris a big wig with the Age? Why did Danners need to become "The Reverend"? Marketing is everything to develop a brand - we have been shocking at it for a long time. We are one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world. We carry the name Melbourne. Everybody else should be chasing us instead of laughing at us! Bailey will need all the help he can get in making this club successful. We need a full time spruiker!

You stick to marketing and I'll crave my flag.

And there it is - proof positive of your lack of vision and understanding. We all want a premiership; but ask Fitzroy supporters which is more important - the Club or the Flag? We need visionaries to grow the brand. Success helps that but it can't sustain an organisation on its own. Your diatribe and insinuation that I am a simpleton because I can clearly articulate a view which is different to your own says much about you Hannabal. Our club is at the cross roads. If we cannot build a sustainable support base then we are in trouble longer term! We'll see if we can get that flag before then! Your generational support argument is an interesting one. Is our poor membership in comparison to other clubs due to our poor performance or our poor marketing? We have played finals in 4 of the past 6 years, the best record of any Vic club yet lag behind many poor poorer performers over that period. Surely as the oldest club we should be generationally predisposed to higher levels of support!

You know what I want even more than a flag - respect for this club and to be able to guarantee my kids that their team will still be around when they are my age. I'd love a flag too, but for many footy is about more than winning; it's a way of life - many supporters have been lost to the game because their administrations didn't do enough early enough.

You know what I want even more than a flag - respect for this club and to be able to guarantee my kids that their team will still be around when they are my age. I'd love a flag too, but for many footy is about more than winning; it's a way of life - many supporters have been lost to the game because their administrations didn't do enough early enough.

We're where we are because we haven't won a flag in 43 years. We lack supoport because we hardly won a game in the 1970's. How long ago was Fitzroy's last flag ? It explains their demise. Why did South move to Sydney ? Their lack of success. Success breeds success. Winning breeds winning.

And then you talk about my favourite chestnut, "respect". I couldn't give a rat's toss bag about 'respect'. I couldn't care less what the general footy community thinks of my club, because, you know what, if you're winning the rest follows. @#$% respect. How often do I hear our players talk about regaining respect at the beginning of a season ? Way too often is the answer. Win games of footy and you'll have all the respect you crave.

I too have children. Two boys - 6 and 7. One wore his Dees guernsey all day after Auskick. But if I thought that they'd be no flag for them by the time they're my age I'd tell them to follow another team.

If you're not winning flags, or puting yourself in a position to win them, then you're wasting the competitions time. And you'll end up like Fitzroy, or South.

So is my love of the MFC qualified ? Absolutely. It's not unconditional. Any relationship is a two way street. A flag has to be the unwavering goal. I'm glad you don't run the club Warren. It's softys like you that have got us in this position. It's not a lack of marketing. It's a lack of winning. And why haven't we won ? Because we're too pleased with second best and just satisfied existing, so your children have a club to support when they're your age. Big deal. There are 15 others.