Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Soccer thread

45HG

38 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

These are the teams of my childhood, too, Macca, and while I've been always a Spurs supporter, I did have a little dalliance with Leeds back in the Gordon Strachan days, Gary Speed etc.

Tottenham will be thereabouts again this year but can't see us challenging for the premiership - we're just a step below the likes of City and Liverpool in the talent stakes. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the owner's 'no big spending' policy will have us treading water as a top 6 side whose main aim each year is to qualify for CL. 

It's funny, I was watching the Spurs - Watford game this morning and Watford were pressing hard with Tottenham 1-0 ahead. At times like that, I would normally pray to the sporting gods to not let the other team score, but I made a conscious decision to let it pass, thinking to myself that I need to save my prayers for Friday night against the Cats. Sure enough, we conceded 2 in about 5 minutes!

Spurs just have to win those types of games to challenge GV ... in fact,  to be the best means that the best team has to be great as a minimum.  City gained 100 points last season and if that's the benchmark,  'Elite-Great' might be required. 

Watford are flying at the moment - 4 from 4 and can they keep it up?  There always seems to be at least 1 minnow team that is thereabouts.  Last year it was Burnley and of course we all know the achievement of Leicester from just 3 years ago.  The biggest underdog win I've seen in terms of how long they had to maintain winning form.

City can be knocked off but the better teams will all need to take points off them - win against them if we're being honest.  Man City could be expected to just about gain maximum points against the rest. 

As for Friday,  win or lose we all just want to see maximum commitment.  And there's no reason why we can't do that as that's what we've done for the most part all season.  And if we win,  the sky is the limit.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, Macca said:

Spurs just have to win those types of games to challenge GV ... in fact,  to be the best means that the best team has to be great as a minimum.  City gained 100 points last season and if that's the benchmark,  'Elite-Great' might be required. 

Watford are flying at the moment - 4 from 4 and can they keep it up?  There always seems to be at least 1 minnow team that is thereabouts.  Last year it was Burnley and of course we all know the achievement of Leicester from just 3 years ago.  The biggest underdog win I've seen in terms of how long they had to maintain winning form.

City can be knocked off but the better teams will all need to take points off them - win against them if we're being honest.  Man City could be expected to just about gain maximum points against the rest. 

As for Friday,  win or lose we all just want to see maximum commitment.  And there's no reason why we can't do that as that's what we've done for the most part all season.  And if we win,  the sky is the limit.

I just feel like Spurs were one class signing away from being genuine contenders. Kane, Eriksen and Alli are world class but you just feel they needed one more real x-factor to take them to the next level. Someone like Anthony Martial would give them a real edge but of course they are unlikely to spend. I still think they are in decent shape though. Much better than United!

On 9/5/2018 at 11:36 PM, layzie said:

I just feel like Spurs were one class signing away from being genuine contenders. Kane, Eriksen and Alli are world class but you just feel they needed one more real x-factor to take them to the next level. Someone like Anthony Martial would give them a real edge but of course they are unlikely to spend. I still think they are in decent shape though. Much better than United!

Although I do watch every spurs game its hard to agree with that. yes we beat them 3-0, but their midfield dominated ours, with that being said they missed alot of good chances and had a mare in defence. we havn't been too impressive so far imho even with the 3-0 start

25 minutes ago, Dees'97 said:

Although I do watch every spurs game its hard to agree with that. yes we beat them 3-0, but their midfield dominated ours, with that being said they missed alot of good chances and had a mare in defence. we havn't been too impressive so far imho even with the 3-0 start

A slight exaggeration of course, but I’d much rather be a spurs fan than a devils fan right now. Still expect them to finish top 4.

Edited by layzie

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

A slight exaggeration of course, but I’d much rather be a spurs fan than a devils fan right now. Still expect them to finish top 4.

true true, hard to tell over the web haha sorry. yeah top 4 expected, but i really hope we can pick up some better form

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dees'97 said:

true true, hard to tell over the web haha sorry. yeah top 4 expected, but i really hope we can pick up some better form

Well I hate United as well so I don’t miss a chance to sink the boot in! 

They were just crying out for that one more quality signing. The kind of player that can help get a result when things aren’t going their way. Still a good side though. 

8 hours ago, layzie said:

Well I hate United

Really? 

I quite admire Man Utd ... they have been incredibly successful and other clubs should aspire to be as successful.

As long as those other teams have the money to do so of course ... but there are at least 5 other clubs with enough money.

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Really? 

I quite admire Man Utd ... they have been incredibly successful and other clubs should aspire to be as successful.

As long as those other teams have the money to do so of course ... but there are at least 5 other clubs with enough money.

Oh from a respect level I absolutely admire them. Some of my favourite all time players were United and Ferguson is a great story, I recently read his book. Just like the Patriots, I do enjoy watching excellence.

But as a scouse fan I have to hate them, it's my job!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, layzie said:

Oh from a respect level I absolutely admire them. Some of my favourite all time players were United and Ferguson is a great story, I recently read his book. Just like the Patriots, I do enjoy watching excellence.

But as a scouse fan I have to hate them, it's my job!

Ha ha ha!

• Like 1

The Nations League has been a huge step up from the 'Friendlies' that we've otherwise been subjected to during the International weeks.  And the Countries involved are seemingly taking the games seriously too. 

The concept is quite easy to understand with the winners of each of the 4 groups within the B,  C & D Leagues all being promoted whilst the last place-getter within the groups in the A,  B & C Leagues all being relegated.   And of course the 4 winners within the 4 groups in League A all get to play off for the Nations League trophy (on a biennial basis)

Thus because of the greater importance of these Nations League games (replacing a lot of friendly games) the FIFA World rankings will therefore have greater credibility.  The games also count towards the next European Cup qualification.

I reckon it's a terrific concept.

Nations Cup Standings

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, layzie said:

So currently 2-0 with 20 mins left. Spurs have had moments but have generally looked off the boil. 

My main interest was the +2.5 goals line for the match ... seemed a 'moral' with this clash. 

Didn't watch as I'm in full footy mode this weekend.  Home match for Tottenham too so it could have been presumed that they'd have gone at your blokes.

• 2 weeks later...

West Ham have rallied!  12th!

Always nice to get a big scalp too ... Man Utd have got some issues though.  Pogba taken off in the 70th minute. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 11:24 PM, Macca said:

West Ham have rallied!  12th!

Always nice to get a big scalp too ... Man Utd have got some issues though.  Pogba taken off in the 70th minute. 

Never looked in doubt, Macca! As you say, Man U have some serious issues and the heat is right up on Jose.

I celebrated the end of footy season by watching a soccer triple-header on Saturday night, the Hammers v Man U televised game, then Spurs at Huddersfield followed by the Chelsea-Liverpool clash. 

Hazard is on fire at the minute but the last minute equaliser from Sturridge was a beauty, and worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Never looked in doubt, Macca! As you say, Man U have some serious issues and the heat is right up on Jose.

I celebrated the end of footy season by watching a soccer triple-header on Saturday night, the Hammers v Man U televised game, then Spurs at Huddersfield followed by the Chelsea-Liverpool clash. 

Hazard is on fire at the minute but the last minute equaliser from Sturridge was a beauty, and worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. 

Got the highlights package recorded GV so will keep an eye out for the Sturridge goal. 

Top of the table clash next Monday morning (1.30am) ... Liverpool vs Man City.  Should be a ripper from a neutral's viewpoint.  

And if Man Utd keep dropping points then you'd reckon there could be casualties sooner rather than later.  Jose is in his 3rd year there and history tells us that his 3rd year anywhere doesn't always end well.

Meanwhile,  your Spurs keep winning along with the Gunners & Chelsea to keep it all interesting.  Man City are still the team to beat though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big win for the Dutch this morning over Germany ... I believe the win is a historic win in terms of how long it's been or suchlike.  Highlights ...

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

Tuned in to the A-League opener tonight at about 60 mins. Decent game from what I saw, sounded like Victory really should have taken the points. Will try to get down for a game or two. 

Was a cracker Layzie. VAR played a huge part again. Bozza was spitting chips at half time and I mean he was going ballistic, he couldn’t believe City were awarded the penalty upon review and subsequently equalised.

I’m pretty sure the bloke that scored the winner did it with his first touch of the game.

40,000+ in attendance.

Edit: Real Madrid 2-0 down at home to Levante just before half time. Goodness me.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Was a cracker Layzie. VAR played a huge part again. Bozza was spitting chips at half time and I mean he was going ballistic, he couldn’t believe City were awarded the penalty upon review and subsequently equalised.

I’m pretty sure the bloke that scored the winner did it with his first touch of the game.

40,000+ in attendance.

Edit: Real Madrid 2-0 down at home to Levante just before half time. Goodness me.

Can’t stand VAR Zeph. Stops the game too long and when you think the moment has passed a game defining ‘counter’ decision is made. Seen the replay a few times now it wasn’t even a foul. 

Yeah Mcgree’s first touch. Crazy good finish though. 

Ah Real, that is pretty funny! Quite a bit of pressure on guys like Bale to perform this season. 

• Like 1

A bit of puffery from Al Jazeera on the progress of stadiums for the next World Cup in Qatar.

The strange thing about Qatar as distinct from previous hosts is that Qatar is effectively a city state with most of the stadiums within a 20km radius of Doha.

From an attendance viewpoint it will make the event very different. How they will accommodate the fans has not really been discussed. Qatar is adjacent to the UAE with Abu Dhabi and Dubai around 500 and 650kms away respectively. By road however one has to cross a small part of Saudi Arabia which makes it all the more interesting.

Have spent 3 days in Dubai and cannot say it thrilled me. Give me Cairo or Istanbul any day.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/qatar-2022-world-cup-stadiums-181025142408471.html

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

After the success of last summer's travels, Grapeviney's European Football Odyssey is on again!

I'm stepping it up about five levels this time around, thanks to a contact in London who can score tickets to just about any sporting contest you care to name. 

Stop 1: North London derby @ Emirates. Got a seat in the Spurs section! 

Stop 2: Spurs v Saints @ Wembley. Should be a win.  

Stop 3: Barca v Spurs Champions League @ Camp Nou. In all likelihood a dead rubber, but it's Champions League, at the Camp Nou!

Stop 4: Real Madrid v one of the crap teams @ the Bernabeu. The gloss is well and truly starting to come off Madrid, but have always wanted to visit the Bernabeu. 

So 4 games in 14 days - god bless midweek football. 

Not expecting much, result wise, but am jumping out of my skin at the thought of the derby v Arsehat in particular, and still not quite sure how i scored a ticket to a sellout game, let alone in the away section seat in what would be a very small allocation of tickets for Tottenham fans (I think this guy gets seasons tickets from members who can't attend). 

Wo0o0o-h0o0o0o0 !!

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:25 PM, Grapeviney said:

After the success of last summer's travels, Grapeviney's European Football Odyssey is on again!

I'm stepping it up about five levels this time around, thanks to a contact in London who can score tickets to just about any sporting contest you care to name. 

Stop 1: North London derby @ Emirates. Got a seat in the Spurs section! 

Stop 2: Spurs v Saints @ Wembley. Should be a win.  

Stop 3: Barca v Spurs Champions League @ Camp Nou. In all likelihood a dead rubber, but it's Champions League, at the Camp Nou!

Stop 4: Real Madrid v one of the crap teams @ the Bernabeu. The gloss is well and truly starting to come off Madrid, but have always wanted to visit the Bernabeu. 

So 4 games in 14 days - god bless midweek football. 

Not expecting much, result wise, but am jumping out of my skin at the thought of the derby v Arsehat in particular, and still not quite sure how i scored a ticket to a sellout game, let alone in the away section seat in what would be a very small allocation of tickets for Tottenham fans (I think this guy gets seasons tickets from members who can't attend). 

Wo0o0o-h0o0o0o0 !!

Sounds awesome GV! Some absolute beauties there. Know where you’ll be sitting at Camp Nou?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, layzie said:

Sounds awesome GV! Some absolute beauties there. Know where you’ll be sitting at Camp Nou?

In the main stand (same side as the benches), I think on the 2nd level. That ticket alone is costing nearly as much as my MFC membership! 

The whole trip is costing a small fortune, especially the seats, but I’ve decided to go all in and have also now got a ticket to next week’s Spurs-Inter game at Wembley! 

So 5 games in about 19 days. Fly out on Monday, and will post pics when I can. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

In the main stand (same side as the benches), I think on the 2nd level. That ticket alone is costing nearly as much as my MFC membership! 

The whole trip is costing a small fortune, especially the seats, but I’ve decided to go all in and have also now got a ticket to next week’s Spurs-Inter game at Wembley! 

So 5 games in about 19 days. Fly out on Monday, and will post pics when I can. 

Totally worth it mate. Will be a great experience. Looking forward to hearing about it!

• Like 1