Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

captain for 2008

sylvinator

it is highly likely that our new coach will appoint a captain other than neitz next season. this will not be a bad decision, i would be happy to see neitz play his last 1-2 seasons as a leader not necessarily captain (ala James Hird did this season).

the question is, who other than neitz should be captain.

option 1) Brad Green: he would be my number 1 choice. he is the type of player who id either trade him or make him captain. he has had a solid season, and every time he has been captain in neitz's absense he has performed outstandingly. i think being captain takes his game to another level. he rarely plays a bad game, always has great courage, and definitly does some team inspiring acts. he would be a great captain

option 2) James McDonald: would be a fantastic captain. he always plays well and the way he plays inspires his teammates. the main problem is that he's 31. Making Mcdonald captain above Green would indicate that MFC doesnt believe Mclean is ready for captain yet, however it is understood he will take over in 1-2 years.

option 3) Brock Mclean: Will 100% be captain in 1-3 years. however in order to be captain in 2008 he needed to have another stellar season this season (like 2006). however unfortunately injuries have plagued him all season. he has still had 5 outstanding games, but injuries have meant that he has not been fit enough to play in the midfield. People should not be worried about Mclean. he has the skill, impact on games and leadership ability to be our next great captain. however not next season.

daylight...

option 4) Cameron Bruce: i always hoped he'd be our next captain. he is without a doubt a fantastic footballer. however his posessions are not damaging enough for a captain and he has questionable leadership. i would look to trade him for a top 10 pick next year, otherwise keep him in the leadership group and hope he hits form. not captian material.

option 5) Russel Robertson and Jeff White: both are too old (29 and 31 respectively) to be serious contenders to replace neitz and do not have outstanding leadership ability. both bleed for the MFC and are good players, but i wouldnt want to see them as captain.

for the future: in 2-3 years i'd like to see our leadership group as:

B.Mclean (captain), B.Green (V.Captain), J.Rivers, N. Jones, D. Bell, C. Sylvia (i have hope for Sylvia)

Q- who would people choose as captain in 2008, not including Neitz and Why

If not Neitz, it has to be James McDonald

He would make a great captain in my opinion

After that, we have nobody

Future leadership group

Captain - Nathan Jones

Vice Captain - Colin SYlvia

Deputies

Brock McLean

Jared Rivers

Matthew Bate

For me, i would be happy to see brock have it and grow into it, but i think junior to have it for 2 years then hand it to the chooka.

If green gets it and i do think he could be a decent captain he will want it for 4 years and thats too long to wait for chooka.

I agree Junior would be a terrific captain, however, I don't see the point of giving it to him for a few seasons......would be better off leaving Neitz as captain, and start grooming a successor for longer term.

I think Jeff White would be a great captain as well, but again, in the last few years of his career, I can't see the point in giving it to him.

I think Brock is the natural choice going forward, and after having a bad start to the year with injury, I don't think we can read too much into his performances this year.....he has missed a lot of footy.

You only have to see how much he is being rotated off the bench to know he is a fair way off being fully fit.

Ideally, Neita for another 1-2 years, then hand over to Brock.

Will be interesting to see how the new coach sees things, and what process he will use to pick the captain, that is, will it be player driven, or coach driven.

JARED RIVERS

Would be inspiring & assist in keeping him @ The Dee's.

We have missed him more than anyone in season 2007

Good call..............maybe not for captain yet though, but definitely leadership group.

Easy to forget players when they aren't playing.

I'd like to see Lynden Dunn step up into a leadership role next year. He has the smarts, puts his body on the line and should have been playing all year, and i suspect next year he will be one of our most improved.

As for captain, out of all the candidates mentioned, i always thought that Greeny always seemed to step up his performance when he led the team, and he has well and truly put the soft tag to bed this year with some courageous acts.

J-Mac for sure.

He needs to start doing more media things though because at the moment, it's always Green and Bruce doing them which makes me think they're breeding one of the two for the captaincy.

I like the idea of Rivers but because he hasn't played this year, I think he might be out of the race this time around.

He definitely needs to play a good season next year (and I have no doubts that he will) to be in contention down the track.

I'd still go for McLean, however I can see why the club would be apprehensive to do so.

I guess it all depends on where we see ourselves.

If the club and the new coach believes we're a chance to play finals and be a serious contender, we'd be better off giving the job to Green or Junior.

However, if we go into development mode for the next year or two (unlikely, but you never know), Brock should be made captain as he's currently our best long term option.

Junior at 31 means he really will be keeping the seat warm for Brock. Green is a longer term option obviously.

I'd still go for McLean, however I can see why the club would be apprehensive to do so.

I guess it all depends on where we see ourselves.

If the club and the new coach believes we're a chance to play finals and be a serious contender, we'd be better off giving the job to Green or Junior.

However, if we go into development mode for the next year or two (unlikely, but you never know), Brock should be made captain as he's currently our best long term option.

Junior at 31 means he really will be keeping the seat warm for Brock. Green is a longer term option obviously.

Just having a little trouble following the logic, Jaded. Why would we necessarily go for someone who is more experienced just because we see ourselves as a contender? I can think of at least 3 examples where this hasn't been the case - Neale Daniher appointed Captain of Essendon at 20 - they were definitely on the verge in 1982; Kernahan at Carlton in 1987 - his second season-he was 23 and they won the flag; Carey at North in 1993 - he was 22 and had only played 4 seasons. No reason not to give it to McLean now if he is deemed the best man for the job - he has now played 4 seasons at the top level. For mine - I don't mind the Swans model - I'd go a split between McDonald, McLean and Rivers. I think all 3 have excellent leadership capabilities.

We need a captian who's in the action, so Junior would be a natural choice because of the way he plays however I'm concerned by two things, first is his age and second his ability to communicate to the media. Other than junior I have no idea who it could be, which is a bit sad.

McLean needs to play consistent footy before he's even considered.

We need a captian who's in the action, so Junior would be a natural choice because of the way he plays however I'm concerned by two things, first is his age and second his ability to communicate to the media. Other than junior I have no idea who it could be, which is a bit sad.

McLean needs to play consistent footy before he's even considered.

Whatever people want, I have no doubt that there are ony 3 possible considerations for captain next year.

1. Neitz

2. Bruce

3. McLean

I think Neitz will step down. Whether Bruce or McLean get the gig will depend on who, and how bold, the coach is.

If I was running a book, I would say:

Neitz: $1.40

Bruce: $1.60

McLean: $2.00

Other: $2.30

There seems to be a Melbourne tradition of a long-serving captain followed by a two or three year captain, then back to long-serving captain and so on.

That certainly fit with the 'Brock in 09/10' theory that seems pretty popular.

But honestly, I'm warming to Green, and I think the club is too.

Last year he was right out of form, there's no denying it, but the key thing was he just kept working and working, even playing essentially a tagger role for several games just so he could be sure of making a contribution.

This year he's been growing steadily - certainly he's been a consistent presence in the 'not rubbish' list, which has at times been pretty long. Only a handful of really exceptional games, but always contributes.

I get the impression his radar is back on (unlike 2006), so he can go forward and kick important goals. He often provides the linking lead through the midfield, and has shown considerable determination when moved closer to the defense.

He's definately comfortable with media and fans. A little media training should sort him out to speak for the club - which he's been doing more than Neitz this year, interestingly.

I back the judgement a couple of people have made that he has played better when captain and has been very active talking to other players and 'working' the quarter time huddles. I'd speculate that the occassional great game he has at the moment would snowball a bit if he was captain and if those games got more recognition - Green is a player who's confidence would be boosted by captaincy (which doesn't seem to be the case, YET, for Mclean).

I also think we do need to appoint a new captain. I honestly think it's starting to play on some player's minds, and we need some certainty that there will, in future, only be a change of captain when a new person is obviously ready, rather than because the incumbent has sacrificed more than their share.

Green for Captain in 2008, and I think by the time the season actually starts we'd all be comfortable with him there. It's not like Neitz would disappear, he'd still be there being the inspiration full-forward - giving out that positive strength the same way Richardson can suck it out of the Tigers!

Just having a little trouble following the logic, Jaded. Why would we necessarily go for someone who is more experienced just because we see ourselves as a contender? I can think of at least 3 examples where this hasn't been the case - Neale Daniher appointed Captain of Essendon at 20 - they were definitely on the verge in 1982; Kernahan at Carlton in 1987 - his second season-he was 23 and they won the flag; Carey at North in 1993 - he was 22 and had only played 4 seasons. No reason not to give it to McLean now if he is deemed the best man for the job - he has now played 4 seasons at the top level. For mine - I don't mind the Swans model - I'd go a split between McDonald, McLean and Rivers. I think all 3 have excellent leadership capabilities.

Well the way I see it, if we're going all out next year to try and make the top 8, we're better of appointing someone who can step up straight away, or better yet, stick with Neita.

However, if we're going into a new rebuilding phase where we're going to try and build a team around our core group of 19-21 year olds, then giving McLean the captaincy makes sense as he'll grow into the role along with the side.

If the club doesn't feel that McLean is ready next year, they may not want to give him the job and the time to learn the ropes when we are focusing on making finals.

Of course there is the other side that, McLean is a natural-born leader and if he is appointed captain next year he'll only enhance our chances of being a real contender.

It's a really complex issue, and one that as outsiders we can't fully judge. We don't know how players conduct themselves off the field, and besides, a lot will depend on who coaches us next year and how the playing group votes.

Well the way I see it, if we're going all out next year to try and make the top 8, we're better of appointing someone who can step up straight away, or better yet, stick with Neita.

However, if we're going into a new rebuilding phase where we're going to try and build a team around our core group of 19-21 year olds, then giving McLean the captaincy makes sense as he'll grow into the role along with the side.

If the club doesn't feel that McLean is ready next year, they may not want to give him the job and the time to learn the ropes when we are focusing on making finals.

Of course there is the other side that, McLean is a natural-born leader and if he is appointed captain next year he'll only enhance our chances of being a real contender.

It's a really complex issue, and one that as outsiders we can't fully judge. We don't know how players conduct themselves off the field, and besides, a lot will depend on who coaches us next year and how the playing group votes.

Fair enough! Don't mind the idea of sticking with Neita for 1 more if the new coach believes there is nobody better. Also think multiple captains is really worth thinking about. I reckon if we go for Hardwick or Bailey we might get that model. Sheeds I think is likely to be more traditional, but may just take a punt on McLean - he has done it before with Neale Daniher!

Fair enough! Don't mind the idea of sticking with Neita for 1 more if the new coach believes there is nobody better. Also think multiple captains is really worth thinking about. I reckon if we go for Hardwick or Bailey we might get that model. Sheeds I think is likely to be more traditional, but may just take a punt on McLean - he has done it before with Neale Daniher!

i dont like the idea of multiple captains. i think the importance of a captain is underated. of coarse there must be a leadership group, but give 1 person the responsibility as captain.

Brad Green as captain is like Cameron Bruce as captain is like Cinderella as captain.

1. Brock

2. Robbo

3. Jones

4. Rivers

I'm confused.

You don't want Green or Bruce to captain the side, but Robbo is your second choice for the job? :blink:

I love Robbo, I really really do, but he does have the tendancy to become lazy at times, plus he is in the twilight of his career. Both Bruce and Green work incredibly hard and the perception that Green is soft is completely false.

He takes pack marks and marks running with the flight of the ball almost weekly. He is anything but soft!

I'm confused.

You don't want Green or Bruce to captain the side, but Robbo is your second choice for the job? :blink:

I love Robbo, I really really do, but he does have the tendancy to become lazy at times, plus he is in the twilight of his career. Both Bruce and Green work incredibly hard and the perception that Green is soft is completely false.

He takes pack marks and marks running with the flight of the ball almost weekly. He is anything but soft!

Agreed, their is too much confusion surrounding soft and outside players. Green and TJ are both outside players but are anything but 'soft'.

Whatever people want, I have no doubt that there are ony 3 possible considerations for captain next year.

1. Neitz

2. Bruce

3. McLean

I think Neitz will step down. Whether Bruce or McLean get the gig will depend on who, and how bold, the coach is.

If I was running a book, I would say:

Neitz: $1.40

Bruce: $1.60

McLean: $2.00

Other: $2.30

If i was offering odds:

McLean $1.20

Neitz $2.00

J Mac $3.00

Green $3.00

Bruce $50.00

Others $15.00

If i was offering odds:

McLean $1.20

Neitz $2.00

J Mac $3.00

Green $3.00

Bruce $50.00

Others $15.00

haha u would go broke....

i like many others are warmin to the idea of green.......

bruce possibly our best player may or may not be a leadership type.... i think green has showed it this year..... and on the weekend i believe he was the first to get a huddle going during the bell inncident... which i thought was good to see.

i really cant see brock getting it..... i think it would be a very very strange thing to happen....

going into this year he would have had a great chance in gettin it.....

i reckon it will be

Green © bruce (vc)