Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brock McLean

dazzledavey36

Look brock is a fantastic player we all know that but this has been bad for him. Well why? that is the question i would ask before you go out critiscising him.

The answer is built up upon many reasons the most obivous is ofcourse injury which has struck every player in this side and is not only a hassle but also can cause a dip in confidence which is quite obviously what has happened to Mclean. But you cannot blame his lack of form on injury. Because of his leadership qualities and the way he was talked up by the fans and the media (dont blame everything on us BB) he was obviously noticed by other clubs thus producing tags and harder match ups on Brock and when our top class midfielders were out with injury making a young still inexperienced player returning from injury our no.1 midfielder. Also resulting from this increase in popularity is ofcourse pressure and no-one likes to much pressure and this can resulting in Brock thinking to much about what he is doing (as stated in an interview by Brock) and needs to get back to basics. These are the reasons Brock has been out of form but each game has shows what he will be at some part he does something that brings a smile to my face like fridays game for example when brock stormed through the centre bounce grabbing the ball for a clearence now imagine that when brock is fit and can do that all day.

Brock and any other player with injury should be rested for some period of time (cause still looks to be carrying some injury) so that he can work on fitness and build himself some confidence and have a good pre-season.

Now on terms of captaincy and leadership

Brock is already a leader and this is shown by the ability he has to left his team mates and the way he talks about the team and players to the media. But is he ready for the captaincy in 1-2 years? No, of course he isnt he has only just played 50 games and is still 21 other players such as Bruce and Green are better candiates in terms of experience for captaincy for at least 2-3 years. Now the better question to ask is will Brock be ready for captain in 3-4 years? Now no one can see into the future and no one will know what direction Brock will turn in terms of football and injury etc. but based on current development and past form he defineately seems fit to be able captain the team from 2010. Now if you like the Brock Mclean at 50 games then you will no doubtly love him at 150 games. If you are upset because you think that Brock is ready for captain now may i remind you that Neitz only became captain at 25 (which is still very young) not at 21 even though when Neitz was 21 he was a good player.

Now people have been arguing over Brock and Bruce and frankly i dont think it matters who has had the better season because they have both had average seasons and we all know that the can be great players and we all know that they all have bad moments. So dont compare Brock and Bruce because it is irrevelant.

Jones has also been mentioned in this topic. People saying that soon melbourne will be saying that Jones for captain in 2008 and blah blah blah but frankly we all know that isnt true and we all know that Jones along side Brock will be a future leader of the club and that they will both be great players so saying this is pointless as we know that Jones will be a leader but at the same time not next year and not at the age of 20 but we understand why your making this comment and i agree melbourne fans do get ahead of themselves but ask yourselves this what fans of any sport dont? I've heard people talk about that the tall guy from Geelong who debuted this year (thompson? not sure but someone will tell me) winning the brownlow next year in all seriousness so dont think it is just melbourne who exaggerate players abilities.

CARNTHEDEES!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest unstable punt
tonight told me why brock is just not ready for captain the club yet. about 5 times i saw him get caught holding the ball twice in the space of 2 minutes in a crucial moment, by that skinny lil [censored] dale thomas!! brock tends to think that he can just about break any tackle.. well he needs to pull his head in and stop thinking about himself but more for his teamates. Nathan Jones was a bit like that tonite aswell. both tend to think they can outrun most of there opponents.

not good enough

he's had injuries all year, like the rest of the team just write this year off, the only good to come out of this year has been a few of the young blokes and finally getting rid of ND, 3 years too late though

He was brilliant when he came back from injury, only to get injured again (when it happened, we don't know).

Agreed - started playing some decent footy after a pretty poor season. I think injuries have certainly taken a toll this season, but so to has the fact that without many of our big-name mids, McLean has been the one to tag.

Rhino's right in that next year will be a big one. I'm confident McLean can be an AFL-grade mid, but I'm not sure quite how good he can be. He's still one of my favourite players, but some of the things he does are quite frustrating - in particular, his 'precision' passing over relatively short distances; too often he stabs the ball quite low and allows it to be intercepted by an opponent.

What really gave me the runs and curry with Brock tonight was his little hits he would do on players after they disposed of the ball.

He would have been better off chasing the player who had the ball instead of trying to be the tough guy and give an opponent a bump when they didn't have the ball.

Agreed.

You have zero credibility on football related issues BB. You put Pickett in your votes for last night, which says to me you have no idea.

Unbelieable. Pickett's goals were cheap (Shaw gave him one on a platter, and from memory he was given another easy one) and I thought he was one of the worst.

Melbourne supporters are so desperate for a star

/me looks at your sig

Yep, looks like you're right ;)

I just wish we layed off him a bit, he's copping it worse than most senior players are. Where is the fairness in that?

No he isn't :P

Ward, Brown, Holland, Godfrey, etc have all copped more flak.

Mclean should not be captain next year.

Either should Neitz.

Jones maybe one day but not yet either.

Its just got to be Brad Green. I reckon he tried his guts out on friday. Took some classic running with flight marks. Smooth kicking ability. Had an amazing 2 on 1 situation where he dominated with hard tackling. He gave alot. Ive said for years Green is so important to this side and I think on friday he stepped up when others lacked.

Brad Green for captain in 2008. In two or three years welcome captain Jones.

Mclean should not be captain next year.

Either should Neitz.

Jones maybe one day but not yet either.

Its just got to be Brad Green. I reckon he tried his guts out on friday. Took some classic running with flight marks. Smooth kicking ability. Had an amazing 2 on 1 situation where he dominated with hard tackling. He gave alot. Ive said for years Green is so important to this side and I think on friday he stepped up when others lacked.

Brad Green for captain in 2008. In two or three years welcome captain Jones.

NO! Don't say that!!! Alas, another one afflicted.

NO! Don't say that!!! Alas, another one afflicted.

Ah the curse of the "future captain of the MFC". It hit Miller and it's hitting Brocky, look out Jones, someone might've given you the curse.

Let's all just say Ward the next captain, then he'll get cursed, and Brocky or Green can step up as VC! :lol:

brock has never been good enough for captain .... and this year shows how right i have been

must overrated player on our list possibly in the afl.... he has been pathedic all year injuries or not.... he looks like he is running in cement.

Give me Maclean over Bruce any day. At least when Brock puts in a bad game he is still running hard to contests and putting his body on the line.

Bruce is Trade Bait.

Give me Maclean over Bruce any day. At least when Brock puts in a bad game he is still running hard to contests and putting his body on the line.

Bruce is Trade Bait.

Your trade bait, get you to support another team.

STOP WITH THE TRADE BRUCE TALK!!! It is not his fault we sucked this year and who knows if some young guy we get will be any better than him ever! Lets get rid of Bruce for Luke Molan.