Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WJ's Match Review ... NOTHING CAN CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME

Demonland

NOTHING CAN CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME by Whispering Jack

It was a night when the clock should have stopped ticking six or seven seconds earlier but things never happen that way. They say after all, that nothing can change the shape of things to come.

The dream finish to Neale Daniher's coaching career didn't take place; his team lost in the inevitable way that was seemingly always scripted through his time at the club. For a decade his team lurched forward and backward, from one extreme to another waiting for the inevitable accident to happen and on this last night, it happened again.

Throughout his term as coach, Daniher has been fond of expounding the "time clock theory" to explain precisely where any given team list is placed in terms of its development and its capacity to challenge for a premiership. However, the theory has its flaws and doesn't contend with the vagaries of football and of matters beyond the control of a coach, be they injury crises, boardroom revolts, salary cap penalties, financial setbacks, weather conditions, rule changes, umpiring, fixturing issues and even the death of a player. Daniher has faced them all in his time. He took them in his stride, gave his all with passion and commitment, promoted his club vigorously, did his best for his players and his team and came out of it last night with dignity if not victory.

After a week of high drama the dream script should have seen Daniher's men come out and tear the Bombers apart but if 2007 has been a dream for Melbourne, then that dream was a wild nightmare from the very beginning. Playing against a full strength Essendon side, Melbourne's woeful run with injuries continued when Daniel Bell's hamstring went before the big crowd at the Telstra Dome had barely settled into their seats. One of the Demons' big improvers of the season, Bell brilliantly intercepted a pass meant for his opponent Scott Lucas, took his kick and then disappeared from the game. Melbourne's defence, already undermanned and undersized, was unable to contain the Bomber tall timber and Lucas was to become the match winner. By the end of the night, at least four others were struggling with their fitness. Meanwhile, the remainder of the first quarter was a repeat of the horrors of the first half against Richmond that provided the nail for the coffin of a coaching career at the club.

Trailing by 37 points at the first change, Daniher desperately made some moves in an attempt to inspire his charges and they came to the party. The game was a freewheeling affair and, in the absence of the modern day tactics of pushing players behind the ball to flood defences, Melbourne was able to fight its way back. David Neitz and Travis Johnstone, who both missed the Tiger debacle, hit their straps and James McDonald continued working hard around the stoppages where Melbourne was getting on top. The Demons ran and ran, created numerous scoring opportunities, got to within a point but fell away in the dying moments of the first half to concede three late goals. Still, they went into the half time break in much better shape than we feared after the first half hour.

The all-important third quarter was all Melbourne's. It comprehensively outplayed Essendon and, with Russell Robertson coming out of his early shell and booting three goals for the term, the Dees were on the brink of an historic and famous victory. All that was needed was that final death blow from which the Bombers, who were literally on their knees, would surely not be able to recover. Instead, the epitaph for Daniher's long coaching stint at the club was written in much the same way that his years at the club would come to be remembered.

Skipper David Neitz, still not at 100% following his injury woes of the season, suddenly acquired the kicking yips missing three shots at goal from within fifty metres that would have been routine if he were at the height of his powers. One of them slewed across the face of goals and didn't even score. Likewise, Russell Robertson missed a set shot that he should have gobbled up. Emerging youngsters Colin Sylvia and Matthew Bate also messed up an opportunity that should have seen a goal rammed home but the ball went astray. Debutant, Michael Newton, who was impressive but undertandably nervous in his first game at this level, dropped a simple chest mark in front of goal. Still, when Aaron Davey put Melbourne 17 points in front with a few minutes left to play, it should have been all over.

But the game unravelled for Melbourne and the accidents just kept on coming for Neale Daniher in the dying moments of his coaching career. A few lucky bounces went Essendon's way, there was some poor decision making from Melbourne players, horrific umpiring from a group that gave the Bombers an enormous 27-18 free kick advantage on the night (did not one of them see what 47,552 others saw when Cameron Bruce was tripped late in the game or were they just pulling our legs?) and Scott Lucas and fate stepped in for the final goal with six seconds left on the clock. For the second time, the Bombers had kicked three straight goals at the Lockett End of the Telstra Dome to finish off a quarter.

So time has finally run out for Neale Daniher. I can't say that he was a great coach. That is a description reserved for those who win premiership flags. I will say however, that he was a good coach and that he changed the shape of the club in his time at Melbourne. One only hopes that he leaves it a far better place than it was when he entered ten years ago but his true legacy will only be understood in the fullness of time.

Melbourne 2.2.14 9.4.58 16.9.105 18.15.123

Essendon 8.3.51 12.5.77 14.8.92 19.11.125

Goals

Melbourne Neitz Robertson 3 Davey Petterd Sylvia 2 Bate Bruce Godfrey Johnstone Newton Ward

Essendon Lucas 5 Lloyd 4 Davey Laycock Lovett McVeigh 2 Hird McPhee

Best

Melbourne McDonald Bruce Bate Jones Neitz Sylvia

Essendon Hird Laycock Lucas Lloyd Watson Fletcher

Injuries

Melbourne Neitz (knee) Green (knee) Bell (hamstring)

Essendon - nil

Reports - nil

Changes – nil

Umpires Margetts Grun Ryan

Crowd 47,552 at Telstra Dome

I just wanted to say thank you to The Reverend. It's been a bumpy ride over the past ten years.

I should also add for the record that it's been my belief for some time that his departure from the club at the end of the year was inevitable - that it was for his good and for the good of the club that there be change but that is not to detract from his ability as a coach or the great things he has done for Melbourne.

I look forward to being present when the club awards him the life membership he so richly deserves and wish Neale and his family all the very best for the future.

NOTHING CAN CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME - A POSTSCRIPT by Whispering Jack

"There are changes

Lyin' ahead in every road

And there are new thoughts

Ready and waiting to explode

When tomorrow is today

The bells may toll for some

But nothing can change the shape of things to come"

by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil - "Shape of Things to Come" most famously performed by Max Frost and the Troopers for the 1968 movie "Wild in the Streets".

The theme for the revival of the Melbourne Football Club may well have been written forty years ago when the cult movie Wild in the Streets was conceived. The "anti-hero" of the film is Christopher Jones starring as the revolutionary Max Frost who gets elected as President of the United States and enacts a law that makes thirty the mandatory retirement age.

"If you’re thirty, your through!"

Before you jump to the wrong conclusion that I'm suggesting Melbourne should cull anyone on its list who has celebrated or is about to celebrate his thirtieth birthday, let me explain the basic premise of the movie. This was a film that looked at the contemporary issues of the time - Vietnam, civil rights, political assassinations, the population explosion, the emergence of the baby boomer generation and rioting and unrest in urban America - by using the device of "reductio ad absurdum", i.e. to reduce something to absurdity by taking it to extremes.

It would fanciful and far too extreme to suggest that any given footballer is finished as soon as he reaches the magical age of thirty. One only has to look at the best players on the ground in last night's game at the Dome. James Hird is 34 years of age, Scott Lucas turns 30 before year's end while James McDonald will be 31 in October. Demon skipper David Neitz, who went into the game below full fitness, still managed to inspire the team with two goals in the second term and he could have won the game off his own boot had he kicked with some accuracy in the final quarter.

So I'm not suggesting that all of the thirty somethings at the club should go at once. However, there are far too many at the club who have seen their best days and who will never perform the sort of magic we saw last night from James Hird. To retain upwards of nine of them - the most in the competition - would be unsustainable if the Demons were to progress in the future.

The inevitable result of the coaching upheaval at the club must be translated into a new policy of bringing in the youngsters. The final nine weeks of the season will be a time of innovation and experimentation as we wait for the decision as to who will hold the coaching reins in his hands in 2008 and beyond. The trading period and the drafts in November and December will also bring regeneration and youth to the club.

Nothing can change the shape of things to come.

Agreed. It's time for everybody whose heart beats true to start looking to the future and, contrary to what the doomsayers are stating, we do have a future and it's a good one.

A small piece of evidence that backs up what I'm saying and also explains why it was in the best interests of all that ND and the club parted company early once the decision was made that he wouldn't continue. As a career coach Neale's prospects might have been badly harmed had he coached a team that went poorly in the final half of the season under this sort of a policy which is, in reality, the best way forward for the club. I believe that we will still go through a roller coaster ride over the next two months but that this period could also be the making of our club. The regrets are that the process was nicely manipulated by the media (who were only doing their job) and that communications with the skipper and senior players wasn't all that flash. Neita might not have been very diplomatic when he spoke out yesterday but at least he was being honest which is refreshing when you look at some of the things that go on at other clubs.

TOUGH LIFE OF RILEY

"MELBOURNE caretaker coach Mark Riley will demand a tough approach from his team in the final nine games of the season.

"The Demons look like being without David Neitz, Travis Johnstone, Brad Green and Daniel Bell - and will make a decision on whether two or three other players may be sent off for season-ending surgery this week.

It points to a youth-filled line up for Sunday's game against Carlton at the MCG.

Out-of-favour key position player Brad Miller is one player likely to return, along with youngsters Lynden Dunn and Colin Garland.

Rising Star winner Jared Rivers may return in the next fortnight, but Clint Bartram's season is over."

Delightfully written, Jack. You summed it all up so beautifully.

Thanks Pantaloons.

Somebody's pointed out to me via PM that Essendon wasn't at full strength because David Hille was out suspended. I accept that and I wasn't making excuses anyway but I also should point out that in his absence Laycock aquitted himself reasonably well and I doubt whether Hille's absence would have made much difference to the final result. On the other hand, Melbourne's list of players out injured was significant, not to mention the fact that a few who played weren't 100% fit. At his best, the skipper would have slotted through at least one of those 3 shots from inside 50 that he missed in the last quarter and I therefore calculate that this would have made a difference.

I just wanted to say that the above is my way of saying thank you to The Reverend.

I should also add for the record that it's been my belief for some time that his departure from the club at the end of the year was inevitable - that it was for his good and for the good of the club that there be change but that is not to detract from his ability as a coach or the great things he has done for Melbourne.

I look forward to being present when the club awards him the life membership he so richly deserves and wish Neale and his family all the very best for the future.

Nice words WJ and supported I would hope by all here 100%

Thanks Pantaloons.

Somebody's pointed out to me via PM that Essendon wasn't at full strength because David Hille was out suspended. I accept that and I wasn't making excuses anyway but I also should point out that in his absence Laycock aquitted himself reasonably well and I doubt whether Hille's absence would have made much difference to the final result. On the other hand, Melbourne's list of players out injured was significant, not to mention the fact that a few who played weren't 100% fit. At his best, the skipper would have slotted through at least one of those 3 shots from inside 50 that he missed in the last quarter and I therefore calculate that this would have made a difference.

To claim that Essendon wasn't at full strength compared to Melbourne because Hille was out of this game is somewhat churlish. Their injury list befor and after this game was as follows:-

Courtenay Dempsey

Dean Dick (arm)

Jay Neagle (ankle)

None of those blokes would have made their side on Friday night.

Laycock and Ryder are their 2nd & 3rd choice ruckmen and Laycock performed well enough against Melbourne's White and Johnson that Hille's presence on this night would, in all probability, have made no difference at all.

Thanks for the report Jack......

It is, as always, a great and honest read, and your opinions are genuinely appreciated :) !!!