Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our Culture

dees64

What is our culture at our club? When we see our players joking around with the Swans players after the game. This is a team sitting at 0-5 and their season blown away, you would think that they would be that [censored] off and hurting that the last thing they would be doing is laughing with the opposition!

What message does this send to the playing group and supporters that they accept lossing. Is this the culture of our club that when we loss they all laugh with the opposing team after they just flogged us?

Were are the so called leaders on our list to take charge or is our coaching that poor that opposing teams can kick huge scores very quickly?

Lets not forget what Brock Mclean said (21yr old) he noticed that a mental toughness issue within our club!

We need to hear from Paul Gardner that a total review of the footy dept will take place and put everyone on notice not to hear that he would like to see Daniher as the next premiership coach of MFC.

To say we have a list that can win a flag, cmon mate we are so far in terms of personell & even most importantly mental toughness & a culture that enables you to win a flag its not funny.

Gardner is doing great things off the field but he now has to be ruthless along with the board to make tough calls on our list & coaching dept

What is our culture at our club? When we see our players joking around with the Swans players after the game. This is a team sitting at 0-5 and their season blown away, you would think that they would be that [censored] off and hurting that the last thing they would be doing is laughing with the opposition!

What message does this send to the playing group and supporters that they accept lossing. Is this the culture of our club that when we loss they all laugh with the opposing team after they just flogged us?

Were are the so called leaders on our list to take charge or is our coaching that poor that opposing teams can kick huge scores very quickly?

Lets not forget what Brock Mclean said (21yr old) he noticed that a mental toughness issue within our club!

We need to hear from Paul Gardner that a total review of the footy dept will take place and put everyone on notice not to hear that he would like to see Daniher as the next premiership coach of MFC.

To say we have a list that can win a flag, cmon mate we are so far in terms of personell & even most importantly mental toughness & a culture that enables you to win a flag its not funny.

Gardner is doing great things off the field but he now has to be ruthless along with the board to make tough calls on our list & coaching dept

I don't think it is as much of an issue as supporters who think that players shaking hands and catching up after the game (it was Junior, Davey and Hall who all played in Ireland that were sharing a laugh) is somehow indicative of a poor culture. I believe the FD conducts a review every year, I think many of us would expect some very difficult and maybe unpopular decisions to be made.

If all you have to do to be seen as competitive is to look sad after a loss even I could be competitive, hell if I shouted at my team mates enough some would even consider me a leader. I'm not having a go at you specifically 64, but I thought our attitude in the first quarter sucked and after that it improved. I'm not concerned on the interaction at the end of the game as much as I am about how they do it in a game.

I don't think it is as much of an issue as supporters who think that players shaking hands and catching up after the game (it was Junior, Davey and Hall who all played in Ireland that were sharing a laugh) is somehow indicative of a poor culture. I believe the FD conducts a review every year, I think many of us would expect some very difficult and maybe unpopular decisions to be made.

If all you have to do to be seen as competitive is to look sad after a loss even I could be competitive, hell if I shouted at my team mates enough some would even consider me a leader. I'm not having a go at you specifically 64, but I thought our attitude in the first quarter sucked and after that it improved. I'm not concerned on the interaction at the end of the game as much as I am about how they do it in a game.

Its more their body language they just didnt show that they are [censored] off enough after lossing & sitting at 0-5.

They may be shaking hands and having a laugh, but those who bleed red and blue (and there are many down at the club) will be dead inside.

0-5 will cut through the demon die hards. I can bet you $100 that brock mclean would have put his first though a wall after seeing this early slide.

It's hard to actually explain what the culture is, but part of it is the teams "home". I think the fact that the players move around so much and don't really have a true base has a lot to do with it. I've seen West Coasts facilities (on a tour of Subi when I toured Perth as a member of the under 15s DVFL squad) and I just couldnt believe what they had. You compare it to the club rooms and facilities Melbourne has, and you can't help but understand why WC players always seem that much bigger and tougher and more committed to the club.

The Culture will never change at the MFC. All that can change is the environment. West Coast will always be the LA Lakers (most hated but also most supported. richest and most glamourous) of the AFL, and we will always be the Milwaukee Bucks (ugly, financially unstable, not many fans) . I think that once Melbourne moves into its home at Olympic Park, we will see a change. And it's even been said before in the media. In saying that, the environment also has a lot to do with culture, so it kind of connects in together. Personal wise, culture will never change. Appearence wise, it can change.

The general culture of this club is to accept ordinary peformances and not take criticism at any level.If the club can change ordinary on field performance and improve it like we have with our financial plight then we will improve, but not before.When was the last time someone at the club took some advice from a well meaning supporter and admitted that outsiders sometimes have great ideas?Cultural change can only come from different ideology,and this we must change Mr. President.Please , no more "Stick with us" or "We dont care for supporters who criticise our on field performance" etc. etc. Cop it on the chin like good business leaders do .Formulate a DIFFERENT plan for improvement , implement it, and get on with the cultural change.Seek advice and guidance from experienced outsiders(and insiders) then change this bloody acceptance of mediority before we once again slip to the basement of AFL clubs. The club has some fantastic corporate business accociates that have evolved from smaller companies into quite successful large entities.They do this by changing things.They did not accept things how they were.Build a "change of mind set" and I guarantee that the footy department will get to where they desire to go.Do all of our team want to play senior footy or do they ALL want to win a flag with the MFC? There is a real gulf between the responses to these two questions. Change this culture or watch it slide! Just do it please.

There are clubs that are expected to be successful & try to attain top 8 status each year. They accept nothing less than finals action. These clubs ruthlessly do everything within their powers to remain top 8 contenders. Clubs like Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton (watch this space) & the interstate teams will always have this culture. This culture is bred into the administration, coaching staff, players & supporters. To play for the jumper.

Other clubs like Melbourne, Geelong, St Kilda, Bulldogs, and Richmond etc. will always make up the numbers. These teams come & go in & out of the finals & then spend 5 years rebuilding, only to have some success & then start again. We’ve come to accept this.

I do not know what the answer is, but this culture is like a disease that seems to rub off on the players, administration, coaching staff & the supporters. We complain, we get angry & we finally accept that this is the way it is. AND it has been like this for decades.

There seems to be a close enough is good enough attitude around the MFC.

For example, when looking over the coaching career at Melbourne of Neale Daniher, many people point out that he has taken Melbourne to the finals in '98, '00, '02, ,'04, '05 and '06. Now that is an improvement on past Melbourne sides but it's still not good enough.

In 2000 Melbourne got as close as they could get without actually winning a the Flag but again, it's still not good enough.

People don't remember the number of finals a team plays in. They remember when a team wins a Premiership.

In contrast to this, there is Mick Malthouse who when after his side went down to the reigning Premiers at their home ground by two goals, said in his post-match conference that "We don't accept anything except the fact we got beaten".

There seems to be a close enough is good enough attitude around the MFC.

For example, when looking over the coaching career at Melbourne of Neale Daniher, many people point out that he has taken Melbourne to the finals in '98, '00, '02, ,'04, '05 and '06. Now that is an improvement on past Melbourne sides but it's still not good enough.

In 2000 Melbourne got as close as they could get without actually winning a the Flag but again, it's still not good enough.

People don't remember the number of finals a team plays in. They remember when a team wins a Premiership.

In contrast to this, there is Mick Malthouse who when after his side went down to the reigning Premiers at their home ground by two goals, said in his post-match conference that "We don't accept anything except the fact we got beaten".

Spot on Mightey Demon when I hear our club & the media say that Melb have played in 6out of 9 years I say so what good to get their but look at why we couldnt go all the way and have we fixed that. The answer is no & that problem is MENTAL TOUGHNESS 04,05,06 prove that we should have finished top 4 but failed at the last hurdle. I think the culture of the club accepts these results and instead of making tough choices with the list or coaching staff they think a flag will come & unfortunately the list starts to age & injuries arrive but other clubs have raised the bar thus our current results.

I think it's pretty important not to link the clubs "culture" with simply on field performance.

Organisational culture can change as well as different people come and go from organisations, and also there may be different cultures within different departments of an organisation.

However, in my opinion, a strong culture, particularly in a football club, will always remain regardless of the individuals at a club.

It is a really interesting topic.......and I would love to know exactly how the club itself would descibe its culture.

It's easy to sit back as supporters and say there is a weak culture at the club. I don't think there is.

From my perspective, I see a board lead by Paul Gardner, who have brought stability, both management and financial, to the club. Having achieved that, they set about finding the club a new home. This too has been achieved (still work to be done though!) This doesn't indicate to me that we have a weak culture permeating throughout the management of the club.

As far as the football department goes, I see the coach as the key to establishing the culture of the football department. I do find it alarming when a 21 year old player (Brock McLean) comes out and says there is something amiss with the culture of the playing group. From an outsiders point of view, how clearly different is the culture of the playing group between a team like ours and a team like the Swans? Is it the coach? Is it the players? Is it both?

Also key to this is the MFC supporter culture. The team loses 3 games in a row, and the supporters show how weak our culture is by not turning up to support the club in need. With a supporter culture of going missing when things get tough, how can we ever expect or even demand success?

So far, we have 1/3 areas of the club firing, and displaying the true MFC culture.......don't expect success until the other 2 areas shape up!

I agree the board are doing good off the feild & getting stabilty but my question is directed towards the culture amongst the playing group & wether the coaching & footy dpt are ruthless enough.

Look at the Roos with all the current issues no money, looking at moving interstate, board problems but yet they win today at Geelong after beating the lions away last week. Whats the culture in that playing group?

Why can Paul Roos get a culture in the Swans playing list that will not tollerate bad attitudes and poor work ethics within the playing lst. Barry Hall a nut case with St Kilda now captain and diciplined.

I've followed MFC for 37 years. I totally agree there is a culuture at this club that tolerates mediocraty. It has frustrated me so much that I have become much less avid in my suppoorting the team and instead follow the game in general. I like to see underdogs do well (e.g the Roo's and Bulldogs) and I like both those teams culture, the way they keep fighting no matter the odds against them. When was the last time MFC crushed Geelong at their home ground. Before this season you would have compared the MFC more than favourably with the Kangaroos, and they lost their first few games also, but look how they have bounced back. We just don't do that. We accept our losses because we are 'under strength'.

Its not that I expect or even want MFC to win every week, but I would like to see them having a real go and maintaining their skill level despite the superiority of the opposition.

There have been so many different excuses for their poor form over the years, this years excuse is injuries. But the team was full strength in round one and still played terribly. I don't see how injuries cause players to kick to the opposition and fumble the ball and not go 100% into every contest and to consistently allow opposition teams to string goals together. It is a mental thing.

Changing coach will not help, wev'e 'been there and done that'. I don't see any answers, its just the way they are. But premiership material, this team, you have to be joking !!

I've followed MFC for 37 years. I totally agree there is a culuture at this club that tolerates mediocraty. It has frustrated me so much that I have become much less avid in my suppoorting the team and instead follow the game in general.

Doug, isn't that a prime example of accepting this "culture"? Read Real Demons post a couple before yours. There are many people who are not satisfied with second, third or fourth best who support the MFC (they all seem to post here). As supporters of the club we need to demand better performances across the board and we do this by buying memberships going to games and putting the club on a footing where it can compete in a competition which is otherwise very uneven and becoming more so.

Doug, isn't that a prime example of accepting this "culture"? Read Real Demons post a couple before yours. There are many people who are not satisfied with second, third or fourth best who support the MFC (they all seem to post here). As supporters of the club we need to demand better performances across the board and we do this by buying memberships going to games and putting the club on a footing where it can compete in a competition which is otherwise very uneven and becoming more so.

Thank you Diesel, I hope a lot of the posters who purport to follow the Dees reflect on yours and Real Demons comments and ask themselves not what the club can do for them, but what they can do for the club!

Thank you Diesel, I hope a lot of the posters who purport to follow the Dees reflect on yours and Real Demons comments and ask themselves not what the club can do for them, but what they can do for the club!

Yeah, heaven help us if the buck stops at the Coach or the Board.

Lets pass that buck on to the members, they're obviously not putting in enough!

Yeah, heaven help us if the buck stops at the Coach or the Board.

Lets pass that buck on to the members, they're obviously not putting in enough!

:rolleyes:

I think that we as a club began to believe the hype. The best victorian side in 07, the great white hope!. In reality we are at least 5 years away from having any real chance at a Grand final berth, let alone a premiership! Neitz, Robbo, Yze, white, Holland, Bizzel, Brown, Mc Donald, Pickett etc, will not see a premiership.

Brock, Bate, Bartram, CJ, TJ, Bruce, Green, Petterd, Garland, Newton, Neaves, PJ, Hughes, Moloney, Buckley, Bell, Rivers, Davey, and others might. BUT we need to add at least 2 top class KPP'S AND 1 RUCKMAN. I would be looking at Pavlich or Reiwoldt up forward and a top FB/CHB. We may need to trade some of our cream to get players who have 8-10 years of good footy in them. I would try for Judd, but as a midfielder I feel that as good as he would be we need a KPP more ATM. Thoughts?