Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Deflection

Jaded No More

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't explain it, can you?

well i'll try ...but i cant guarantee you will get it..

a comment describing some supposed act towards his dog, whilst outrageous is hardly likely to extract must of a response but simply bring to question the originators persuasions and mentality, it s nothingness because its inane. The act itself is vile...but would even to headland be considered fanciful and non direct.

A blatant comment directed to him about his daughter is far far more likely to create an image of horror and disgust etc in DH's mind as this is something we do hear of in society.

Youre trying to equalize two disparate acts in order to justify some argument.

They are not apples and apples.

but if you havent got it by now... you may never.

I cannot believe some of the people in this thread.

It was a little throwaway line that clearly has no basis in reality and here we have posters mentioning it in the same breath with pedophilia? Are they for real?

It's just as bad as Headland losing it over the same comments. Big sign of mental weakness, goes to show why he is probably the worst number 1 draft pick ever.

Harden the [censored] up.

I thought it might be a good idea to deflect, and take the heat off our footy club for a minute by turning our heads to the west.

I'm sure it comes as no big surprise to read that there has been a big fall-out following the derby over in Perth. Who would have guessed it, two teams with zero discipline or accountability for their actions going head to head in the fishbowl that is Western Australian footy, and causing problems. :rolleyes:

The most disturbing story to come out of the game though, is surely the Selwood sledging.

Now before we go any further, it has to be made clear that this is yet to be proven and we won't know for sure until tomorrow night whether or not this stuff was said, although all evidence suggest that this indeed took place.

Surely though, it has got to be one of the lowest acts of sledging we've heard on a footy field.

For those who haven't heard it, the story goes that Selwood apperantly made sexually explicit remarks about Des Headland's six year old daughter. That's right, she's six, and Selwood was claiming to have had intercourse with her, except he didn't word it so politely.

I'm no prude, and of course every player will try and get stuck into his opponent with a bit of sledging, but what sort of human being resorts to abusing a child who is in no way involved in the game? It may be unfair to blame the club for this, but it's another one for the book of 'Eagles' players behaving like immature tools'.

I hope that just as Headland is about to spend significant time on the sidelines (as he should btw), that if proven true, Selwood joins him.

There has got to be a clear line which players should not cross. It's unacceptable when it's racial, and it's unacceptable if it involves attacking innocent children and making explicit remarks.

And as a side note, West Coast may be a hugely successful club on the field, but their players and the way that team is managed is extremely poor. There is no accountability from players or from the board, and because they go unpunished they continue to act as if they untouchable and as if they can do as they please.

Once again Jaded I agree with you.

What gives someone the right to say something like that just because he is playing football?

We would all agree it is disgraceful and while obviously untrue it would be extremely difficult for any parent to restrain himself if confronted with that type of comment. Headland will suffer because he should have dealt with it in another way, either personally behind the stands or by being made to " dob" , another fairly un-Australian act.

Yes the mother/sister comments have gone on for years and they are also very ordinary, but this involves a child and it "is" different. Players know the mother/sister comments will come so they have some ability to prepare and ignore them, but this would infuriate any parent.

I don't think it is professional to make these types of comments and if we want our players to do so, then what are we doing watching this game, where this type of behaviour is allowed. You can't racially comment and this should be in the same category. I agree with Essendon that the Rama/chemo comments were sick but this is worse, as this is directed not at the player or his problems, but his child.

I would hope we all agree it is a disgrace and that the player concerned, if guilty, should be ashamed of himself. Is that how he wants to beat another player on a footy field by getting into the gutter?

a comment describing some supposed act towards his dog, whilst outrageous is hardly likely to extract must of a response but simply bring to question the originators persuasions and mentality, it s nothingness because its inane. The act itself is vile...but would even to headland be considered fanciful and non direct.

Which is exactly the same as what Selwood did, as all it does is call into question Selwood's persuasion and mentality, and was clearly inane. The act is vile and Headland would consider it fanciful. The only difference was the response by Headland. Hence the reason why Selwood didn't make the comment about his dog.

But at least now I know why you didn't answer me the first time.

It's interesting that the gist of many people is that if it's to do with race it's absolutely not on, but anything else is fine.

However, commentators frequently make remarks about Ling and Merrett's hair colour - which is totally acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a difference between the two. I just thought the polar opposites on attitudes to two factors that are genetically based was interesting.

Which is exactly the same as what Selwood did,

No its not !!

he didnt claim to do anything towards a dog now did he?

You have your thoughts ..i have mine

I am so close to getting banned due to the low regard in which I hold your intelligence.

I said what would be the difference between the two comments, and you said they could not be compared. You then showed everyone that they were identical.

Rogue, that's a very good point and a society wide anomaly. It would be more to do with discrimination against a race, whilst red heads are not generally discriminated against.

It's interesting that the gist of many people is that if it's to do with race it's absolutely not on, but anything else is fine.

However, commentators frequently make remarks about Ling and Merrett's hair colour - which is totally acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a difference between the two. I just thought the polar opposites on attitudes to two factors that are genetically based was interesting.

Redhead's are not people.

I cannot believe some of the people in this thread.

It was a little throwaway line that clearly has no basis in reality and here we have posters mentioning it in the same breath with pedophilia? Are they for real?

The alleged sledge encompasses this very issue. How can it not be relevant?

Which comes back to Nasher's original point, that the sledge is not offensive, but rather stupid, because it's not true.

I don't see it that way. It's offensive regardless, and is inappropriate.

Totally agree Jaded.

FWIW, being called 'a so & so Jew' and you're not... reckon if you tried you could find a few who may take offence. It takes all sorts.

But as for Selwood, if what he said is true, is scum.

And as a side note, West Coast may be a hugely successful club on the field, but their players and the way that team is managed is extremely poor. There is no accountability from players or from the board, and because they go unpunished they continue to act as if they untouchable and as if they can do as they please.

Wish we were managed as poorly and our team performed like theirs does.

Fact of the matter is that sledging has always been part of the game. Agreed, the you get rid of the racism but the statements made by Selwood were so ridiculous that Headland is a fool for getting sucked in by that sort of thing. Most footballers would laugh it off.

The alleged sledge encompasses this very issue. How can it not be relevant?

Because it was a little throwaway line that clearly has no basis in reality.

Are you really stupid enough to think Selwood has or wants to do what he said?

Because it was a little throwaway line that clearly has no basis in reality.

Are you really stupid enough to think Selwood has or wants to do what he said?

Reality is irrelevant. It is not a topic to be joked about or addressed in a sledge. That is the point.

And, no. But you were stupid enough to ask.

Selwood will cop his fair share of verbal punishment over this. It is part of footy- you give some, you take it back in spades.

Racism has no part in football- anything else is fair go.

:rolleyes: What is an appropriate topic then? Mums? Sisters? Calling someone a homo?

Its sledging, get over it.

I am from the camp that just could never be bothered and it never bothered me so I'm not the best one to ask. It probably bothers me more as a bystander.

Like some above I will concede that there are different opinions on this topic and we'll agree to disagree then!

I ve just logged on and flicked through this thread for the first time.

This Forum has some seroiusly deluded people.

I love the Dees and the game of AFL, i log onto this site because we all share a passion for the club that no one else can relate too.

However at the end of the day footy is sport, a GAME.

I have played plenty of Footy and i also have a six year old son. What Selwood said(If true, Bet it is). This goes way outside sport. Headland had every right to react the way he did. Given the chance he should have done more. For those of you who arent parents you shouldnt comment, because you cant comprehend the protectivness u feel for your children. i certainly didnt til i became a father. Im not an aggressive person at all, but when it comes to my son my blood boils easily.

Some of you have compared this to racism...... And there is one element that applies... Imagine it the other way round if Headland and his daughter were as white as Selwood, and Selwood was an Aboriginal. You would all be calling for blood.

Footy is a tough game, but it is a game and this is a filthy act, as low as it gets and brings the game into a shocking light. The Eagles are overpaid, arrogant buffheads and continue to show this, AND SELWOOD YOU ARE THE BIGGEST SCUM OF ALL.

If Selwood was an Aboriginie and the Headlands white, then why would it change anything? If it did change anything then, by definition, it would be racist. And if you are suggesting that it does change anything, then perhaps the claim would be levelled at you.

Why shouldn't anyone who doesn't have a young child comment? Did Selwood? He's the other party in this, and is also the only party who didn't physically assault someone.

Headland had every right to react the way he did.

Are you suggesting that fatherhood turns you into a testosterone charged thug? Because you clearly are about the only person here who thinks that Headland did the right thing. The condemnation of his actions is universal and he has revealed himself as a lightweight.

Should fatherhood be used as a defence to violent crimes? Sorry, but the comment just seemed absurd and so I stopped taking it seriously.

Hmmm, maybe there's a point in the absurdity after all.

Never read your posts before so im not sure if you always right crap, but you clearly have no idea.

People belt each other on the footy field all the time its a tough physical game.

99.99% of people that play footy however dont talk about haviing sex with young children..

My point was also that if someone said something to James hird or Bucks about there kids we d be ok with them belting the person. Headlands history should play no part.

What does Headland's history have to do with it? Why do you care who did it to who? We could call it player X and Y and nothing changes. Why the fixation or the player, his name/race/skill/mental capacity or whatever? Who cares?

Yes, people belt people all the time. I have a black eye because someone hit me on the footy field on the weekend. And no, I didn't hit him back or antagonise him. But in one on one contests I always tried a little harder to beat him. But it is illegal in football and Headland should be rightly suspended because of it.

What Selwood said wasn't illegal. He has a right to say it if he wants. What he spoke about was illegal, but there was nothing illegal in saying it.

I don't care if you've ever read my posts before. I don't write for other people and I don't even know who you are.

Formerly Spunjy, now mild mannered adult in major metropolitan playground.

Ha ha ha ha!!!

I see the joke! You're calling me a paedophile! That's really funny because of the topic. And it's like you've turned it around so that you're calling me a paedophile! And that's so topical, too. And then you used my signature as a witty carrier for the joke! Because it was about paedophilia and you changed university and student to be playground and adult. Which is really clever because that's where paedophiles go to look at little children. And at the same time you're calling me a paedophile. So it links in really well with it. Plus it's so topical!

:rolleyes:

You clearly don't get the idea of sledging, because that's just bad. That's where your team mates cringe and leave you alone.

Ok AXIS OF BOB lets leave it like this

Iside with the slightly overprotective Dad who defends the honour of his family.

You side with the People who think its ok to talk about having sex with children.

Thats where it stands