Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sandringham v Geelong - Saturday

So at this stage, I would have Pickett and Sylvia definitely back in the team next Sunday to play the Cats

Yep.

Also agree on Petterd. Its a real pity we didn't draft/rookie Valenti, with Davey being used across half-back by ND, a poised small forward would be very handy.

So the Grand Final replay really was a grand final replay, with Sandy opening up what should have been an unassailable lead, only to trip and stumble over the line, nearly handing the game to Geelong.

Sandy 23 11 149

Geelong 20 19 139

16 first-half goals was matched in the third quarter by the cats' 11.

This was one of those games where the teams were evenly matched, and both sides were allowed room to play good flowing footy. The telling element on the day was the skill level. When Sandy outskilled Geelong they looked a million bucks, and in the second half when the AFL listed cats starte to come into it, the tables were turned.

To go through the demon listed players without mentioning the Sandy listed players would be just plain wrong. Summers was BOG, Valenti, Sauntner and Gallagher played great games too, and went for 4 quarters, earning the win for Sandy.

Of the demons...

Yze probably could have dropped his head, but he played a fairly solid game, getting 20+ touches, playing mostly in the guts and delivering beautifully to teh forward-line on numerous occassions. He kicked 2 opportunistic goals too, one very important one to stem the tide. Not the best on the ground, but he more than did his fair share. Plenty of possessions in tight too, which was pleasing. I wouldn't say he shirked too many contests, but I do remember thinking he could have gone in a touch harder on 2 or 3 occassions. But not to worry. Baby steps. All this talk of him replacing Bartram is fairly doubtful. He played all 4 quarters, spending much of the second half in the forward line. If they were planning to play anyone for Bartram, you'd suggest it would be Godders, so that he can take out Crawford.

Sylvia was probably the best demon on the day. Resembled Poyas with hair. All the trademarks, including a bit of pace late in the game coming tearing through the middle. Played the whole match on the ground too. Kicked 3 goals (Maybe 4?). A very Sylvia game. Can't be far away now. You'd love to have his services on Monday. He really is too good for VFL.

PJ was pretty good in the ruck. Got plenty of very effective taps, and even took 2 over-head marks. In the last quarter he had one land right in his bread-basket uncontested and he spilled it which nearly led to a Cats' goal. 2 minutes later he picked up a loose ball and thumped it to Sauntner in the square who got the free and kicked the winning goal. A pretty good day for PJ which probably went a fair way to suggesting to people he has a bigger future than Jamar. Personally I expect him to play that well at Sandy every week.

Buckley got a heap of it coming out of defence and was very sharp and direct with his kicking. Smart head on his shoulders in all but one play where he went for a mark he should have spoiled that nearly led to Sandy losing the game. He and Petterd (who apparently prefers the pronunciation "PettARD") were a fantastic pair, waxing to great effect at times, while going in hard and delivering beautifully.

Ferguson plays this level well, but I wasn't too pleased with his delivery. He DOMINATED when the ball was on its way in, leaving his man and spoiling and marking to his hearts content. But when he got a bit of it, many of his possessions were clangers. I expect this is the way he'll always play.

Garland kicked 2 early goals, and handed a later one to Sylvia. After that we barely saw him, but even on a high scoring day that's nothing to be scoffed at. Same as what we already know. He'll need time. Seems EXTREMELY mobile.

Holland didn't have a bad day, but didn't have a good one either. Not a big possession winner and had a few problems in teh backline. Marked and goaled straight away in the last quarter which would have helped his confidence, but was nowhere near asking for a recall.

Neaves was very quiet, but probably didn't get the game time he would have liked. Took a couple of marks I think, and didn;t make any glaring errors.

Newton had a dirty day. Took the mark of the day on the wing just when he needed to in the final minutes, to stop Geelong's dominance. Gee didn't I lift then. In the first half, however, he was played on a wing and made a few errors, and a few incorrect decisions. Wasn't a liability exactly, as only 5-10 touches from him can be telling, but was a notch or two down from recent weeks. I was disappointed to see him NOT played from the forward line actually, and when he did drift forward it was all Sauntner.

Petterd. I wish I could say something profound to those who haven't seen him play, but I can't think of anything better than "classy, gutsy, hard, poised" which is the same sort of thig that's been said before. He was accountable and hard-working, and has a sensational kick out of defence. Once again, he's skinny (but not a wuss) and probably will need more time, but he looks the goods. Wish I could be more profound as he played well enough for people to sing his praises.

Pickett looked like he might do one or two things that might bring him into the game, but just as he'd do something good, he'd make a mistake. In the end he was benched and did VERY little in the second half. Isn't threatening for selection for my part, but then I might wait until Monday night before I stand by that.

Warnock was only ok. Still has so much to learn, but his pace is wonderful. Spent a lot of time on the bench unfortunately.

For the opposition Davenport and Johnson (5.5) were the dangers in the forward line.

A hard earned 4 points today, but they deserved them.

Yze was ok when Sandy were flying, nowhere to be seen when the Cats came back.

He did go forward then, though. While he was in the middle, Sandy dominated, and when he went into the pocket, they faded.

Rivers for Holland, Brown for McLean, Biz for Yze and possibly Godfrey for Bartram. Wheatley could take the place of any of those last 3. Has been playing great footy at Sandy for a short while.

Sandy play a very attacking style of footy which is great to watch but hard to maintain for the whole game which probably explains why we let geelong back in.

I was impressed with most melbourne players but i personally think pickett is of some concern. I understand his mind might be elsewhere but he seemed to lack footy smarts and a bit of touch. He is a few weeks off.

Yze was as good as a 200+ afl veteran should be. I don't think he played a great game but he did his bit which is important and will be enough for a recall if there is a spot up for grabs.

Sylvia has to be one of the strongest marks for his age getting around and is ready for a fp/hff role in the seniors.

Buckley was fairly explosive and has to be the next to debut.

Of the first year players Garland and Pettard did some great things. I can't see them playing seniors this year but when we clean out a few cobwebs (Godfrey, Holland, Ward) their should be plenty of room for them to step up.

Guest dee'viator
Paul Johnson dropping an uncontested mark and very nearly did cost us the game <_<

When JW retires in a few years we are in big trouble.

Yze did his little soccer kicks, got some centre breaks though but still not good enough. Pickett MIA, Sylvia was good.

He played well for most of the game but got the 'yips' twice when Sandy was in trouble. He settled after this to play out the game well. He seems to be unsure going for a 'mark' when he has to jump into or over an oponnent in front of him. But all in all he seems to be progressing onward from last seasons good work. A fine game from PJ.

I hate to bag anyone when they are down, particularly Melbourne players but the difference between Yze and Sylvia's second and third efforts is momentous. Sylvia never gives up, he'll flatten anyone who gets between him and the ball. Yze is forever trying to kick the ball off the ground, avoid body contact, he won't chase and was very disappointing.

I always love your repots Dappa but "Sylvia was probably the best demon on the day. Resembled Poyas with hair" am I missing something?

Juice didn't have a great day but took a speccy when the game was really in the balance. He almost took mark of the year in the first quarter but just missed it. For those that haven't seen him yet it is worth going down to the TBO just to watch him. There is no doubt he will be a freak player.

Garland started like a house on fire. He played his second year of footy last season after quitting in the under 13's. He hasn't played alot of footy but I like what I see.

Paul Johnson almost cost Sandy the game today he made 2 costly mistakes in a minute. He did however take 2 over head contested marks one of them was quite spectacular and he handballed it off to a running player before he even hit the ground. At 3/4 time in the huddle Johnson really took control of the midfield group and demonstrated some real leadership qualities.

Pickett didn't get a run in the last quarter and didn't do enough to warrant a game at Melbourne.

Warnock if you haven't got anything nice to say...

Agree with everything you've said there Wrecker. I'd add Ferguson to your Warnock remark. Garland looked a million bucks in the first half. Didn't get near it in the second half but that's okay, he has a lot of time on his side.

PJ will cop a lot of flak for those couple of howlers in the last quarter but IMO he was excellent prior to that. He was in absolutely everything.

Guest dee'viator
Sylvia a definite to come in next week. Absolute gun

Pickett as well. Didnt really have an influence, but who cares. Does his best work at the top level

Newton had a poor 1st quarter, then was moved forward and was magnificent. Might even play a game for the Demons this year?

Love the look of Ricky Petterd. Could be this years Clint Bartram (and if Barts knee injury is a bad one, may be a straight swap)

Yze was ok when Sandy were flying, nowhere to be seen when the Cats came back. No way will he be back next week

So at this stage, I would have Pickett and Sylvia definitely back in the team next Sunday to play the Cats

Sylvia was really good today but I'm sure that was his first full 4Qtr game this year & while it's easy to panick & rush him 'up' I for one hope he's kept back one more week to get his fitness 'cherry ripe', I don't want to see him reinjuring himself for the sake of 1 match.

Pickett played hard for over 2 Qtrs & sat out the last Q. He'd finished his role for the day.

Newton played a great game for a virtual 1st year SENIOR player at Sandy, remember he spent 2 seasons getting his body adjusted to the game & playing amongst boys @ Sandy 2nds. He's surpassing expectations @ this early stage. Keep up the good work & keep developing 'Newt'.

Ricky Petterd played the best game for Sandy that I've seen of him, he's been concentrating on the stopping his opponent side of his game to date & hadn't stood out a lot in past weeks but today he stepped up further & played accountable & a little more attacking football. A nice game by Ricky.

Yze played a good game, below what he could do & this is his problem. He cruises way too much instead of running himself into the ground for the team. He should be exhausted after every game as a measure of his team effort but you can tell he's not. (This attitude could be part of what Brock Mclean talked of this week regarding the near enough, good enough attitude.) In my oppinion he should NOT be promoted inside a months time, just so the message is taken seriously. His arrogant attitude of his senior position within MFC still shows way too much & was arguing & abusing the ump's when he could have been preparing himself for his next attack on the ball. Yze is also very slow by foot & his time will runout very quickly when it starts.?

Colin Garland looks a likely player for further down the track, playing well now at this level but can drift in & out of the game at this stage. Has some straightline speed & good hands, seems to make good choices, but needs time, is very green.

Ferg played a good game in defence, stoping or marking everything that came his way but ,Oh boy, he was shocking today with his use of the footbal. The options he chose to give the ball were usually the wrong ones & his kicks were attrocious, not up to his usual safe standard. He cost Sandy numerous goals today.

The whole backline were asleep, especially in the first half, as geelongs runners ran into the 50m presenting & recieeving.

The Zebras capped off a big day with a victory over last year's VFL grand final opponents Geelong. After unfurling the 2006 premiership flag Sandringham raced away to a big lead at half time but slackened off considerably after the main break and could have been considered a bit lucky to hold on to win the game. The Melbourne contingent, led by surprise visitor Adem Yze were a bit hold and cold. Yze collected over 30 possessions and Colin Sylvia was quite magnificent coming back from injury and playing forward. Peter Summers, Shane Valenti and Nick Sautner (7 goals) were strong throughout.

Sandringham 8.5.53 16.8.104 19.10.124 23.11.149

Geelong 5.5.35 5.10.40 16.12.108 20.19.139

Goal Kickers:

Sandringham N Sautner 7 C Sylvia 3 C Garland S Valenti A Yze 2 R Crowe R Ferguson B Holland P Johnson M Newton B Pickett P Summers

Geelong S Johnson 5 C Urie 3 D Barnes J Davenport S Hogan M Spencer 2 J Byrne N Djerrkura T Grima S Hunt

Best

Sandringham P Summers R Ferguson C Sylvia S Valenti N Sautner A Yze

Geelong S Johnson D Barnes J Byrne H Playfair T West J Davenport

Sandy was ambushed in the reserves by a Box Hill Hawks team containing two senior Hawks on the emergency list for Easter Monday's game - Jarryd Roughead and Michael Osborne as well as Josh Thurgood who also plenty of senior AFL experience. It was all legal because the Hawks senior team had the bye but one wonders whether stacking the reserves side with these players would benefit their team in the long run. Roughead booted 8 goals at full forward, Osborne 2 and Thurgood one as the hawks beat the young Zebras by 47 points in the curtain raiser.

Sandringham 3.3.21 8.9.57 10.11.71 12.15.87

Box Hill Hawks 9.4.58 13.6.84 16.12.108 20.14.134

Goal Kickers:

Sandringham P Zarra 4 D Hughes 3 D Gribbin K Hall S Martin S Monaghan S Tregear

Box Hill Hawks J Roughead 8 D Bradshaw 3 M Osborne 2 J Allan S Daniher E Johnson A Marguccio L McEntee T Pollett J Thurgood

Best

Sandringham R Gilchrist P Zarra S Monaghan P McGettigan M Gibb S Martin

Box Hill Hawks M Osborne J Roughead D Marcius J Allan L McEntee A Quinn

Was at the game today. Quite an extraordinary shootout. Sylvia really impressed me and could be back next week. Yze was solid and his decision making was good when it counted. Garland really showed that he is one to watch. In short apart from Peter Summers who was the obvious BOG I thought Sylvia was the best demon and special mention to Buckley who i'm gonna enjoy watching for the zebs!

I always love your repots Dappa but "Sylvia was probably the best demon on the day. Resembled Poyas with hair" am I missing something?

Juice. For those that haven't seen him yet it is worth going down to the TBO just to watch him. There is no doubt he will be a freak player.

What's wrong with that?!! I was happy with that. Was the comparison with Poyas the problem? Or the hair joke? I'll explain. Poyas has been a gun at this level for a few years now. Whenever I've watched Sandy he's absolutely dominated. He always looks fast, hard at it, physically dominant, can take marks usually impossible for a player of his size, and has a booming, penetrating, accurate kick. He wasn't too flash yesterday because he's coming back from injury, but the Poyas all Sandy fans know and love resembles Sylvia quite closely as a forward, at least at this level. Obviously there are differences, like Sylvia's unbelievable tackling ability, but for the most part they're fairly devastating players.

Absolutely right about Newton. I saw him 4 weeks ago and he's the major reason I made the trip the next 4 weeks in a row, along with Sylvia, Byron and Ooze at various times. He didn't impose himself as much on this contest, but you still got excited when you saw his number. Has absolutely got the lot this kid, but if he doesn't get regular 4 quarter games at a true CHF spot or out of the square I'm gonna start cracking it.

Garland started like a house on fire. He played his second year of footy last season after quitting in the under 13's. He hasn't played alot of footy but I like what I see.

That is wrong actually, because I played with him at under 15 and under 17 level

on valenti, i thought he didnt really put himself into the contest as hard as he should have

alot of the time managed to back out of the hard ball at the last second, and got lucky the ball spilled out to him

on sylvia, his tackling is superb!! hard, at the hips, just mauls them like a lion taking down its dinner, a sight to see

put him straight in against geelong, straight to the sqaure with neitz, robbo pushes up around the 40m-50m true CHF area, whilst miller does his thing further out!!

Couldn't disagree more about that brey. I thought Valenti was heading for BOG, and was playing sensational hard footy at about half time. Unfortunately he was one of the ones who went missing in the third quarter and even in the last at times. Yes he drifted out of the game but I don't know whether he stopped putting his body in.