Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Its Time for The Johnno's to cut loose

Old Man Rivers

Monday is the time to unleash triple Johnno Power

* Trapper is the team barometer. Was our leading vote getter in last years Brownlow & can carve up the opposition

like no other. Should be raring to go after last weeks shutdown by Baker. Tipping he will explode on Monday

* CJ has clearly bulked up & those that saw the Practice match V The Tigers got a glimpse of what he is capable of.

Its time to take it to the season real. Play him forward in bursts & he adds another classy scoring option.

* PJ should be raring to go this year. If the game plans not working mix it up.

Rotate him @ CHF & FF with Miller & Neitz.

Time to kick start our 2007 camapiagn - GO DEE'S

I really hope Melbourne supporters aren't expecting too much from Paul Johnson, in reality he's a player struggling to get a permanent spot with the starting 18. For anyone to expect that he'll dominate games is a bit much.

I really hope Melbourne supporters aren't expecting too much from Paul Johnson, in reality he's a player struggling to get a permanent spot with the starting 18. For anyone to expect that he'll dominate games is a bit much.

It's my feeling that if he'd been given the game-time that Jamar has had he'd be well ahead of him as a ruckman and around the ground with that same experience I'd suggest he'd now be quite handy. In terms of football nous I'd put Jamar on the same level as Miller. He's struggling to get a game because the selection panel has formed the opinion, right or wrong, that Jamar's the #2 selection. If Johnson hadn't put Melbourne back into the game against Sydney last year they'd have been zip-four and season over.

It's my feeling that if he'd been given the game-time that Jamar has had he'd be well ahead of him as a ruckman and around the ground with that same experience I'd suggest he'd now be quite handy. In terms of football nous I'd put Jamar on the same level as Miller. He's struggling to get a game because the selection panel has formed the opinion, right or wrong, that Jamar's the #2 selection. If Johnson hadn't put Melbourne back into the game against Sydney last year they'd have been zip-four and season over.

I agree. Had PJ not put his body on the line, it is likely that we would not have won that match. His influence on that game, in just 60-odd minutes, with his 2 goals and that aformentioned 2nd effort was massive. (And that's more influence on a single match than can be said about Jamar's whole career).

However for Paul, it also was the one single piece of team play that ended his season (he re-injured the shoulder in the VFL ressies in his 1st game back i think?), and allowed Jamar to play 22 games without any competition.

For what it's worth, i believe had Paul not hurt himself, last season would have turned out very different for both Johnson (who would have played the majority of the year), and Jamar (who would now be classed as our 3rd ruck).

I hate to be a 'Jamar-basher', but the gulf in skill sets and potential to become a 'good footballer' between the two players is huge, IMO.

Comparing someone to Jamar and Miller in terms of footy nous is the equivilent of damning someone with faint praise...

The reason why Jamar is favoured over him is because of his lack of rucking ability, I'm just not sure what we see in him that the eagles overlooked.

I think PJ's potential is a bit of an unknown quantity. Has never really impressed me that much for Sandy and beyond what ive seen he is supposed to be terrible above the shoulders...meaning that as a pinch hitter in the square Jamar would have it all over him.

Im certainly in agreement that we should give him more time but Im not going to rate him, or expect big things from him, until he gets more results.

One swallow does not make a summer.

So should we just stick with the current 22 for the rest of the year?

Its not that the players become better, its that they are an option to imrove the side which is what we all want. I'm not saying PJ is better than Miler, but if Miller is not working isn't he worth a punt?

Is that a no Scoop? Rhino?

Gouga,

I am concerned that at Rd 2 of the Home and Away season people are prepared to "punt" on positions. And its easy for people like us who have no accountability or responsibility to throw names up and say he should/should not play. I think any structural changes should be carefully considered.

I agree Miller is not playing well and FWIW I am on the record as saying he wont make it as a CHF. When you want to change Miller for PJ, you are essentially seeking to change a player who is struggling with AFL as a CHF for a guy who is struggling to make in AFL at two clubs and is a third choice ruckman where the secnod choice ruckman aint setting the world on fire.

In Miller's case he isnt marking (or often getting) the ball at the moment while PJ carries a fundamental problem that he cannot reliably take a grab above his shoulders. I am not convinced that PJ despite his height has the wherewithall to match with AFL opponents.

I further struggle with having White, Jamar and PJ in the 22 when they all at various times struggle in the ruck and are non existent elsewhere.

I think there are limited but better options.

What are the better options? And more importantly when are changes to be made? Round 5? 10? Or 15?

We have played some very poor football in the last 5 weeks (I admit I didn't see a couple of the challenge games). I believe with the current minset of our players we could lose a grip on this season very quickly.

We need a fresh game plan, and some fresh faces, their is time for players like Miller and Yze to work their way back in but that facts are they haven't got the job done for some time.

Yes PJ is a punt, but you RR would have us believe that no one has ever taken a punt in sport! ND is one of the unreactive coaches in the league, and you you Rhino, would fit into his coaching staff perfectly!

No expectations of initial domination by PJ - Just a Plan B if A doesnt work.

Dont underestimate his influence in Round 4 V Sydney last year.

He is a huge unit & with more opportunities will be important.

We need a couple of giants - White looked small up against Nix & Clarke last week.

Enough of PJ

What about CJ? Did anyone see what he produced V The Tigers 2 weeks ago.

It was bloody exciteing. Had the ball on a string, crashed takles & carried the lines.

The kid is a star waiting to happen. Get him out of the backline & into the middle & forward.

Comparing someone to Jamar and Miller in terms of footy nous is the equivilent of damning someone with faint praise...

The reason why Jamar is favoured over him is because of his lack of rucking ability, I'm just not sure what we see in him that the eagles overlooked.

Read again. I was comparing the footy nous of Jamar and Miller. They're on a par; whereas it's quite apparent that PJ has quite some innate feeling for the game that the other two have not.

What rucking ability does Jamar have? At best he provides a contest.

What about CJ? Did anyone see what he produced V The Tigers 2 weeks ago.

Key words there "V The Tigers."

They can occassionally turn it on the toigs, but they can also be among the biggest rabble in the AFL when they're having a bad day. If the gameplan we came up with on Friday was good enough to beat them a few weeks ago then they can't be too crash hot as opposition. If CJ plyed well against them, then that's great. But I want to see him play well against decent opposition on a hostile ground before I consider him an automatic selection.

Key words there "V The Tigers."

They can occassionally turn it on the toigs, but they can also be among the biggest rabble in the AFL when they're having a bad day. If the gameplan we came up with on Friday was good enough to beat them a few weeks ago then they can't be too crash hot as opposition. If CJ plyed well against them, then that's great. But I want to see him play well against decent opposition on a hostile ground before I consider him an automatic selection.

Dappa,

He was also one of our best against Hawthorn and played well in an intraclub. The guy is making every post a winner to get towards being selected each week. He has one bad week and the axe from some is unfairly for him. Imagine if his surname was Yze!

What are the better options? And more importantly when are changes to be made? Round 5? 10? Or 15?

We have played some very poor football in the last 5 weeks (I admit I didn't see a couple of the challenge games). I believe with the current minset of our players we could lose a grip on this season very quickly.

We need a fresh game plan, and some fresh faces, their is time for players like Miller and Yze to work their way back in but that facts are they haven't got the job done for some time.

Yes PJ is a punt, but you RR would have us believe that no one has ever taken a punt in sport! ND is one of the unreactive coaches in the league, and you you Rhino, would fit into his coaching staff perfectly!

I would have Neitz at CHF. Second option would be Holland.

We have been developing a new game plan. We were OK against Richmond. We were good against Hawthorn who had a longer pre-season than us. It has not been all doom and gloom and we have had a number of players with interrupted pre season.

You have seen one game and the baby's out with the bath water.

Miller might be fading but I am not sure that an 198cm rover that cant mark offers us much. Its ironic that he CHF in Rd 1 last year. Its telling that as ruckman he cant even oust Jamar.

You must have been beside yourself in Rd 3 last year.

I'd rather a planned and thought process than a knee jerk reaction.

THe onus is ND to get the players and the plan going. Aside from Rivers, Sylvia and Pickett, i dont believe there are any other players whose performance are knocking on the door.

Keep punting!

Dappa,

He was also one of our best against Hawthorn and played well in an intraclub. The guy is making every post a winner to get towards being selected each week. He has one bad week and the axe from some is unfairly for him. Imagine if his surname was Yze!

I never said the axe was for him. He's well and truly in my 22, and in the same vein as Jones and Bate he MUST be allowed a few bad ones simply because he is a player who must be considered the future of the club. But like I said, there's a difference between selecting him based on what he CAN do, compared to selecting him based on what he HAS done. So far I've seen only the one H&A game that he's been any more than a 6/10.

For the record I'm fairly confident his skill by foot will come to the fore on Monday, and I'm looking foward to seeing him play off the HBF. I should say I HOPE they play him off the HBF.

Would love to see PJ back in

he was really putting it all together last year before hurting his shoulder with an inpirational attack on the ball vs the Swans

PJ has not earnt his selection, and CJ and TJ have done little to retain their selection.

I can see a bright 07 for TJ and CJ, however PJ will have to work much harder to force jamar form the 2nd ruck spot.

"I would have Neitz at CHF. Second option would be Holland."

Dear oh dear oh dear. I will never live to see a 13th premiership if this sort of thinking prevails. Perhaps we can locate a time-machine down at Cash Converters if the first scenario is to be attempted.

I am also alarmed by the chorus that greeted the possible resurrection of Wheatley - Number 31 indeed.

PJ should be given a chance to prove himself as CHF - it is as simple as that. Before the injuries came to the fore, he was a high enough draft pick. He won a Liston medal. Give him some gametime. Leave Miller on the wing.

Biffinator.

I am also alarmed by the chorus that greeted the possible resurrection of Wheatley - Number 31 indeed.

Was one of our best players in 2005

I hope he gets back in and regains form

he is a massive upgrade over Ward off the back flank, and can play tall or short

We desperately miss his kicking in from opponents behinds

Wheatley I wouldn't mind back in over Ward to be honest. They are similiar players but Wheatley can play tall, and with Bell, Whelan and Bartram already in the side we have enough small defenders, though Ward was decent last week and provided some forward movement when other players just ****ed around with the ball.

TJ needs to step up. I fear he may never realise his potential. The other Johnsons aren't guys who will lift our side. It's up to Bruce, Green, Yze, Davey, Miller and co., and it'd be nice if they actually lifted when we need them for once.