Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sandy Updates?

dazzledavey36

Guest dee'viator
Any updates on how sandy is going?

thanks

the mighty Zebs got up after the Scorpions took it to them in the 1st.

Sandy Winners 19ish goals to Scorps 14ish.

Guest dee'viator
the mighty Zebs got up after the Scorpions took it to them in the 1st.

Sandy Winners 19ish goals to Scorps 14ish.

Sandy from the 2ndQ matched the intensity of the scorpions 1stQ, particularly after the St-K gardiner copped a solid bump in a contest & than went after the man. THE CROWD ERUPTED.

Following this incident the Zebs seemed to take the ascendancy & scorps decended & lost the passion.

Yep. Not a bad game to watch, for a praccy.

I went down mostly because I was depressed about Friday, and I saw a good style of footy played by Sandy, who deserved to win. Flowing through the middle to a grand total of 3 key forwards plus Sylvia, who was sort of a key forward anyway. Valenti is a star. Brown looked good. Wheatley looked classy coming out of defence. A pretty good preparation really. Gehrig walked past me at one stage. Nearly kneecapped him...

Byron: I got there after the first 15 minutes of the opening quarter, and while they handed me a team - sheet with Byron's name on it, he wasn't out there. I hope he didn't get hurt in the opening few minutes. Still possibly could play on Monday week since it's a long break. Maybe they were just keeping him in cotton wool. Doubt it though.

Bizzell: The defence was very leaky in the first quarter. Bizzell wasn't the guy to blame though. He had a job on a player and he did it. As the game wore on he started to find some confidence, getting some kicks, drifting forward to receive. A steady head back there was what held up the Scorpions' momentum. He went for and even took some important flat footed jumping marks. The problem here is whether or not the dees need that. We had no shortage of players willing to go for a strong contested mark in defence. That wasn't our problem. Don't know if there'll be room for him, but he did his chances no harm today.

Neville: Didn't see him, but I followed our forward-line all day.

Buckley: Completely forgot he was playing until late in the game, I had my mind on other things. To me he looked different from how he looked against the Hawks, even in the role he was playing. Seemed even a touch slower too. Not filled with confidence, but the fact we're playing against a side he played well against may work in his favour. Once again, he was in defence and I was at the wrong end of the ground.

Brown: Had about 12 touches in the last quarter. If what we want is running defenders to receive all these handballs then there's scarcely a better choice than this guy. Went in hard, tackled hard at times and delivered relatively well. Not penetrating long kicks, but useful ones nonetheless. It'll be ineteresting to see how he goes. The mere fact that he collects a lot of possessions may be enough to get him selected. I'm going to say 75-80% chance of playing on Monday week.

Garland: Looked like a quiet pocket until the game wore on. I've finally seen why they rate him so highly. He's not that big and not that experienced, but the kid can play. Looks glorious on the lead and in the air. Soft firm hands even when under the pump. Especially when under the pump. Couldn't seem to find the gap between the big posts as much as he would have liked, but he ran rings around a similar aged opponent. Not ready to play AFL just yet, but then neither was Jones or Bate at this time last year. Wouldn't be among the best, but I've seen enough now. I like him.

Warnock: My goodness he's quick, and he kicked short, but beautifully today. Switched play to the guts when necessary. Looked pretty good for a few plays. He's that quick along the ground that if someone could just teach him how to play footy he'd be an awesome weapon to have in your arsenal. Doesn't like running off his man, unless he has the pill. He was pretty good, but if a tall's going to get promoted, it's going to be the Biz.

Sylvia: Good news people. He wasn't too shabby at all. Last week I thought he played well, but lamented his obvious discomfort and lack of mobility. He ran more, ran harder, ran for longer and even once or twice took off on sensational sprints. Gee he's spectacular when he takes off after it, or after a player in possession. There was one play where a loose ball was heading towards the pocket boundary. We had a runner after their player who was closest, and Col tore off, overtaking the Zebs player and collecting the Scorpion in a ferocious tackle that netted him a free. The only way to describe this play is to try to get you to imagine footage on the discovery channel of one of the big cats (panther, cheetah, lioness) collecting a Gazelle. The opposition player crumbles in a mess of arms, legs, spit, sweat and dirt in a big cloud. Colin takes them to ground but somehow maintains a kind of balance. His head doesn't really move all that much, and his limbs keep moving to improve his grip, just like the paws of a big cat digging into wriggling prey in slow motion. He's born for this kind of contact, that much is clear. Let's hope the umpires don't ruin the spectacle for us. Towards the end of the third he was taking off on a trademaek run and looked absolutely shattered afterwards. After that he didn't have too much to do, and I think he spent some time on the bench.

Petterd: Once again, he was in defence, but somehow I saw a bit more of him. I'd like to see him win prodigious amounts of the footy like they say he can, only because he's so highly rated. He played well, but isn't near selection just yet.

Newton: Juice is fantastic. His hands are as sticky below his knees as they are when he's soaring over a pack. Sauntner didn't venture far out of the square today, and while Newton went there at bounces, he was at CHF for most of the match. That's right people. CHF. And he did very well too. At one point Godfrey came streaming from defence and drilled it to Sylvia who dropped it, retrieved under pressure on the deck, handballed to Newton, who looked like any good rover would pumping it down Sauntner's throat. Goal. And wasn't big Nick pumped up! He came out swearing and pumping his fists in a praccy match. But what pleased me was how satidfied Sylvia was when he went to Juice and gave him an enthusiastic high five. Didn't over-do it, was just really thrilled to have worked hard and gotten just desserts. Personally I was a little disappointed at first to see Sauntner hogging the square. Sylvia went there to keep him company when Juice wandered further up the ground. I was hoping to see some of Newton's leads, but as it was I was even more excoted to see a dominant CHF performance from a player in the side I was going for. The only thing he didn't do was go for a screamer, and even towards the end, he gave me what I wanted. Didn't complete it, but gee it looked good. In a nutshell, last time I saw him he looked good, and seemed to have more skills than his fair share. He added to those today with his work below his knees, in tight, and his difficult shots on goal. From what I've seen, I'm yet to pick a weakness... Even when he missed, he missed well. He took a difficult shot from fifty in the third. Did the grass in the air thing, started it left which was the correct thing to do, and it drew back, just not quite far enough. He had the right idea, was just a touch unlucky. Go you good thing Newton. Is he a chance to get selected? I'm finding it hard to find reasons for him NOT to play. Dunn's out, and Robbo and Neita looked ok. But if they want Miller to go, we could do a lot worse than Juice. One of two things will happen with him. Either he'll come on and kick 4 goals in the 20 minutes Daniher gives him, or he'll take WEEKS to make an impact at senior level, steadily improving as he goes. Perhaps it's premature, but I'd love to see him get a game.

PJ: Not bad. Certainly mobile, but he doesn't EVER go for marks. He punches and hopes he'll be quick enough to retrieve it. That's certainly playing to his strengths, but he needs to make some changes if we want him to kick on. His pre-season was unfortunate in that he couldn't learn new things as he was in recovery the whole time. Looked ok in the ruck actually. Didn't see a whole lot of Gardiner though...

Godfrey: Was Godfrey. He could win the Liston if he played enough, but he just doesn't know how to make that next step. Kicked 2 goals, one from a controversial fifty, one a ripper on the run. His second half was pretty strong, made a lot of runs, and didn't try to do too much by foot. A confidence builder for him, and given our atrocious midfield 2 days ago, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him play. Would be some peoples' BOG.

Neaves: Quiet day. Rucked well, and a lot, but didn't have too many telling possessions, and had fewer marks. Looked better than in recent weeks, but is a way off last year's form.

Wheatley: Would be among the best, and is probably my MFC BOG. Kicked an unbelievable nine-pointer. Ran VERY hard, made room, and even seemed pretty quick compared to my memory of him. Did what Brown did, only less possessions and FAR more distance with his kicks. Is a class above at this level, and looking very fit. The favourite to come back for mine, along with Brownie.

Fergsuon: Looked a bit slow and unc at first, but by the end was beating his opponent to the ball comfortably. Strong game. Inline for a call-up, but behind to many to be seriously considered.

Of the Sandy players, Valenti was my BOG. How has no-one picked him up? Even at his size. Led like a captain all day, kicking goals, kicking into the forward line. he was superb. Here's the thing I don't understand. If we dropped Godfrey from the list and recruited Valenti, we'd have a better player who has many more years left in the comp! Why NOT select him. OUr list will only improve.

Tomi Johnson is fast becoming my favourite player. Caught fire in the second half. Liddell is a gun. Sauntner is a crazy man. It's frustrating for us having to see him play out of the square at Newton's expenxe, but Sandy need a regular target, so I can't argue much.

Just a thought. The bezt way to watch footy at Sandy is on the grass away from people. How are you supposed to concentrate on the footy when there's that much quality tail wandering around? Footballers' girlfriends are unbelievable. The rock-stars of the 21st century.

Oooh... I'm starting, or perhaps joining, a following. I'm pumped about this kid.

Thankfully RR hasn't reminded me of my past comments about him. Everyone should make the time to get down to Sandy to see him play. There's only so much my powers of description can cover. He has to be seen to be appreciated.

Final scores Sandy 20.15.135.......Casey 14.10.94

From a Sandy view Wheatley was Melbourne's best...and his goal in the last 1/4 would have gone at least 60-65 metres...sensational to watch...

Possibly played his way into Melbourne's team this week

Nice to see sandy playing well early on (even if only a practice game). If newton hits his straps this year, I wouldnt be at all suprised if he lines up at CHF at some stage during this season in the red and blue. Dunny is a while off, and miller might be shifted around if his game doesnt improve. If the dees were unlcuky enough to get some injureid to marking forwards, he could line up for the dees. No smithy this year, so newton is no longer the last in line.

A spot could open up for newton, stay tuned.

I went down mostly because I was depressed about Friday, and I saw a good style of footy played by Sandy, who deserved to win.

Good summary Dappa Dan. I have a feeling that Jace Bode might have taken part in the game (he was listed as #46 in the programme and I'm sure he was running around the boundary but I have to confess that I didn't notice him).

As far as team selection for next week's concerned, I regard the MFC Football Department as rather on the conservative side so they won't make too many changes in my view. Paul Wheatley is a certainty to come in and Jared Rivers , who missed this week still getting over his hamstring strain from a couple of weeks ago, will come in. At most, there will be one other change - possibly Colin Sylvia for any one of half a dozen players who disappointed on Friday night.

At another time of year and possibly at another club, someone like Michael Newton might even get his chance as early as next week but I can't see it for Easter Monday. I think you'd want to ease in a player like him very slowly and if possible into a team that's travelling well. He really did show something but he's not quite ready although if he keeps on working hard at Sandy he might just get into the Melbourne side in the first half of the season.

Petterd and Garland are impressive future prospects but most of the others like PJ, Godders, Doggy & Bizz - I'm sorry but picking them at this stage would be like moving deckchairs on the Titanic.

Yeah. Somehow missed Jace. Would you believe my wrap was written in a rush? Sorry Jace. But yes. Didn't notice him.

You're probably right regarding selections there WJ. Though I think Doggy has a role to play, certainly a greater role than some of the players that played on Friday.

On Newton, I had him pencilled in for 1 game at some stage, 3 games if he's lucky and we're going well, and 6 games if he has any sort of impact and we have injuries. All those games in my mind were to come later in the year too, possibly after round 8-10. Now I can see us using him as early as round 4, if the situation presents itself.

At this stage there are too many reasons to play him for me to cover. But it's the reasons NOT to play him that will define his selection. As you say, we may only want to give him a run when the team is going well, and against a weaker opponent. Also it has to be the G. He has to play well consistently week in week out. And he has to play well when the real season begins. If Sandy starts to struggle, how he plays in that scenario will make a big difference one way or the other. Put all those things together and he's in like Flynn.

Thanks guys. Good reports.

Can't see to many changes. Rivers a certainty to come in. I hear Wheels will most likely be ok to play.

Brock they say will be out for around 4 weeks (yet to be confirmed??).

Is Newton physically ready to play AFL at CHF?? Sounds like he hasa really improved.

Col will need a few more games at Sandy before coming in but he sounds close.

Byron wasnt there and didnt play, he didnt get injured in the first 15 minutes.

Newton is certainly ready to play AFL in terms of his body shape and strength; he would look lost in his first game i reckon but could also very easily see him taking the pack marks we see him take down at Sandy.

Pretty good wrap up of the game DD except for what you said about Buckley. Yeah, a bit different role of half back but he had a number of runs through the midfield. He is real quick. Didnt look like him out on the ground and he was wearing 11 which doesnt help. But i saw him a bit and thought he played fairly well with plenty of leg speed and confidence.

It is a shame about Valenti. Last year he was consistant and good but never really ripped games apart. This pre-season he has shown he can do that and maybe an even better year this year will see him on an AFL list somewhere next year.

its a shame that i dont think neale would have the courage do play newton out of the blue, he will need both one of the forwards to either be injured or have a few bad games in a row, and to dominate at sandy for a few weeks in a row, because if we dont play newton this year, then he will be gone at years end (and he is too much of a natural talent to leave our list)

btw, what did you mean that sylvia looked shattered? think he felt something in his groin? because i think his opportunity is right now, especially that brock is out for a few weeks (with the rotations we were running, he will be able to play 1/2 to 3/4 of the game easily)

Is Newton physically ready to play AFL at CHF??

Is anyone ever really ready to play CHFin the AFL? No. He would be brought in as a third tall option, and depending on the situation may get a run there, but wouldn't be relied upon in that respect. One thing I forgot to mention was his incredible defensive work around the fifty. Kept picking players off, grabbing marks from kick ins, tackling and getting frees that he would dish off for team-mates' goals. Seriously finding it hard to come up with things he HASN'T done at Sandy... Ovulate maybe?

Newton is certainly ready to play AFL in terms of his body shape and strength; he would look lost in his first game i reckon but could also very easily see him taking the pack marks we see him take down at Sandy.

Pretty good wrap up of the game DD except for what you said about Buckley.

It is a shame about Valenti.

Yep. Just because he looks good now doesn't mean he wouldn't be an absolute waste of space in the big leagues early on in his career. The one thing that I can't help but think is how his brand of footy would transfer. He can hustle and bustle like Miller, lead and mark like Neita, Jump and take outstretched marks like Robbo (but not on the chest, that's Robbo's domain), can take a mark in a pack flat footed, and he likes a sneaky one from the boundary like Ooze. His set-shots (thought inaccurate today) are studied too, and he has a routine. He has a kind of arrogance too. Perhaps confidence. There's no reason to think he'll struggle because he's too small, or skinny, or can't kick... Unlike Godfrey who will get found out every time, Newton seems to be a born AFL footballer, at least skill wise. And all these people who say his head might get in the way, well I've seen absolutely NO sign of an attitude problem.

I absolutely retract all statements about Buckley and leave it to others to comment on him. I was there to watch the forward line mostly.

Valenti. How old is he? Going on today he should be playing AFL, but he is VERY tiny. Let's see how he goes for the year. If he drops back to the pack then that will make sense.

btw, what did you mean that sylvia looked shattered?

HA! Sorry about that. Naah, I meant shattered as in buggered. He was blowing pretty hard just at the end of the third quarter. If his groin was giving him trouble he didn't show it. He was fine. He's closer to getting a game than I thought Bartram was a week ago, and look what happened there. In one sense, Bartram ended up getting selected, but in another sense, you could say it was premature.

its a shame that i dont think neale would have the courage do play newton out of the blue, he will need both one of the forwards to either be injured or have a few bad games in a row, and to dominate at sandy for a few weeks in a row, because if we dont play newton this year, then he will be gone at years end (and he is too much of a natural talent to leave our list)

btw, what did you mean that sylvia looked shattered? think he felt something in his groin? because i think his opportunity is right now, especially that brock is out for a few weeks (with the rotations we were running, he will be able to play 1/2 to 3/4 of the game easily)

You're right. It would be courageous to play Newton this week.

I think he's at around the same stage as Lynden Dunn was 12 months ago and therefore getting close. It was at this stage last year that Dunn put together a few good displays and suddenly he was in the team to play Geelong. Similarly, Newton needs those additional top flight performances at Sandringham before he is given a place in the team.

That's right WJ. I need to see a bit more personally, but if he plays, say, 2 good ones I'm going to start opening threads on him.

The biggest problem is neither Robbo or Neitz, who both were good on Friday, are going to get dropped, even if they start misfiring. The only KP hole in the team is at CHF or maybe on the bench as a rotation against a team with a tall defence. Until there's a hole, he may not get a go. Also, when Dunn comes back you just know hes going to make it difficult for Newton.

Must remind myself. Don't get TOO excited. It's only early days.

Guest dee'viator
Good summary Dappa Dan. I have a feeling that Jace Bode might have taken part in the game (he was listed as #46 in the programme and I'm sure he was running around the boundary but I have to confess that I didn't notice him).

As far as team selection for next week's concerned, I regard the MFC Football Department as rather on the conservative side so they won't make too many changes in my view. Paul Wheatley is a certainty to come in and Jared Rivers , who missed this week still getting over his hamstring strain from a couple of weeks ago, will come in. At most, there will be one other change - possibly Colin Sylvia for any one of half a dozen players who disappointed on Friday night.

At another time of year and possibly at another club, someone like Michael Newton might even get his chance as early as next week but I can't see it for Easter Monday. I think you'd want to ease in a player like him very slowly and if possible into a team that's travelling well. He really did show something but he's not quite ready although if he keeps on working hard at Sandy he might just get into the Melbourne side in the first half of the season.

Petterd and Garland are impressive future prospects but most of the others like PJ, Godders, Doggy & Bizz - I'm sorry but picking them at this stage would be like moving deckchairs on the Titanic.

Yer' good call Whispering, I agree,.

Guest dee'viator
Yeah. Somehow missed Jace. Would you believe my wrap was written in a rush? Sorry Jace. But yes. Didn't notice him.

You're probably right regarding selections there WJ. Though I think Doggy has a role to play, certainly a greater role than some of the players that played on Friday.

On Newton, I had him pencilled in for 1 game at some stage, 3 games if he's lucky and we're going well, and 6 games if he has any sort of impact and we have injuries. All those games in my mind were to come later in the year too, possibly after round 8-10. Now I can see us using him as early as round 4, if the situation presents itself.

At this stage there are too many reasons to play him for me to cover. But it's the reasons NOT to play him that will define his selection.[/b] As you say, we may only want to give him a run when the team is going well, and against a weaker opponent. Also it has to be the G. He has to play well consistently week in week out. And he has to play well when the real season begins. If Sandy starts to struggle, how he plays in that scenario will make a big difference one way or the other. Put all those things together and he's in like Flynn.

I hope they don't throw him to the wolves because even though he played a very good game yesterday he was struggling & was 'over trying' & was misstiming his go at the ball. His in too much of a rush to prove himself, I has a word yesterday & suggested he trust himself & his instincts like he normally does, then it will all start to flow.

DUNNY should be back for around rnd 3.

I'd like to see Newt around rnd 14 to 16...

PS. Newt got a corkie late yesterday & went to the rooms.

You're right. It would be courageous to play Newton this week.

Yes you're right, it would be very courageous Prime Minister.

Actually it would be unjustifiable IMO. It reeks of desperation and he hasn't earned it. Many were calling for Smith last year but he didn't get a game until the very end. People then realised why.

Newton has not been as good as Smith. He's more brilliant, he's a much better prospect, but he's nowhere near AFL footy.

This competition is tough. Playing someone who is so clearly not ready just gives the opposition an advantage. The reality is that unless our key players start playing well it doesn't matter what we do with no's 16 to 22 on the list. Losing Brock for 6 weeks is massive, lets not compound it by taking a huge punt on a player who hasn't proven himself at VFL level yet.

Romantic, courageous but wrong.

Yes you're right, it would be very courageous Prime Minister.

Puhlease, leave me out of that until after the next general election.

As I said above Newton still needs some good performances in the bank before they can promote him but having said that, he's an intriguing prospect. I really meant it when I said at a different time he might have been under strong consideration for a game this week. Remember the days when clubs would pluck 17 and 18 year olds like Alan Noonan and Peter McKenna out of the suburbs or the bush and they'd be ready to go straight away?