Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SPECIAL FEATURE: THE RIGHT PRESCRIPTION

Demonland

THE RIGHT PRESCRIPTION (PART ONE) by Whispering Jack

Sadly, we now live in the post football age (i.e., beyond the age of football as we once knew it). With less than a week to go before the start of the football season the focus is not on the opening round or the skills and talents of our footballers but rather on the chemical substances that some of them are taking, who supplied them and how the hell are we going to deal (no pun intended) with it all.

When we do take the time to talk about the footy nowadays, it's all about once alien tactics and strategies like "tempo football" and "run and carry". Worse still, these modern day post football age coaches have had the temerity to play around with the game so much that the traditional positions on the ground that were used to characterise a given player's role in the game are also falling by the wayside. I always used to think that one of the most important positions in football (along with that of the ruck) was centre half forward. At some time last year however, I discovered that our coaching geniuses had decided to abolish the position - virtually without any notice to us unsuspecting fans.

That's right! The CHF no longer exists except of course, on those dodgy team lists they produce on a Thursday night which mean nothing and rarely come close to matching the actual line-ups when the teams run out onto the ground at the weekend.

Then there are those pesky rule changes. It seems that every season in this post football age we have to start off with new rules and interpretations imposed on the footballing fraternity by people who seem intent on turning the game into something other than the game we grew to love as kids (i.e. before the post football age).

We all know that by mid season, the rules will be interpreted differently again and by that time, the fans will be so frustrated and confused that there will be no choice but for them to take it out on the usual scapegoats - the poor white maggots who officiate. Really, umpire baiting is probably the one constant of the post football age - we all love to abuse the white maggots except they no longer dress up in white but in such a varying pastiche of colours that we're sometimes not even sure as to who they are as they run around the ground (or, for that matter, what they're doing out there)!

So please forgive me if, in assessing the Demon players on the eve of the new season, I sound a bit confused because I am confused.

How can you assess your players when you don't know from one minute to the next, whether the style of game that's currently in vogue makes any given player a vital cog or totally superfluous to the team's game plan?

These are just some of the issues that confronted me when I sat down to prepare my traditional top ten list of MFC players in advance of the 2007 season. What I'm endeavouring to do here is not so much produce a list of the ten best players at the club - instead, it's my top ten players in order of importance towards the team's quest to win an AFL premiership. In other words, the players who I think can fire the team up to go those few extra long steps forward that are necessary to wrest West Coast's mantle away from them so that David Neitz can stand on the podium at the end of September waving that much coveted piece of silverware over his head. As the erstwhile premiership coach might well be saying at this very moment, I'm looking for the right prescription for success.

Twelve months ago, I bemoaned the fact that the club was still not quite there. The team had faded out late in 2004 after reaching the top at the end of round 18. The fadeout came a little earlier in 2005 but there was enough steely resolve to fight back with desperation in late 2005. Last year, after a poor start, the engine purred until round 17 when a series of injuries brought everything to a screeching halt for almost a month. At least the team won a finals game, although it was fortunate to strike an even more decimated team in St. Kilda in the elimination final.

The club appears to have made an effort to attack the deficiencies exposed in the finals defeats of recent years, the players appear primed to peak at the business end but it all remains so much up in the air. We need the players to perform both individually and as a team.

So here's my top ten. It's totally subjective and, like the people who change the rules of the game, I made a lot of it up as I went along so now I'm ready to cop the usual stream of invective and threatening hate mail. It comes with the territory and, after all, it's only one man's opinion:-

1. Brock McLean Jumper: [5] Date of Birth: 11.03.86, Height: 184 cm, Weight: 86 kg, Recruited from: Calder U18. Selection # 5 - 2003 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2004 Round 11 v Fremantle.

Statistics: 47 games, 479 kicks, 178 marks, 296 handballs, 775 disposals, 25 goals, 11 behinds, 3 hit outs, 163 tackles, 27 frees for, 40 frees against.

What strikes you about this kid is that he has a sense of purpose, is totally focussed on his game and on improving it in every facet. The MFC hasn't had someone of that ilk since ... well, the last game of 1964 when the great Ronald Dale Barassi bowed out of his MFC career (although we didn't know it at the time) clutching a premiership trophy - his sixth as a league footballer.

2. Travis Johnstone [16] 17.07.80 183cm 83 kg Dandenong U18 Selection # 1 - 19997 AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1998 Round 1 v Fremantle.

Statistics: 145 games, 1784 kicks, 530 marks, 610 handballs, 2,394 disposals, 104 goals, 62 behinds, 4 hit out’s, 292 tackles, 119 frees for, 105 frees against.

Trapper is an elite player in terms of talent and skill. It's hard to believe that it's taken almost a decade from him to force his way into elite AFL status but he's there now in my book. His body looks so much stronger these days and I expect this will stand him in good stead in combating the buffeting he inevitably will receive from opposition taggers.

3. Jared Rivers [27] 18.10.84 192cm 92 kg North Adelaide (SA) Selection # 26 - 2002 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2003 Round 19 v Geelong.

Statistics: 61 games, 398 kicks, 308 marks, 325 handballs, 723 disposals, 4 goals, 4 behinds, 3 hit outs, 138 tackles, 49 frees for, 40 frees against.

As I said above the position of CHF has disappeared from the game, so what do you need a CHB for? Well, Rivers is more than just a CHB, he's the club's number 1 defender and he's coming back to the sort of form that earned him NAB Rising Star Status in 2004. In fact, he looks so good at the moment that I expect him to transcend that form in 2007. He makes up for a lack of pace with his football nous - he can mark and spoil and his defensive timing is excellent. I really believe that Rivers can become a genuine champion in Melbourne's defence and that's a term I don't use lightly. We can also expect to see him drift forward on occasion to kick goals as he did last year on Queens Birthday against the mortal enemy.

4. Jeff White [34] 19.02.77 195cm 95 kg Southern U18.Fremantle Selection # 1 - 1994 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1995 Round 3 for Fremantle v Fitzroy (32 games). Traded in 1997 for draft selections 2 & 18. MFC Debut 1998 Round 1 v Fremantle (199 games).

Statistics: 231 games, 1884 kicks, 1180 marks, 1381 handballs, 3,265 disposals, 99 goals, 66 behinds, 4,268 hit outs, 326 tackles, 201 frees for, 185 frees against.

The high leaping ruckman's standing in the game was dealt a severe blow by the changes in the ruck centre circle rule a couple of years ago. This forced him to make some changes to his style and even so, he's no longer in the All Australian ruckman class. He gives away a lot of inches to the best in the competition and he can't ruck all day any more. However, there's a huge gape between White and our next best ruckman and that makes his role at the club even more crucial. A solid year from Jeff White is vital to the club's 2007 prospects.

5. Cameron Bruce [32] 30.09.79 190cm 88 kg MHSOB Selection # 64 - 1999 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2000 Round 1 v Richmond.

Statistics: 146 games, 1378 kicks, 704 marks, 998 handballs, 2376 disposals, 173 goals, 116 behinds, 35 hit outs, 337 tackles, 108 frees for, 100 frees against.

A gifted footballer, Bruce's importance will be seen in his versatility and athleticism - he can take out an opposition footballer (I say that in the nicest possible way) and he can also be creative in the midfield and going forward where he can kick goals.

6. David Neitz [9] 22.01.75 191cm 103 kg Parkmore VMFL Zone Selection AFL Debut 1993 Round 1 v Hawthorn.

Statistics: 286 games, 2328 kicks, 1414 marks, 795 handballs, 3123 disposals, 602 goals, 347 behinds, 308 hit outs, 258 tackles, 125 frees for, 197 frees against.

This man holds almost every record of note at the club but is fast running out of opportunities to play in a premiership. He is important because of his experience, leadership and his position as the only true reliable power forward at the club (now that CHF has been abolished). He kicked 66 goals, including bags of eight against St Kilda (Round 10) and the Kangaroos (Round 20) and six against the Hawks (Round 8). He has to stay healthy, kick goals consistently and learn to play (read as "milk") the latest hands on back interpretation when going for the mark. Who knows what might happen if the umpires deal with him as generously as they have with some of the others in the pre season games? He might even create another club record by kicking a ton in a season!

7. Brad Green [18] 13.03.81 184cm 85 kg Tassie U18 Selection # 19 1999 National AFL Draft AFL Debut 2000 Round 2 v North Melbourne.

Statistics: 148 games, 1374 kicks, 673 marks, 739 handballs, 2113 disposals, 194 goals, 107 behinds, 9 hit outs, 271 tackles, 80 frees for, 110 frees against

Green had a reasonably good season in 2006 picking up plenty of possessions in his role as a midfielder but a nasty spur in his foot and other injuries definitely affected his normally reliable kicking skills. A few post season operations now have him back as good as gold and he can build on the improved consistency he showed in 2006. Ready for a big season in 2007.

8. Aaron Davey [36] 10.06.83, 177cm 72 kg Port Melbourne Selection # 3 - 2004 Rookie Draft, 2004 rookie elevation AFL Debut 2004 Round 1 v Hawthorn.

Statistics: 64 games, 582 kicks, 149 marks, 205 handballs, 787 disposals, 95 goals, 67 behinds, 0 hit outs, 184 tackles, 53 frees for, 47 frees against.

The exciting goal kicking crumber has also been given assignments further downfield and lifted last year with the presence of Byron Pickett. That Davey magic is a vital X factor ingredient in the Melbourne make up and if he takes further steps forward in 2007, the team will benefit enormously.

9. Matthew Whelan [45] 13.11.79 180cm 84 kg Woodville – West Torrens (SA) Selection # 50 1999 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2000 Round 4 v St. Kilda.

Statistics: 123 games, 927 kicks, 453 marks, 811 handballs, 1738 disposals, 13 goals, 7 behinds, 2 hit outs, 328 tackles, 106 frees for, 76 frees against.

Whelan's importance in the role of the small, ever-reliable and courageous back pocket player with the ability to win the ball was no better emphasised when he was absent from the team's defence in its semi final defeat at Subiaco. I've said it before and I'll say it again - his presence in defence lifts his teammates and that's a vital element because of the importance of keeping the opposition's score down to a minimum in this post football age.

10. James McDonald [23] 05.10.76 180cm 78 kg Old Xaverians 1997 Rookie Draft 1997 rookie elevation AFL Debut 1997 Round 17 v Collingwood.

Statistics: 177 games, 1720 kicks, 620 marks, 1187 handballs, 2907 disposals, 45 goals, 57 behinds, 27 hit outs, 559 tackles, 196 frees for, 141 frees against

Coming off a stellar season in which he was made an All-Australian and won club best and fairest honours as a hard tackling on baller, finally gaining the recognition in the football community which he so richly deserves. A big possession winner, Junior will remain an important cog in the team's emerging midfield.

That's the top 10 but the right prescription for a team's success cannot be filled by only looking at what's on top of the crop (again, no pun intended). Melbourne is fortunate to have some very exciting emerging talent to back up its elite group and who will hopefully strongly challenge for a place among them by season's end. I'll look at the rest of the players on the list in the coming week.

Very good summary demonland on our prescription for success in 2007 :D

Perhaps prescription is an unfortunate choice of words vis-a-vis the current Eagles saga.

just interested as to what happened to picks 2 and 18 that we traded for whitey in 1997???

Draft selection 2 was flicked across to Richmond in a trade and the Tigers drafted Brad Ottens while draft selection 18 went to the Western Bulldogs who drafted Mark Alvey.

As if that wasn't enough, Ian Collins infamously decided a couple of years later when Melbourne was caught breaching the salary cap to compensate Fremantle further with the first round draft selection that Melbourne lost as part of its salary cap punishment.

And then a couple of years later when Melbourne lost Jeff Farmer to a salary cap breaching Fremantle, the AFL decided that it wouldn't compensate clubs like Melbourne although the circumstances were exactly the same as the White case.

Now go figure?

And now ... part two which is also featured in our News and Articles Section ...

SPECIAL FEATURE: THE RIGHT PRESCRIPTION (PART TWO) by Whispering Jack

Last week, I looked at the players I rate in the top ten at the Melbourne Football Club in terms of their importance towards achieving ultimate team success in the coming season. As with last year's ratings I have decided against rating the full list from first to last at this stage of the season on the basis that such a listing would be too tough on the blokes at the bottom end - especially those who I have barely seen in action.

The thing that makes me optimistic about Melbourne's prospects at this stage of the list's development is the number of youngsters who I can see pushing hard for a place in the elite top ten group. It is that fact more than anything else which reinforces in my mind that my optimism is not based merely on a "vibe" as it was last year but upon something far more concrete.

Here is my look at the rest of the list:-

Clint Bartram [19] 16.02.88 181cm 73 kg Geelong U18 Selection # 60 - 2005 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2006 Round 1 v Carlton.

Statistics: 22 games, 132 kicks, 85 marks, 115 handballs, 247 disposals, 6 goals, 1 behinds, 0 hit outs, 86 tackles, 12 frees for, 13 frees against.

The selection of Clint Bartram at number 60 in the 2005 National Draft, Clint is already seen as a remarkable piece of recruiting as the youngster went on to play all 22 home and away games. He earned himself an AFL NAB Rising Star nomination (finishing fourth overall) before he succumbed to a bad ankle injury in the final home and away game at AAMI Stadium. In his debut season, he was used mainly as a hard running, hard tackling tagger but he has shown in his brief comeback practice match appearances at Sandringham that he could be much more than that as his career develops.

Matthew Bate [6] 24.05.87 191cm 89 kg Eastern U18 Selection # 13 - 2004 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2006 Round 5 v Kangaroos.

Statistics: 14 games, 121 kicks, 77 marks, 100 handballs, 221 disposals, 8 goals, 5 behinds, 1 hit out, 38 tackles, 13 frees for, 12 frees against.

Another NAB AFL Rising Star Nomination in his first season of AFL football, Matty Bate was an impressive high possession winner utilised in many positions around the ground. This lad is genuinely exciting and he has the capacity to go a long way in his football career.

Daniel Bell [21] 13.04.85 186cm 88 kg Glenelg (SA) Selection # 14 - 2002 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2004 Round 15 v St. Kilda.

Statistics: 28 games, 177 kicks, 100 marks, 119 handballs, 296 disposals, 0 goals, 2 behinds, 1 hit out, 71 tackles, 17 frees for, 22 frees against.

Belly has been around a few years without securing a regular place in the side but his strong pre season and practice match form suggests that he's in for the long ride at the club as a pacy defender who tackles very, very hard.

Clint Bizzell [3] 28.06.76 188cm 89 kg (14 stone) Geelong Selection # 75 – 1995 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1996 Round 6 for Geelong v North Melbourne (75 games) 2001 Traded by Geelong for draft selections 17 and 41. MFC Debut 2002, Round 1 v Hawthorn (78 games).

Statistics: 153 games, 1,216 kicks, 649 marks, 779 handballs, 1,995 disposals, 79 goals, 62 behinds, 47 hit outs, 212 tackles, 128 frees for, 94 frees against.

On the comeback trail from a fractured leg that destroyed his 2006 season. The Biz is no longer the General of the backline and this is probably his last year but he will get his chances early in the season. At his age, it won't be an easy task for him to hold a place in the team but it will not be for lack of trying.

Jace Bode [43] 14.09.87 183cm 80 kg Sturt (SA) Selection # 9 - 2005 Rookie Draft

Had his share on injury and to date has struggled to impress.

Nathan Brown [25] 14.08.76 180cm 76 kg West Adelaide (SA) Selection # 66 - 1997 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1998 Round 4 v Carlton.

Statistics: 127 games, 1,350 kicks, 607 marks, 791 handballs, 2,141 disposals, 33 goals, 37 behinds, 2 hit out, 144 tackles, 70 frees for, 53 frees against.

The highlight of Nathan Brown's 2006 was his 28 possession semi final performance against Fremantle. Injuries kept his output down to just nine games and he will need to fight hard to hold a spot as a small defender against a growing field of younger players looking to fill this role.

Simon Buckley [1] 18.04.87 189cm 81 kg Sandringham U18 Selection # 53 - 2005 NAB AFL Draft.

Has shown great development in terms of body and maturity over the past year and will be pushing for selection with the Demons at some stage during this season.

Nathan Carroll [41] 20.10.80 191cm 91 kg Claremont (WA) Selection # 56 - 2003 Rookie Draft, 2003 rookie elevation (Melbourne) AFL Debut 2003 Round 4 v Geelong.

Statistics: 41 games, 277 kicks, 197 marks, 225 handballs, 502 disposals, 1 goals, 0 behind, 7 hit out, 66 tackles, 20 frees for, 22 frees against.

One of last year's big improvers, Carroll played every game and was under strong consideration by the pundits as an All Australian full back. He has gained so much in confidence and belief in himself and will be an important part of Melbourne's defence again this year.

Lynden Dunn [14] 14.05.87 192cm 93 kg Calder U18 Selection # 15 - 2004 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2006 Round 6 v Geelong

Statistics: 11 games, 70 kicks, 42 marks, 33 handballs, 103 disposals, 13 goals, 10 behinds, 6 hit outs, 13 tackles, 6 frees for, 3 frees against

Dunn had an excellent debut season with some impressive pinch hitting performances in the Demon forward line but his prospects for 2007 have been set back by the depressed cheekbone fracture suffered in a practice match at Sandringham. Has a bright future and could hold down a regular key forward position when he matures.

Ryan Ferguson [35] 29.09.81 195cm 91 kg Frankston Selection # 66 - 2002 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2003 Round 1 v Hawthorn.

Statistics: 39 games, 169 kicks, 118 marks, 142 handballs, 311 disposals, 4 goals, 1 behinds, 6 hit outs, 34 tackles, 29 frees for, 28 frees against.

Ferguson has had an injury interrupted career and 2006 was no exception. In round 2 he broke a rib and suffered a punctured a lung as a result of a friendly fire collision with Colin Sylvia at Telstra Dome. Then, when he finally made a return to the Demons late in the season, he injured a knee. He has courage to burn and is not so easily pushed aside as he was when he first came to the club, but there are still question marks about his ability to hold down a regular place in the teams defence.

Mark Jamar [40] 09.08.83 198cm 103 kg North Adelaide (SA) Selection # 6 – 2002 Rookie Draft, 2002 rookie elevation (Melbourne) AFL Debut 2003 Round 1 v Hawthorn.

Statistics: 42 games, 69 kicks, 73 marks, 122 handballs, 191 disposals, 13 goals, 3 behind, 409 hit outs, 41 tackles, 19 frees for, 23 frees against.

Melbourne's second ranked ruckman behind Jeff White, Jamar is expected to be given more game time again in 2007. Whilst his ruckwork is improving, he doesn't appear to have developed a capacity to impose his presence on games at this stage. Apart from the odd mark and goal during a game, he needs to be doing far more around the ground.

James Frawley [8] 20.09.88 193cm 79kg North Ballarat U18 Selection # 12 - 2006 NAB AFL Draft

The club's first round draft pick at # 12 has been impressive in the Nab Cup and Challenge matches but he has suffered an injury setback. The stress fractures to the foot will see a late start for this tall defender with pace to burn and he is expected to spend a fair slab of it with the Zebras.

Colin Garland [20] 28.04.88 191 cm 84 kg North Hobart Selection # 46 - 2006 NAB AFL Draft

A mobile key position player who had a sensational year rising through the ranks at North Hobart last year and will develop further at Sandringhham in 2007.

Simon Godfrey [30] 18.10.80 184cm 86 kg Box Hill 2000 Pre-Season Draft #14, AFL Debut 2000 Round 20 v Fremantle.

Statistics: 88 games, 606 kicks, 230 marks, 479 handballs, 1,085 disposals, 16 goals, 18 behinds, 21 hit out, 275 tackles, 67 frees for, 84 frees against.

Tough as nails, honest as the day is long but not as gifted in skills and athleticism as some of the others on the list.

Daniel Hayes [42] 13.7.1988 180cm 70kg Eastern U18 Selection # 12 - 2006 Rookie Draft.

A classy left footer with good evasive skills and a neat kick, Hayes is currently under suspension for failing to attend training. The problem is understood to be related to personal family issues.

Ben Holland [4] 10.05.77 198cm 100 kg Richmond Selection # 19 1994 National AFL Draft by Fitzroy (0 games) 1995 Traded by Fitzroy for selection #16 and #32 to Richmond, AFL Debut 1996 Round 3 with Richmond against the Brisbane Bears (125 games) 2003 Traded by Richmond for draft selection # 20 (Sam Butler) to Melbourne Debut with Melbourne 2004, Round 1 against Hawthorn (54 games).

Statistics: 179 games, 1121 kicks, 684 marks, 793 handballs, 1914 disposals, 164 goals, 99 behinds, 280 hit outs, 283 tackles, 140 frees for, 156 frees against.

Was used more in defence in 2006 which is where he made his name with the Tigers. The Demons will be hoping that he can take on the stronger bodied opposition talls but it's clear that there will be times when there is no match up in the backline for a player of his ilk.

Daniel Hughes [38] 10.12.86 186cm 82 kg Sandringham U18 Selection # 25 - 2005 Rookie Draft.

The young rookie has plenty of opposition for a place as a medium tall forward but showed at times in 2006 with Sandringham that he can be smart around goals. If he continues to improve this year, he might be able to secure a place on the club's senior list.

Nathan Jones [2] 20.01.88, 179cm 85 Dandenong U18 Selection # 12 - 2005 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2006 Round 17 v Western Bulldogs.

Statistics: 8 games, 64 kicks, 20 marks, 47 handballs, 111 disposals, 2 goals, 0 behind, 1 hit out, 25 tackles, 5 frees for, 7 frees against.

Melbourne's first round National Draft selection in 2005 had to wait most of the season for an AFL game but once he made it, he was very impressive gaining a NAB Rising Star nomination and some Brownlow votes. His strength and football nous has been evident in the pre season and he is challenging strongly for a permanent position in the Demon midfield.

Chris Johnson [17] 25.01.86 189cm 86 kg East Fremantle (WA) Selection # 36 (father-son) - 2003 NAB AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2005 Round 8 with Melbourne v Hawthorn.

Statistics: 13 games, 103 kicks, 59 marks, 46 handballs, 149 disposals, 0 goals, 2 behinds, 0 hit outs, 21 tackles, 4 frees for, 8 frees against.

Chris Johnson has played only 13 games in his three years at the club but he appears the player most likely to take the next big step at the club. He has good skills and is finally playing with the confidence of an established player and I expect him to move forward in leaps and bounds over 2007 and beyond.

Paul Johnson [11] 26.06.84 199cm 105 kg West Coast Selection # 24 - 2002 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2003 Round 5 with the West Coast Eagles against Fremantle (1 game) 2004 Traded by West Coast for draft selection # 29 (Matt Rosa), 2005 debut with Melbourne Round 7 against Adelaide.

Statistics: 11 games, 29 kicks, 13 marks, 24 handballs, 53 disposals, 2 goals, 1 behinds, 48 hit outs, 11 tackles, 1 frees for, 10 frees against.

After winning the 2005 Liston Trophy, the injury prone Johnson faced 2006 with great optimism but this was shattered when he dislocated his shoulder early in the season. He hasn't done anything to suggest over the preseason that he can take the next step but he has the size and the agility and will need to work hard at Sandringham and bide his time there before he gets another chance at AFL level. Neale Daniher has indicated that he is third in line in the club's rucking hierarchy at the present time but he might also challenge for a key forward role if the opportunity is presented.

Brad Miller [7] 06.07.83 194cm 96 kg Mount Gravatt (Queensland) Selection # 55 - 2001 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2002 Round 8 v Fremantle.

Statistics: 75 games, 411 kicks, 369 marks, 379 handballs, 790 disposals, 24 goals, 20 behinds, 31 hit outs, 88 tackles, 38 frees for, 47 frees against.

Miller had an indifferent season in 2006 and has fallen from grace in terms of his leadership position at the club as a result. He paid a heavy price for an indiscretion at Subiaco in midseason but came back at the same venue to be his team's best in the final against Fremantle.

The debate still rages as to whether he is better suited to defence or attack although, in my mind, he is of greater value up forward (except when the team plays the Swans because for some reason, he always beats Barry Hall).

Brent Moloney [22] 28.01.84 181cm 88 kg Geelong U18 Selection # 4 - 2003 Pre-Season Draft, AFL Debut 2003 Round 14 with Geelong against Port Adelaide (23 games) 2004 Traded by Geelong for draft selection12 (Danny Meyer – Richmond) 2005 Debut for Melbourne Round 1 against Essendon.

Statistics: 51 games, 525 kicks, 175 marks, 210 handballs, 735 disposals, 9 goals, 23 behinds, 1 hit out, 92 tackles, 25 frees for, 46 frees against.

Another player whose 2006 season suffered as a result of injury, Moloney's strength and long kicking into the forward line will be most welcome although hopefully, he will mix that up with some well placed short passing when appropriate.

Shane Neaves [39] 11.05.87 199cm 90 kg Calder U18 Selection # 39 - 2005 Rookie Draft

A tall big man who remains on the rookie list and is a long term development player who showed a few signs in the ruck at Sandringham last year.

Heath Neville [26] 02.02.88 186cm 83 kg Tasmania U18 Selection # 68 - 2005 NAB AFL Draft

Had a shocking run of injuries last year and, when he was fit to play, spent most of the year in the VFL reserves.

Michael Newton [29] 27.04.87 193cm 90 kg Whorouly.Murray U18 Selection # 43 - 2004 NAB AFL Draft

A very athletic and talented footballer whose first season at the club was marred by a back injury and his second was one of slow development going from the Sandy seniors to reserves where he finally took the competition’s top goal kicking honours. Has a touch of class but is on a slow development curve.

Ricky Petterd [15] 24.07.88 186 cm 76 kg Broadbeach Selection # 30 - 2006 NAB AFL Draft

Melbourne's second round selection at last year's National Draft, there are big wraps on this Under 18 All-Australian and winner of the Harrison Medal for Best and Fairest Division Two in the Under 18 National Championships.

Byron Pickett [33] 11.08.77 178cm 86 kg Port Adelaide Selection # 12 - 1996 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1997 Round 15 with North Melbourne v Geelong (120 games) 2002 Traded by North Melbourne for draft selections 13 and 31 2003 Debut for Port Adelaide Round 1 v West Coast (55 games) 2005 Traded by Port Adelaide for #28, #44 and #58 2006 Debut for Melbourne Round 1 v Carlton (20 games).

Statistics: 195 games, 1822 kicks, 642 marks, 675 handballs, 2497 disposals, 170 goals, 90 behinds, 33 hit out, 540 tackles, 177 frees for, 180 frees against.

Tough, solid and reliable in the clinches, Pickett was instrumental in giving the Demons a harder edge in 2006 and was at times simply inspirational. His form fell away badly however, after he was sidelined with a hamstring injury later in the season and he became largely ineffective. Has been under a fitness/injury cloud for most of the practice match series.

Russell Robertson [24] 24.11.78 187cm 93 kg Tassie U18 Selection # 68 - 1996 National AFL Draft, 1997 rookie elevation (Melbourne) AFL Debut 1997 Round 20 v West Coast.

Statistics: 190 games, 1620 kicks, 911 marks, 627 handballs, 2237 disposals, 337 goals, 231 behinds, 53 hit out, 201 tackles, 151 frees for, 136 frees against.

Carried a knee injury through most of the year and as a consequence was hot and cold with more emphasis on the cold part of the equation. Still managed 44 goals in what was considered a poor year so hopefully, with a fitter body, he will return to something like the form of 2005 when he won the club's best and fairest.

Daniel Ward [10] 09.07.77 185cm 84 kg Western U18. Fitzroy 1998 rookie elevation (Melbourne), AFL Debut 1998 Round 10 v Adelaide.

Statistics: 118 games, 1179 kicks, 448 marks, 686 handballs, 1865 disposals, 28 goals, 26 behinds, 6 hit outs, 266 tackles, 85 frees for, 100 frees against.

Had a very good season in 2006 when his career was at the crossroads. His pace off half back has helped him get by in the modern game but his disposal can be a problem at times.

Isaac Weetra 27.02.89 182 cm 78 kg Port Adelaide Magpies (SA) Selection # 62 - 2006 NAB AFL Draft.

A very fast, agile youngster who has a lot of development ahead of him and will be developed through the ranks at Sandringham.

Paul Wheatley [31] 12.04.81, 189cm 90 kg .Preston U18 Selection # 20 - 1999 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 2000 Round 2 v North Melbourne.

Statistics: 99 games, 850 kicks, 439 marks, 410 handballs, 1,260 disposals, 26 goals, 27 behinds, 13 hit out, 150 tackles, 38 frees for, 39 frees against.

Another player who was stricken with injury in 2006 after a strong showing the year before. This could be a make or break year for Wheaters but he should make the ton (in games played) at a reasonably early stage in the season.

Matthew Warnock [37] 03.04.84 192cm 92 kg Sandringham Selection # 26 - 2005 Rookie Draft, AFL Debut 2006 Round 3 v Adelaide.

Statistics: 2 games, 5 kicks, 4 marks, 5 handballs, 10 disposals, 0 goals, 0 behinds, 0 hit out, 4 tackles, 0 frees for, 1 frees against.

Managed two games coming off the rookie list last year after impressing with his pace and athleticism. Struggled after that and an injury in a Nab Challenge game at Mount Gambier affected his preparation for this season.

Adem Yze [13] 21.09.77 187cm 87 kg Murray U18 Selection # 16 - 1994 National AFL Draft, AFL Debut 1995 Round 13 v Richmond.

Statistics: 257 games, 3702 kicks, 1006 marks, 960 handballs, 4662 disposals, 225 goals, 179 behinds, 12 hit outs, 429 tackles, 159 frees for, 160 frees against.

It’s been a tough pre-season for Adem Yze. He looked good at training but has hardly impressed during the practice matches, which ended for him at Trevor Barker Oval in the unfamiliar Zebra gear. His 257 games puts him in the rarified atmosphere of the all time Demon greats and he's closing in on Jimmy Stynes' record of 225 on the trot but he’s under siege and must produce strong early performances and do so consistently.

Nice top 10, it's not easy, but I like your approach - who are the 10 most inportant if we are going to win the flag.

Mine:

1. Bruce

2. McLean

3. Neitz

4. Johnstone

5. Rivers

6. Carroll

7. McDonald

8. Pickett

9. Whelan

10. White

===

11. Green

12. Robertson

13. Jamar

14. Jones

15. Davey

16. Bartram

===

the rest

Nice top 10, it's not easy, but I like your approach - who are the 10 most inportant if we are going to win the flag.

Mine:

1. Bruce

2. McLean

3. Neitz

4. Johnstone

5. Rivers

6. Carroll

7. McDonald

8. Pickett

9. Whelan

10. White

===

11. Green

12. Robertson

13. Jamar

14. Jones

15. Davey

16. Bartram

===

the rest

Good list, but I'd have Davey sneaking around the top 10 mark. He's amazing goal kicking wizardry and run downs (most of the time) are invaluable to the side. He just needs to produce in September.

Also, when Davey missed his 2 games last year ( V Sydney and Carlton as well as Hawthorn NAB Cup this year) it just showed how impotent our foward line was. You realise his importance when he's not there.

No Yze??

Good list, but I'd have Davey sneaking around the top 10 mark. He's amazing goal kicking wizardry and run downs (most of the time) are invaluable to the side. He just needs to produce in September.

Also, when Davey missed his 2 games last year ( V Sydney and Carlton as well as Hawthorn NAB Cup this year) it just showed how impotent our foward line was. You realise his importance when he's not there.

No Yze??

You know I said we can't win the flag with all three of Yze, Robbo and Davey in the side, but if Neitz was out we may need all 3 to have any hope of kicking a winning score. I guess what that means is we can't win it without Neitz. If Davey fires in September he'll move into my top 10, same for Yze actually but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

No Yze??

I would agree with Old's comments. Davey needs to fire in September to be special. I think he can. I dont think Yze can.

BTW, I think we got beaten by Sydney and Cartlon by the performance of those who played not because of the missing Davey. However he might have given us something against Carlton. Sydney's game style is very September like and would be exactly the type of game Davey needs to perform in but has not.