Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

Guest the Sorcerer

Guest dee'viator

My team for round 1

B: Whelan Carroll Bell

HB: Bizzell Rivers C Johnson

C: Johnstone Green Bate

HF Bruce Miller Dunn

F: Robertson Neitz Davey

Ruck: White McLean McDonald

Int: Jamar Jones Brown Yze

Emerg: Frawley Ward Wheatley

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My team for round 1

HF Bruce Miller Dunn

Yeah ... happy with that!

Dunn lucky to get a spot on present form imho, also drop Brown for Moloney, Yze for Pickett and Paul Johnson to CHF instead of Miller

B: Whelan Carroll Bizzell

HB: Bell Rivers C Johnson

C: Bate Green Johnstone

HF: Dunn PJohnson Bruce

F: Davey Neitz Robertson

Inter: Jamar Pickett Moloney Jones

I'd still be very tempted to drop Dunn for someone like Frawley or even Ferguson, our height down back concerns me against the Saints, especially if Reiwoldt, Gehrig and Kosi play. I guess I'd wait to see how their injuries go before making that decision.

My team for round 1

HF Bruce Miller Dunn

That's not bad, but you need to look at our opposition.

For starters, Holland is a must. The Saints have 3 permanent talls, and will no doubt rest a ruckman up forward to stretch us. This is where Miller might have to be thrown down back.

Yze does not make my team, and whether you choose Brown or Ward the result will be the same. Ward gets the nod for his superior speed.

You also forgot Pickett and Moloney.

My side:

B: Whelan Carroll Holland

HF: Bruce Miller Pickett

Int: Jamar Jones Moloney Ward

Guest dee'viator
That's not bad, but you need to look at our opposition.

For starters, Holland is a must. The Saints have 3 permanent talls, and will no doubt rest a ruckman up forward to stretch us. This is where Miller might have to be thrown down back.

Yze does not make my team, and whether you choose Brown or Ward the result will be the same. Ward gets the nod for his superior speed.

You also forgot Pickett and Moloney.

My side:

HF: Bruce Miller Pickett

Int: Jamar Jones Moloney Ward

Pickett isn't fit enough yet, (at this stage) & i did forget Moloney who is also not fit enough as yet.

Pickett isn't fit enough yet, (at this stage) & i did forget Moloney who is also not fit enough as yet.

I promise you that barring injury this weekend, Moloney will most certainly play Round 1.

Pickett may not be 100% fit, but at least he is 100% committed, which is more than I can say for his likely forward flank replacement in Yze.

It will take Pickett about 3 or 4 fair-dinkum AFL matches to get back to his ideal playing weight (or near enough). Playing him is the only way to get him match fit.

I too would doubt whether Pickett, Moloney, and potentially McLean will have the fitness base for a round 1 team. I think the latter will probably play regardless, but the other 2 might have to prove themselves at Sandy first.

Holland should definitely be in as St. Kilda are so tall - but it's possible they might go for Ferguson. I'd go for Holland as he's just that much bigger. I think bizzell will be included as he offers some versatility btw being a tall and a mid-sized player in the backline

I think trav will start on the bench; he usually does. Until he can play 4 quarters as well as he plays 2-3 he'll never be more than a "very good" player. Hopefully 2007 is that year.

Dunn gets first crack at CHF. My personal belief is that Miller doesn't suit our game style that well any more, particularly not on the mcg. plus dunn can actually kicks goals.

Frawley will just miss a chance to debut, presuming the likes of pickett and moloney aren't fit to come up. he looked promising against Hawthorn, but Chris Johnson MUST play, and i think Yze will hold his position in the senior side (for now), so Chip just misses out.

Jamar will get first crack at the ruck tandem position, but I'd hope that the more mobile Paul Johnson can replace him before mid-year.

Ward over Brown for mine. Both spray the ball around, but Ward runs slightly faster and hits slightly harder.

B: Matthew Whelan (45) Nathan Carroll (41) Ben Holland (4)

HB: Daniel Bell (21) Jared Rivers (27) Clint Bizzell (3)

C: Nathan Jones (2) Brock McLean (5) Brad Green (18)

HF: Matthew Bate (6) Lynden Dunn (14) Chris Johnson (17)

F: Russell Robertson (24) David Neitz, Capt. (9) Aaron Davey (36)

Foll: Jeff White (34) Cameron Bruce (32) James McDonald (23)

I/C: Daniel Ward (10) Adem Yze (13) Travis Johnstone (16) Mark Jamar (40)

Emerg: Brad Miller (7) Chip Frawley (8) Ryan Ferguson (35)

B: Wheels Carroll Holland

HB: Brown Rivers Ward

C: Johnstone Bate McLean

HF: Robbo Pickett Dunn

F: Davey Neitz Green

R: White McDonald Bruce

IC: Jones Jamar Moloney C Johnson

B: Wheels Carroll Holland

HB: Brown Rivers Ward

C: Johnstone Bate McLean

HF: Robbo Pickett Dunn

F: Davey Neitz Green

R: White McDonald Bruce

IC: Jones Jamar Moloney C Johnson

Occo - Pickett as CHF??? Mate, you should check your brand of ciggies - or stay clear of the West End lager.

No disrespect to Deeviator, but we need something a little bit different. PJ for me at CHF. Otherwise, it is a bit of a re-hash of the past three years.

Biffinator.

Guest dee'viator
I promise you that barring injury this weekend, Moloney will most certainly play Round 1.

Pickett may not be 100% fit, but at least he is 100% committed, which is more than I can say for his likely forward flank replacement in Yze.

It will take Pickett about 3 or 4 fair-dinkum AFL matches to get back to his ideal playing weight (or near enough). Playing him is the only way to get him match fit.

If mfc agreed with you he would have played a whole match against the Tiges instead of bendigo.

Mfc won't end Yze's record without giving him a chance to redeem himself first, however I agree that his day is coming...

After reading reports on the Richmond game I wouldn't change the team that I posted last time, but Yze's form is a major concern his pre season form has been woeful for a player playing for his career. He is in my team on reputation alone a bad game against the Saints he will be at Sandy the following week.

Pickett is also a concern but his pre season was horrible last year as well and he turned it around I'm hoping for the same again. Miller is always a worry, but until Dunn steps up and can consistantly run out games then Miller should be first choice but only just.

Holland should play, the Saints have too many strong tall forwards.

Brown and Ward are a toss of the coin selection. I'm a big Browny fan he's a better runner than Ward so that's why I would choose him ahead of Ward.

I think Bizzell needs to play more 1 decent practice match for me to consider him, his pace is a major worry.

Moloney will probably need a few games at Sandy to get match fit before he is concided for the seniors.

HB: Brown Rivers Bell

C: Johnstone McLean Green

HF: Davey Miller Pickett

F: Robertson Neitz Yze

R: White Bruce McDonald

IC: Bate Jones C Johnson Jamar

EM: Ward Moloney Bizzell

Occo - Pickett as CHF??? Mate, you should check your brand of ciggies - or stay clear of the West End lager.

No disrespect to Deeviator, but we need something a little bit different. PJ for me at CHF. Otherwise, it is a bit of a re-hash of the past three years.

Biffinator.

So can Paul Johnson play CHF. Haha. It doesent matter the position but Pickett once played CHF and i think he would be ok

It will look like this:

F: Davey Neitz Robertson

HF: Bruce, Miller C Johnson

C: Johnstone McDonald Green

HB:Bell Rivers Ferguson

B: Whelan Carroll Ward

R: White McLean Jones

IC: Jamar Yze Molone, Bate

Ferguson gets the gig as 3rd tall defender over Holland

Yze beats out Pickett

Bate is a speculative selection in my eyes.

Coaching staff want Moloney in!

Wheels Carroll Holland

Bell Rivers Brown

Green McLean C. Johnson

Dunn Jamar Bruce

Robbo Neitz Davey

White Junior Jones

Johnstone Moloney Bate Yze

I think its time to start something different along the half fwd line.

Dunn will hope fully generate into a quality CHF/HFF and Bruce we know can play fwd. Jamar needs to add anothyer string to his bow nows his chance, Miller....hmmm....doesn't convince me at the moment. Can only have one of Ward or Brown in the team. Yze only just makes in the team, he is starting to give me the s@*ts. Picket probably wont be fit, if he is then he goes in ahead of Yze.

What a luxury to have so many possibilities- and then there is Bartram and Sylvia in round 4 or so. Exciting choices, barring the ever present fear of injury. It will of course mean that quite a few will have to fight for selection each week.

I guarantee Holland will play against the Saints- didn't he shut the G train down in the final. I also saw enough of the way Biz played to know he is well and truly on his way back!

I am not sure why Yze is getting all the negative vibes when Robbo also had a game to forget on Saturday. He had far less impact then Yze.

I too would doubt whether Pickett, Moloney, and potentially McLean will have the fitness base for a round 1 team. I think the latter will probably play regardless, but the other 2 might have to prove themselves at Sandy first.

Holland should definitely be in as St. Kilda are so tall - but it's possible they might go for Ferguson. I'd go for Holland as he's just that much bigger. I think bizzell will be included as he offers some versatility btw being a tall and a mid-sized player in the backline

I think trav will start on the bench; he usually does. Until he can play 4 quarters as well as he plays 2-3 he'll never be more than a "very good" player. Hopefully 2007 is that year.

Dunn gets first crack at CHF. My personal belief is that Miller doesn't suit our game style that well any more, particularly not on the mcg. plus dunn can actually kicks goals.

Frawley will just miss a chance to debut, presuming the likes of pickett and moloney aren't fit to come up. he looked promising against Hawthorn, but Chris Johnson MUST play, and i think Yze will hold his position in the senior side (for now), so Chip just misses out.

Jamar will get first crack at the ruck tandem position, but I'd hope that the more mobile Paul Johnson can replace him before mid-year.

Ward over Brown for mine. Both spray the ball around, but Ward runs slightly faster and hits slightly harder.

A pretty good selction DA.

This lineup willbe improved by the inclusion of Bartram, Pickett and Moloney when fit and then that's it.

This line IMO has the best of the young imprvers and surpsies from 2006, eg Jones, Dunn, Bate, Chris Johnson who didnt get much of a run last year but has seriously earned a spot through efferts in the pre-season and the old stager with experience in Bizzell - also earned a shot .

Yze's and Millers days are numbered, sadly, and based purely on the availability of others from now on. Any other approach than the above and we are marking time.

What a luxury to have so many possibilities- and then there is Bartram and Sylvia in round 4 or so. Exciting choices, barring the ever present fear of injury. It will of course mean that quite a few will have to fight for selection each week.

I guarantee Holland will play against the Saints- didn't he shut the G train down in the final. I also saw enough of the way Biz played to know he is well and truly on his way back!

I am not sure why Yze is getting all the negative vibes when Robbo also had a game to forget on Saturday. He had far less impact then Yze.

Holland lost to the G train because of speed but Carrol absolutly slaughtered him!! I love the memory of when carrol picked him up and droped him and he went off injured ohhh just heaven.

Melbourne have the trait of picking its usual side that they play instead of what will best suite the conditions. eg. Weather opoistions team etc.Hopefully this can be worn out in 2007

Really excited for Rd 1 which i could go! CARN THE DEES!!

This thread can be taken either two ways: You can either pick the side you would select for round 1, or try to pick the team that will be selected. Under normal circumstances these two shouldn't be too far apart, but the nature of AFL team selection (and especially the pressures associated with it) ensures that most coaches are unlikely to be too daring with their selections.

Hence why the calls for PJ to play CHF will not happen, because it is a massive punt (Might work, but more than likely to fail spectacularly). Its easy for us to call for it from the comfort of our computer chairs, but much harder for ND and Co to make that sort of call because they have 6-figure salaries, and 4 Premiership points, riding on their decisions.

Hence why, against popular opinion, Yze and Miller will both play. Holland will definitely play (and rightly so).

The team that I think will be selected:-

HB: Brown Rivers Bell

C: Green Bruce Jones

HF: Yze Miller C.Johnson

FF: Robertson Neitz Davey

R: White McDonald McLean

Int: Jamar Bate Ward Johnstone

Pickett and Moloney will be asked to prove match fitness for Sandy, Dunn will need to show some form. Bizzell stiff to miss out as well. Miller will be included as much for his ability to pinch hit in defence if they stretch us with height as his ability as a forward.

IMO our best 22 sees Yze, Brown, Ward and Miller out, to make way for Pickett, Moloney, Bartram and Dunn. If the opposition has no match-up for Holland, then swap him for Bizzell.

One of the most common sense posts I have ever seen! I totally agree with everything you say. Ideally, we'd like to see those five player swaps, but realistically we know its unlikely to happen. Keep that team handy mate, because I have a feeling it will be identical to the one picked for Round 1. The only thing that may be different is that Jones might start on the bench and Johnstone on the wing.

Great post.

Hence why the calls for PJ to play CHF will not happen, because it is a massive punt (Might work, but more than likely to fail spectacularly). Its easy for us to call for it from the comfort of our computer chairs, but much harder for ND and Co to make that sort of call because they have 6-figure salaries, and 4 Premiership points, riding on their decisions.

Hence why, against popular opinion, Yze and Miller will both play. Holland will definitely play (and rightly so).

Massive punt to play PJ at CHF?

Please tell me the last time Miller had a good game in that position? Picking Miller at CHF instead of PJ is a much more massive punt because Miller has failed spectacularly in the last two years and there has not been one shred of evidence that he has turned his form around this preseason.

and since when has pickett played CHF? name the game..

Port Adelaide v Kanagroos 2004

It's highly unlikely given his preparation thus far that Pickett will be picked for Rd 1. He hasn't got enough match fitness and still has a long way to go. I think Moloney will be picked and on preseason form Bell and CJ have cemented spots for Rd 1. It's unlikely that Fergs will be picked ahead of Holland. I wouldn't expect Frawley to play, but wouldn't discount Buckley completely, For me I'd have him in ahead of Ward. I know preseason matches aren't much to go on but I would think Dunn would have a greater claim to rd 1 selection than Miller.