Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sandringham Practice Match v Bendigo Bombers

The Sandringham Football Club begins their preseason this weekend against the Bendigo Bombers at Trevor Barker Oval.

Admission Prices

Adults: $5.00

Concession: $3.00

Visiting Members: $3.00

Thanks to the SFC for making available the following Team Lists for Sunday's games:

SENIORS - 11th March 2007 2.00pm

SANDRINGHAM

1. Ken Hall

3. Shane Valenti

4. Andrew Biddlecombe

6. Tom Mentiplay

7. Bryon Pickett

8. Rod Crowe

10. Heath Neville

14. Peter Summers

18. Rennie Gilchrist

19. Chris Lamb

21. Peter McGettigan

23. Marc Johnston

24. Ben Holland

27. Ricky Petterd

28. Michael Newton

29. Paul Johnson

30. Simon Godfrey

31. Nick Sautner

32. Ezra Poyas

34. Shane Neaves

35. Paul Wheatley

36. Tomi Johnston

37. Colin Garland

44. Sam Monaghan

47. Shane Tregear

BENDIGO BOMBERS

1. Simon Rosa

5. Hayden Skipworth

6. Josh Bowe

9. Nick Carter

10. Jason Cloke

12. Justin Maddern

14. Aaron Connaughton

16. Tim O’Keefe

18. Gavin Bowles

22. James Flaherty

24. Michael Dillon

31. Shannon Geary

33. Ben Jolley

34. Jay Neagle

37. Kyle Reimers

41. Danny Charters

42. Jarrod Atkinson

44. Lachlan McKinnon

46. Charlie Maher

49. Simon Plummer

50. Tim Plummer

71. Ben Dusher

RESERVES - 11th March 2007 11.15 am

SANDRINGHAM

2. Mark Gibb

11. Ewan McKenzie

12. Nick Tsindos

13. Jake Williams

15. Stefan Martin

16. Spencer Roberts

17. Daniel Born

22. Daniel Gribbin

25. Tom Mitchell

26. Daniel Turcarelli

38. Brett Liddell

39. Adam Martin

44. Stuart Cleeve

48. Phil Zarra

49. Domenic Dunne

50. Chris Richards

51. Tom Dean

53. Michael Curcio

55. Adrian Gileno

57. Tom Paule

60. Shane Jarvis

BENDIGO BOMBERS

23. James Climus

27. Michael Pilcher

28. Hiro Yuki Toyama

29. Hiroaki Seino

35. Johnny Coghlan

36. Adam Parkes

38. Daniel Anderson

39. Andrew Gladman

40. Pat Cummins

43. Daniel Manning

45. Jake Lloyd

47. James Marcessani

48. Stuart Crameri

51. Tyronne Downie

52. Nathan Meade

53. Ashley Humphrey

54. Kris Matheson

55. Chris Wilmott

56. Alistair Pike

57. Michael Harrington

58. Jarred James

59. Michael Leech

61. Shaun Young

Thanks Bazza. That makes 10 MFC players in the team:-

Colin Garland, Simon Godfrey, Ben Holland, Paul Johnson, Shane Neaves, Heath Neville, Michael Newton, Ricky Petterd, Byron Pickett, Paul Wheatley.

Holland and Pickett named in the senior game as well.

Some on the way up, others on the way down and a few whose careers are stagnating. All in all, Sandy looks strong again - maybe a 4 peat?

Guest dee'viator
Thanks Bazza. That makes 10 MFC players in the team:-

Colin Garland, Simon Godfrey, Ben Holland, Paul Johnson, Shane Neaves, Heath Neville, Michael Newton, Ricky Petterd, Byron Pickett, Paul Wheatley.

Holland and Pickett named in the senior game as well.

Some on the way up, others on the way down and a few whose careers are stagnating. All in all, Sandy looks strong again - maybe a 4 peat?

Also watch for Tomi Johnston, a likely type & Stefan Martin in the Ressies.

And watch for # 28 and # 29 in the Bomber Ressies. These guys have a yen to play good football.

Droll WJ. Very Droll.

Where's Daniel Hayes?

Good question.

This will be the first and last time Pickett ever plays for Sandy

It had better be the last (and second). Don't think it will be though.

Guest dee'viator
Also watch for Tomi Johnston, a likely type & Stefan Martin in the Ressies.

Tomi Johnston, a classy looking hard at it busy small;

Stefan Martin, must be 6'-8" CHF in the ressies

Ricky Petterd etc, etc

I've spent an enjoyable half of football in good company down at TBO but, because I'm building myself up for a big season (and also have a wedding to go to later today) I thought half a game would be enough for me.

Sandringham lead Bendigo at half time 8.6.54 to 7.6.48

The Bombers have been far more impressive - they have very few players from their Essendon list and yet seemed to be playing a more cohesive style of football, often leaving their Sandy opponents flat footed. However, they faded late in the second quarter which might indicate they're running out of juice.

Goalkickers to half time were Crowe 3, Poyas 2, Biddlecombe, Garland and anonymous 1 each (sorry I missed a goal - I'm lacking match practice).

Byron Pickett was fairly menacing and looked very hungry about getting a chance to force his way into the team for next week's practice match v Geelong. He terrified some of the Bombers and, at last count, had picked up 4 holding the ball decisions in his favour with ferocious tackles and he forced one or two Bombers to make other errors when near the ball.

Heath Neville - was just going. He was pick 62 in 2005 and had a lot of injury problems in 2006 so we can't expect too much at this stage I guess.

Ben Holland - loped around and did a few good things in the first half but nothing spectacular.

Ricky Petterd - showed a bit of class but will need time at Sandy.

Michael Newton - played on a wing and showed some nice foot skills. Apparently, he hasn't done much in the pre-season up till now but he showed out with some nice passages of play.

Paul Johnson - the # 1 ruck was having a good tussle with Lauchlan McKinnon of the Bombers. Johnson was good around the ground and took some nice overhead marks including one in a pack.

Simon Godfrey - hard as nails but disposal very ordinary.

Shane Neaves - not much ground time in the first half.

Paul Wheatley - apparently his first game for the year - looked a bit rusty but was getting into the game late in the second quarter.

Colin Garland - very impressive up forward, led and marked well and yes - he has an ordinary kicking style but it's effective.

The regular Sandy boys were also having troubles with the cobwebs and most were very much hot and cold. All except full forward Nick Sautner who was just very cold - he dropped about three easy chest marks and by half time hadn't been able to milk a single free kick for in the back. There's something wrong with the rules IMO.

Shane Valenti was the best Zebra by a mile and, although he's small in stature, I reckon it's an absolute shame that nobody took a punt and rookie listed him at the end of 2006.

Tomi Johnston tried hard in the packs but he's small - smaller and lighter than Valenti and will need to eat his Wheat Bix if he wants to play at a high level.

As it happens I only went down for the second half. So together we'll make one match report.

Sandy won by just under 5 goals, pretty much having the game in their controll the whole second half. The bombers would take solace with the form of one or two guys who played pretty well, but the Zebs were pretty much just too big and too experienced.

Byron's shape shows no signs of altering, but when he got on the end of it, he showed why he's above VFL standard. His kicking was sensational even into that horrible head-wind. He managed to drill it 50 metres down the throat of Summers on the lead. No-one kicked it like that all day. In the last quarter we finally saw signs that Davey has rubbed off on him with a sensational chase-down that unfortunately resulted in a free against for in the back. As soon as play resumed the bombers stuffed around with it, and he did exactly the same thing and got the free he deserved. It was pleasing to see him run that hard so late in the game, as it was also pleasing to see him play the full half, to go with what I assume was a full first half. Players had trouble getting a hold of him, despite the love handles. Perhaps they were worried he'd knock them unconscious. Even Trav Cloke and his Dad commented on how good he was (they were there watching Jason). I will say this though... As solid as he was, I'm not convinced he's the player he was at this time last year. I can't help but think the dash he showed early last year is a fair way off being there. His experience will always show out against kids in a game like this, but IMO he'll be exposed if he plays AFL. When he was on he was ON, but when he drifted out of the game I was worried. He's certainly weeks, maybe months from being the player I saw in round 4 last year. Fortunately round 4 is weeks, maybe months away.

Holland didn't look too bad. Was a bit clumsy at times, but was on the end of it very often, playing loose some of the time drilling accurate passes. He's still the same old Dutchy, but at this level, he seemed a cut above.

Newton had a dog of a second-half, but I was thrilled to see him going in pretty hard. He flew for a big pack mark at one stage that he missed, and that was among the more spectacular (but low percentage) things I saw all day. He was also putting his body on the line, and blowing pretty hard. He got crunched in an attempted tackle at one stage, and when I saw him on the deck twitching, I thought he was done for the day,. But he returned and still got touches. Not an overwhelming performance, but the effort was certainly there. Once again I was reminded that there's no lack of talent here, but he's certainly a ways off.

PJ is a HUGE man, but was somehow smaller than his opponent McKinnon, who I thought was Gumby for the longest time. While I was confused about his identity, I rated his performance. May be a player. PJ looked ok, but is simply NO ruckman. He slammed a tiny little Bomber at one stage who was taken off holding his shoulder. At least in one respect things are improving with Paul. He seems to look more comfortable with being such a big bloke, but I'd love to see him throw his weight around a bit more, and not against pip-squeaks. It was an entertaining tussle, but I'm looking for him to dominate at this level, as he has in the past (Liston). If I had to guess, I'd say he's still not completely fit. I have a feeling his pre-season was interrupted early on, perhaps more than we realise.

Godfrey just went. Didn't even look AFL standard, at least when I was there.

Garland pretty much only got in the way. Looked fairly overwhelmed, but that's ok. Gee he looks young up close.

Neaves didn't do much, but he didn't get much game time either.

Didn't get a good look at Petterd, Neville or Wheatley.

Of the Sandy players... they were, as WJ says, hot and cold. But Poyas is a gun at this level. Kicked 3 in the third to add to his other 2, one of them a ripper. Was a cut above with his kicking.

Garland pretty much only got in the way. Looked fairly overwhelmed, but that's ok. Gee he looks young up close.

Didn't get a good look at Petterd, Neville or Wheatley.

I thought Garland was actually pretty good. Not sure what you were watching. He presented and used the ball well. Seems to have a good football brain.

Petterd was very good. His second half was excellent. Puts his body on the line to win the ball. I liked what I saw.

Neville didn't do much, and Wheatley only played the first half and hardly saw it.

I thought Garland was actually pretty good. Not sure what you were watching. He presented and used the ball well. Seems to have a good football brain.

Petterd was very good. His second half was excellent. Puts his body on the line to win the ball. I liked what I saw.

Neville didn't do much, and Wheatley only played the first half and hardly saw it.

It's interesting what you see when you go to the footy.

It's the first time I've seen Garland and Petterd and from todays performance I'm very happy. Petterd started slowly but as the game wore on he just did things well. Not spectular, but good skills, good decision maker and clean. He got a fair bit of the ball in the second half. I don't know a lot of his history but I suspect it's his first game against men.

Garland had an excellent first half and a quieter second. Seems to have good awareness and much better kicking skills than I thought. Took some really strong pack marks in the first half and looked much more dangerous up forward than both Newton and Sautner.

When I look back and compare their games with the first games played by guys such as Bate, Jones, Molan, Bell and CJ they compare very favourably.

Neville was ordinary. I thought Holland was good. And Pickett just went although he has amazing awareness. He did run hard at times.

Newton had a very frustrating day. OK in the first half which he played on the wing but struggled up forward. Keep in mind that the conditions were terrible with an extremely strong wind down the ground which made it very hard for key forwards. I agree with DD that Newton tried his guts out and looked really disappointed and frustrated with the game. That's a positive from my point of view.

Petterd started slowly but as the game wore on he just did things well. Not spectular, but good skills, good decision maker and clean. He got a fair bit of the ball in the second half. I don't know a lot of his history but I suspect it's his first game against men.

I'm pretty sure that Petterd, in fact, played senior football back in Queensland and that he injured his hammy playing in a final up there. I still get your drift about him. I like the fact that he looked very balanced when going for the ball and he went straight at the ball too. I think we really have a footballer here but he might struggle to get an AFL gig in the short term.

Interesting. I'm still getting accustomed to the new faces (first time I've seen Petterd), and as for Garland, he was one I came to really spy on, and I'm satidfied with what I wrote about him above, albeit for only the second half.

It's the first time I've seen Garland and Petterd and from todays performance I'm very happy. Petterd started slowly but as the game wore on he just did things well.

Garland had an excellent first half and a quieter second.

When I look back and compare their games with the first games played by guys such as Bate, Jones, Molan, Bell and CJ they compare very favourably.

I'm certainly going to have a good look at Petterd next time. Didn't have any numbers with me and didn't know many new faces. I really had to look hard at Garland to be satisfied it was him, he looked so different from any photo I've seen. Like I said, he had a quiet second half, but as usual, I'm willing to take the word of those that saw the first, as I wasn't able to make it.

Fan, I like your last sentence there. Very sagely.

1. Ken Hall

Interesting name for Sandy, is this the Ken Hall that was listed by Essendon and played VFL with Tasmania?

Ken Hall is a very very very good footballer, if this is him, Sandy have picked up a VFL gun.

No, not the same one. This Ken Hall (full name Kenton Hall as dazzle wrote) has been around Zebraland for a few years and has played a handful of senior games.

For the record:-

Sandringham 13.21.99 defeated Bendigo 11.9.75

Goalkickers: Poyas 5 Crowe 3 Biddlecombe Garland Newton Petterd Summers

In the reserves Sandringham 12.16.88 defeated Bendigo 6.10.46

You can't take much away from the results. Bendigo didn't have many of their Essendon listed players available and they tired badly as the game wore on. Jason Cloke is with Bendigo this year and is playing the same role in defence that he had at Collingwood.

1. Ken Hall

Interesting name for Sandy, is this the Ken Hall that was listed by Essendon and played VFL with Tasmania?

Ken Hall is a very very very good footballer, if this is him, Sandy have picked up a VFL gun.

No, not the same one. This Ken Hall (full name Kenton Hall as dazzle wrote) has been around Zebraland for a few years and has played a handful of senior games.

You can't take much away from the results. Bendigo didn't have many of their Essendon listed players available and they tired badly as the game wore on. Jason Cloke is with Bendigo this year and is playing the same role in defence that he had at Collingwood.

I was very impressed in the first half by a more team orientated display than normal from Poyas, and the rewards flowed in the second for all the hard work, he is a very dangerous player and if teamplay is to be an extra dimension to his play this year then Sandy will be the winner.

Sandy kicked something like 1.13 for the final quarter it should have been a much, much greater winning margin.

One very learned follower (supposedly) has predicted (after watching the first quarter) that Sandy will finish last this year.

I was very impressed in the first half by a more team orientated display than normal from Poyas, and the rewards flowed in the second for all the hard work, he is a very dangerous player and if teamplay is to be an extra dimension to his play this year then Sandy will be the winner.

Sandy kicked something like 1.13 for the final quarter it should have been a much, much greater winning margin.

One very learned follower (supposedly) has predicted (after watching the first quarter) that Sandy will finish last this year.

Just to correct the record, that "very learned follower" actually made his prediction after watching the first ten minutes of the first quarter when the scores in the club's first fair dinkum practice match of the year were 0.1.1 to 2.1.13. The comment was in line with the depression of some posters at Melbourne's poor results against Hawthorn and Adelaide and was somewhat tongue in cheek. The exact words used at the time were "Sandy's season is over!". :lol:

And just for balance, the same "learned follower" made the comment ten minutes before half time that Bendigo had run themselves into the ground in the first half and would fade out in the second half.