Sign in to follow this  
Good Lord George

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JAY LOCKHART

2 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Why? We have Preuss and another ruck would take minutes off Bradtke 

Bradke will play as much ruck as the King twins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I love that we are giving the Casey guys a chance but another ruckman would have been nice.

Agree Clint. While I wish Jay all the best, I am very surprised we didn’t take another ruckman. 

We have 2 mature ruckmen and a kid, yet despite having plenty of mids, we take another small one.

The Hawks have McEvoy, Ceglar and Pittonet, yet still took another young ruckman, despite not having Mitchell. 

Would have thought our need was another mature ruckman as Insurance rather than another small mid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Agree Clint. While I wish Jay all the best, I am very surprised we didn’t take another ruckman. 

We have 2 mature ruckmen and a kid, yet despite having plenty of mids, we take another small one.

The Hawks have McEvoy, Ceglar and Pittonet, yet still took another young ruckman, despite not having Mitchell. 

Would have thought our need was another mature ruckman as Insurance rather than another small mid.

They also have Mitchell Lewis who is a 204cm forward/ruckman.

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Preuss will be back for rd 1 or 2.  Hardly panic stations 

Thanks fir clarifying D11 the bland statement of injured misrepresents that Pruess May miss R1 but be ok for Casey practice or R2 fir AFL, ie not long term!

55 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I thought Keilty showed enough to be an ok emergency third ruckman if it got to that point - The question is would any of the state league ruckman make any sort of difference if we had a ruck injury crisis.  The player most thought was the best mature age ruckman in the draft Darcy Fort has looked horrible for Geelong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

What’s the odds of Gawn and Preuss both being injured before the mid season draft? And if that does happen early enough that Keilty couldn’t do the job for a couple of weeks.

I’d like to add another 22 year old ruck who can be the 3rd option but I’m happy to risk that until mid year and longer if the big guys are both healthy.

We desperately lack outside run and skill. It was clear in both our JLT games. We needed a Hunt at both ends of the ground and he might not be good at either. 

With JKH, Garlett and Hannan all out and maybe Joel Smith as well run was a desperate need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

What’s the odds of Gawn and Preuss both being injured before the mid season draft? And if that does happen early enough that Keilty couldn’t do the job for a couple of weeks.

I’d like to add another 22 year old ruck who can be the 3rd option but I’m happy to risk that until mid year and longer if the big guys are both healthy.

We desperately lack outside run and skill. It was clear in both our JLT games. We needed a Hunt at both ends of the ground and he might not be good at either. 

With JKH, Garlett and Hannan all out and maybe Joel Smith as well run was a desperate need.

You realise that it was our last pick. We don’t have a pick mid season.

15 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Are you sure? I though teams could open up a list spot with a long term injury, and we already have one in Nietschke.

Would contending teams in Sydney and Hawthorn add long term tall prospects without the possibility of another mid season pick up?

1CCE9CB2-9987-40DE-94D6-DC5908A78828.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Good luck to him, though I would have preferred we used the spot trying to find a hidden Indigenous talent like Liam Jurrah.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

The reasoning for his selection is sound.  Mahoney has said that they wanted to add someone who knew the coaches, knew the structure, knew the expectations and so forth, and that makes sense to me.  Yeah, I can see the point of possibly selecting another ruckman, but clearly the club know what it is doing.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The reasoning for his selection is sound.  Mahoney has said that they wanted to add someone who knew the coaches, knew the structure, knew the expectations and so forth, and that makes sense to me.  Yeah, I can see the point of possibly selecting another ruckman, but clearly the club know what it is doing.

Exactly, and while I don't know the list situation at Casey, perhaps with Lockhart now a Melbourne rookie, it leaves space for them to pick up a "project" ruckman.....who was that one from Vermont who played in the game last week? 

Perhaps KC or Drunkn can fill us in?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ickey_11 said:

Bradke will play as much ruck as the King twins

I would hope so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

I think this is a lot to do with JKH's & Neitschke 's injuries.

If we had a ruck injury,  I reckon we may have gone for a tall.

I suspect this shows how close Lockhart was to us recruiting him.  And I like this . I think he has something special.  I hope he has the self-belief to take his game higher.

Edited by DV8

Lockhart showed enough to be close to AFL ready last year. With a preseason now he could be very handy as a backup for Jetta or a lockdown mid.  

Definitely shows we nearly drafted him last year. 

• Like 1

I agree that we are a ruck short but I’m guessing the Club looked at the options out there and decided that there wasn’t a player who could get good enough to play AFL this season if both Gawn and Pruess went down.

No point having an emergency ruck on the list if you can’t use him in an emergency. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Why? We have Preuss and another ruck would take minutes off Bradtke 

Because Bradtke may never even play a game of AFL.He is that far off AFL level that they have even asked if he can play U18s.Preuss is also pretty average & hate to say it but Gawn at some stage will cop an injury or 2

7 hours ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Because Bradtke may never even play a game of AFL.He is that far off AFL level that they have even asked if he can play U18s.Preuss is also pretty average & hate to say it but Gawn at some stage will cop an injury or 2

Can you show me a VFL ruckman we should have taken on who averaged more than Preusses 46 hit outs with 16 to advantage last year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not saying there is a better option at this time of year or that Jay Lockhart was a bad pick.I just think Preuss is very average & even North didnt want him.And Bradtke more than likely wont ever play an AFL game

I reckon i've noticed, just so far this season, an increased level of agility in Gawn, who looks at the moment to be just trying a few things out like surging to a contest and chasing. Maybe that's just a heightened level of fitness or extra effort put in, but it could be part of a program to make him much more mobile and defend against getting caught, trampled in the wash etc.

Good luck to the young fella,  great reward for effort. 

Agree with others re ruckman issue but i did like what I saw from DKeilty against Tiges. Very good leap on him. Whilst he's not someone you'd want rucking permanently I reckon he's a handy backup for a few weeks if and when required.

With the elevation of Lockhart to the MFC rookie list, it does leave open a further spot on Casey’s list. There’s a chance for a ruckman to be sourced for them with a view to the mid season draft should it become necessary.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Are you sure? I though teams could open up a list spot with a long term injury, and we already have one in Nietschke.

Would contending teams in Sydney and Hawthorn add long term tall prospects without the possibility of another mid season pick up?

1CCE9CB2-9987-40DE-94D6-DC5908A78828.jpeg

Now I am not sure. You could be right, we might be able to put Nieta on the LTI list and have another pick.

Edited by Redleg

14 hours ago, DV8 said:

I think this is a lot to do with JKH's & Neitschke 's injuries.

If we had a ruck injury,  I reckon we may have gone for a tall.

I suspect this shows how close Lockhart was to us recruiting him.  And I like this . I think he has something special.  I hope he has the self-belief to take his game higher.

Hope you are right.

3 hours ago, Demon from Sydney said:

And Bradtke more than likely wont ever play an AFL game

There is no real basis for that statement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

MFCSS would surely put that as 100% certainty :-(