Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Steven May Suspended for 1 Match

Demonland

37 minutes ago, dieter said:

It still begs the f.....g question: wtf was May supposed to do?????Look at it again in real time.

i agree. a collision was pretty well unavoidable. there was less than a second (second tops) from handball to collision. may was stationary and front on. berry was in motion. at that point may was vulnerable and had just enough time to turn defensively side on (keeping his elbow in and arm against body). by the laws of physics berry had tghe upperhand because he had motion and may didn't. again at that point berry if he was aware, which he wasn't) could have also turned side ways for a shoulder to shoulder collision where his motion would have been an advantage. at the very last may did push forward as anyone with any brains would have done, because he was standing motionless and he was not to know until the last nano-second that berry did not brace, but by then may was committed to his self protective stance.

so no, i don't concede may was guilty of carelessness. i contend the impact was inevitable and one player failed to take a defensive stance. this is not a criticism of berry, just explaining what happened

additionally from replays the ball at contact time was about 5m away so "in play"

additionally the impact to his chin was at the lower end. most of the impact was taken on the chest. to emphasise that check berry as he goes from vertical to on his back on the ground. At all times his head stays in straight line with his torso i.e. there was no backwards whiplash of his head with respect to his body/spine

so, collision realistically inevitable, not careless and impact to head low. I don't tink the defence did a very thorough job. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

May would eat Watts

And probably get rubbed out for it as well.

Mini-mouse would eat watts.

1 hour ago, dieter said:

It still begs the f.....g question: wtf was May supposed to do?????Look at it again in real time.

Hunch over,  Tuck in,  & go lower.  Keep away from the head. 

Apparently the tribunal think the throat is the head.   It is not.

6 hours ago, beelzebub said:

rubbish..if you pay very careful attention his right foot NEVER moves !!

Did he lean into the brace ? For sure..I would... Only a fool wouldnt.  Its what you might do if relative stationary against a someone moving into you

we're biased ???? pfffffffffft

That's nt the point Beel..

May had to move to the player, to block him from running on...  nothing wrong with that.   and that means he had momentum just to arrive into the players pathway.  thats fine.

and Yes May did start to elevate himself to avoid his own head contact.   I hope it was not to use the shoulder, but I think it was...  BUT there was NO head contact. No chin contact, only throat contact.

It was the solid contact to players chest, that sent him reeling backward and to the ground.

2 minutes ago, DV8 said:

That's nt the point Beel..

May had to move to the player, to block him from running on...  nothing wrong with that.   and that means he had momentum just to arrive into the players pathway.  thats fine.

a,,,,,,

May did not have momentum, dv8. Watch the video (carefully) on the mfc site. It is taken from behind berry as he approaches may. Berry moves very slightly to his right to deliver his hand ball, May, at that point takes a half step in same direction and props, so from the time of handball till collision he is motionless (ie no momentum). at the last nano second he does lean forward into the collision but his feet don't move forward. The only other movement he makes after the handball is to turn his body sidewards (from being front on) but that is not momentum

berry has all the advantage of momentum but fails to turn his body (presumably through lack of awareness)

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i agree. a collision was pretty well unavoidable. there was less than a second (second tops) from handball to collision. may was stationary and front on. berry was in motion. at that point may was vulnerable and had just enough time to turn defensively side on (keeping his elbow in and arm against body). by the laws of physics berry had tghe upperhand because he had motion and may didn't. again at that point berry if he was aware, which he wasn't) could have also turned side ways for a shoulder to shoulder collision where his motion would have been an advantage. at the very last may did push forward as anyone with any brains would have done, because he was standing motionless and he was not to know until the last nano-second that berry did not brace, but by then may was committed to his self protective stance.

so no, i don't concede may was guilty of carelessness. i contend the impact was inevitable and one player failed to take a defensive stance. this is not a criticism of berry, just explaining what happened

additionally from replays the ball at contact time was about 5m away so "in play"

additionally the impact to his chin was at the lower end. most of the impact was taken on the chest. to emphasise that check berry as he goes from vertical to on his back on the ground. At all times his head stays in straight line with his torso i.e. there was no backwards whiplash of his head with respect to his body/spine

so, collision realistically inevitable, not careless and impact to head low. I don't tink the defence did a very thorough job. 

How does that saying go? ‘Hit the nail on the head’.

I couldn’t explain it any better than that. 

• Like 1

The word around Fox Footy and the AFL, from what i heard, is that May was supposed to stay at The GC but he decided it might be better for his family and his future that he move to MFC. They felt as though they had every right to make an example of him and he was punished.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Again...the fix was in.

Look at the ridiculous citation.

Look at complicity of the Lions

Look at kangaroo court of AFL.

Think that's ridiculous... might I remind all of the lengths the AFL went to acquit Essendon.

The AFL is as corrupt as they come.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr.D said:

You call it a brace. it's a bump. May  knows that berry is running straight at him. once the ball is hand passed May moves to his left and leans back to his right to hit berry. What do you call the difference between leaning forward to brace and a bump?  it's the same thing. no-one is arguing it wasnt a bump except for you and some demons fans.

Of course it was a bump.  You cannot block a player without contact,  therefore a bump, a collision.   It is physical contact sport.  As we like it to be.  Not soccer..

There was no head high contact.   So do we report players for contacting the torso to vigorously, with the arms.

Maybe we should rename the tackle... lets call it a  'HUG'  in future...   and players can smile & wink at one another parting with a freindly pat on the rump to go with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

You can still bump despite not running into it. He had literally 1 step into the bump. maybe even half a step. it wasnt malicious but he chose to bump and got him high. 

this was an easy one for the mrp. 

What is your definition of the rule,  'high contact' ?

18 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

May did not have momentum, dv8. Watch the video (carefully) on the mfc site. It is taken from behind berry as he approaches may. Berry moves very slightly to his right to deliver his hand ball, May, at that point takes a half step in same direction and props, so from the time of handball till collision he is motionless (ie no momentum). at the last nano second he does lean forward into the collision but his feet don't move forward. The only other movement he makes after the handball is to turn his body sidewards (from being front on) but that is not momentum

berry has all the advantage of momentum but fails to turn his body (presumably through lack of awareness)

I studied the replay in slo-mo, over and over.   Even frame by frame from just before the point of contact, until after when the player starts to fall away from May.

May did move toward the player... maybe a half step to a step.  With no speed in his momentum...  but did twist his upper body aligning his shoulder to be the contact point. Of which his point of shoulder got the Lions player below the chin,  to the Adams-Apple area. 

Has the rule changed... does it not have to be contact to the head ?   to be outside the rules ?

• Angry 1

26 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

May, at that point takes a half step in same direction and props, so from the time of handball till collision he is motionless (ie no momentum)

This is the momentum I speak of.  Very little momentum, almost none.  Around walking pace momentum.  

The rest was the twist of his upper body, turning the shoulder in. He did get up on his toes.

24 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Again...the fix was in.

Look at the ridiculous citation.

Look at complicity of the Lions

Look at kangaroo court of AFL.

Think that's ridiculous... might I remind all of the lengths the AFL went to acquit Essendon.

The AFL is as corrupt as they come.

And Look at the lettuce leaf defence we offered up.   Not contesting the idea of head-high contact,  when clearly it was not...  it was close,  but it did not touch the head....

this makes me wonder if it was all said and done, before we appealed...  

Just like our friendly-cardinal case...  the verdict...  the secrecy...  the Catholic Papal speech announcing new responses to pedophile priests  -   prior to the the verdict announcement...  then the quitting of legal eagle...   then the penalty announcement...   all spread out for the media...  as a sham.

Only to go back again in future, for the appeal.

IMO it was all agreed upon in chambers,   after the initial guilty verdict...  which was kept secret from us all here.   It's all interesting timing from the delay before the charges...  to the announcement of charges...  to the court case...  to the final verdict of guilty...   the then the silenced verdict, for weeks...   as the Vatican makes its timely announcements against pedophile priests...  before we announced the guilty verdict...  and then finally the penalty.

Edited by DV8
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

I hope he is feeling gutted but most of all disappointed he has let the club down. A club that has spent big coin and a high draft pick to get him to our club.

It was always going to get reviewed. High impact was a tough call and I thought there was a 50-50 chance we would get it downgraded to low impact and a fine (note: there seems to be confusion - some seem to think we were arguing he was innocent. We accepted his guilt).

I understand people being frustrated with the system, particularly in regard to the inconsistencies. I share that frustration. Though I have laugh at suggestions it's somehow orchestrated by the AFL and the dees are victims of a conspiracy (if it was gws blah blah). I mean come on. 

But personally I'm [censored] off at may. None of the tribunal palaver comes into play if he engages his brain. It's of course not a hanging offence but we got him for precisely the sort of big forward line we come up against in round one. And it is a game of very small margins as the dees no full well. A loss might have huge ramifications.

I hope those that give him a pass for his stupidity don't bag omac if he gets out muscled by one of their bigs.

Exactly my thoughts. Irrespective of the outcome of the MRP/Tribunal, I am really disappointed that a player we gave up a lot for acted so stupidly in a meaningless game. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DV8 said:

This is the momentum I speak of.  Very little momentum, almost none.  Around walking pace momentum.  

The rest was the twist of his upper body, turning the shoulder in. He did get up on his toes.

well if it is "almost none" why bring it up, and that was not motion after the handball

if you want to talk momentum then it was all with berry

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well if it is "almost none" why bring it up, and that was not motion after the handball

Because of facts, he did move toward the players line, to block him.  fact.  But it was walking pace or less.   He did stretch up on his toes. fact.  But He Did NOT get the player to the head. ! The players head did not contact May at all.   The chest & throat did.

To me that is all that was needed...  unless the law has changed since I understood head high contact.?

Of course it was Berry's movement.   He did 85% of the moving forward.   Then 100% of the  moving backward and down.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

An aspect quite conveniently ignored/overlooked/disregarded by many.

It was May who was effectively charged...he just came off better.  But May is the transgressor ?? Ffs

May did incredibly well to contain his motion whilst protecting himself imho.

But the unwashed want to hang him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DV8 said:

And Look at the lettuce leaf defence we offered up.   Not contesting the idea of head-high contact,  when clearly it was not...  it was close,  but it did not touch the head....

this makes me wonder if it was all said and done, before we appealed...  

Just like our friendly-cardinal case...  the verdict...  the secrecy...  the Catholic Papal speech announcing new responses to pedophile priests  -   prior to the the verdict announcement...  then the quitting of legal eagle...   then the penalty announcement...   all spread out for the media...  as a sham.

Only to go back again in future, for the appeal.

IMO it was all agreed upon in chambers,   after the initial guilty verdict...  which was kept secret from us all here.   It's all interesting timing from the delay before the charges...  to the announcement of charges...  to the court case...  to the final verdict of guilty...   the then the silenced verdict, for weeks...   as the Vatican makes its timely announcements against pedophile priests...  before we announced the guilty verdict...  and then finally the penalty.

Christian and Catholic conspirators? ?

3 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Christian and Catholic conspirators? ?

I see what you did there ;)

44 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

An aspect quite conveniently ignored/overlooked/disregarded by many.

It was May who was effectively charged...he just came off better.  But May is the transgressor ?? Ffs

May did incredibly well to contain his motion whilst protecting himself imho.

But the unwashed want to hang him.

yes, his only sin was positioning himself maybe a few cm too high so he just clipped the chin (or neck, doesn't matter which as still above the shoulder) but the contact to that was minimal as described before.

so for that minor detail he should have got a reprimand and fine, methinks

if we are going to appeal next time then we need to go in with some big guns and a better rehearsed story 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I see what you did there ;)

I think since pell fell, he's been sent in with the Lions, as it were. by Rome.

I sense the publicly announced verdict, & then the penalty was delayed for others to get their houses in order...  I think chambers were very busy in that time.   And I sense this is why the lame excuse to quit. I was so angry.....    I reckon all the deals were done...   and the other court cases to follow were abandoned...  imo for the same reason...  a deal was done. 

I think Pell new his penalty deal,  weeks ago.

I truly hope that the appeal isn't an even better deal for Pell,  & his time behind steel bars.!

Edited by DV8

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yes, his only sin was positioning himself maybe a few cm too high so he just clipped the chin (or neck, doesn't matter which as still above the shoulder) but the contact to that was minimal as described before.

if we are going to appeal next time then we need to go in with some big guns and a better rehearsed story 

Yes

And mean it

I don't think we did this time...seemed half assed

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

... exactly, a fine should have suited this occasion.   so minimal the damage, and so great the punishment.  this could hurt us, end of season.

• Like 1

Just watched Rioli's "bump" on Oliver in 2016 again. It was described by the commentators as a "beauty" and they raved about how good it was to have him back after he kicked the goal. What HYPOCRITES they all are. To paraphrase George Orwell- All players are equal, but some players are more equal than others.

• Love 1
  • Angry 1