Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: JLT 02 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Is it true that Brissy played 3 extra players than us? Commentators are talking about Brisbane blokes coming on for the 2nd half only. Example, Lewis Taylor, who was full of run. If that is the case and the fact we lost 2 blokes from the game before half time, probably tells you why they were full of running in the 3rd. Perspective and actually knowing what we out to achieve from this game is all important

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t read all above posts so excuse me if mentioned before but I thought Steven May was fantastic in the last quarter and showed exactly why we chased him. I can’t wait to see him and Lever in the same backline. 

As an aside Neville Jetta is the best small defender in the comp...by a long way!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Is it true that Brissy played 3 extra players than us? Commentators are talking about Brisbane blokes coming on for the 2nd half only. Example, Lewis Taylor, who was full of run. If that is the case and the fact we lost 2 blokes from the game before half time, probably tells you why they were full of running in the 3rd. Perspective and actually knowing what we out to achieve from this game is all important

A Practice Match with teams using different numbers of players 

i wait for the Presser....

A lot of people wanting to put things into perspective from my readings....

...so here's my perspective.

We're not good enough to cruise through preseason games just yet...if these games are meant to tweak the game plan and fine tune for the first game then heaven help us.

That was a dogs breakfast.

No amount of perspective can change that.

• Like 6

We aren't as good enough team to coast through periods of a game and flick the switch when we feel like it (i.e. Richmond against the Hawks tonight).

We are good when we want to be, we just didn't seem to want it enough for long enough today. That and our injuries and the Lions ample fresh legs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

We aren't as good enough team to coast through periods of a game and flick the switch when we feel like it (i.e. Richmond against the Hawks tonight).

We are good when we want to be, we just didn't seem to want it enough for long enough today. That and our injuries and the Lions ample fresh legs.

I agree  'DD'.   This echoes old Melbourne, we have to break out of this, thinking we can just flick the switch and take off.   This is lazy type footy habits.

We have a game against Port in which we don't have any exposed good form going in, and then a BIG Game at the cattery in which THEY will be ready to unleash all they have on us.

IF we do not find form against Port, we could be in trouble visiting Geelong.

Potentaially we could drop the Rnds 1 & 2 games.    That would be a very bad start, in an ever more even competition.

I should add to these comments that I said something very similar during the pre-season last year, and look how that turned out.  I still think our ball-movement into the forward 50 is the worst in the competition and we score through weight of numbers rather than good play, but it can't be denied that we DID score more than any other team in the competition last year.  Imagine what our scorelines would be if we attacked in a competent fashion. 

6 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

That was pretty terrible. The result doesn't worry me, but the way we played does. To summarise:

• Our disposal was horrible all game. Even short chip passes under no pressure were off-target;
  • For a side that's  supposed to be all about contested football we were badly shown up in those areas;
  • We repeatedly saw players decline to give the obvious pass and go themselves, only to be caught;
  • Even when passes hit their mark, we fumbled;
  • We persist with pointless bombs to the hot spot;
  • Brisbane worked much harder;
  • Our tall forwards don't take contested marks. Theirs do;

On the bright side, AVB, Brayshaw and Oliver are loking ok and we didn't miss the easy set shots as we used to.

Also, JKH's injury looked nasty. 

• Like 1

It was JLT, a practice match. Basically a joint training session between two sides.

We had stars missing, injuries during the game & the Bears had 3 extra players. They are a young side trying to impress in March. I'm happy for us to leave that for September.

How many pre season games did Sydney win under Roos? One I believe. They were a handy side, right?

Dees by 60+ round 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rafiki said:

Smith, Petracca and Fritsch all played out the game so surely their injuries arn't too serious. Was particually impressed with Smith today with which I am hoping is a bad corky or something similar, showed a lot.

For someone who's only played 11 games he looked very promising yesterday.

8 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Also, can Petracca start nailing his shots on goal. Some of his pings are so hollywood and unrealistic. Needs to be more team focussed or actually work on his accuracy 

His ball drop is way too high.

• Like 1

I was pleased to see the coaching staff tried something different with Hunt. Pace is something we lack and if he can nail a role in the front half he could cause some headaches for opposition defenders. 

Weeds is also not a complete waste as a second ruck, his ruck work isn't world beating but he is improving and looking like an option for us if we decide not to play gawn and preuss in the same side.

Don't panic yet, our list is better than most lists in the comp.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

When will the Review Officer make a call on May, my understanding is we no longer wait, it gets reviewed today, is that right? 

Last week it came out just before the Monday game finished

I was a bit worried after the game yesterday at where we are at but after watching goodies presser I feel a lot better about it, as he said it’s all about getting the players cherry ripe for round 1 nothing else matters, was all about getting minutes into players and Brisbane will be hard to beat this year, I’m tempted to tip them in round 1 they have a healthy list at home against the eagles I think they are a big chance 

People need to stop hitting the panic button. Melbourne lost to the hawks by 70 in an official home and away match last season and our season turned out well. So a bit of perspective is needed.

We beat a pretty strongly fielded Collingwood team in the praccy, then lost to probably the best team in the afl with half of our team out and yday we lost by a goal despite not playing too well.

Joel Smith has shown great form. And the best part is that he is kicking straight. Must stay forward. 

Melksham, Viney, Jones are big losses and Hannans injury cant be understated. Hannan is a great player. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

People need to stop hitting the panic button. Melbourne lost to the hawks by 70 in an official home and away match last season and our season turned out well. So a bit of perspective is needed.

We beat a pretty strongly fielded Collingwood team in the praccy, then lost to probably the best team in the afl with half of our team out and yday we lost by a goal despite not playing too well.

Joel Smith has shown great form. And the best part is that he is kicking straight. Must stay forward. 

Melksham, Viney, Jones are big losses and Hannans injury cant be understated. Hannan is a great player. 

And WC lost to Freo 39-101 in JLT2 last year.  It looked like we treated the JLT like  training sessions.  As soon as we get our forward and mid pressure to the level needed we will be fine.  I’ll back that intensity to be back in round 1.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

No contact to the head.

May braces but doesn’t fully bring the arm up to lock the shoulder.

May is nearly stationary at collision as other player is running forward.

Umpires were there and no concern.

Mummy puts forearm into players face a week before and is fined. 

This not suspension worthy or IMO even reportable. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Very unstatisfying couple of JLT games. We couldn’t have been poorer. Not many appeared to try hard. Too many injuries. Too much heat. Not many positives gleaned. Leaves the crystal ball opaque. Better to have the rust to be cleaned on now than during the season though. 

May won't be lucky if he gets off as it's not reportable. 

Melbourne like the fact that May plays on the edge and won't be encouraging him to change.  If he cops a week here and there so be it.

It was a trial match and clearly there are things that need to be improved.  That's what you want from a trial match. 

I prefer a tough hit out like that game than the game Port had where North only had 20 odd tackles for the entire game.

Naturally, the usual nuffies will vent and carry on.  They know no other way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1