Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

Dee Zephyr

Aaron Davey/Maroochydore Training Camp

Recommended Posts

Great move by the MFC. I have often thought we needed a kicking coach and Davey had one of the best kicks in the league

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The headline of the article (not this thread) is a little misleading as the coaching stint is only for the training camp. 

Great to have Aaron back in the Red and Blue even if only for a short time. Love ex-Demons returning to the fold. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The headline of the article (not this thread) is a little misleading as the coaching stint is only for the training camp. 

Great to have Aaron back in the Red and Blue even if only for a short time. Love ex-Demons returning to the fold. 

This is an initiative being driven by Craig Jennings, Nev and Matty Whelan

They are trying to establish a pathway for Indigenous Coaches into the AFL, and not necessarily ex players

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Club is more and more becoming an off-field 'pace setter' for the entire competition.  I'm proud of that fact!

................. and on-field is quickly heading in the same direction.  Go Dees!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

This is an initiative being driven by Craig Jennings, Nev and Matty Whelan

They are trying to establish a pathway for Indigenous Coaches into the AFL, and not necessarily ex players

Why cant they use the same pathway as everyone else?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Why cant they use the same pathway as everyone else?

 

Yeah, I get a bit annoyed about whole separate streams of development and 'special programs' and the like in a lot of situations, but this is one where it makes sense. And importantly, has a sunset to it - once it succeeds in the goal of normalising the idea of Indigenous people being coaches, it'll wind down naturally.

In a professional community as small as AFL-level coaching, personal contacts make all the different. Because of the legacy of separation, because of the competing priority of supporting your community (e.g. Neville Jetta) and because many indigenous players emerge from comparatively remote places (the article notes "... trips to the Northern Territory, Cairns and regional Western Australia to target those who typically aren't exposed to leading coaching strategies "), the direct personal connections aren't going to be as strong. Plus, somehow still, there are little bits of creeping racism which can really stink up efforts at networking.

Networking is particularly vulnerable to pissy little low-key racist exclusion. All it takes is just a couple of soft-racist types to do some moaning about how "such-and-such is only getting an interview because we want to look politically correct" or "that guy is only at this event to make up the diversity numbers" and an Indigenous prospective coach is having their credibility and worthiness questioned by people who would otherwise not blink at giving them a chance. Even quite earnestly not-racist people can be influenced by the grumbling of someone they respect, particularly because the actual racial motive might be all but invisible, so to anyone listening it just sounds like a colleague making an honest observation.

So that's the lay of the land, but with the momentum for change now, through the likes of Davey and Whelan and Jetta, it really should just be a matter of time.

I'd understand if you still find it irritating, but at least take comfort knowing it is a temporary effort that'll just straight-out solve this particular problem in the long run.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But also, if Davey could get our entire team kicking the way he could, it would just be magical to watch. We could play the Blue Danube from the speakers all game and it wouldn't match the grace.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Yeah, I get a bit annoyed about whole separate streams of development and 'special programs' and the like in a lot of situations, but this is one where it makes sense. And importantly, has a sunset to it - once it succeeds in the goal of normalising the idea of Indigenous people being coaches, it'll wind down naturally.

In a professional community as small as AFL-level coaching, personal contacts make all the different. Because of the legacy of separation, because of the competing priority of supporting your community (e.g. Neville Jetta) and because many indigenous players emerge from comparatively remote places (the article notes "... trips to the Northern Territory, Cairns and regional Western Australia to target those who typically aren't exposed to leading coaching strategies "), the direct personal connections aren't going to be as strong. Plus, somehow still, there are little bits of creeping racism which can really stink up efforts at networking.

Networking is particularly vulnerable to pissy little low-key racist exclusion. All it takes is just a couple of soft-racist types to do some moaning about how "such-and-such is only getting an interview because we want to look politically correct" or "that guy is only at this event to make up the diversity numbers" and an Indigenous prospective coach is having their credibility and worthiness questioned by people who would otherwise not blink at giving them a chance. Even quite earnestly not-racist people can be influenced by the grumbling of someone they respect, particularly because the actual racial motive might be all but invisible, so to anyone listening it just sounds like a colleague making an honest observation.

So that's the lay of the land, but with the momentum for change now, through the likes of Davey and Whelan and Jetta, it really should just be a matter of time.

I'd understand if you still find it irritating, but at least take comfort knowing it is a temporary effort that'll just straight-out solve this particular problem in the long run.

What a great answer. Thanks for that.

I never thought for one moment that it WAS a problem, but you are correct. The AFL is certainly very incestuous clique.

I would love to see Whelen/Davey/Jetta coaching in the future (If they were good enough) 3 of my all time favourite players, and all seemed like really good blokes also.

Edited by faultydet
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faultydet said:

What a great answer. Thanks for that.

I never thought for one moment that it WAS a problem, but you are correct. The AFL is certainly very incestuous clique.

I would love to see Whelen/Davey/Jetta coaching in the future (If they were good enough) 3 of my all time favourite players, and all seemed like really good blokes also.

Whelan is a no for coaching, he is hapoy doing what he is doing, besides which not exactly of 'physical example' his words not mine, Nev will eventually coach methinks, already has his hand in with various academy teams

Craig Jennings is trying to create a pathway for Indigenous coaches, he is bemused that some of the talent he finds nationwide can't get a sniff

If you think there is no problem, Nev was racially villified by a prat in the stands only 2 seasons ago and Eddie Betts got it last year, it is the 'acceptance'of Indigenous coaches by supporters that has to be normalised for a start

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had some of the best players to ever set foot on the park who are indigenous.

Yet there has never been an indigenous head coach at AFL level.

Approx 10% of players are indigenous, we have 3 indigenous assistant coaches at present. 

Confused as to why people would see promotion of a pathway to develop indigenous coaches as an issue or be “annoyed” by it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

We have had some of the best players to ever set foot on the park who are indigenous.

Yet there has never been an indigenous head coach at AFL level.

 

Barry Cable and Polly Farmer both coached at AFL / VFL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 2 of the 3 clubs with Indigenous coaches have won the last 2 premierships. With Dan Rioli and Shane Edwards being vital for the Tigers, and a rejuvenated Lewis Jetta as well as Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli great for the Eagles.

Too small a sample size to say it's more than just a coincidence for now but I've been told too many times by smart people that the best way to get Indigenous people involved in any thing - health, public safety, land management, business - is to have it community run with other Indigenous leaders. They see and fix the challenges that people like me don't see or don't understand. 

Richmond and the Eagles might be ahead of the curve hiring coaches who understand players differently to the rest, not to mention coaches who understand the game in different ways. If Davey could teach a few of our small forwards to stalk and run down defenders that would be great, if he could teach our mids how to create angles and laser in kicks that would be even better!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great article and great outcome finally comming to fruition.

If I recall correctly, Flash was caught up in that whole clean slate effort that saw soo many of the experienced players at the club expunged.  Whilst I don't claim to have any insight into whether that clean out was really justified in order to create cultural change, what a lost opportunity in other respects.  In the following years, our kicking skills were lamentable and yet we had in Flash someone who was a great kick and that "was interested in becoming a development coach at an AFL club when his playing career ended but was unable to secure a job at the time." 

Great to see the club mending some fences and welcoming back some of it's greats of that era.  All the best to Flash in his coaching endeavors.  Seems like he came through the system the hard way as a player being overlooked intitally, before coming through as a rookie and now that he is doing it the same way as an aspiring coach.  Would be great if his coaching career can take off at some point and be as productive as his playing days became once he got himself into the system at the elite level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/23/2018 at 9:32 PM, Cards13 said:

We have had some of the best players to ever set foot on the park who are indigenous.

Yet there has never been an indigenous head coach at AFL level.

Approx 10% of players are indigenous, we have 3 indigenous assistant coaches at present. 

Confused as to why people would see promotion of a pathway to develop indigenous coaches as an issue or be “annoyed” by it.

Mark Williams

Edited by ManDee
May not be indigenous - see below

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon Nev Jetta has future coach written all over him. seems a great communicator and likes helping people get the best out of themselves, as witnessed by his contribution to many causes in the community. he's also got the grit. after some early challenges in his career, he's had to to pick himself up, dust himself off, work hard and rise up above the rest. he knows what it takes. he's a pretty impressive package is our Nev.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, rjay said:
 
 
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Mark Williams (born 13 April 1983) is an indigenous former Australian rules footballer who played with Hawthorn and Essendon in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was traded from the Hawks to the Bombers during the 2009 AFL trade week.
Edited by ManDee
Wrong Mark Williams -sorry
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ManDee said:
 
 
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Mark Williams (born 13 April 1983) is an indigenous former Australian rules footballer who played with Hawthorn and Essendon in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was traded from the Hawks to the Bombers during the 2009 AFL trade week.

Different person. Much younger. He was a very short full forward for Hawks who had a couple of excellent years and was then traded to Essendon where through injuries and loss of form he never had much of an impact. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Different person. Much younger. He was a very short full forward for Hawks who had a couple of excellent years and was then traded to Essendon where through injuries and loss of form he never had much of an impact. 

What a goose, I shall withdraw in disgrace.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was the "shooter" who pretended to shoot clay targets every time he kicked a goal. Pretty good player, bit of a [censored]!MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 5: Mark Williams #6 for the Hawks celebrates a goal during the round eleven AFL match between The Hawthorn Hawks and the The Essendon Bombers at the M.C.G. on June 5, 2004 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 8:38 AM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Great article and great outcome finally comming to fruition.

If I recall correctly, Flash was caught up in that whole clean slate effort that saw soo many of the experienced players at the club expunged.  Whilst I don't claim to have any insight into whether that clean out was really justified in order to create cultural change, what a lost opportunity in other respects.  In the following years, our kicking skills were lamentable and yet we had in Flash someone who was a great kick and that "was interested in becoming a development coach at an AFL club when his playing career ended but was unable to secure a job at the time." 

Great to see the club mending some fences and welcoming back some of it's greats of that era.  All the best to Flash in his coaching endeavors.  Seems like he came through the system the hard way as a player being overlooked intitally, before coming through as a rookie and now that he is doing it the same way as an aspiring coach.  Would be great if his coaching career can take off at some point and be as productive as his playing days became once he got himself into the system at the elite level.

It was worse than that. 

Can you recall the whole media contingent getting on the story that Neeld had allegedly made racist remarks about Flash? It was just another variable for the media d-heads to use against the club when we were already KO’d. 

I recall Flash placing an arm around Neeld in a show of camaraderie not long after it was all allegedly took place. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    If there was ever a prime example of a team of players not ready for the new Football season it was Melbourne in the opening round of 2019.   Throughout the field there was just too much evidence of players who haven’t had sufficient pre-season or players who ordinarily wouldn’t have even graced the field at this early stage.  The Demons also got a lesson on selection with Port Adelaide showing that 2 ruckmen on the field is an essential for this season.  It was a lesson that should have be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...