Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

Diamond_Jim

Foxtel Sports aka Kayo

Recommended Posts

Have been giving kayo a whirl for the past few weeks watching NCAA football. Foxtel has now been cancelled permanently. Highly recommend this service, it's simply incredible. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the Telstra tv box on our TV and used it for Foxtel now last year, worked fine. It has already downloaded the Kayo app automatically for use. Haven't checked it out yet but certainly will before the footy season starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 1:41 PM, Smokey said:

Have been giving kayo a whirl for the past few weeks watching NCAA football. Foxtel has now been cancelled permanently. Highly recommend this service, it's simply incredible. 

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have progressed from IQ3 to Foxtel Now and finally with Kayo.  

Value wise it simply cant be beat, I used it through the beta testing and they have constantly been improving the product and stability.  4K is an inevitability but makes complete sense that they are providing a product that most can use now.  Given the limited content available in 4K, it wasnt a consideration to me, but maybe it is for others.

The monopoly that Fox have on sports in Australia will continue to crumble and their only hope is to offer a sports streaming option that will eventually be competed with (similar to the US).

Given the two week trial and the lack of contracts, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.  Similar to Netflix you can get two screens (or users) for $25 and an additional for $35/month

FYI - I have FTTB via TPG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Thanks for the info mate, I'm on an nbn plan and speed sits around 18 - 20mbs depending on time of day. 

My nba league pass struggles sometimes so I'm a little concerned kayo may do the same but i guess i won't know til i sign up. I'm also waiting for the smart tv app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 6:04 AM, Matt Demon said:

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

I live rural near Bungendore in NSW and am forced to use satellite based NBN services. For the most part, it holds its own and only sometimes do I experience temporary drops in picture quality. I normally watch sport on my big iPad, so I can't speak to the quality of accessing the service over my connection via a browser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another update...

apparently kayo released a tweet in the last couple of days saying they were still working on the Android TV app.... (said they want to get it perfect... which makes sense.)

Most comments on the Whirlpool site are favourable. There are sound synchronisation issues with some devices seems to be the most prevalent complaint.

Still looking very good as an investment for the upcoming season.

Cheers from Bangladesh !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just started using Kayo & for whatever reason it was rubbish when running it through Google chrome. I then ran it through Microsoft edge and it works perfect. I've gone halves in a subscription with a mate, $12.50pm is incredible value for what you get.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used it via Telstra tv. It appears the app has already downloaded on the system but I haven't given it a try yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, loges said:

Has anyone used it via Telstra tv. It appears the app has already downloaded on the system but I haven't given it a try yet?

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

yeat, that

also, it's live - netflix is not 'live', it's just pulling down static video from servers

live video is a very different kettle of fish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

Thanks Foxtel Now worked fine last year so hopefully Telstra Tv will too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Thank you Mr DJ

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

Signed up the week it was released...

Cancelled my Foxtel subscription 2 days later...

Onward and upward!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

Thats a good deal. What's the card rate for all of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Thats a good deal. What's the card rate for all of that?

$65 (per my last bill). 

So they came down to $29 without HD and wanted an extra $10 for HD. I wasn’t paying the extra and they eventually caved in. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

Hey Diamond... can you advise on a mobile with sim only ISP......  that is good for live streaming.

 

I am over Telstra. and the inconsistent speeds...  even sometimes just trying to open pages...  and Optus have made big changes recently out here.

I'm looking to change, but want some decent speeds, and consistency.

I may be streaming for my first time...  via mobile or dongle?

 

 #edit:  buy the way have you been a DJ ?

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Normal Foxtel is dying anyway, this will save them.

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, A F said:

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

You might be right but Kayo like Netflix is a different product to Foxtel.

Foxtel required a physical boxto be delivered, long term contracts etc. It wasn't an impromptu purchase by any means.

On the other hand Netflix and the modern streaming apps are just click a few times on your phone and you're away.

Sorry DV8 I'm no expert on mobile sim plans but have a look at this section of Whirlpool.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

PS the closest I ever came to being a DJ was playing the Hot August Night album at full volume !!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    If there was ever a prime example of a team of players not ready for the new Football season it was Melbourne in the opening round of 2019.   Throughout the field there was just too much evidence of players who haven’t had sufficient pre-season or players who ordinarily wouldn’t have even graced the field at this early stage.  The Demons also got a lesson on selection with Port Adelaide showing that 2 ruckmen on the field is an essential for this season.  It was a lesson that should have be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...