• Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

AFLW: Pat McKenna signs on as Assistant Coach

Delisted Demon Pat McKenna has signed on as an assistant coach for the Demon's AFLW team.

Well this will go down as the strangest event of 2018. Not worth a list spot but now a coach of the girls???????

Edited by old dee
  • Haha 1

I like that Melbourne have given Pat a stepping stone for a new career given that he won’t make it as an AFL footballer or professional cricketer. 

There’s just one woman on the AFLW team’s coaching panel. Surely we could be more affirmative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Well this will go down as the strangest event of 2018. Not worth a list spot but now a coach of the girls???????

When he was sidelined with injury, he did a lot of work with Casey, alongside Stinnear, who he obviously impressed

Spoke to him a couple of times, great footy nous in someone so young

His body wouldn't behave as a player, door closes another opens

See Pat has been appointed as an Assistant Coach to the MFC Women's team.  So, clearly, he's sticking around the Club.  I must admit I thought it a tad strange that he was delisted after the Club had seen him through his long rehab.  I would have thought they'd have given him the chance of a fully fit pre-season.  Is he any chance of being re-drafted as a Rookie?  He's only 22.

Anyone know anything more about him and his situation?

58 minutes ago, Traja Dee said:

I like that Melbourne have given Pat a stepping stone for a new career given that he won’t make it as an AFL footballer or professional cricketer. 

There’s just one woman on the AFLW team’s coaching panel. Surely we could be more affirmative. 

The AFLW is in its infancy, there are very few female coaches at this level

Assume this will increase as some of the older players retire but there is a pathway that actually plays, for them to continue on as coaches

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

When he was sidelined with injury, he did a lot of work with Casey, alongside Stinnear, who he obviously impressed

Spoke to him a couple of times, great footy nous in someone so young

His body wouldn't behave as a player, door closes another opens

I hope he does well Saty just seems strange but then everything about the girls game is strange.

Line coaches in the AFLW already after a couple of seasons. 

The world has gone mad. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vagg said:

See Pat has been appointed as an Assistant Coach to the MFC Women's team.  So, clearly, he's sticking around the Club.  I must admit I thought it a tad strange that he was delisted after the Club had seen him through his long rehab.  I would have thought they'd have given him the chance of a fully fit pre-season.  Is he any chance of being re-drafted as a Rookie?  He's only 22.

Anyone know anything more about him and his situation?

It's interesting with the new rookie rules. Any injury plagued player that you can determine prior to the draft won't be physically able to play the next season, can be delisted with the option of 'sitting out' the year to get the body right, and then re-signed straight back onto the list the following year. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's now a realistic option.

Hell, we could sign LJ right now if we wanted to.

Kind of makes me wonder why Mitch Grigg, who is being talked about as a mature age draft pick, doesn't just sign for his club of choice now as a rookie.

6 hours ago, FireInTheBelly said:

It's interesting with the new rookie rules. Any injury plagued player that you can determine prior to the draft won't be physically able to play the next season, can be delisted with the option of 'sitting out' the year to get the body right, and then re-signed straight back onto the list the following year. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's now a realistic option.

Is that right?  Interesting.  Given Pat is only 22, you'd think he'd want to be keeping his options open.

5 hours ago, Vagg said:

Is that right?  Interesting.  Given Pat is only 22, you'd think he'd want to be keeping his options open.

Well technically any club could sign them, so if you wanted to do it you'd better make sure the player was dead set certain to stay. Perhaps offer him a coaching gig in the meantime..... That's just what I was thinking, may be way off.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, Traja Dee said:

The expectant Daisy is being used as an assistant coach for the 1st year women. There's an article on the AFL site about it. Love that she's developing her coaching skills this way, has a very good football brain.

• Like 1

I've offered myself freely on several occasions.

45 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I've offered myself freely on several occasions.

Perhaps too freely ! 

My guess is that there was a 3 way problem: 

your CV

your references

and critically, the police check. 

• Like 1