Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

AFLW: Pat McKenna signs on as Assistant Coach

Recommended Posts

Delisted Demon Pat McKenna has signed on as an assistant coach for the Demon's AFLW team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this will go down as the strangest event of 2018. Not worth a list spot but now a coach of the girls???????

Edited by old dee
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Melbourne have given Pat a stepping stone for a new career given that he won’t make it as an AFL footballer or professional cricketer. 

There’s just one woman on the AFLW team’s coaching panel. Surely we could be more affirmative. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old dee said:

Well this will go down as the strangest event of 2018. Not worth a list spot but now a coach of the girls???????

When he was sidelined with injury, he did a lot of work with Casey, alongside Stinnear, who he obviously impressed

Spoke to him a couple of times, great footy nous in someone so young

His body wouldn't behave as a player, door closes another opens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See Pat has been appointed as an Assistant Coach to the MFC Women's team.  So, clearly, he's sticking around the Club.  I must admit I thought it a tad strange that he was delisted after the Club had seen him through his long rehab.  I would have thought they'd have given him the chance of a fully fit pre-season.  Is he any chance of being re-drafted as a Rookie?  He's only 22.

Anyone know anything more about him and his situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Traja Dee said:

I like that Melbourne have given Pat a stepping stone for a new career given that he won’t make it as an AFL footballer or professional cricketer. 

There’s just one woman on the AFLW team’s coaching panel. Surely we could be more affirmative. 

The AFLW is in its infancy, there are very few female coaches at this level

Assume this will increase as some of the older players retire but there is a pathway that actually plays, for them to continue on as coaches

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

When he was sidelined with injury, he did a lot of work with Casey, alongside Stinnear, who he obviously impressed

Spoke to him a couple of times, great footy nous in someone so young

His body wouldn't behave as a player, door closes another opens

I hope he does well Saty just seems strange but then everything about the girls game is strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line coaches in the AFLW already after a couple of seasons. 

The world has gone mad. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vagg said:

See Pat has been appointed as an Assistant Coach to the MFC Women's team.  So, clearly, he's sticking around the Club.  I must admit I thought it a tad strange that he was delisted after the Club had seen him through his long rehab.  I would have thought they'd have given him the chance of a fully fit pre-season.  Is he any chance of being re-drafted as a Rookie?  He's only 22.

Anyone know anything more about him and his situation?

It's interesting with the new rookie rules. Any injury plagued player that you can determine prior to the draft won't be physically able to play the next season, can be delisted with the option of 'sitting out' the year to get the body right, and then re-signed straight back onto the list the following year. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's now a realistic option.

Hell, we could sign LJ right now if we wanted to.

Kind of makes me wonder why Mitch Grigg, who is being talked about as a mature age draft pick, doesn't just sign for his club of choice now as a rookie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FireInTheBelly said:

It's interesting with the new rookie rules. Any injury plagued player that you can determine prior to the draft won't be physically able to play the next season, can be delisted with the option of 'sitting out' the year to get the body right, and then re-signed straight back onto the list the following year. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's now a realistic option.

Is that right?  Interesting.  Given Pat is only 22, you'd think he'd want to be keeping his options open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vagg said:

Is that right?  Interesting.  Given Pat is only 22, you'd think he'd want to be keeping his options open.

Well technically any club could sign them, so if you wanted to do it you'd better make sure the player was dead set certain to stay. Perhaps offer him a coaching gig in the meantime..... That's just what I was thinking, may be way off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, Traja Dee said:

I like that Melbourne have given Pat a stepping stone for a new career given that he won’t make it as an AFL footballer or professional cricketer. 

There’s just one woman on the AFLW team’s coaching panel. Surely we could be more affirmative. 

The expectant Daisy is being used as an assistant coach for the 1st year women. There's an article on the AFL site about it. Love that she's developing her coaching skills this way, has a very good football brain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've offered myself freely on several occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I've offered myself freely on several occasions.

Perhaps too freely ! 

My guess is that there was a 3 way problem: 

your CV

your references

and critically, the police check. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×