Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



Sign in to follow this  
george_on_the_outer

Carlton Wikipedia

Recommended Posts

Must have been written by a Carlton supporter. Far to complimentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 9:36 AM, MT64 said:

MCG for most home games. Spare me.

The ONLY club that has true home games at the MCG is Melbourne.

Good to see the Carlscum supporters eating their own mafia babies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amusing. The spuds ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, My name is legion said:

The ONLY club that has true home games at the MCG is Melbourne.

Good to see the Carlscum supporters eating their own mafia babies.

Your right. It's OUR home ground. The rest are just tennants and those team supporters have trouble understanding that - especially the "filth".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love when ppl take the time to change wiki information, it’s hilarious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2018 at 7:37 AM, MT64 said:

Your right. It's OUR home ground. The rest are just tennants and those team supporters have trouble understanding that - especially the "filth".

Aren't we also a tenant?

My recollection is that the ground is "owned" by the State which has put a trust in place to be the ground manager with the MCC the major tenant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right but then my first thought is that if the MCC are the major tenant why do they pay for the upkeep and all major renovations of the ground? Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the trust then? As the MCC run the ground and the Melbourne Football Club are a club within the MCC umbrella then I believe the other teams are the real tenants. Would love someone to clarify the roll of the trust/MCC if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MT64 said:

You may be right but then my first thought is that if the MCC are the major tenant why do they pay for the upkeep and all major renovations of the ground? Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the trust then? As the MCC run the ground and the Melbourne Football Club are a club within the MCC umbrella then I believe the other teams are the real tenants. Would love someone to clarify the roll of the trust/MCC if possible.

Seeing as you asked, I've had a look at the enabling legislation.  I've summarised it so as to explain the relationships. This is a longish read but it may be of interest to some:

Summary of the Melbourne Cricket Ground’s management and control arrangements

Excerpt from the Preamble to the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 2009:

“By an Order in Council dated 9 December 1861 land known as the Melbourne Cricket Ground was permanently reserved as a metropolitan cricket ground.

By a Crown grant dated 17 June 1862 the Melbourne Cricket Ground was granted to the trustees of the Melbourne Cricket Ground upon trust that the Ground and the buildings on it be maintained and used as and for a place for playing cricket and for related conveniences.

Under the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933Land described in the Fifth Schedule to that Act and known as the ground was granted to the trustees of the Melbourne Cricket Ground upon trust that the Ground be maintained and used as and for a place for playing at cricket and for conveniences connected therewith and when not required for cricket for such other purposes not inconsistent with the foregoing as the trustees think fit and for no other purpose whatsoever.”

In 2009 the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933 was replaced with an updated law not surprisingly called the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 2009.

Key features of the new Act (for the purposes of this discussion):

·       The law establishes the Melbourne Cricket Ground Trust which is given responsibility to “manage, control and make improvements to” the MCG and surrounding land and to be the committee of management for the Yarra Park Reserve (hereafter just called Yarra Park)

·       The Melbourne Cricket Club “is entitled to occupy the Ground to the extent and in the manner enjoyed by it at the commencement of the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933 subject to certain conditions (such as not changing its constitution without the consent of the Trust and that it doesn’t persistently breach the Trust’s regulations, etc)

·       The Trust can call for tenders for the management of the whole of a part of the MCG

·       Notwithstanding the previous point, the Trust may appoint the Melbourne Cricket Club as Ground manager and while the MCC is Ground manager, the Trust can’t enter into a contract with anyone else to manage the Ground

·       While the MCC is the Ground manager, it receives and retains all entrance fees and revenues arising in the course of its management of the Ground (presumably this includes ground advertising). The agreement it has with the Trust to be Ground manager (see previous point) may mean that the MCC shares this revenue with the Trust

·       The Trust can delegate to the MCC any function or power that relates to the management, control, improvement or use of the Ground or to the Trust’s role as committee of management for Yarra Park;

·       similarly, the MCC, with the approval of the Trust, can delegate to any person (which presumably would include the Melbourne Football Club) any function or power which relates to the use of the ground or Yarra Park (this may be handy should the new facilities mooted for Yarra Park ever be built).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Seeing as you asked, I've had a look at the enabling legislation.  I've summarised it so as to explain the relationships. This is a longish read but it may be of interest to some:

Summary of the Melbourne Cricket Ground’s management and control arrangements

Excerpt from the Preamble to the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 2009:

“By an Order in Council dated 9 December 1861 land known as the Melbourne Cricket Ground was permanently reserved as a metropolitan cricket ground.

By a Crown grant dated 17 June 1862 the Melbourne Cricket Ground was granted to the trustees of the Melbourne Cricket Ground upon trust that the Ground and the buildings on it be maintained and used as and for a place for playing cricket and for related conveniences.

Under the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933Land described in the Fifth Schedule to that Act and known as the ground was granted to the trustees of the Melbourne Cricket Ground upon trust that the Ground be maintained and used as and for a place for playing at cricket and for conveniences connected therewith and when not required for cricket for such other purposes not inconsistent with the foregoing as the trustees think fit and for no other purpose whatsoever.”

In 2009 the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933 was replaced with an updated law not surprisingly called the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 2009.

Key features of the new Act (for the purposes of this discussion):

·       The law establishes the Melbourne Cricket Ground Trust which is given responsibility to “manage, control and make improvements to” the MCG and surrounding land and to be the committee of management for the Yarra Park Reserve (hereafter just called Yarra Park)

·       The Melbourne Cricket Club “is entitled to occupy the Ground to the extent and in the manner enjoyed by it at the commencement of the Melbourne Cricket Ground Act 1933 subject to certain conditions (such as not changing its constitution without the consent of the Trust and that it doesn’t persistently breach the Trust’s regulations, etc)

·       The Trust can call for tenders for the management of the whole of a part of the MCG

·       Notwithstanding the previous point, the Trust may appoint the Melbourne Cricket Club as Ground manager and while the MCC is Ground manager, the Trust can’t enter into a contract with anyone else to manage the Ground

·       While the MCC is the Ground manager, it receives and retains all entrance fees and revenues arising in the course of its management of the Ground (presumably this includes ground advertising). The agreement it has with the Trust to be Ground manager (see previous point) may mean that the MCC shares this revenue with the Trust

·       The Trust can delegate to the MCC any function or power that relates to the management, control, improvement or use of the Ground or to the Trust’s role as committee of management for Yarra Park;

·       similarly, the MCC, with the approval of the Trust, can delegate to any person (which presumably would include the Melbourne Football Club) any function or power which relates to the use of the ground or Yarra Park (this may be handy should the new facilities mooted for Yarra Park ever be built).

 

Well done and thank you for your efforts. Very interesting. Love the last sentence. I still read it as "our" home ground owing to the fact that we are a club within the MCC. Be right or wrong I still wind up Coll & Rich supporting friends as being "tenants".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Seeing as you asked, I've had a look at the enabling legislation.  I've summarised it so as to explain the relationships. This is a longish read but it may be of interest to some:

Summary of the Melbourne Cricket Ground’s management and control arrangements

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

just out of curiosity, is the punt road oval and its immediate surrounds part of yarra park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

just out of curiosity, is the punt road oval and its immediate surrounds part of yarra park?

Good question. Something else for me to research!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

just out of curiosity, is the punt road oval and its immediate surrounds part of yarra park?

The outside is definitely part of Yarra Park.

The oval and immediate environs as I understand it are the property of the RFC but I could not confirm that.

Here's an article from earlier this year where RFC talk of redevelopment of the oval surrounds. Needless to say if they could get a commercial development going the land would be worth a fortune. They talk in  the article of the land behind the goals in particular.

No way should they be allowed to touch the old stand.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-to-consider-all-options-for-upgrading-punt-road-oval-facilities-including-demolishing-jack-dyer-stand/news-story/bf5edb57c7ee4e9146c73506dd351173?nk=34fd14988ab099a0a18aab69e413ab5d-1540858399

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yarra Park Reserve is created through its own Act, called the Melbourne (Yarra Park) Land Act 1980. Because it's a 1980 Act it may as well have been written in Old English (which is my way of saying that it is harder to interpret for a non-lawyer like me than a modern piece of legislation). Within that Act, though, is the following provision:

22 Punt Road Oval Agreement

                (1)  Nothing in the amendments made to this Act by the 2009 Act is to be taken as having the effect of—

                         (a)  making the Trust a party to the Punt Road Oval Agreement; or

                         (b)  giving rise to any duty of the Trust or liability or other obligation on the Trust arising out of the Punt Road Oval Agreement.

                (2)  In this section, the Punt Road Oval Agreement means the Funding Agreement for the Redevelopment of Training, Administrative and Community Facilities at Punt Road Oval entered into between the State of Victoria, the Melbourne City Council, the Richmond Football Club, ABN 25 679 793 340, and the Australian Football League, ACN 004 155 211 on 29 June 2009 in respect of the land described in the Schedule.

The Schedule has a rather crude drawing of a roughly circular plot of land with Punt Road drawn on its right and Brunton Avenue below it which would seem to match with what we would expect would be the Punt Road Oval. 

So, I think that means the Punt Road Oval is within the Yarra Park Reserve but is managed by a separate arrangement allowed for by the legislation.

[PS: If there are any planning or land-use lawyers out there, feel free to correct any misconceptions I may have about this.]  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×