Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



deefella

Daniel Menzel

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, picket fence said:

Jahusses H Christ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

You left off the last O.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless he has major off-field issues we don't know about it is madness that Geelong are letting one of their best goal kickers go.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 11:31 PM, Adzman said:

I've seen witches hats stick more tackles than Menzel.....

 

Were you tripping on acid?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Menzel could compliment our forward line. He is a gun player, let others do the chasing & tackling. Let him kick 40 goals a year.

HF: Vandenberg     Weideman     Melksham

FF: Menzel     McDonald     Petracca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many tackles does Hawkins make in a year, in fact other than a select few their tackling was poor at Geelong since they let Chapman, Bartel and Ling go without replacing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, durango said:

How many tackles does Hawkins make in a year, in fact other than a select few their tackling was poor at Geelong since they let Chapman, Bartel and Ling go without replacing them.

That's their main problem. If Hawkins doesn't mark it, it's coming straight back out with little to no pressure.

If we want someone to kick 40+ goals a year and give inconsistent pressure, we already have them - Jeff Garlett. Garlett kicks 40+ a year every year if he is played. He's inconsistent and made a scape goat for lack of pressure at times, but he kicks 40+ guaranteed, which is more than most of our other forwards getting game. No need to bring in Menzel when we have Jeffy in the reserves who can already provide the same output if not better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put him through some training , if he cant tackle due to his knee injuries no way .

 

If he can and wants it Id take him he is more talented than most of our backups.

we needs some x factor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the Sun article he was instructed to play on the fat side of the ground giving him very little scope to tackle so he played the opportunistic football.  It also mentioned that 5 clubs were interested in his services and eliminated St Kilda and Brisbane.

I for one think he is a very good footballer but the recruiters and Goodwin have to make that decision not us.

Garlett has lost his way due to family problems?

If he could find his mojo back then he will regain his spot in the 22 and help us win the ultimate prize in the AFL. 

Edited by durango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have him ahead of Garlett by the length of the Flemington straight. If you can get him relatively cheaply, I'd throw a 2 year contract at him. Good depth. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, durango said:

 

Garlett has lost his way due to family problems?

If he could find his mojo back then he will regain his spot in the 22 and help us win the ultimate prize in the AFL. 

 

9 minutes ago, praha said:

I'd have him ahead of Garlett by the length of the Flemington straight. If you can get him relatively cheaply, I'd throw a 2 year contract at him. Good depth. 

 

It's not Garlett's spot he would be pushing for, he's not a small forward.

It would be Petracca, Vanders or Hannan's...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rjay said:

 

It's not Garlett's spot he would be pushing for, he's not a small forward.

It would be Petracca, Vanders or Hannan's...

Vanders and Hannan are in the team partly because of the spot left by Garlett. I'd be looking at Menzel purely as a depth option should one of the aforemention, ANB or Spargo aren't playing. Garlett is cooked imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, praha said:

Vanders and Hannan are in the team partly because of the spot left by Garlett. I'd be looking at Menzel purely as a depth option should one of the aforemention, ANB or Spargo aren't playing. Garlett is cooked imo.

I can't see us looking at Menzel.  AFL coaches know the major source of scoring by far is turnovers.  Any forward who doesn't apply forward 50 pressure and create turnovers is a liability.  Menzel has never showed anything defensively despite probably being roasted about it by Scott.  Not even a depth player.   Both Smiths would get a run in the forward line by Goody before Menzel.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, for mine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He killed us in Round 1 this year.  Could be a good back up for Milkshake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Go the Biff said:

Will be cheap. Has good skills. Only 27.

Worth a punt

Biff, I don't think its a punt.

Everybody knows what he brings and what he doesn't.

So its a clear decision, with his selection or non-selection based on one of those two features of his game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drdrake said:

He killed us in Round 1 this year.  Could be a good back up for Milkshake

i think the first 5 weeks was before he (re)injured himself which then affected his flexibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take him. Forwards are there to primarily kick goals and menzel is a far better goal kicker than petracca. He's kicked bags against in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I'd take him. Forwards are there to primarily kick goals and menzel is a far better goal kicker than petracca. He's kicked bags against in the past. 

Stressing 'in the past'

No no and no

5 hours ago, praha said:

Vanders and Hannan are in the team partly because of the spot left by Garlett. I'd be looking at Menzel purely as a depth option should one of the aforemention, ANB or Spargo aren't playing. Garlett is cooked imo.

Spargo is/was in Garlett's 'spot'

Garlett is certainly not cooked but knows what lays ahead of him to get his spot back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually keen now he's delisted, at least thow up a 1 year, possible 2 year with performance clause. 

We need to replace the goals that Hogan kicked.

Menzel averaged 2.1 per game last year and Jesse 2.4. Neade averaged 0.5

Yes he has a poor defensive game, but he offers plenty of upside

Maybe by having him on the list it may give Garlett a shove up the backside...?? Also gives Spargo/T. Smith more competition for his spot, which is always a good thing

At the least if we have him on low money he will be valuable to Casey and useful depth

Lastly, realistically, who else is there?? We have draft picks so can take a forward perhaps but they're not likely to contribute in any way for a few years, in which time Menzel will be gone anyway

Edited by TheCurseisBroken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is this potential upside that Menzel has? He was on a one year contract this year with Geelong and still didn't learn that defensive pressure is a non negotiable. You either accept what he brings (goal nouse no tackles) or you let him through to the keeper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't recruit a player for depth.

You recruit a person that you think will improve the team.

Defensive pressure is a non-negotiable.

Goodwin and his coaching staff have this on top of their non-negotiables.

It is one of the major reason for our success at the end of the season.

Menzel has not got this capability.

All the Geelong supporters that I know have apoplectic fits when talking about Menzel.

A leopard does not change its spots.

Its a bit like the negativity that Demon supporters had toward that fair headed chap who's name escapes me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hemingway said:

You don't recruit a player for depth.

You recruit a person that you think will improve the team.

Defensive pressure is a non-negotiable.

Goodwin and his coaching staff have this on top of their non-negotiables.

It is one of the major reason for our success at the end of the season.

Menzel has not got this capability.

All the Geelong supporters that I know have apoplectic fits when talking about Menzel.

A leopard does not change its spots.

Its a bit like the negativity that Demon supporters had toward that fair headed chap who's name escapes me.  

Sorry but some AFL coaches will disagree with this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do these threads exist?   This is madness 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×