Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



Demonland

2019 Leadership Group

Recommended Posts

Any changes going into 2019?

Current Leadership Group: Nathan Jones, Jack Viney, Max Gawn & Jordan Lewis. 

Steven May was Gold Coast Co-Captain. Does he get a look in? Someone else? Or leave it the way it is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put Lever in it. That guy ooozes leadership. I want him in.

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

Put Lever in it. That guy ooozes leadership. I want him in.

I've had the pleasure to listen him speak at a few functions since he has arrived and as you said he just oozes leadership. 

I was extremely impressed at the player sponsors function at the beginning of the season when he just came up to a small group of us and introduced himself and started chatting. 

In all my time going to functions with players in attendance not one player has ever done that. Having said that I don't expect players to do this but it was a nice surprise for a young player at his first official function. 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect Tom McDonald, Jetta and Lever to be under serious consideration.

I think they'll give May a year to just settle and not give him any leadership titles. Play your role and lead by your own standard. 

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the current structure with two joint captains and joint VCs.  We only moved to this smaller group earlier this year, and it would be silly to change it now imo. 

I'd love to see Max as joint captain with Jack, but I think it's unlikely to happen for 2019.  It might be seen as too disruptive, and unfair on Jonesy who led us well through the 'dark times' when we had no other 'real' leaders.  He has earned another year, I reckon. 

I think Lever will  probably be promoted for 2020, when I'd expect Lewis to step down.  A definite 'no' on May from me.  He needs to earn his stripes at Melbourne before being considered. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be averse to Lewis stepping down for Lever. Whether TMac gets in or not, I'm not sure. 

You'd think Jones has one more year but, if not, I'm with Dof above. Maxy is just such a good speaker and ambassador for the club. Would love him to pair up with Jack as co-captains.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahoney said May will be the General of the backline.   So it doesn't matter if he isn't in the 'official' Leadership Group.

Lynch isn't coveting Cotchin's captain role and I suspect May to have the same approach and probably quite happy to have that burden lifted and settle into our structures and our culture.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No change for 2019 but I do support the idea of Max being co-captain with Jack once Jones has stepped aside as his career enters its last couple of years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May will play better football without the responsibility of being the Captain I believe he will blossom without it since he wont feel the pressure of trying to do something special to lift the team. Teams rarely make Full Backs Captain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gawn (co-captain), Viney (co-captain), Jones (co-vice-captain), Jetta (co-vice-captain),Tom McDonald.

Apologies to Lever and May. I'd look at them coming in to the leadership group from 2020 onwards, probably at the expense of Jones (if he retires) or simply as an extension of the leadership group.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be a good idea, and a strong gesture were Jones to voluntarily step down as captain.

Could save embarrassment if he happened to be overtaken in the best on field 22 during the year.  (Casey found that out to their chagrin in the GF).

I suspect he is strong enough to recognise that succession planning is vital to ongoing success.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

I like the current structure with two joint captains and joint VCs.  We only moved to this smaller group earlier this year, and it would be silly to change it now imo. 

I'd love to see Max as joint captain with Jack, but I think it's unlikely to happen for 2019.  It might be seen as too disruptive, and unfair on Jonesy who led us well through the 'dark times' when we had no other 'real' leaders.  He has earned another year, I reckon. 

I think Lever will  probably be promoted for 2020, when I'd expect Lewis to step down.  A definite 'no' on May from me.  He needs to earn his stripes at Melbourne before being considered. 

See, I disagree with this mentality. If Jones is the leader we believe he is, he'll do what's best for the club as a whole and not his ego. Even if he wasn't a member of the leadership group, we'd still expect him to provide leadership. In the same way, I expect Lewis to provide leadership, without (potentially) being in next year's leadership group.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, A F said:

See, I disagree with this mentality. If Jones is the leader we believe he is, he'll do what's best for the club as a whole and not his ego. Even if he wasn't a member of the leadership group, we'd still expect him to provide leadership. In the same way, I expect Lewis to provide leadership, without (potentially) being in next year's leadership group.

Yeah, I can see your point of view Adam.  However, I don't really view it as being about Jonesy's ego, but more about recognising his stalwart leadership over an arduous journey for our Club.  If for some reason that's not in the best interests of the Club as a whole, then the sure, scenario obviously changes.

I agree 100% with your second sentence, and I have no doubt that both Jones and Lewis would do exactly that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So potential leadership candidates are

Jones

Viney

Gawn

TMc

Lewis

Lever

May and

Jetta

Thats almost half the starting side. It’s a nice situation to be in after being so bereft of any leaders not so long ago

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone give me the reasons as to why we all seem to be married to the idea of having co-captains? Any danger of us going back to a good old fashioned single skipper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave it the same for 2019.

2020 add Lever and May. Lewis will be gone end of 2019 and Jones can step aside from official leadership duties then also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Leave it the same for 2019.

2020 add Lever and May. Lewis will be gone end of 2019 and Jones can step aside from official leadership duties then also.

AFL 360 will be interesting viewing next year. We should get some insight into his intentions throughout the season.

I suspect Lewis will want at least another year after this contract ends - and, right now, he is in our best 22 (despite having an absolute shocker in the preliminary final, which was seemingly not due to lack of fitness, but due to playing like an inexperienced TAC Cup player - bizarre really).

I’m not writing off Lewis for 2020 just yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being in the leadership group doesnt mean you are not a leader around the club it just removes the formalities and the official functions and effort it takes. Neither Lewis of Jones should be in it as their number 1 priority for the team should be to focus on their individual performance. May needs to earn his leadership stripes with his new new peers. Jetta I feel is a natural leader but the tag is not important and I would prefer him to work in the background as well as continue all the marvellous work he does outside of the club.

Viney captain, supported by Gawn, Lever, T-Mac is enough from an official capacity for mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our playing leadership is in great shape with Viney, Jones, Lewis and Gawn holding official positions, and the likes of Jetta, TMac, Lever, May also likely to be on-field for a large percentage of time. And I am happy for any of these blokes to be in the official leadership group. It seems more about finding reasons for some of them NOT to be in the official leadership group.

Perhaps the other considerations for leadership are being focused on, the off-field stuff. 

The media loves the Jones story - playing for so long at a poor dysfunctional club, declining offers to join other clubs on a bigger salary, and leading the team onto the field for 2018 finals. His media work during the finals campaign was outstanding. The only other media performers we have are Gawn and Lewis. This was very, very good exposure for our club and sponsors.

Lever approaching fans at a club function - we supporters love that stuff. I had a long conversation with Nev Jetta at a Casey open day just after he had shoulder surgery. We chatted about life, the universe and football for about 15 minutes, and he seemed relaxed and comfortable doing it. 

Jack Trengove was known among the group for his work of caring for those injured or struggling with personal issues. No-one outside the inner sanctum sees this but he was chosen as captain by his peers and this was one of the main reasons.

My leadership group would be

Captains - Jack Viney & Nathan Jones

VC's - Max Gawn, Jake Lever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2018 at 4:07 PM, A F said:

Gawn (co-captain), Viney (co-captain), Jones (co-vice-captain), Jetta (co-vice-captain),Tom McDonald.

Apologies to Lever and May. I'd look at them coming in to the leadership group from 2020 onwards, probably at the expense of Jones (if he retires) or simply as an extension of the leadership group.

Gees Adam, that's a committee you're sending up to the dias on GF day to lift the cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Gees Adam, that's a committee you're sending up to the dias on GF day to lift the cup.

Haha, I'd just be sending Gawn and Viney up to lift that cup. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

The media loves the Jones story - playing for so long at a poor dysfunctional club, declining offers to join other clubs on a bigger salary, and leading the team onto the field for 2018 finals. His media work during the finals campaign was outstanding. The only other media performers we have are Gawn and Lewis. This was very, very good exposure for our club and sponsors.

Nathan Jones has some challenges in front of him in his final career phase adapting to a new role outside the primary centre square set but there's every reason to believe he will meet them  He's too good not to be best 22.

As you say, his media work is first class now and that's a real asset.  It takes time and effort and I think it's better all around for the team if he continues to take this load.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 9:24 PM, Smokey said:

Can anyone give me the reasons as to why we all seem to be married to the idea of having co-captains? Any danger of us going back to a good old fashioned single skipper?

we will right after 2019 when jones is no longer a walk up start and begins to phase out vince and soon to be lewis fashion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(C)

(VC)

(DVC)

is all that is needed. Keep the leadership titles lean, otherwise the whole system is diluted. 

Will never be a fan of dual captaincy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×