Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Reality bites at the Dome

Whispering_Jack

I couldn't make it down to the Dome today but have received some reports from the game. I'll leave it to those who attended to report in more detail but from what I've heard there was some reason for disappointment ahead of this week's NAB Cup opener.

For starters, Brock McLean missed the session with a quad injury (looks like he'll be out for two weeks) and Brent Moloney was nursing his groin. With Colin having a limited pre-season, it looks like a case of deja vu for three of the four horsemen at the Dome (at least Belly was on the job - he demolished Juice Newton). Paul Wheatley missed with some aparent injury and we know that TJ has a broken toe. The standard, as reported to me, was just so-so. But here were a few good rays of sunshine and hope coming through the open dome.

Nathan Jones was in sparkling form on the ball and Cameron Bruce was dominant. Matty Bate was very good and Lynden Dunn was impressive.

Ricky Petterd started well but after impressing early, appeared to injure a hamstring.

Brad Miller and Byron Pickett were both quiet. Jeff White ended with a blood nose while Mark Jamar was the pick of the ruckmen.

"Chip" Frawley had an interesting duel with Robbo, but the latter's experience told in the end. Simon Buckley showed good progress over last year's form.

Dennis Commetti was apparently centimetre perfect with his commentary even at this early stage of proceedings and the crowd was a bit less than for Sunday night's A League grand final due to the lack of publicity and general uncertainty as to whether the fans could get it at all (apparently 7's fault, not the MFC's).

Over to the guys who went.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Shane Neeves and PJ were good also, and Flash didnt play either.

Whealan was good along with Greeny.

Bryon didnt seem to do much, but inter clubs dont like them you cant go to hard, cause you do want to injure yourself or a teammate but in saying that cant take it to easy cause you want to get something out of them also.

Two interesting onlookers were Kevin Sheedy and Wayne Johnston

Brock McLean missed the session with a quad injury (looks like he'll be out for two weeks) and Brent Moloney was nursing his groin.

Dammit! It sounded like these two were having good pre-seasons, Moloney crawling back from his OP from last year and I hadn't heard any problems with Brock.

Good to hear that Jones was dominating though, i get the feeling he'll be getting huge run in the NAB cup. I hope Bruce can recapture the form that saw him Brownlow favourite in 2004, when he's that good he's just unstoppable.

I look forward to hearing more reports about today.

soft tissue injuries did u say.....Bohden strikes again it looks like

Does it really?

I remember against the Bulldogs we lost Byron Pickett and Aaron Davey in the space of an afternoon to hamstring injuries and then Travis did his before the next game against Carlton and BB wasn't at the club then. Hamstrings and soft tissue injuries happen even when the best of precautions are taken. You certainly can't blame the fitness coach without any evidence at all.

continuing from Whispering's post.....

we were speculating to Whispering when we mentioned a hammy to Petterd. He seemed to be walking ok, but had an ice pack under his shorts. He was actually very impressive in the first half.

As for Moloney, he played last week and might just have been rested. He had ice on his groin but who knows what that means in relation to his on going OP. Brock would be playing if it was round 1, but won't be pushed for the NAB.

Biz was also decent, and was better when on Garland.

Robbo took some time to shake Frawley off, but came good in the second half. There's plenty to like about Frawley though, with a very good fist. Robbo seemed to peel off him later in the piece when match fitness was getting to Frawley.

Jamar was good around the ground, getting more touches than usual. Combined nicely with the play.

Green and Bruce were a combo all over the ground. There's a lot of good reasons to get pumped about Bruce.

Neitz didn't get a sniff.

Byron started getting touches in the last quarter.

Dunn was very very good.

Miller was no where and had 3 touches.

Buckley was very good off the half back.

CJ was one of the better players.

MFC definitely emphasising the run and carry through the midfield. Players still adjusting to the plan. The 20 metre rule is also a confusing rule for players and umpires.

The umpires were fair today....They crucified both sides! :D

A couple of points on the players:

Buckley - there is a lot to like about the way he does his business

Jones - was good in the clinches and ran hard

Bizz - was smooth and assured today

Holland - kept Neitz quiet

Miller - just went and is "wooden" when the ball is below waist height

Frawley - tired late on Robbo but showed enough to impress. Good height good speed and his kicking isnt that bad.

Neitz - kept Holland quiet.

PJ - does some nice things but gee is he uncertain above the shoulders. This deficiency will kill his future unless he gets it fixed

Yze - just went like other "old" players

Dunn - the kid's got a lot of class and very capable when the ball hits the ground. Bit cavalier when going for the mark as he stuck up one hand on two occassions

Pettard - until injured, I thought he did some good things in traffic

CJ - ran hard, got grrerat balance, Love the way he can keep his feet in traffic. I think will be important this year

Green - polished as usual and gots lots of the ball

Bell - thrashed Newton and got better as the game went

Weetra - small frame will hinder the development of this prospect who shows a good awareness of the footy

Robbo- got better as the game went on and finished well

Newton - needs to get the ball at Sandy

Hayes- raw with some capability. One to watch

Pickett - motored along as Pickett does

Bruce- in this standard, Bruce oozes class and was given far too much latitude.

White - mildly effective until copping a blow to the face and went off.

Ward - some nice dashes and a 9 pointer too. Prominent

Neville - struggled on the day.

Neaves - moves well but still raw and a couple of years away.

Jamar - the Russian was the best of the big men and may carry the attack.

Carroll - fair game without anything flash

Whelan - solid but had some good duels with Weetra

Bate - yep went well and is a definite class act. Big things in 2007 expected.

Hughes - did some good things and is capable in the air for a smaller player. Got the better of Neville

We may take on Hawthorn with a few midfielders missing. To add to Jack's list Bartram and Davey were missing.

Telstra Dome was in unusual condition- Full of grass and no one slipped.

I went there at about 1 to see if they were warming down or something but of course so cigar. I looked through the gates and was very surprised to see a very nice looking ground though! :)

Acording to SEN it is facial bruising and does not mean he is out of the NAB Cup.

Posted it when Sen first report it, then later they spoke to Chris Fagan who said same thing you said and that he was sent to get some x-rays around his eye socket.

Does anyone know who the bloke was that was smashed going for a mark in his (blue ends) forward 50? He was wearing a #5 blue guernsey and showed great courage going for a Robbo kick that set him up to be pulverised. Looked nasty, but he got up straight away.

It was in the third quarter.

Does it really?

I remember against the Bulldogs we lost Byron Pickett and Aaron Davey in the space of an afternoon to hamstring injuries and then Travis did his before the next game against Carlton and BB wasn't at the club then. Hamstrings and soft tissue injuries happen even when the best of precautions are taken. You certainly can't blame the fitness coach without any evidence at all.

the evidence is from when he worked at other teams.....

Does anyone know who the bloke was that was smashed going for a mark in his (blue ends) forward 50? He was wearing a #5 blue guernsey and showed great courage going for a Robbo kick that set him up to be pulverised. Looked nasty, but he got up straight away.

It was in the third quarter.

It was a Sandy listed player I believe. There were a few Sandy players there to make up the numbers.

.......and whilst we're on the topic of top up players, I'd love to know who No.10 for the Light Blue team was. Played midfield and was one of the better players on the day. Slight frame, but worked the traffic beautifully. There was a whisper he might have been Wayne Jackson's son....

I'd love to know who No.10 for the Light Blue team was. Played midfield and was one of the better players on the day. Slight frame, but worked the traffic beautifully. There was a whisper he might have been Wayne Jackson's son....

Do you mean Wayne Johnston from Carlton cause, he was there watching along with Kevin Sheedy

the evidence is from when he worked at other teams.....

Demon2. Your original claim was "Bohden strikes again" so the fact that something happened when he worked at other teams is not evidence that this is a case of Bohden "striking again" at all.

As far as I'm aware, the only team where he was previously associated with a high number of soft tissue injuries was in his last year at Hawthorn. He has worked with the Australian basketballers, in other sports including of course athletics and with other football clubs and individual footballers and I'm not aware of any complaints.

There was no evidence from the time he was at Hawthorn however, that there was a correlation between BB's training methods and the incidence of groin and hamstring injuries. The injuries might have been co-incidental or they might have been a result of the entire training regimen as applied by the football coach who was also replaced at the end of the year. So let's not call what happened when he worked elsewhere "evidence". If we're making that allegation, I think we need to find a lot more proof than that.

I was also at the ground today and had the following impressions.

First of all to those that were there and expressed disappointment at the standard I can only say it was lucky you did not see the match simulations on the previous two Mondays at Moorabbin. Today was a clear step up in intensity and skills, due in part I'm sure to the still conditions at TD this morning.

I won't run through all the players. Brock, Sylvia, Travis, Bartram, Moloney, Wheatley and Davey didn't play. I think its wishful thinking to speculate Moloney was rested when all the senior players played. He's injured IMO.

One of my main disappointments was Newton. Bell pansed him today and when Newton did have opportunities he missed them. Newton should have really done well against Bell particularly in the air, but he didn't. Bell was good today but I reckon he is going to be one of those players who never completely eradicates the "silly error" from his game. But he is taking the first option more often and this will help. He was good today. Steady, sure and kicked well to position.

Bruce was tagged by Godders and it was not good for Godders. Bruce was on fire and did what he liked. He and Green, who was also excellent, waxed the ball and really looked classy.

I thought Jones was fair to good but not outstanding. Bate was the class "youth" on display but was rested for much of the game.

I thought Robbo gave Frawley a bit of a lesson. Frawley seemed to lose Robbo a bit. Having said that Frawley is a likely looking player and I'm very pleased to have him, but his form today was not as good as the previous two hit outs. One thing I really like about Frawley is the way he keeps his feet in the contest. He's very agile for a big bloke and has clean hands.

I love Ricky Petterd. He's just a class act IMO and I'll call him early as a 200 game player for us.

I also liked Garlands game. He made Rivers really accountable in the first half and had the better of him. His kicking needs a bit of work, but that will come.

Weetra is a WIP but moves well in traffic and played on Whelan. A tough gig for pick 62.

I also liked CJ game. His kicking is great, he keeps his feet well and I'm sure will have a chance in the NAB cup to stake a claim.

Dunn was very impressive. I thought he might struggle to continue his improvement this year but I reckon he's just improving nicely. Not a quantum leap that puts him in the "definite" selection category yet, but moving steadily towards that status. Staked a much stronger claim for CHF than Miller today.

I also really liked Brown Dogs game. Full of run. Must confess I don't know who he was on so he might have got hurt defensively a bit.

Happy to answer questions.

The game was played between a team in our Melbourne jumpers and a team in light blue jumpers.

Melbourne jumpers-

Jones, Bizzell, Miller, Neitz, Ward, P Johnson, Yze, C Johnson, Green, Bell, McDonald, Robertson, Rivers, Bruce, Jamar, Carroll, Whelan, Hughes and topups.

Light Blue jumpers-

Buckley, Holland, Bate, Frawley, Dunn, Petterd, Garland, Brown, Neville, Weetra, Newton, Godfrey, Pickett, White, Ferguson, Warnock, Neaves, Hayes and topups.

Some of the matchups

Buckley and Yze played on each other and both did some nice things.

Bizzell on Garland, Garland was good early but I don't think he played much after half time, Bizz was very good the second half.

Holland and Neitz didn't really see much of it. Neitz odd in the last and Dutchy cleaned up one of the smaller topups which resulted in a goal after advantage was called.

Bate and Jones were matched up for a while and both got plenty of it, I don't think Bate played much of the second half and Jones was on and off all game.

Rivers and Dunn, Dunn had the better of the battle IMO, kicked two (one was a 9 pointer I think after a 50).

Hayes and CJ, Cj played very well, Hayes had a little bit of trouble in the increased tempo, but I think that will come.

Doggy and Green, Greeny won the battle got some very good supply from The Bruce.

Frawley and Robbo, Frawley did some nice things but Robbo would have come out on top.

Neville and Hughes, Hughes has the ability to find space at will, and if used does very well, excellent mark for his size and uses it well. Neville did some nice things as well.

Whelan and Weetra, Weetra was very good early and Wheels was consistant all game without being dominating.

Godfrey and Bruce, Bruce was back to his elusive best and Godders hardly got a touch, but in his defence has had an interupted pre-season and when you rely on your stamina the Godders does that really hurts.

Warnock and Miller, Warnock was hardly sighted and Miller was disappointing.

Carroll and White, neither really stood out abd then White copped a heavy knock to the face and was taken off not to return.

Neaves and White Vs Jamar and P Johnson, Jamar was the best big man came off at halftime to rest for Sunday I would say, Neaves and Johnson were Ok.

Can't remember who Petterd was on in the first half but did some nice things didn't notice him in the third but walked to the 3/4 time huddle with what looked like a ice pack on his left hamstring.

AND just for you Fan

Bell and Newton, Newton didn't get a sniff and Belly was sensational, a couple of tackles where he pinned the loose arm to get free kicks were very good.

Did not play -

McLean, Sylvia, Johnstone, Bartram, Moloney, Wheatley, Davey and Bode.

The only positives regarding the injuries to Brock, Davey and TJ, is that they'll keep those key players away from harms-way during the NAB Cup.

I wasn't keen on seeing those players take the field, now they can't. As long as the injuries are minor, I think it might not be such a bad thing if they miss the pre-season competition. This applies to White too, serious facial injury or not.

Thank you everyone for the reports.

Really happy to hear good news about Belly! ;)