• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

12 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

From the afl website

Screenshot_20181019-093133_Chrome.jpg

It would have been a double blow for the pies, not only did we secure May but Hogan leaving makes Weids our primary FF and makes their job to lure him so much harder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This isn't hard.

Josh had a job to do. It had prescribed parameters, desired outcomes and a playing field with changing topopraphies and goal posts.

He kicked goals. We did ok.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 8:50 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Was not his best hour by any stretch.

Could we have done better. Probably not. 

So you’re saying he didn’t do his best, but he couldn’t have done any better. Right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t get people that wanted to keep him if we didn’t get x for him. 

I loved the bloke, but I never wanted him to stay once it was clear he wanted to go. Maybe I’m a [censored], but if there’s no commitment from them, see ya later. I don’t care who they are. 

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

I loved the bloke, but I never wanted him to stay once it was clear he wanted to go. Maybe I’m a [censored], but if there’s no commitment from them, see ya later. I don’t care who they are. 

Especially when he admitted that playing in front of friends and family was more important to him than success at this stage of his career. 

Sounds like something Watts would say. 

I've not been in an AFL environment but I'd be amazed if the best young talent at a club don't make a pact with each other to do stick together and win a flag. 

See ya buddy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

That’s how I felt too. Especially now, when it seems the inbound player in May comes across as not being able to wait to get in. There’s a lot you don’t see during the trade period itself, but the facts start to get flushed out after the dust settles. Keeping him was probably a less attractive option than I thought at the time.

I still don’t begrudge Hogan though. He couldn’t commit - fine, we swap him for a player who can. No sweat. 

• Like 6

Aside from Peter Bell everyone handled this really well and I am once again impressed with how Mahoney handles the exit of a previous ‘messiah’ with honesty (to a degree) and lack of fuss. 

The posters that would have said ‘no deal’ for 8 places in the draft displayed pointless pedantry that would achieved nothing but get in the way of short, medium, and long term planning of the list and the club.

Mahoney. Gets. [censored]. Done.

• Like 5

On 10/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, kallangurdemon said:

May is not more value to us than Hogan .  May is a solid defender.Hogan is player we could have built a premiership challenge around ,That opportunity is lost .

Bull [censored].

May fills a desperate need that we cannot win a flag without. KK and pick 23 are icing. Perfect trading for a bookend and cashing in on as guy who would rather play for a weak club.

Hogan is a quality player, dont get me wrong, but has serious game flaws (set shots, lack of defensive pressure, umpire dummy spits) which are better enjoyed elsewhere.

Going forward, I'd sooner put my faith in Tmac and Weid than continue to hold my breath every time Hogan goes near it.

The opportunity lost is in not doing this 12 months ago.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 10:30 PM, Smokey said:

So you’re saying he didn’t do his best, but he couldn’t have done any better. Right. 

He was played by Bell. And next time put in the fall post for context.

Pissant clubs think they have to win trades. Good clubs focus on what it leads to. Winning games. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Pissant clubs think they have to win trades. Good clubs focus on what it leads to. Winning games. 

That's about it.

4 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

thank god Mahoney was doing this and not some others !!

7 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Both parties got what they wanted. What’s the problem. 

The problem is we got two silver swap cards for a gold one.

8 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

He was played by Bell.

Not sure how anyone can tell whether we lost the trading until sometime in September 2019.

9 hours ago, mauriesy said:

The problem is we got two silver swap cards for a gold one.

But those two silvers give us a complete set that's worth a hell of a lot more. 

• Like 2

Hawthorn lost Buddy for pick 19 or thereabouts! I think after Buddy left the Hawks went onto three flags in a row. I’m not 100% sure if he played in the 2013 flag. Buddy was better than Hogan!

Our list management team keep strengthening the team. If someone wants to leave, make the best of it and that’s what we did.

I’m looking forward to the next five years after a very very good 2018 that beat my expectations in winning more than one final!

Go Demons!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

But those two silvers give us a complete set that's worth a hell of a lot more. 

That was my point.