• Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

No Massive Goalsquare in 2019

On 10/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Deeoldfart said:

Common sense prevails (which is an unusual thing to say about the AFL).

Maybe it was an ambit throw away claim. Somehow showing the AFL listen.  Weird in the 1st place. 

Out of step in my view.

And now a backward somersault, with Pike... geniuses.

OK...so what does the square actually do now?

On kick ins the kicker can run over the line and effectively play on.  Unless the ump immediately calls that the defender at the 20m mark cant move forward otherwise I presume thats a free kick ?

So what use is the square at all now...im unsure

On 10/11/2018 at 4:47 PM, daisycutter said:

the goal square just determines the play-on line. cross it, play-on

This makes perfect sense, it's not play-on until the kicker steps out of the square so he can't be tackled while in there.  He can still size up his options before he makes his move.  Presumably the umpire can call play-on if he takes too long.

The other point of the goal square is for forward marks taken in the square, the man on the mark is directly in front of goal, not on an angle.  This was brought in a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

This makes perfect sense, it's not play-on until the kicker steps out of the square so he can't be tackled while in there.  He can still size up his options before he makes his move.  Presumably the umpire can call play-on if he takes too long.

The other point of the goal square is for forward marks taken in the square, the man on the mark is directly in front of goal, not on an angle.  This was brought in a few years ago.

but surely  a play on must be called ?  if a kicker was tackled before that..would it not be a free ?  I just kinda see a murky area here

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

but surely  a play on must be called ?  if a kicker was tackled before that..would it not be a free ?  I just kinda see a murky area here

It's not that complicated.  Can't tackle them if they haven't stepped outside the square or until the umpire calls play-on because they've taken too long.

1 minute ago, Fifty-5 said:

It's not that complicated.  Can't tackle them if they haven't stepped outside the square or until the umpire calls play-on because they've taken too long.

is it implicit that they CAN tackle the sec they over step ? Im not aware 

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

Look I'm not saying this is the published rule but as @daisycutter suggested this would make complete sense.

2 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Look I'm not saying this is the published rule but as @daisycutter suggested this would make complete sense.

ah ...see this is where I tread with caution..... Complete Sense....and the AFL ...are not exactly bedfellows !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

I suspect so, but defenders would have to be able to move at the speed of light because they will be some way back from the end of the goal square (as happens now). So, unless the umpire has called play on, the defender won't be able to get near the kicker. Pretty much what happens now with the dinky little "kick-to-self".

34 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I suspect so, but defenders would have to be able to move at the speed of light because they will be some way back from the end of the goal square (as happens now). So, unless the umpire has called play on, the defender won't be able to get near the kicker. Pretty much what happens now with the dinky little "kick-to-self".

we know the opp player must be 10m back from the top of the square

but no mention is made of the protected area to the sides i.e. is it 10m clearance on all sides of the square or is there a virtual 10m straight line from boundary to boundary (like in nrl)?.....................this aspect was not made clear

the other aspect is how long are the opp players given to clear this no-go zone, esp as the full back can play-on as soon as the goal ump acknowledges a point?  also what if an opp player stays with his opponent player who stays in the no-go zone?

would hate to see more confusing (and unfair) 50m penalties applied

• Like 1

I reckon this rule change could produce some interesting plays.

Once the fullback leaves the goal square, I presume it is a normal play on situation. Does he then have to kick or can he handball? I just picture a play where another defender is positioned to sprint in to take a handball while the defender guarding the square is wrong footed. Possible?

3 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I reckon this rule change could produce some interesting plays.

Once the fullback leaves the goal square, I presume it is a normal play on situation. Does he then have to kick or can he handball? I just picture a play where another defender is positioned to sprint in to take a handball while the defender guarding the square is wrong footed. Possible?

yes handball allowed. normal play-on rules apply once he crosses the line

not sure if he can handball if he hasn't crossed the line and ump hasn't called play-on due to time taken, but i'm guessing yes 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daisycutter said:

we know the opp player must be 10m back from the top of the square

but no mention is made of the protected area to the sides i.e. is it 10m clearance on all sides of the square or is there a virtual 10m straight line from boundary to boundary (like in nrl)?.....................this aspect was not made clear

the other aspect is how long are the opp players given to clear this no-go zone, esp as the full back can play-on as soon as the goal ump acknowledges a point?  also what if an opp player stays with his opponent player who stays in the no-go zone?

would hate to see more confusing (and unfair) 50m penalties applied

It should be an arc at 20m. I know this is not exactly 10m from the side of the goal square but it's better than a straight line.

As you say there's bound to be times when opposition players are within this area when the kicker takes a quick kick in.  Great potential for confusion.

Who'd be an AFL umpire?