Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jeremy Finlayson

Redleg

196 cm key back at the Giants is apparently available, though contracted until 2020.

He has pace, good disposal skills and can take a grab.

He could play back or forward and gives us further options.

He would be far cheaper than May and is 4-5  years younger.

IMO should be looked at by us.

Giants are only going to accept a decent offer. They made him open to offers, so bascially whoever is the most desperate (Freo, GCS, Carlton) can offer early 2nd round picks and get him if GWS can't offload 2 of Scully, Lobbe or Shiel. 

As a player i don't know much about. I saw a GWS fan saying he needs to put on some muscle if he wants to be a proper one on one defender. Sounds a bit like Oscar with the bonus of pace like Frost.

i would love to know just how far over the cap gw$ are going into 2019

it would seem to be a significant amount given the players they're shopping

shiel wants $1.2m a year, lobb is on $750k a year...seems gw$ were happy to pay overs, presumably they thought they were losing kelly last year and cos they didn't it's come back to bite

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes if he was free

Giants will want a trade but I think we’re all ok for tall backs without paying for one

He is not just a tall back. He could play forward and even wing in a pinch.

IMO we only have one quick key back in the club and that is Frosty.

Of course he is not star and you wouldn't over pay for him, but they are obviously struggling with their salary cap.

If you had him IMO and Preuss, the target in our draft and trading would be purely speed and goal kicking ability type players.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

92kg, 196cm, 22 years old. Fast, can play forward or back. 

Avaliable from GWS, was tipped to go to north however they landed pittard instead.

A good option if we do not end up landing May. 

Very different player to May, wouldn't be a key back (at least not for a while), he has the height but plays more as a 3rd tall. Does have a very good kick and is capable forward, so wouldn't be against it, but he's no key back. 

3 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Very different player to May, wouldn't be a key back (at least not for a while), he has the height but plays more as a 3rd tall. Does have a very good kick and is capable forward, so wouldn't be against it, but he's no key back. 

Yeah he's different, but the more options we have, the more likely we will find a combination that works. As far as i know, there is no other powerful key defender on the market besides May.

I haven't watched him much, but from what i've read he is actually a good kick.

Also being 22, he could be a project player, rather than an instant best 22. 

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash

30 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Yeah he's different, but the more options we have, the more likely we will find a combination that works. As far as i know, there is no other powerful key defender on the market besides May.

I haven't watched him much, but from what i've read he is actually a good kick.

Also being 22, he could be a project player, rather than an instant best 22. 

I agree, he's not automatic best 22, but given he's flexibility he'd be more than handy. He could easily be one that's actually a better forward than back, but that's where he started. He should come cheap as it seems like another salary dump from the giants, so if we could pay a 3rd rounder he'd be worth it.

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

We need

1. 2nd ruck

2. a big bodied key back who won't be pushed out of the way

3. some outside run and class, either from midfield or half back.

Can't see Finlayson as these.

He's number 3. Lovely kick, wouldn't be that many better in the AFL.

The issue is he's not physical for a big man and at his size it's hard to be quick enough to defend smalls. So he becomes and oversized flanker.

I actually think wing would be his best position but I don't know if he has the tank, and I suspect we're bringing KK in for that role already.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

We need

1. 2nd ruck - Preuss

2. a big bodied key back who won't be pushed out of the way - May

3. some outside run and class, either from midfield or half back. - Kolodjashnij

Hopefully we can pull these off. Preuss and Kolodjashnij won't take too much prodding. If we could bring in May without losing Hogan it would be fantastic (we can all dream!)

34 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

We need

1. 2nd ruck

2. a big bodied key back who won't be pushed out of the way

3. some outside run and class, either from midfield or half back.

He is tall enough to become a key back, needs to get stronger. But is bigger than alex rance.

Also we have 10 spots on our list. So we need to bring in player outside those 3 needs. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

He is tall enough to become a key back, needs to get stronger. But is bigger than alex rance.

Also we have 10 spots on our list. So we need to bring in player outside those 3 needs. 

He plays much smaller though, and doesn't really have a burst to be able to stick on the key forwards. I do like him, but he's a tall back flanker or potential 3rd forward. His ball use is very good, in fact (wait for the outrage), he reminds me of Jack Watts when he went back a few years back, not sure if he's as good forward as Jack could be though.

• Like 1

He could well turn into a good player. He has some nice attributes: reads the ball well, is calm under pressure and good mobility for his size. But he's a bit too prone to turn it over by foot for me. Not really any better than Oscar at this stage. Has more mobility than Oscar, but Oscar would have him by foot. 

13 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

He plays much smaller though, and doesn't really have a burst to be able to stick on the key forwards. I do like him, but he's a tall back flanker or potential 3rd forward. His ball use is very good, in fact (wait for the outrage), he reminds me of Jack Watts when he went back a few years back, not sure if he's as good forward as Jack could be though.

I think he does probably play smaller, but that can change. One of his apparent attributes are his athleticism, so not sure where you getting the slow turn of foot from.

8 minutes ago, A F said:

He could well turn into a good player. He has some nice attributes: reads the ball well, is calm under pressure and good mobility for his size. But he's a bit too prone to turn it over by foot for me. Not really any better than Oscar at this stage. Has more mobility than Oscar, but Oscar would have him by foot. 

According to articles and his bio's he is a really nice kick... it's meant to be his best attribute.

This kid is good, GWS signed him for another 2 years, but they don't have the cap space. They are leaking players to stay within the cap and the rest of the league has a chance to benefit. If we can get him for a 4th or 5th round pick it would be a massive win. Only downside would be how much he is on, we wouldn't want him eating up too much of our cap space.

33 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

According to articles and his bio's he is a really nice kick... it's meant to be his best attribute.

This kid is good, GWS signed him for another 2 years, but they don't have the cap space. They are leaking players to stay within the cap and the rest of the league has a chance to benefit. If we can get him for a 4th or 5th round pick it would be a massive win. Only downside would be how much he is on, we wouldn't want him eating up too much of our cap space.

That's exactly what I'd previously read and so watched him this year and found he turned it over. It may well be that thing where you focus on a certain trait and then highlight any mistake made. Who knows.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.