Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Tinks

The Harley Bennell Thread

Recommended Posts

Apparently great friends with Harley Balic - No, no, no!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SFebes said:

Absolutely NO. The positive is, Freo are clearing up cap space.

Geelong will take him so he can be with his mentor Gazza.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drdrake said:

Colin Sylvia would give him a good run for that title, maybe he was the decade before Bennell

Yeah, Col was somewhat of a waste (waste of high draft pick, spot on a list, waste of free agency by Freo), but I Bennell had way more tallent to start with.  Bernie Vince was the best thing to come from the Col Silvia saga.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Apparently great friends with Harley Balic - No, no, no!

The club wouldn't be that stupid. He's a ticking time bomb, no dedication to his craft, rather sink copious amounts of beverages and wizz fizz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would love to take the punt on him. We make freo pay half of his already small contract, so as we don't end up losing cap space.

He is prodigious talent obviously, 90+ goals in 70-something games, plus 26 brownlow votes. At his best, or 75% his best he is the perfect player for us, quick skilful winger. 

The thing i like about it is that we have the culture that can:

a) potentially turn him around. We have Neville, probably the most respected indigenous leader in the AFL, and also we may have steven May, who is also indigenous and an AFL captain. The indigenous boys clearly share a close bond, and these two leaders are the best Bennell could possibly get. Furthermore, our other leaders of Jones, Viney, Lewis and Gawn have created a very good culture. 

b) If he does F up after we get him, our culture would not be damaged as we have too many good people in the club. We can just say "thank you for trying harley, head back home" as soon as he steps out of line. 

100% worth the punt IMO, will cost nothing (picks or salary cap), with potential huge up side. 

+ we have so many open spots on our list

 

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Not sure he would necessarily clear up cap space, having signed a new contract a month ago.

It certainly would ....... May may be stretching that already. 

I reckon he'd be on $200k-$300k, they need every cent, clear statement he's on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Geelong will take him so he can be with his mentor Gazza.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lol.

Was Gaza really a mentor to any of the players at Gold Coast?  

Star player at the start of his time there, but a pretty average choice of captain and off feild leader I think I'd say in retrospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I would love to take the punt on him. We make freo pay half of his already small contract, so as we don't end up losing cap space.

He is prodigious talent obviously, 90+ goals in 70-something games, plus 26 brownlow votes. At his best, or 75% his best he is the perfect player for us, quick skilful winger. 

The thing i like about it is that we have the culture that can:

a) potentially turn him around. We have Neville, probably the most respected indigenous leader in the AFL, and also we may have steven May, who is also indigenous and an AFL captain. The indigenous boys clearly share a close bond, and these two leaders are the best Bennell could possibly get. Furthermore, our other leaders of Jones, Viney, Lewis and Gawn have created a very good culture. 

b) If he does F up after we get him, our culture would not be damaged as we have too many good people in the club. We can just say "thank you for trying harley, head back home" as soon as he steps out of line. 

100% worth the punt IMO, will cost nothing (picks or salary cap), with potential huge up side. 

+ we have so many open spots on our list

 

I like the sentiment, but I recon that's what Freo would have thought.  I think he's run out of any credits at AFL clubs these days.  For Bennell to redeem himself, I recon he would need to put together an injury free season at state level and pull his own act together.  Surely there are enough good indigenous leaders out of the game who would be willing to help ...if he pulls his head in and acts himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I like the sentiment, but I recon that's what Freo would have thought.  I think he's run out of any credits at AFL clubs these days.  For Bennell to redeem himself, I recon he would need to put together an injury free season at state level and pull his own act together.  Surely there are enough good indigenous leaders out of the game who would be willing to help ...if he pulls his head in and acts himself. 

Let's say there is a 10% chance that bennell gets back to his best, would that be worth giving him 1 year? 

At his best he could be our isaak smith. Personally i think we need this type of player more than a full back. 

I'm of the opinion that we have such a good core 20-23 players, that we have the ability to take a punt with 1 or 2 spots on our list each year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actually @drdrake just thinking about things, Liam Jurrah was a bigger waste of talent than Bennell.  Wow could that guy play.  Imagine him in our side now and the high octane outside run he could provide.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, go home. 

Seriously, what name is going to to appear next on the cheese board? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I would love to take the punt on him. We make freo pay half of his already small contract, so as we don't end up losing cap space.

He is prodigious talent obviously, 90+ goals in 70-something games, plus 26 brownlow votes. At his best, or 75% his best he is the perfect player for us, quick skilful winger. 

The thing i like about it is that we have the culture that can:

a) potentially turn him around. We have Neville, probably the most respected indigenous leader in the AFL, and also we may have steven May, who is also indigenous and an AFL captain. The indigenous boys clearly share a close bond, and these two leaders are the best Bennell could possibly get. Furthermore, our other leaders of Jones, Viney, Lewis and Gawn have created a very good culture. 

b) If he does F up after we get him, our culture would not be damaged as we have too many good people in the club. We can just say "thank you for trying harley, head back home" as soon as he steps out of line. 

100% worth the punt IMO, will cost nothing (picks or salary cap), with potential huge up side. 

+ we have so many open spots on our list

 

I admire your optimism, but “we’ve got Neville Jetta” is not going to cut it. 

This idea is just madness. You risk introducing infectious cultural problems, for the 0.001% chance he might miraculously be cured of the issues that he’s been up against for most of his adult life. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Let's say there is a 10% chance that bennell gets back to his best, would that be worth giving him 1 year? 

At his best he could be our isaak smith. Personally i think we need this type of player more than a full back. 

I'm of the opinion that we have such a good core 20-23 players, that we have the ability to take a punt with 1 or 2 spots on our list each year. 

Maybe if we could rookie him, but I think he's more like a 1% chance than 10% and we are better off drafting a kid with good athletic ability, but a bit raw than a Bennell with lifestyle problems as well as recurring injuries.  I mean nothing against the guy personally and would love to see him sort his stuff out, I just don't think he is a viable option.

If you listen to Mahoney and co, they are also backing Jayden Hunt to have a better preseason and become that outside runner we need.  Bailey Freitch would be another, or as something from left field, Frosty could be a pretty difficult match up on a wing, if we have Lever, Oscar and May to hold fort down back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Actually @drdrake just thinking about things, Liam Jurrah was a bigger waste of talent than Bennell.  Wow could that guy play.  Imagine him in our side now and the high octane outside run he could provide.

Add in Mitch Clark the games he was fit for us he was amazing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I admire your optimism, but “we’ve got Neville Jetta” is not going to cut it. 

This idea is just madness. You risk introducing infectious cultural problems, for the 0.001% chance he might miraculously be cured of the issues that he’s been up against for most of his adult life. 

 

9 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Maybe if we could rookie him, but I think he's more like a 1% chance than 10% and we are better off drafting a kid with good athletic ability, but a bit raw than a Bennell with lifestyle problems as well as recurring injuries.  I mean nothing against the guy personally and would love to see him sort his stuff out, I just don't think he is a viable option.

If you listen to Mahoney and co, they are also backing Jayden Hunt to have a better preseason and become that outside runner we need.  Bailey Freitch would be another, or as something from left field, Frosty could be a pretty difficult match up on a wing, if we have Lever, Oscar and May to hold fort down back.

Both fair views. Let me say a couple of things however:

1) I can tell you first hand that many many many many AFL players use illicit drugs, and still play great footy (i know of over 3 brownlow medallists using drugs). Bennell was dumb enough to get caught on video, as did carlise. 

2) He has had poor work ethic. He has just turned 26. Many people take longer to wake up to themselves and become adults, Ross Lyon obviously thought Bennell had turned that corner and deserved another shot. 

3) Let's not brush over how good he could be. As i said he has just turned 26 (2/10/18), 26-29 is an AFL players best years generally. 

4) If he is a bad egg he cannot ruin an entire football club. we will send him on his way as soon as he makes a mistake.

I fully get Dees fans not wanting him, but i don't think its as clear cut a decision as some are suggesting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I bet you Clarkson is considering taking him on. Desperate to hang on to any chance the Hawks can resist an inevitable slide down the ladder.

Bennell hasn’t just got a drug problem, he’s got a head problem. Worst combination possible. Avoid like the plague.

Edited by EnterTheDragon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Too much baggage sadly because he’s a great talent and bargain basement price. 

This.

There have been some wasted talents over the years but this guy is right up there with the best/worst of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, no one will want him. Perhaps that is part of the Freo plan to wake him up and realise he only has 1 more year to make a change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

 

Both fair views. Let me say a couple of things however:

1) I can tell you first hand that many many many many AFL players use illicit drugs, and still play great footy (i know of over 3 brownlow medallists using drugs). Bennell was dumb enough to get caught on video, as did carlise. 

2) He has had poor work ethic. He has just turned 26. Many people take longer to wake up to themselves and become adults, Ross Lyon obviously thought Bennell had turned that corner and deserved another shot. 

3) Let's not brush over how good he could be. As i said he has just turned 26 (2/10/18), 26-29 is an AFL players best years generally. 

4) If he is a bad egg he cannot ruin an entire football club. we will send him on his way as soon as he makes a mistake.

I fully get Dees fans not wanting him, but i don't think its as clear cut a decision as some are suggesting. 

I admire your openmindedness but the risk is just too high. Not simply in terms of the return we will get from him on the field, which alone is a risk, but let’s not underestimate the influence a player of his age could have on players five years his junior. It’s not a case of ruining an entire football club. It’s a case of being a contributor to standards dropping that 1% which can affect results, which can affect seasons.

This is a bloke who after being given umpteen chances still finds himself involved in nightclub brawls and turning up to training late. The need for another classy outside player is great, but it’s not that great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P-man said:

I admire your openmindedness but the risk is just too high. Not simply in terms of the return we will get from him on the field, which alone is a risk, but let’s not underestimate the influence a player of his age could have on players five years his junior. It’s not a case of ruining an entire football club. It’s a case of being a contributor to standards dropping that 1% which can affect results, which can affect seasons.

This is a bloke who after being given umpteen chances still finds himself involved in nightclub brawls and turning up to training late. The need for another classy outside player is great, but it’s not that great.

Fair enough, i guess we differ on that point. I just think with the leaders we have at the club now that he couldn't do any damage; Like i couldn't see a new draftee going off the rails with Bennell whilst the likes of Gawn, Jones, Oliver and Viney are around. Plus i think Bennell would walk into the club with his tail between his legs, rather than full of youthful cockiness.

Of course, none of us actually know Harley or his current mind-state, intentions or values. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Fair enough, i guess we differ on that point. I just think with the leaders we have at the club now that he couldn't do any damage; Like i couldn't see a new draftee going off the rails with Bennell whilst the likes of Gawn, Jones, Oliver and Viney are around. Plus i think Bennell would walk into the club with his tail between his legs, rather than full of youthful cockiness.

Of course, none of us actually know Harley or his current mind-state, intentions or values. 

I don’t think he’s the devil incarnate. But I think there’s enough evidence to say he’s not worth the risk. But as I said like your openmindedness to the idea. My stance is certainly the more mainstream.

His off field issues aside, I’m not convinced he can reproduce his best football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I think his reputation is worse than his actual list of offences. 

 

I remember Rodney Eade saying in an interview about his time at the Suns that there were a number of off field incidences that the media did not get  wind of regarding Bennell. The look of disappointment/disdain/pity on Rocket’s face said it all.

You are barking up the wrong tree on this one LordNevX. You’re consistent bro I’ll give you that!

Edited by Grapeviney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A fine legacy Brad Lloyd left with Freo!  Signed Mundy, Bennell and Ballantyne to one year deals and committed to similar for Sandiland in mid August - at about the time he announced he was leaving for Carlton. 

Those 4 would tie up at least $ .750m of their 2019 sal cap - good money that could toward Lobb and/or Hogan.

None of those guys were going anywhere but retirement.  Someone at Freo took their eye off the ball.  Why on earth sign them up in mid August rather than wait till after the trade period.  Peter Bell must be tearing his hair out trying to right that ship. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

I remember Rodney Eade saying in an interview about his time at the Suns that there were a number of off field incidences that the media did not get  wind of regarding Bennell. The look of disappointment/disdain/pity on Rocket’s face said it all.

You are barking up the wrong tree on this one LordNevX. You’re consistent bro I’ll give you that!

I put forward points of view with the understanding that i may be wrong, and an understanding that nobody can actually know for sure if Bennell would work, or if May would work, or how playing 3 talls would work. 

I think you forget your opinions are not facts. (take a leaf out of @P-man's book, he/she knows how to have a discussion with someone of opposing opinions)

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×