Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm

Sign in to follow this  
MadAsHell

Jay Lockhart

Recommended Posts

Thought Jay should get his own thread.

177cm, 75kg, and will be 23 years old for the start of the 2019 season.

Runner up in Casey's B&F and very highly rated by Rawlings. Jay has good speed and uses the ball well. Despite his size, he's shown an ability to win his own ball, playing in multiple roles. Started the year at half back, but then moved to a wing and on ball. Spent short stints forward also, kicking 10 goals for the year.

Hoping we can get the rights to Jay through trading with Gold Coast in relation to the May/KK deal. He fits our needs and would be especially good to get a mature body in given the likely departures of Tyson & Vandenberg.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Thought Jay should get his own thread.

177cm, 75kg, and will be 23 years old for the start of the 2019 season.

Runner up in Casey's B&F and very highly rated by Rawlings. Jay has good speed and uses the ball well. Despite his size, he's shown an ability to win his own ball, playing in multiple roles. Started the year at half back, but then moved to a wing and on ball. Spent short stints forward also, kicking 10 goals for the year.

Hoping we can get the rights to Jay through trading with Gold Coast in relation to the May/KK deal. He fits our needs and would be especially good to get a mature body in given the likely departures of Tyson & Vandenberg.

I don't think he fits our needs 'Mad'.

He doesn't have one thing that really stands out about him and we have some like JKH & Billy for example on the list already.

Looked good during the year but seemed to fall off in the finals which is not a good advertisement.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rjay said:

I don't think he fits our needs 'Mad'.

He doesn't have one thing that really stands out about him and we have some like JKH & Billy for example on the list already.

Looked good during the year but seemed to fall off in the finals which is not a good advertisement.

Always hard to rate mature age players but I thought Lockhart looked a natural at half back and a quick skilled rebounding flanker is certainly a need.

Lewis clearly doesn't have much left. Salem or Lever might move in to that spot but there will be an opening for a guy who can run the ball out.

Apart from Hunt we don't have anyone else on the list to take over that role. Stretch and JKH are wing/half forward types. KK I get the feeling reading between the lines will be targeted to play wing at least initially. Fritsch can do it but is more the type to mark and kick rather than really run the lines, as is Wagner. Joel Smith isn't that skilled type either. Dion Johnstone seems more of a lock down defender at least at this stage, if he ever makes it at all.

Lockhart played midfield and forward in Casey finals because that's where they were short on talent. His half back games that I saw were much better. I hope they were hiding him from recruiters and rounding his game as well.

They said when they recruited Tim Smith and Fritsch that they would've picked them for Melbourne if available. There were times earlier this year when Lewis needed a kick up the backside that I would've picked Lockhart.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shhhh. Lockhart is a late pick option around 60+.  Depending on list spots available, Lockhart may be a rookie. 

He fits the small defender role perfectly, as a backup for Jetta.  Good skills. Good strength over the footy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So GC and Carlton have a free hit at any Casey players?

Not ideal as it looks like we've created a decent pathway with our reserves, picking up 1 or 2 a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't justify having both Dion Johnstone & Lockhart on the list. If we delist Johnstone, then Lockhart becomes a viable option with a late draft or rookie selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, poita said:

I couldn't justify having both Dion Johnstone & Lockhart on the list. If we delist Johnstone, then Lockhart becomes a viable option with a late draft or rookie selection.

Different types of players. Johnstone is more defensive and contested, Lockhart plays higher up the ground and gets more of the ball. No issue having 2 smaller defenders developing on the list if they are both wanted. We've got the list spots to balance the list with a number of needs type picks but also to take some developmental prospects no matter what position they play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liked his vfl form this year. Not sure how out list looks until after trade week. Certainly at least a rookie list option. Could be a late pick for senior list depending on how many list spots and picks we have left after potential trades.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for a rookie spot along with C.Wagner we have a knack of picking up Casey players that are in form like Fritsch, T.Smith and Keilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we pushed to include him in the trades, there was certainly a lag between the Suns first 2 mature age pick ups and their 3rd which occurred once the mega deal got traction.

We've got lots of options for the 3 talls. Jetta and Hibberd the deep playing small/medium types. Salem on one flank. If KK is set for a wing then we still could do with a run and kick player on the other flank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

Fqwwww are bw dr award rewards what'refo

 

56 minutes ago, The Great Pretender said:

Pardon me.

It’s Klingon for ‘do you reckon a chance in the rookie draft?’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think we're a good chance of taking Jay in the national draft, just a question of where? We'll take the best kid at Pick 23, but we could take Jay anywhere from Pick 28 onwards. I'll be suprised if he isn't a Demon in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Still think we're a good chance of taking Jay in the national draft, just a question of where? We'll take the best kid at Pick 23, but we could take Jay anywhere from Pick 28 onwards. I'll be suprised if he isn't a Demon in 2019.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we take him at pick 28.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'll be extremely disappointed if we take him at pick 28.

You never know where the mature age state players will fall. I don't think any experts had Fritsch in the top 40 last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Still think we're a good chance of taking Jay in the national draft, just a question of where? We'll take the best kid at Pick 23, but we could take Jay anywhere from Pick 28 onwards. I'll be suprised if he isn't a Demon in 2019.

28 feels too high, but anything after that I'd be happy with.  Pretty sure Lockhart played National Under 18's for Tas in the same year KK did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

You never know where the mature age state players will fall. I don't think any experts had Fritsch in the top 40 last year.

He was around that mark and started coming in as more draft expert types looked at his skill set. Fritsch was pretty much an older version of an 18 year old draftee, very raw and with a lot of upside and skills. Instead of having a strong under 18 season it took him until his body was right to produce a strong VFL season. 

Lockhart is more experienced in state leagues having come over from Tassie, that kind of player who's improved steadily usually goes later in the draft.

We'd also have made a pretty decent mistake if we pick Lockhart with 28 given Geelong picked up a player by sending 42 to Carlton early in the trade week. If we rated Lockhart with a pick clearly above then we should've dealt 36 to Carlton a week ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He was around that mark and started coming in as more draft expert types looked at his skill set. Fritsch was pretty much an older version of an 18 year old draftee, very raw and with a lot of upside and skills. Instead of having a strong under 18 season it took him until his body was right to produce a strong VFL season. 

Lockhart is more experienced in state leagues having come over from Tassie, that kind of player who's improved steadily usually goes later in the draft.

We'd also have made a pretty decent mistake if we pick Lockhart with 28 given Geelong picked up a player by sending 42 to Carlton early in the trade week. If we rated Lockhart with a pick clearly above then we should've dealt 36 to Carlton a week ago.

As I said, we could look to take Lockhart as early as 28, but it could be later. Rating mature age draft prospects is all in the eye of the beholder.

As for Fritsch, Cal Twomey didn't have him in his top 30, Kevin Sheehan in his top 40 or Knightmare in his top 50. So not sure who who you were referring to who ranked Fritsch up higher.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/callum-twomeys-2017-phantom-draft

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-11-22/draft-sheehans-top-40

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

As for Fritsch, Cal Twomey didn't have him in his top 30, Kevin Sheehan in his top 40 or Knightmare in his top 50.

Sheehan is an old goat who doesn't have a clue, Twomey a kid who seems to just look at the bigfooty boards, and Knightmare is nothing more than a glorified bigfooty talent scout.

If KM can get a gig with espn as a draft guru, then ET should, by all rights, be the host of trade radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

As I said, we could look to take Lockhart as early as 28, but it could be later. Rating mature age draft prospects is all in the eye of the beholder.

I really doubt he will get picked up in the National draft. He's a chance to be rookied. He's no Fritsch.

22 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Sheehan is an old goat who doesn't have a clue, Twomey a kid who seems to just look at the bigfooty boards, and Knightmare is nothing more than a glorified bigfooty talent scout.

If KM can get a gig with espn as a draft guru, then ET should, by all rights, be the host of trade radio.

Please feel free to list all the experts who had Fritsch in the top 40. I mean you're welcome to shoot from the hip like that, but it works better if you have something to back it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I really doubt he will get picked up in the National draft. He's a chance to be rookied. He's no Fritsch.

 

You may well be right. Time will tell I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    If there was ever a prime example of a team of players not ready for the new football season it was Melbourne in the opening round of 2019.   Throughout the field there was just too much evidence of players who haven’t had sufficient pre-season or players who ordinarily wouldn’t have even graced the field at this early stage.   The Demons also got a lesson on selection with Port Adelaide showing that two ruckmen on the field is an essential for this season.  It was a lesson that should

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...