Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

2018 Player Reviews: # 44 Joel Smith

Recommended Posts

SON OF A GUN

The high flyer was on the cusp of becoming a regular when a shoulder injury cut him down late in the season. The selectors had enough faith to give him a game in the Preliminary Final and he was among the better players on that day.

Date of Birth: 25 February, 1996

Height: 191cm

Weight: 87kg

Games MFC 2018: 7

Career Total: 10

Goals MFC 2018: 0

Career Total: 0

CDFC Games 2018: 9

CDFC Goals 2018: 4

Votes 2018 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy: 71 votes

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Nice write up @Demonland

Further, Joel jagged a goal in the prelim if I recall correctly.

Edited by Danelska
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Joel has an extended period in the team next year. He was in good form before he injured his shoulder.

Definitely has some tricks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joel has some decent characteristics, but I am still not convinced as to his ability to be a key defender at AFL level. Perhaps he will be redeployed further up the ground next season, particularly when Lever returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did enough for me to be on the list. With some more positional training he could be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, layzie said:

Did enough for me to be on the list. With some more positional training he could be ok.

I believe he could be anything with an injury free run over the next 3 years. He has all the athletic tools needed at AFL level but also the footy smarts and pedigree to be more than just an athlete playing footy. In the future he could go forward or he could play wing as well although not sure of his tank at the moment. Could he develop into an Isaac Smith type running player? I am very positive. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was interesting that the FD pushed him forward in the PF.

In the recent past a defensive forward has been used to stop the running HB.

The intercept marking back like McGovern, Howe, Rance, Lever, Stratton, Aliir is the new key player in teams arsenal and IMO the one to stop with a defensive forward.

Joel Smith is well suited to play a tight match up on these players because he can compete strongly in the air and with his athleticism and pace we retain defensive tackiling pressure on the ground.

I could really see this role as a game changer and Joel has the attributes.

You can't play too many defensive forwards though and it would probably have to come at the expense of say ANB's role.

The idea could be further strengthened by the 666 configuration to reduce the impact of intercept marking.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see him get a run of 12+ games in a row to see how much he improves.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

It was interesting that the FD pushed him forward in the PF.

In the recent past a defensive forward has been used to stop the running HB.

The intercept marking back like McGovern, Howe, Rance, Lever, Stratton, Aliir is the new key player in teams arsenal and IMO the one to stop with a defensive forward.

Joel Smith is well suited to play a tight match up on these players because he can compete strongly in the air and with his athleticism and pace we retain defensive tackiling pressure on the ground.

I could really see this role as a game changer and Joel has the attributes.

You can't play too many defensive forwards though and it would probably have to come at the expense of say ANB's role.

The idea could be further strengthened by the 666 configuration to reduce the impact of intercept marking.

I think this is an outstanding idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly talented and brave.

It will be interesting to see just what rôle the powers-that-be see for him.

Is his disposal up to it? (Haven't seen enough of him close up to judge).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, monoccular said:

Certainly talented and brave.

It will be interesting to see just what rôle the powers-that-be see for him.

Is his disposal up to it? (Haven't seen enough of him close up to judge).

I can't rate him . I have not seen him play one good game of merit for Casey to be given a game for Melb .Can't  really judge his game in the PRELIM. Although kicked a goal with a gimme in the square. I would be surprised  if  is given a regular game.

He has played 10 games and one quarter of football  was satisfactory. The best tackle he made was on Melksham on the training track.

Please prove me wrong!   I can't see what some of you are seeing,  sorry. TMO. 

OK his brave but not so talented.

Edited by nosoupforme
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shows real promise I think we will see the best of Joel next year just needs an injury free run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

I can't rate him . I have not seen him play one good game of merit for Casey to be given a game for Melb .Can't  really judge his game in the PRELIM. Although kicked a goal with a gimme in the square. I would be surprised  if  is given a regular game.

He has played 10 games and one quarter of football  was satisfactory. The best tackle he made was on Melksham on the training track.

Please prove me wrong!   I can't see what some of you are seeing,  sorry. TMO. 

OK his brave but not so talented.

A bit harsh Nosoup, though I can see where you are comming from.

For mind I can certainly see some good athletic and defense aspects to his game which have probably made a good contribution to the team when he has played.  Not sure you have really been watching him play Nosoup if all you have seen is one good tackle, as I have seen plenty of desperate, effective tackles, spoils and good body contact comming from Joel.

To me though he is yet to really stamp himself on the senior side with a run of consistent good footy (getting injured just as he is starting to get settled doesn't help that).  Problem for me is that he often doesn't look all that confident, composed and purposeful in his ball use when he gets it (which isn't that often).  I guess if he does a good enough lock down defensive job he doesn't nessasrily need to get heaps of the footy, but it always helps to have numerous strings to your bow.

I have seen improverment in his game this year and still put him down as a bit of a work in progress and would like to see what he can do in the next year or two.  Have to remember that he hasn't come off a huge base of rep footy development like many of the young guys, so might take a bit longer to mature from a game sense perspective which I think is the area of most need for improvement for him.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 4:45 AM, Fifty-5 said:

It was interesting that the FD pushed him forward in the PF.

In the recent past a defensive forward has been used to stop the running HB.

The intercept marking back like McGovern, Howe, Rance, Lever, Stratton, Aliir is the new key player in teams arsenal and IMO the one to stop with a defensive forward.

Joel Smith is well suited to play a tight match up on these players because he can compete strongly in the air and with his athleticism and pace we retain defensive tackiling pressure on the ground.

I could really see this role as a game changer and Joel has the attributes.

You can't play too many defensive forwards though and it would probably have to come at the expense of say ANB's role.

The idea could be further strengthened by the 666 configuration to reduce the impact of intercept marking.

There will be needs and opportunities across the team set-up after the 'great recruiting drive' should it eventuate as our interests come to fruition. Smith has a variety of youthful talents; marking and speed are two of these so after an intense pre-season, he should be able to display more of the overall improvements, combined with good coaching and diversified practising and role plays. He is possibly a potential wingman; his running will need to be two-way, but his mobility, height and upfield focus might be better managed; it is a possible longer-term customisation of the team and shows again that within, we have some potentials yet to be trialled and identified with our younger guns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

A bit harsh Nosoup, though I can see where you are comming from.

For mind I can certainly see some good athletic and defense aspects to his game which have probably made a good contribution to the team when he has played.  Not sure you have really been watching him play Nosoup if all you have seen is one good tackle, as I have seen plenty of desperate, effective tackles, spoils and good body contact comming from Joel.

To me though he is yet to really stamp himself on the senior side with a run of consistent good footy (getting injured just as he is starting to get settled doesn't help that).  Problem for me is that he often doesn't look all that confident, composed and purposeful in his ball use when he gets it (which isn't that often).  I guess if he does a good enough lock down defensive job he doesn't nessasrily need to get heaps of the footy, but it always helps to have numerous strings to your bow.

I have seen improverment in his game this year and still put him down as a bit of a work in progress and would like to see what he can do in the next year or two.  Have to remember that he hasn't come off a huge base of rep footy development like many of the young guys, so might take a bit longer to mature from a game sense perspective which I think is the area of most need for improvement for him.

You have made some relevant points RBG . I will follow his progress with interest without being harsh. I would like to see him do well however he must do the hard yards and game time and be deserving of a game not just because he burns the training track. I can see where your coming from and  that point of view.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, Demonland said:

SON OF A GUN

The high flyer was on the cusp of becoming a regular when a shoulder injury cut him down late in the season. The selectors had enough faith to give him a game in the Preliminary Final and he was among the better players on that day.

Date of Birth: 25 February, 1996

Height: 191cm

Weight: 87kg

Games MFC 2018: 7

Career Total: 10

Goals MFC 2018: 0

Career Total: 0

CDFC Games 2018: 9

CDFC Goals 2018: 4

Votes 2018 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy: 71 votes

 

What?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 8:05 AM, hells bells said:

Would love to see him get a run of 12+ games in a row to see how much he improves.  

Agree. Joel needs a full, injury free pre-season and then a consistent run of games early in the season 

The Club obviously rate him and it would be fantastic to see just what he is capable of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 8:50 AM, nosoupforme said:

You have made some relevant points RBG . I will follow his progress with interest without being harsh. I would like to see him do well however he must do the hard yards and game time and be deserving of a game not just because he burns the training track. I can see where your coming from and  that point of view.

 

RBG is correct - a work in progress but that is not negative, at all. He has made strides and has the endeavour to succeed. He can be impressive. Game time - big stage - is critical as he has shown in limited exposure. One day he may be an active fwd. as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×