Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, olisik said:

Gotta back our boys to win the dog fight. 

And what if having May this means the difference to our defence being solid enough to win the premiership in 2019. I’m willing to back us getting him could make that difference and therefor worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The SA club swill be knocking Mahoney's door down to get it.  Crows have picks 8, 13, 16 and 20.  I reckon they would give up 8 with 13 or 16. 

We give 8 to GCS for May.  Deal done!!  Net result we keep 13 or 16 and pocket Freo's 1st round 2019 pick!!  Happy days!!

Hold Port and Crows to Ransom highest bidder wins and swap or we could even get Port to pay all of Watts' full Salary if were still paying it.

If that's allowed.🙂

Port have picks 10,11, i reckon they'll try and swap with Saints pick 4 to get ahead of Crows if the get 5.

Or have Saints ruled this out?

Edited by Win4theAges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, olisik said:

If we can get May without a draft pick next year then why would we give up a top 10 pick for him this year?

Trade Hogan, keep pick 5,6 on Smith/Rankine.

Next year get May via FA

Hey Oilslick, another great garbage post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has this HS article been referenced yet?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jesse-hogan-passes-medical-at-fremantle-as-melbourne-stand-firm-on-trade-demands/news-story/5149035f1f61d909f23d5cf0ba12064b

If not, the relevant section reads:

"Speculation that Hogan, 23, had failed medical tests held in Perth last week were on Wednesday night dismissed, with his camp adamant the spearhead will be fit to play for the Demons or the Dockers in Round 1 next year.

The goal kicker is currently holidaying in Bali, but was fully assessed by Fremantle medicos during a tour of the Dockers’ headquarters last week."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, olisik said:

If we can get May without a draft pick next year then why would we give up a top 10 pick for him this year?

Trade Hogan, keep pick 5,6 on Smith/Rankine.

Next year get May via FA

Because we need him now and I’m sure there will be other suitors next year when he is a free agent 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Hold Port and Crows to Ransom highest bidder wins and swap or we could even get Port to pay all of Watts' full Salary if were still paying it.

If that's allowed.🙂

Port have picks 10,11, i reckon they'll try and swap with Saints pick 4 to get ahead of Crows if the get 5.

Or have Saints ruled this out?

I think Port will try and get one of the Suns picks for 10 and 11. 

This will guarantee one of the SA kids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think Port will try and get one of the Suns picks for 10 and 11. 

This will guarantee one of the SA kids

The Suns aren’t giving up an opportunity to draft  Lukosius or Rankine for picks 10 & 11. Not in a million years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

The Suns aren’t giving up an opportunity to draft  Lukosius or Rankine for picks 10 & 11. Not in a million years.

They will still get one of the 2 and then 2 very good players at 10 and 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

They will still get one of the 2 and then 2 very good players at 10 and 11

Why would they do that?

You’d draft two stars over one star and two good players every day of the week. 

Makes no sense what you’re saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

The Suns aren’t giving up an opportunity to draft  Lukosius or Rankine for picks 10 & 11. Not in a million years.

But Suns may trade pick 3 to the Crows for 8 and 13.  SA clubs are desperate for local talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Why would they do that?

You’d draft two stars over one star and two good players every day of the week. 

Makes no sense what you’re saying.

The 2 stars might be at 10 and 11.  There are no guarantees on any of the kids. Having 3 gives you a higher probability of getting a star 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pates said:

Because this is likely our best opportunity to get him and it will help us in the short term for our premiership chances in 2019. Collingwood we’re into him big time this year and if we don’t get him now we going into a FA dogfight. 

May won't be available as FA. Either he'll come to us or the Pies, or he'll re-sign a long-term deal at GC. The May situation has come up for the same reason the Hogan one has: clubs don't want players hanging round for a year till their contract runs out or they become FA. If they won't commit long-term, they're let go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope for Weidemans development sake that Hogan goes. I reckon the Weed is going to turn into a unit with another pre-season under his belt. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jibroni said:

But Suns may trade pick 3 to the Crows for 8 and 13.  SA clubs are desperate for local talent.

Why would the Suns care that Crows or Port are desperate for local talent?

If either of those clubs want access to two of the best three players in a superdraft they are going to literally have to move mountains to do so. Picks 10&11 or picks 8&13 are not getting you access to Lukosius or a Rankine. Not even close. 

Several draft commentators have also stated that although there is some amazing talent in this batch, it fallls away a bit after the first 7 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

The 2 stars might be at 10 and 11.  There are no guarantees on any of the kids. Having 3 gives you a higher probability of getting a star 

Nup that’s not how it works. Go back through the past 12 drafts. You will see how heavily weighted the stars are in the top 5 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, EnterTheDragon said:

Why would the Suns care that Crows or Port are desperate for local talent?

If either of those clubs want access to two of the best three players in a superdraft they are going to literally have to move mountains to do so. Picks 10&11 or picks 8&13 are not getting you access to Lukosius or a Rankine. Not even close. 

Several draft commentators have also stated that although there is some amazing talent in this batch, it fallls away a bit after the first 7 picks.

Disagree; I don't rate Lukosius (see Jack Watts at same age) in the top 3 and Suns have little to lose by doing that trade.

I would pick Rozee before Lukosius.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think Port will try and get one of the Suns picks for 10 and 11. 

This will guarantee one of the SA kids

Yeah i also thought this but they were pretty adamant they weren't parting with them. 

Stranger things have happened tho.

They are definitely holding firm with May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I want him gone. 

I want May. I don’t want another will he won’t he year. I don’t want a player who isn’t all in. I want to improve our list and he feels surplus to our needs. He isn’t committed to us. He needs to leave. 

We have supported him for years. Gave him everything we could. He clearly isn’t interested, not even now that we are on the verge of serious success. He’s gotta go. 

Spot on!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Hey Oilslick, another great garbage post.

Sorry mate, forgot that any opinion that isn’t yours was garbage. Keep it up with the quality posts such as this one paying out on fellow supporters. Great work.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Disagree; I don't rate Lukosius (see Jack Watts at same age) in the top 3 and Suns have little to lose by doing that trade.

I would pick Rozee before Lukosius.

 

 

He looks alot like Watts doesnt he? I watched him play a couple of times during the SANFL finals series, he plays alot like him.

Rankine is the one to get.

Edited by Win4theAges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freo on a hiding to nothing here. They need a low first or decent second round pick to get Lobb, but hard to see where it's going to come from, as neither we (Hogan) nor Brisbane (Neale) have one. You'd think that neither our second rounder (36) or Brisbane's (32) wouldn't be enough for GWS.

Complicated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

He looks alot like Watts doesnt he, I watched him play a couple of time during the SANFL finals series he plays alot like him.

Rankine is the one to get.

Agree WTA, I watch a lot of SANFL through my work and my colleagues agree re: Lukosius, has heaps of talent but is a peaheart.

 

Edited by Jibroni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News of his departure seems to be complete [censored] once again. 

Once again we have seen their cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, bing181 said:

May won't be available as FA. Either he'll come to us or the Pies, or he'll re-sign a long-term deal at GC. The May situation has come up for the same reason the Hogan one has: clubs don't want players hanging round for a year till their contract runs out or they become FA. If they won't commit long-term, they're let go.

But Gold Coast could well end up with band 1 compo if he leaves next year which, let's face it, is going to be another pick inside the top 5.

The AFL will ensure they're looked after, the club is a basketcase when it comes to player retention. I doubt they (GC) would be too upset with that outcome next year.

Slightly different story for free agents leaving high-placing clubs, because the FA compo is so much less and a trade one year early can yield better currency. 

Edited by SaberFang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Nup that’s not how it works. Go back through the past 12 drafts. You will see how heavily weighted the stars are in the top 5 picks.

I did go back through the last 12 drafts and @Demons11 has a good point - 2 picks may be more attractive than 1 higher one,  particularly in a 'super draft' year as reports suggest

There's always been plenty of great talent in the 7-14 range (barring 2009 which looked a pretty average draft and 2016-17 too early to tell), also a few flops in the top 7.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Rioli, Riewoldt, Ziebel, Davis, Sidebottom, Lynch, Greene, Dev Smith, .... etc etc

So unsurprisingly it's got a lot to do with ability to pick the talent. 

Edited by Graeme Yeats' Mullet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×