Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

14 minutes ago, skills32 said:

What part of 'That is all they had to offer' don;t you understand.

They only picks they  have right now are 11, 23, 49, and 81. How are they going to get 2 first rounders out of that lot.

And don't say the pick for Neale because that deal has not been done.

You’ve heard of the concept of trading future first round picks, yeah?

13 minutes ago, skills32 said:

They only picks they  have right now are 11, 23, 49, and 81. How are they going to get 2 first rounders out of that lot.

Freo can very much validly offer a pick they haven’t received yet if they think they’ll be able to deliver it. If they are unable to, the deal simply falls through. That’s why you’ll often see one deal go through and then a chain of dependent trades go through in short succession.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Based on the fact it’s been widely reported he’s received long term offers of over a million dollars per season, over the past few years I think it’s safe to assume it’s the same again. Or he’d stay at the dees, collect his 850 k next year and have a crack at a flag. 

I think it’s unrealistic to think he’d leave us to go to freo for a 2 year 600k deal... 

i believe this is a negotiation tactic because no one heard any of this until freo started negotiations, then suddenly there are rumours flying everywhere about Jesse. And yet freo are still willing to offer pick 11 and a second rounder plus what is presumably a sizeable contract for him. Issues can’t be that bad can they? 

They want Melbourne to budge and I’m very confident if we hold firm peter bell as arrogant as he is will realise it’s a massive failure from him personally to fail to sign jesse when he was as close to a sure thing as you can get. 

Perhaps if these rumours were around half way through the year dees fans might have taken them more seriouly but they weren’t because Jesse was right in the mix for the Coleman and all Australian at the time

Where has it been “widely reported that he has received long term offers of over a million dollars a season over the past few years”?

Source? 

You keep stating assumption as fact. Just prefix everything you’re saying with “I’m totally guessing that ....” and then go for your life.

Don’t go applying for a job as a forensic detective anytime soon okay Patches!

Edited by EnterTheDragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

We will finally get to shrug our shoulders at Kent's body failing him, and laugh instead of cringe when Tyson takes 5 minutes to decide on an option, before being pinged for HTB

haha so true. he took so long to dispose of the ball

1 minute ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Where has it been “widely reported that he has received long term offers of over a million dollars a season over the past few years”?

Source? 

You keep stating assumption as fact. Just prefix everything you’re saying with “I’m totally guessing that ....” and then go for your life.

Trade radio last year mentioned freos pursuits multiple times, as well as dozens of articles, as well as the year before. I’m not sure how you’ve missed that. 

Not that it matters. It’s stupid to think he’s going there on a short term, low ball deal. Not in a million years 

minimum 5 years, minimum 900k.

31 minutes ago, skills32 said:

But they are the ones not doing the Neale deal. If they do they have 5 and 11. They also had 6 and knew we wanted it and then traded it. That was not an accident.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

works only if Freo are near enough to the bottom to ensure no other club takes him first.

If Hogan rejects the offer he doesn't play.

Big stakes and in a way a silly deal from Hogan's perspective in the sense that the picks are inter club... he's only interested in the length of contract and dollars per year.

So in short unless Freo end up bottom any deal from this year is on the table next year if not better.

As an aside I cannot understand why Hogan does not want to go to WCE at the end of next year instead of to the perennial cellar dweller that Freo could be destined to become.

Absolutely, why would anyone want to go to Freemantle. They have recruited a string of not quite rights, have a game plan that is past its used by date and their best player is in his dotage. If it really is about being near his family I could understand West Coast a successful club whose gun forward is over 30. It is only 12 months and g=he comes out of contract.

5 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Trade radio last year mentioned freos pursuits multiple times, as well as dozens of articles, as well as the year before. I’m not sure how you’ve missed that. 

Not that it matters. It’s stupid to think he’s going there on a short term, low ball deal. Not in a million years 

Not to mention Richmond just gave Tom Lynch a 7 year contract on good money as well. 

Jesse isn't going home for peanuts. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Freo can very much validly offer a pick they haven’t received yet if they think they’ll be able to deliver it. If they are unable to, the deal simply falls through. That’s why you’ll often see one deal go through and then a chain of dependent trades go through in short succession.

And the Neale deal can be done in 10 seconds, if they want to. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mydee said:

Absolutely, why would anyone want to go to Freemantle. They have recruited a string of not quite rights, have a game plan that is past its used by date and their best player is in his dotage. If it really is about being near his family I could understand West Coast a successful club whose gun forward is over 30. It is only 12 months and g=he comes out of contract.

If he goes to a club that is less successful and with relatively poor prospect  = less pressure = less expectation = less stress = more time for outside activitivies (surf, social life, music scene etc) but all for similar money. If he is not the footy beast/animal like a Viney, Gawn etc it may suit him perfectly to be in such an environment. He can then “cruise” through the season for a fat pay cheque. 

1 minute ago, Dodos Demons said:

If he goes to a club that is less successful and with relatively poor prospect  = less pressure = less expectation = less stress = more time for outside activitivies (surf, social life, music scene etc) but all for similar money. If he is not the footy beast/animal like a Viney, Gawn etc it may suit him perfectly to be in such an environment. He can then “cruise” through the season for a fat pay cheque. 

Likely a lot more money as there is less competition for the Freo salary cap space

3 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Not enough to give them Lobb, or as I prefer to call him- The Wedge

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

They could have got picks later on and we would have given some back for 5. & 6. 

we have buggar all picks too.

From the little I have heard over the last day or so it is all but certain that Hogan will play with us next season. The club is comfortable with this and I believe that Hogan and his management have a full understanding of what transpired and do not have a problem with the situation.

i don’t think there is any road back from the statements made by Freo with regard to Hogan and Neale. With the personalities involved, I cannot see it happening.

if Hogan does play with us next season I would suggest that he is locked in for the next two seasons. He is out of contract at the end of 2019 but will not become a restricted free agent until the end of 2020. I could see it unfolding that we approach him to get him to sign the extra year to take him to RFA. Given Freo’s performance during this draft season, there is no certainty that they will offer anything worthwhile next time around. If that was the case he may have to choose to go to the draft with no certainty of getting where he wants to go.

if he stays with Melbourne he has two competitive years to maybe land a flag and two further seasons of development to end up a RFA at 25yo, in his prime with a track record to command a top long term contract from whichever club he walks to and Melbourne take the compensation pick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm convinced you can't seriously sustain a proper culture that is built on mateship and trust (esprit de corps etc) and have a guy on your list who refuses to recommit beyond his current contract.

He's done at Melbourne and a trade should be found at all costs IMO.

We've stuck by him through everything and have put our arm around him in his time of need, but now we both need to go our separate ways.

Thank you for your service, Jesse, but we need to do what's best for us now.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Of course we all know Freo has been interested.  Durrhh. But you keep extrapolating an expression of interest to declare unequivocally that they have tabled X offer to him when there is exactly zero evidence to support your claim. 

Deal with the facts as they come to hand. I’ll walk you through them kindergarten style.

A) Freo expresses interest in Hogan

B) Freo began due diligence on Hogan

C) Freo dropped interest in Hogan

Is it any clearer for you now? Please don’t answer that.

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Based on the fact it’s been widely reported he’s received long term offers of over a million dollars per season, over the past few years I think it’s safe to assume it’s the same again. Or he’d stay at the dees, collect his 850 k next year and have a crack at a flag. 

I think it’s unrealistic to think he’d leave us to go to freo for a 2 year 600k deal... 

i believe this is a negotiation tactic because no one heard any of this until freo started negotiations, then suddenly there are rumours flying everywhere about Jesse. And yet freo are still willing to offer pick 11 and a second rounder plus what is presumably a sizeable contract for him. Issues can’t be that bad can they? 

They want Melbourne to budge and I’m very confident if we hold firm peter bell as arrogant as he is will realise it’s a massive failure from him personally to fail to sign jesse when he was as close to a sure thing as you can get. 

Perhaps if these rumours were around half way through the year dees fans might have taken them more seriouly but they weren’t because Jesse was right in the mix for the Coleman and all Australian at the time

And Peter Bell wasn't at the club yet to start the slow build of planting those seeds.

• Thanks 1