Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:
: If I'm@freodockers
, I'm saying Hogan wants to come home and I'm giving pick 5 and nothing else. If Melbourne don't want that, I'm going to the draft.
ok Sam......?‍♂️?‍♂️

Lol no one in the AFL would rate a pick 5 in a draft lottery higher then Hogan.

We simply have the upper hand.. McClure is clueless, and doesnt realise that Hogan is still contracted.

So its either cough up 2 first round picks or we hold onto him for another year to convince him to stay or he goes to West Coast.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Tell him he's dreamin...

So tempted to call in a blast that Archie comics looking goof.

Delusional.

Edited by DSP
  • Like 2

I have a feeling we might do this deal for 1 x First Rounder

This is unders IMHO, but Dal Santo on Trade Radio also discussing this as unders however Maclure suggesting our bargaining position is diluted by:

- Hogan 1 year remaining 

- Inevitable he'll go home sometime 

- May in play now

I presume also a Navicular injury adds some doubt... Even so, if we do for 1 x First Rounder I'll be disappointed.

Is there something we don't know about Hogan that the club does that is diminishing his value...?

• Haha 1

Sam Sam Sam Sam I am...

I am dumb as dogshlt Sam I am.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, olisik said:

Lol no one in the AFL would rate a pick 5 in a draft lottery higher then Hogan.

At this time of the year people like Sam McClure show up how little they actually know about player value. All they are interested in is seeing trades actually happen, rumours being floated, and activity in general. There is no risk in this draft/trade journalism because if it doesn't happen there are so many excuses that they can fall back upon.

Simple facts

• Hogan when compared to other key forward greats is tracking better statistically than most of them. He's had multiple 40+ goal seasons whilst often not playing the whole season. 
  • Hogan is still only 23, he's got the bulk of his career ahead of him, he's coming into his prime.
  • Treloar was traded for 2 first round picks (7 and 7 in the following year) and key forwards rate much higher than midfielders in terms of trade value. 
  • Freo are desperate for a quality key forward, and they are the ones who need to pay overs to get him out of contract a year early.
  • Melbourne don't have to trade him, and if we get him to honour the contract I have no doubt West Coast will become interested next year.

No doubt in my mind that the MFC are definitely in the box seat for this trade, we are going to accommodate an offer by Freo if Hogan wants to head home, but we are not giving him away for nothing. The only thing that would see us accepting a single pick would be if there is a player, worth a first round pick, being thrown as part of the deal instead. Which could play out if they are desperate to get Lobb in as well.

My only concern is that Lyon is saying 2 first round picks. I'd be saying 2 top 10 picks and one needs to be around the 5 or 6 mark.

• Like 4

Don't take to much out of our cap space being tight based on Mahoney saying we can't afford to get May without the Hogan deal.

He is a smart man he never mentioned money in his discussion it was assumed as a given but, without Hogan going to Freo we don't have the picks to get May to our club

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

This is unders IMHO, but Dal Santo on Trade Radio also discussing this as unders however Maclure suggesting our bargaining position is diluted by:

- Hogan 1 year remaining 

- May in play now

I presume also a Navicular injury adds some doubt... Even so, if we do for 1 x First Rounder I'll be disappointed.

Is there something we don't know about Hogan that the club does that is diminishing his value...?

Yet all of these other trades on the table such as Shiel, McGovern, even Neale... they are all under contract and the consensus you hear from most list managers is that it takes a little more to shake a player loose when under contract. Who cares if he'll go home anyway, it's irrelevant.

Bryce Gibbs got done for 2 first round picks... I mean really is he even remotely comparable?

Sam McClure doesn't get attention unless he says something controversial to make people notice. 

Watch this space, I bet that if we secure 2 first rounders or anything more than just pick 5. McClueless will come out and state that he thinks that it's a fair deal for both parties and thats what he expected the outcome to be all along!

Edited by Ouch!
  • Like 1

Freo offer pick 5.

Melbourne apologise to Hogan and say we are happy to let you go but freo are low balling us.

We have a crack at the flag with Hogan in 2019, telling him it's only one more year until he's a free agent. 

In the meantime, collingwood has no bargining chips for May, nor does Hawthorn, so May probably stays at GC for another year.

At the end of 2019, Hogan might leave, or maybe we convinced him to stay. Further May becomes a free agent and there is 0 chance he stays at GC. So we can pick up May for free and have a chance at retaining Hogan. We also come out looking like the good guys, as freo are the ones not willing to pay his worth. Furthermore, Kennedy may retire so WC become a big player.

We hold the chips here, for once. Hogan is not at odds with the club at all, and if he had to play one more year here, he would suck it up and even possibly enjoy it. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

My reaction to Hogan leaving, like many on here: damn . . . ooh wait, what can we get in return!? If it were Oliver I'd probably quit football and/or life altogether. Such is the difference.

Yet, we've apparently asked the AFL for special dispensation to trade out our 2019 first-rounder. Many have speculated that we may have something extra in the works, despite no other obvious signs or leaks from a fairly straightforward club - so perhaps it's just bargaining assurance? 

I haven't closely followed the make-it-up-as-you-go precedents (free kick Hawthorn), but I imagine we'll be given the green by the AFL on next year's first. With respect to our list profile, and recent history of trades, we're clearly not operating in the fashion of which the rule was obviously designed to protect against - e.g. a Ross Lyon-era Saints dive for the flag but with supercharged status. 

Us having next year's first-round potential in the pocket prevents the MFC from getting bent over by Freo. As is now our rhetoric. Two early firsts or we walk, and back ourselves in between now and next year to snag a signature or even a flag. As such, if Hogan were to stay, and we got May and KK for next year's first and trade change, we would then have to be pretty damned chuffed. 

Add a surprise Gaff to that mix and a Pruess exchange and it would just about equate to our best trade haul and list quality ever. If Hogan does go however, then we should have an extra top-ten chip. I believe we're sitting pretty on this one, with special thanks to the foresight of Mahoney and co. 

I don't think you're giving the club enough credit with this one mate. The way we traded down to get Oliver and then Weid is a perfect example of not being a straightforward club. We're ahead of the curve.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

- Hogan 1 year remaining 

- May in play now

IF we did the deal for pick 5 only there will be pitch forks outside of AAMI park. 

Mahoney said yesterday that they believe his value is up there with the largest trade values ever. 

I would prefer just to hold onto him until next year where the minimum value we would get then is is a low first rounder then. 

I think worst case is we get pick 5 & 2019 first with maybe a later pick swap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ManDee said:

No he didn't. He said we couldn't afford May without Hogan leaving. I took that to mean we had nothing to trade (picks). We need early picks to afford to be able to trade for quality players.

That's not what he said at all. Demonland has a real history of people coming on here and basically entirely misrepresenting statements of people quoted in the media.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

These blokes on SEN, Dal Santo and whoever this other Fa-log is, are just guessing and dribbling shite. They just said that the Hogan deal will go down to the last minute deadline. Why would that happen? Melbourne won’t let that happen. They have clearly stated thy Hogan will decide what he wants before next week. Melbourne need to know as they are after May and others. They won’t take the top10 picks to the draft. This is so well known and Mahoney has given away plenty. They are now discussing May and Sam McClure reckons he gets to melbourne. How can that happen if Hogan doesn’t go. Making it up. I wanna ring in.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Freo offer pick 5.

Melbourne apologise to Hogan and say we are happy to let you go but freo are low balling us.

We have a crack at the flag with Hogan in 2019, telling him it's only one more year until he's a free agent. 

In the meantime, collingwood has no bargining chips for May, nor does Hawthorn, so May probably stays at GC for another year.

At the end of 2019, Hogan might leave, or maybe we convinced him to stay. Further May becomes a free agent and there is 0 chance he stays at GC. So we can pick up May for free and have a chance at retaining Hogan. We also come out looking like the good guys, as freo are the ones not willing to pay his worth. Furthermore, Kennedy may retire so WC become a big player.

We hold the chips here, for once. Hogan is not at odds with the club at all, and if he had to play one more year here, he would suck it up and even possibly enjoy it. 

He is not a free agent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GCDee said:

IF we did the deal for pick 5 only there will be pitch forks outside of AAMI park. 

Mahoney said yesterday that they believe his value is up there with the largest trade values ever. 

I would prefer just to hold onto him until next year where the minimum value we would get then is is a low first rounder then. 

I think worst case is we get pick 5 & 2019 first with maybe a later pick swap. 

Agree with this and others above - 1 x First Rounder (even plus scraps) is way unders

I just find it interesting that the sentiment is so far progressed to him being gone, even from Mahoney saying ball is completely in Jesse's court. Couple this with Freo having limited draft pick currency and aspirations for Lobb and/or others this year. I feel I'm missing something, or the deal is not all that feasible givem Freo's position.

If I'm missing something, what is it?

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

To be honest I have never heard so much uneducated and poorly researched shizen dribble in years than I have on TradeRadio this week, it's actually a disgrace. Switched off.

100# agree.  I can’t understand why they have it a week before trade week actually starts 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

It looks like the fact that Hogan is not a free agent next year has to be re-stated on every page of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

Is he not a restricted free agent at then end of 2019?

Twice on every page!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5