Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

Just my two cents; this thread is a waste of time.  He is a star and nothing (absolutely nothing ) suggests he is not committed to this group. We can use him anywhere on the field. As for the rumours (which i accept are being offered in good faith) from someone who knows a player, they have all the reliability of an MP saying I support my leader. Why would he go to Freo which is going to have years of pain and leave a club (and a group he has developed with) that is now playing finals?  

I also don't buy our forward line is better without him argument.  Whilst he has been out our entire team and in particular our back half has been better which has enabled our forwards to be more functional.  Had he been available he would have kicked a bag each week. 

The logic that he is not there therefore the whole team is better is just fundamentally flawed. (Same logic would apply to Lever).  It fails to recognise that we have addressed other issues.  

We need players of his undoubted elite class not speculative picks. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, A F said:

During a discussion ON THE COUCH this evening,  it was interesting to hear Roos proffer and then promote the idea of playing Jesse at CHB. I got the feeling that this is what he'd try if he were still coaching.

Garry brought up Jesse's lack of forward half pressure and how the forward set up had improved since Jesse's injury. This is undeniable IMO. But the others interjected and rightly said our Jesse-less forwardline also coincided with us playing 6-6-6, so it wasn't as simple as Garry suggested.

However, I'd say at least playing Jesse at CHB would ensure more combativeness from him and the need for a pressure game.  His lack of tackling is really an issue for us IMO. And after playing a few games down back, he could then take this back to the forwardline with him.

Although, I'm still not convinced you can take a 40+ gun forward out of your forwardline...

On the fence as usual, A F.

He is already out of our forwardline isnt he?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Garry Lyon suggests Geelong should look at doing a ‘blockbuster trade’ to get Hogan to Geelong. [censored] off Garry. 

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/10/should-geelong-look-to-prise-jesse-hogan-out-of-melbourne/

think all the clubs would be looking at what Sam Weideman is doing at the moment and they will be asking the question to Melbourne,” Lyon added.

“I don’t think there will be any doubt about that."

18 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Garry Lyon suggests Geelong should look at doing a ‘blockbuster trade’ to get Hogan to Geelong. [censored] off Garry. 

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/10/should-geelong-look-to-prise-jesse-hogan-out-of-melbourne/

I don't really listen to much Garry has to say...

Roos is a different story and one of the points he made last night is why would you break up this group?

There is a real camaraderie within this group of players and Jessie is a big part of that.

A club that wanted to tinker with this would be playing with fire, it's a CS type of move, the type of thing people wrongly see as taking the tough decision when in fact it would be a dumb decision with little foresight.

• Like 4

Can someone please tell Garry Lyon to shut up. We have been a basket case for so long now. Now that we are a good team again i would like us stay there. I don't care even if we somehow pinch this years premiership i wouldn't trade him. Why not try and have a successful era like Hawthorn etc. He says he he loves the club well he doesn't show it. I wish this guy would shut his mouth. If we somehow pinch this years premiership and he presents the premiership i will throw up.

• Like 1

I don't mind the talk, i don't think he will be going anywhere and if someone wanted him, then it would be two top 10 draft picks (or like brayshaws brother and Freo's first round draft pick as an example). One thing that was discussed on the radio i think was that melbourne was playing 5 forwards a lot of the time when hogan was in and his pressure wasn't the best. When weid came in we started trying to play more traditional 6-6-6, hence 1v1's all over the place. So our game style has changed and this has also contributed to the Weid's success (may not be everything).

Hogan being a more physical player would no doubt love this sort of game plan (1v1). In fact i think jeff Garlett would too. Both, to me, were hurt by the Lever inclusion and our desire to play him as a lose defender. Given that we have the best ruck and midfield combo in my mind, we should be playing 1v1 all over the ground for the rest of the finals to take advantage of our midfield dominance (and lack of perceived outside classy run - like smith for hawthorn this week).

On 9/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, layzie said:

Honestly, I would like to see some form of action. If Hogan is staying, I'd like to see us extend his contract in the off season or at least very early next year. I'm really not keen on having a 2019 of distraction, rumours and innuendo every second week. I don't believe in this day and age you have the luxury to just let the player have as much time as they need and dally on things. I know he's a great guy, has been through a lot loyal but at the end of the day it's a business, and if we don't make business decisions we will lose out. 

I am sure you are high up in Jesse's thoughts...

This thread is stupid. Jesse loves Melbourne. 

And for all those saying the fwd line is functioning better without jesse you are missing the fact that we are playing differently since he has been out. Much more one on one, more composure delivering the ball into the fwd 50 (The elimination final was not a good example!) and much better pressure from everyone to keep the ball in there.

Jesse is a solid 40 goal plus fwd and you don't get rid of them because an 18 gamer has a good game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, solly21 said:

Can someone please tell Garry Lyon to shut up. We have been a basket case for so long now. Now that we are a good team again i would like us stay there. I don't care even if we somehow pinch this years premiership i wouldn't trade him. Why not try and have a successful era like Hawthorn etc. He says he he loves the club well he doesn't show it. I wish this guy would shut his mouth. If we somehow pinch this years premiership and he presents the premiership i will throw up.

I think based on Gary's past record if the club do the exact opposite to whatever he suggests from now on we will be in good stead 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, solly21 said:

Could not agree more

Has nothing to do with MFC has no inside and honestly his opinion is worth zero

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I don't really listen to much Garry has to say...

Roos is a different story and one of the points he made last night is why would you break up this group?

There is a real camaraderie within this group of players and Jessie is a big part of that.

A club that wanted to tinker with this would be playing with fire, it's a CS type of move, the type of thing people wrongly see as taking the tough decision when in fact it would be a dumb decision with little foresight.

Roos has respect and credibility. 

Lyon has non. His opinions are irrelevant.

It is sad to see what he has become.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Didn't a poster with generally good info say Sam W would be asking for a trade to Geelong as he couldn't get senior games?  The next week Jesse was injured. 

After Sam was selected the poster reported it was up to Sam to decide if he still wanted to go.  Let's hope not.

Garry may be barking up the wrong tree (nothing knew for him) for Geelong.

As an aside, with Sam's recent performances Geelong don't have enough picks/players to trade for him or Hogan!

11 minutes ago, Richard Tionary said:

aaaaand here comes the G Lyon bashing. Like clockwork. 

Interesting isn't it. The guy is a highly rated media commentator who is paid to do exactly this. What Lyon said was not unreasonable commentary. Despite the Neeld fiasco, Lyon has a very good footbal brain. I don't believe he's claiming insider intel, yet the haters can't help themselves.

Some on here suggest Hogan could play in the backline and get shouted down. Roos suggests the same and they go silent. Roos has enormous respect obviously, but the message was the same.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Redleg said:

Those that said Weid was hopeless might be reconsidering. Hogan will be a star and hopefully in red and blue.

Coping with Tom, Jesse and Weid will be hard for the opposition.

We need to cherrypick the players that can improve us, not push away the ones that we can build a strong team on, for years to come.

For example, we have a need for a second ruck and we are chasing Preuss to fill that gap. That will allow us to move on rucks like King and Filipovic, who may not be what we need.

spot on old son

If the Weid rumour is true then sorry Sam i wish you the best.

How many teams have a guaranteed 45 goals in their team? I'm only trading Jesse if he wants to leave. I'd also only take 2 first round picks with a future 1st round pick. Use those picks to get Kelly and draft a key position defender. Even then we will have a huge hole up forward that we are relying on a 20 game kid to fill.

I understand the Love for Jesse and Sam. But the Fact remains that we have too many good key position players. 

Lever, Frost, OMac down back, and Tmac, Hogan, Weed up forward. 

We would love to hold onto all these players, but Tmac is the oldest at 26. (So no one will be retiring soon)

If any of these players have an extended stint in the VFL they will leave for money and opportunity. So we will lose someone, it just comes down to who and for what.

I personally would hate to lose Weed, hes the youngest and puts on the best pressure i've seen for a 200cm player. That tackle on danger was out of this world. Jesse is the most talented, he needs his mental game to go up a level however. 

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash
  • Like 3