Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Simon Goodwin & coaching staff will restore faith

Dee-mon

1 hour ago, praha said:

I actually have found a lot of the hysteria bizarre. I'm not angry. Or disappointed. Nor proud or excited. I'm indifferent. 

It's a super tough league and we still have some way to go. All this talk of a fairytale was misplaced. Bulldogs and Richmond had both already played on the big stage.

You just gotta expect them to compete and be thereabouts. 

You just gotta keep your expectations in check.

You have a really good young core and 2 players who will likely place top 5 in the Brownlow. Two AA selections. Lever and Hogan to come in. Potentially May, and that ruckman from North. Goodwin to evolve as a coach. Viney to get better. 

Since round 23 2017 I have been completely indifferent, and that's allowed me to be calmer during the season, with a varied level of expectation.

I expect us to beat teams like St Kilda. I get angry when we lose games like the ones against Geelong. Or round 4 vs Hawthorn. But I just can't be angry when we lose against West Coast in Perth in a Prelim. It was a poor performance, but that happens. They were exhausted, shellshocked, and bullied. It happens.

Geelong beat Collingwood by 90 points in the 2009 Prelim. What happened in 2010? Perspective is also important.

The season was somewhat lost to me after the Sydney game. We played great football after that, but I can't understand how no one could see Saturday coming. I hoped for better but also expected disappointment. That allowed me to deal with it better than some have.

My family were clamouring and worrying about tickets to the GF. I lost my [censored] and got angry at them because we hadn't even made it yet. I get applying for the ballot and planning ahead, but there was this hysteria and "woe is me" at the prospect of missing out on a ticket. I literally told my sister to stfu and just look forward to the game on the weekend. Then we lost and she carried on like as if the sky was falling.

Football is important to us all, and it's imperative in life to be part of something bigger than yourself. I never understood the mantra of some here who always said to keep perspective and understand that it's "just a game". You gotta find a balance between being involved emotionally, and being able to deal with the highs and lows with equal emotional investment. 

If you go overboard when they win, you will go overboard when they lose.

Goodwin and Co know what they're doing but you just can't expect the world from them. If you do then you're setting up for disappointment. 

Agree.  I've also found it much easier to deal with the ups and downs now that you can see that we have the nucleus of a successful team in place, which I think has been evident for at least 12-18 months.

The whole thing about being the only team not to score a goal in the first half since 1920 whatever is just statistical trivia to an extent.  One of those numerous behinds goes through and it's probably a non stat and as pointed out, blow-outs in big finals are hardly nonexistent.  In some ways it is also a symptom of a problem we have with our game style, mental approach and maturity of the team, but non of those things are not fixable.  

If we do blow this window of opportunity we have over the next 3-5 years, be it something within or out of our control (like another horror run of injuries) I will be pretty disappointed however.  What does give me some faith though is that Goodwin seems to have a good ballance of a burning desire for sucess, professionalisim, trust and respect of the playing group as well as a calm, steady, measured and methodical approach.

3 hours ago, Demon3564 said:

I'm thinking this as our Geelong of 2005 - only they got a bit closer in their prelim.

Some people have great memories - which I for one, am thankful for as I don't remember the context of how teams track before premierships...

I remember 5 years or so ago when Ken Hinkley got on board that Port were to be the next powerhouse... I fret the same will happen.

22 minutes ago, Danelska said:

Some people have great memories - which I for one, am thankful for as I don't remember the context of how teams track before premierships...

I remember 5 years or so ago when Ken Hinkley got on board that Port were to be the next powerhouse... I fret the same will happen.

Ken Hinkley f%$&'d up the Port culture the year after their great run in 2014.  He decided to put a senior individual player (Kane Cornes) before the team and the club, defended the decision to the hilt, and Port have been a shadow since.  The tough decision for us will be knowing when Jones is no longer best 22 and handling it in the best interests of the club.  I don't think it will be a factor in 2019.  Clarkson does it better than anyone and Hawthorn tend to over-achieve because of the culture he has built, unlike Port who have been consistent under-achievers for 4 years.  Goody also appears to be prepared to make tough calls (ie Watts).

I’m just thankful, we didn’t win through,  and then put in our howler against the Pies in the GF. There’s only so much humiliation a man can bare...

56 minutes ago, jnrmac said:
This weekend will be the first since 2002 where either Sydney, Geelong and or Hawthorn will not be playing in a Preliminary Final. This graphic shows all the preliminary finals since 2002 which I found pretty interesting. Whilst the Hawks, Cats and Swans won't feature this week, at least one of those three teams and Collingwood have featured in all the Preliminary Finals since 2002 until now. Overall, the Preliminary Finals tally since 2002 is as follows:  Geelong: 9 Collingwood: 8 Sydney: 7 Hawthorn: 6 Adelaide: 5 Port Adelaide: 5 St Kilda: 5 West Coast: 5 Western Bulldogs: 4 Brisbane: 3 Fremantle: 3 North Melbourne: 3 Greater Western Sydney: 2 Richmond: 2 Melbourne: 1  #TrustTheProcess #GraphicDesign #TheProcess #StriveForGreatness #Photoshop #SportsEdit #AFL @AFL

There are no guarantees we will be back in prelim next year for those that think we are on an upwards trajectory........

Totally true.  But for the optimists plenty of sides have been humiliated in a final and recovered.  Just a couple of examples.

2009 prelim.  Geelong 17.18 v Pies 6.11.  Pies won 2010.

2000 semi.  Carlton 23.12 v Brisbane 10.9.  Brisbane won next 3 flags.

4 hours ago, praha said:

I actually have found a lot of the hysteria bizarre. I'm not angry. Or disappointed. Nor proud or excited. I'm indifferent. 

It's a super tough league and we still have some way to go. All this talk of a fairytale was misplaced. Bulldogs and Richmond had both already played on the big stage.

You just gotta expect them to compete and be thereabouts. 

You just gotta keep your expectations in check.

You have a really good young core and 2 players who will likely place top 5 in the Brownlow. Two AA selections. Lever and Hogan to come in. Potentially May, and that ruckman from North. Goodwin to evolve as a coach. Viney to get better. 

Since round 23 2017 I have been completely indifferent, and that's allowed me to be calmer during the season, with a varied level of expectation.

I expect us to beat teams like St Kilda. I get angry when we lose games like the ones against Geelong. Or round 4 vs Hawthorn. But I just can't be angry when we lose against West Coast in Perth in a Prelim. It was a poor performance, but that happens. They were exhausted, shellshocked, and bullied. It happens.

Geelong beat Collingwood by 90 points in the 2009 Prelim. What happened in 2010? Perspective is also important.

The season was somewhat lost to me after the Sydney game. We played great football after that, but I can't understand how no one could see Saturday coming. I hoped for better but also expected disappointment. That allowed me to deal with it better than some have.

My family were clamouring and worrying about tickets to the GF. I lost my [censored] and got angry at them because we hadn't even made it yet. I get applying for the ballot and planning ahead, but there was this hysteria and "woe is me" at the prospect of missing out on a ticket. I literally told my sister to stfu and just look forward to the game on the weekend. Then we lost and she carried on like as if the sky was falling.

Football is important to us all, and it's imperative in life to be part of something bigger than yourself. I never understood the mantra of some here who always said to keep perspective and understand that it's "just a game". You gotta find a balance between being involved emotionally, and being able to deal with the highs and lows with equal emotional investment. 

If you go overboard when they win, you will go overboard when they lose.

Goodwin and Co know what they're doing but you just can't expect the world from them. If you do then you're setting up for disappointment. 

thanks for this post.

if you had said at the start of the year that we would make a prelim, I would have taken it!

even if you said it would be against west coast in Perth, I would have taken it

there was a brutality to the game at the weekend that was unexpected yes, but IMO there was some honesty to it as well.

its not like the boys didn't try, they never gave up. its not as if they weren't prepared, we just don't, at this stage, have another level.

as you said we have pretty handy players to come in, and the next few seasons will be pretty exciting.

I am in absolutely no doubt that this is the team that will win us a flag, its the best set and prepared team I've seen in my lifetime (40 years)

am I disappointed by the result at the weekend, yes. am I optimistic about where we are heading, absolutely 

I think I'm more disappointed that Collingwood are in the final than us losing...

GO DEE'S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:
This weekend will be the first since 2002 where either Sydney, Geelong and or Hawthorn will not be playing in a Preliminary Final. This graphic shows all the preliminary finals since 2002 which I found pretty interesting. Whilst the Hawks, Cats and Swans won't feature this week, at least one of those three teams and Collingwood have featured in all the Preliminary Finals since 2002 until now. Overall, the Preliminary Finals tally since 2002 is as follows:  Geelong: 9 Collingwood: 8 Sydney: 7 Hawthorn: 6 Adelaide: 5 Port Adelaide: 5 St Kilda: 5 West Coast: 5 Western Bulldogs: 4 Brisbane: 3 Fremantle: 3 North Melbourne: 3 Greater Western Sydney: 2 Richmond: 2 Melbourne: 1  #TrustTheProcess #GraphicDesign #TheProcess #StriveForGreatness #Photoshop #SportsEdit #AFL @AFL

There are no guarantees we will be back in prelim next year for those that think we are on an upwards trajectory........

Actually if you look at that broadly most of these sides are there for at least a couple of years (sometimes 2 in 3), often 3 or more.  The Dockers of 2006 being the glaring anomaly.

Edited by Ungarie boy
  • Like 1

I'm loving this thread!

It's easy to forget how far we've come, and that this is only the beginning.

Much like the Hawks' 2011-2015, I think we'll be a heavy presence that table for 2019-2024.

I'm so pumped for 2019!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Aren't you the same "fan" who  jumped ship post match yesterday?

I'd say our culture has evolved an enormous amount in the past month alone,  let alone the rest of the year. There appears to be enormous belief among the playing group and coaching staff. There is a lot of improvement to go and we have huge upside.

Yesterday was a very poor effort no doubt about it,  they looked cooked mentally and physically very early in the first qtr. The fact is we are just not quite ready to go all the way and you can expect a few more disappointing performances at times next year. 

Most fans can see the future unfolding and it looks awesome from where I stand. Unfortunately there are still many fans like your good self that seem stuck in the veil of negativity culture.

Posts like this... "jumped ship" (your words)... gee man this is the kinda gaslighting that needs to be eradicated for lack of good purpose & intent.    'There is a lot of improvement to go and we have huge upside'.  Yet, 'aren't you the "fan" who jumped ship post match.

If I could afford a membership I would.

But just don't bother nailing someone who is feeling disappointment and grief...  it seems the Australian way to kick another when they are down or disagree with your temperament.
Shroud your comments of veiled optimism in your own thoughts.  Don't bother kicking someone else to the curb.

I'll be sure to watch out for your 'contributions' in the future.  To see what metal you have.
ITMT, F*k you. I know where my heart beats.

18 hours ago, Biffen said:

There has to be a plan to stop the barrages.

I don't care if we play 18 behind the ball for after the oppo kicks two or three in a row but we get rolled in short passages of time too easily.

Sydney would never allow such things.

Except for 2 weeks ago against GWS

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

When has anyone said we were guaranteed a prelim? We could get smashed by injuries next year and finish 14. Everyone with a brain is aware there are no guarantees. It doesn’t change the fact that our list profile is still heading in the right direction (towards peak), which maximises our *chances* of doing well. Chances being the operative word. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dee-mon said:

Posts like this... "jumped ship" (your words)... gee man this is the kinda gaslighting that needs to be eradicated for lack of good purpose & intent.    'There is a lot of improvement to go and we have huge upside'.  Yet, 'aren't you the "fan" who jumped ship post match.

If I could afford a membership I would.

But just don't bother nailing someone who is feeling disappointment and grief...  it seems the Australian way to kick another when they are down or disagree with your temperament.
Shroud your comments of veiled optimism in your own thoughts.  Don't bother kicking someone else to the curb.

I'll be sure to watch out for your 'contributions' in the future.  To see what metal you have.
ITMT, F*k you. I know where my heart beats.

Wow! 

On 9/24/2018 at 2:29 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

was wondering this myself

Going by Angus on the AFL Exchange podcast, there wasn't one and exit interviews were done on Monday and Tuesday.