Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



DeeSpencer

2019 best 22 and depth chart

Recommended Posts

I'm going to do my rnd 1 side which means Lever is out.

B: Fritsch, May, Jetta

HB: Hibberd, O.McDonald, Salem

C : Kolodjashnij, Oliver, Brayshaw

HF: Petracca, Weideman, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, T.McDonald, Gawn

FOLL: Pruess, Viney, Harmes

IC: Jones, Lewis, Vandenberg, Hannan

EMERG: Spargo

 

CASEY

B: J.Smith, Frost, Lockhart

HB: Hunt, Petty, J.Wagner

C : Stretch, Maynard, Baker

HF: Kennedy Harris, Keilty, Sturt

F: Garlett, T.Smith, Bedford

FOLL: Bradtke, C.Wagner, Duursma

IC: Hind, McKenzie, Ayton-Delaney, Walker

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait for full training to start and see which groups specific players are training with.  It gives a good indication although I recognise that things can change quickly in season e,g, Salem mid to back; and Fritsch fwd to mid to back last year and Melksham back to fwd in 2017.

Anyway hers's a stab at it starting with whom I consider to be the locks (you're free to disagree):

Backs: May, Lever, Jetta, Hibberd, Salem, OMac, Lewis, Frost, Petty, Wagner

Mids: Gawn, Preuss, Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, Jones, Stretch, JKH, Maynard, Baker

Forwards: TMac, Weed, Melksham, Petracca, ANB, Spargo, Hannan, T.Smith, Garlett

Of particular interest:

  • KK: back or mid - I'm tipping wing role as a mid.
  • VDB: probably mid?
  • Hunt: has been a back but I think there could be a role change - possibly forward
  • Fritsch: the most versatile - forward, mid or back?  He played back at the end of this year for coverage and I have FD intel that this is the preferred role for him
  • J.Smith: was a back but I've posted elsewhere that I like the idea of him forward, has the height to spoil intercept markers and the pace and tackling to lock the ball in.  The FD tried him there at the end of this year twice.
  • Keilty: plays back at Casey but they use him as a swingman and goes fwd to create an effective target,  With our plethora of tall backs and shortage of tall fwd depth I'd like to see Dec training with the forwards.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

I can't wait for full training to start and see which groups specific players are training with.  It gives a good indication although I recognise that things can change quickly in season e,g, Salem mid to back; and Fritsch fwd to mid to back last year and Melksham back to fwd in 2017.

Anyway hers's a stab at it starting with whom I consider to be the locks (you're free to disagree):

Backs: May, Lever, Jetta, Hibberd, Salem, OMac, Lewis, Frost, Petty, Wagner

Mids: Gawn, Preuss, Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, Jones, Stretch, JKH, Maynard, Baker

Forwards: TMac, Weed, Melksham, Petracca, ANB, Spargo, Hannan, T.Smith, Garlett

Of particular interest:

  • KK: back or mid - I'm tipping wing role as a mid.
  • VDB: probably mid?
  • Hunt: has been a back but I think there could be a role change - possibly forward
  • Fritsch: the most versatile - forward, mid or back?  He played back at the end of this year for coverage and I have FD intel that this is the preferred role for him
  • J.Smith: was a back but I've posted elsewhere that I like the idea of him forward, has the height to spoil intercept markers and the pace and tackling to lock the ball in.  The FD tried him there at the end of this year twice.
  • Keilty: plays back at Casey but they use him as a swingman and goes fwd to create an effective target,  With our plethora of tall backs and shortage of tall fwd depth I'd like to see Dec training with the forwards.

Agree with everything here, though I do like the idea of Fritsch playing forward considering our backline depth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

 Hunt: has been a back but I think there could be a role change - possibly forward

If we can get Hunt to increase his work rate then I think a forward/winger role is something I’d love to see him in. He had X-factor in 2017 and kicked some great goals, I think he even had one game (from memory against Adelaide) where he played the second half as a forward and really showed something. 

I just can’t see a role for him down back now, unless Lewis goes down but even then I wouldn’t think he’d be the best choice to replace him. 

Mahoney stated early in the trade period the Hunt was not someone they were looking to move on so clearly the club still sees a future for him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tall backs  May  Frost  Omcd  Petty  Keilty (R)

Mid/tall.  Lever. Jsmith. Wagner. 

mid backs  Hibberd  Salem  Lewis

small backs.  Jetta

12

mid inside  Oliver  Viney Brayshaw  Harmes  Jones  Maynard (R)

mid outside.  Kolodjashnij  Hunt. Stretch. Baker. 

10

Tall fwd. Tmcd. Weideman TSmith (R)

mid fwd. Melksham  Petracca. Fritsch. ANB. VDHberg.  Hannan  

sml fwds. Spargo. Garlett jkh.

12

ruck. Gawn. Preuss 

2  

there are many other variations with Petracca ANB able to go into midfield or Brayshaw to go outside mid as required. 

Salem can go into the midfield. 

Kolo Baker Hunt can go back as running half backs. 

We have 8 spots to fill. The key areas for me are

1- more midfield class. You can never have enough (see Pies and Eagles)

draft options - Xavier O’Halloran or Tom Mckenzie or Xavier Duursma (at 23 or 28 or both) 

2- crumbing forward. (Garlett can step up but we need more goal kickers)

draft options - Toby Bedford (pick 54 or 62 likely) Zac Foot or Nick Hind (pick 91, rookie option)

3- tall forwards. Yes we need to build up in case tmcd/Weid have injury or form issues. 

draft options - Hudson Garoni, Haydn McLean (either at pick 91 or rookie) 

4- young ruck. I see a spot for a youngster here to develop at Casey. (Bradtke is on list as Cat B)

draft options - Bailey Williams (at #28 if available) , Stephen Cumming (rookie option)

5- small back. Cover for Jetta. 

draft options - Jay Lockhart or Marty Hore (either at pick 62,91,rookie) 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
X
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s raining in the rainforest but my Lebanese Weed is dry and smoking and hanging on the drops as it climbs through the giant red cedar limbs... but round one of the tilt at the flag needs to show some  class and a new plan...

Rear six... Jetta May Hibbo.... Salem Frost Hunt

Starting six.... Gawn Oliver Harmes.... KK Brayshaw Draft 28 (Xavier!)

Front six... TMac Melksham Weed... ANB Preuss Draft 23 (SS!)

Bench four... Harmes VAnders Fritsch Jones

Emergs .... Lewis Petracca OMac Garlett 

Injured ... Lever (3-7) Viney (1-12)

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grey wolf said:

It’s raining in the rainforest but my Lebanese Weed is dry and smoking and hanging on the drops as it climbs through the giant red cedar limbs... but round one of the tilt at the flag needs to show some  class and a new plan...

Rear six... Jetta May Hibbo.... Salem Frost Hunt

Starting six.... Gawn Oliver Harmes.... KK Brayshaw Draft 28 (Xavier!)

Front six... TMac Melksham Weed... ANB Preuss Draft 23 (SS!)

Bench four... Harmes VAnders Fritsch Jones

Emergs .... Lewis Petracca OMac Garlett 

Injured ... Lever (3-7) Viney (1-12)

Why is Viney injured?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 10:49 AM, Fat Tony said:

I still think we are lacking two good wingers. 

We could've gotten a high quality winger on the cheap but Hawthorn got in first.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We could've gotten a high quality winger on the cheap but Hawthorn got in first.

I don't think we were his club of choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BEST 22 - by end of season (predicting lewis to start and similar to vince be phased out/replaced by the bye rnd)

B: Neville Jetta, Steven May, Michael Hibberd

HB: Kade Kolodjashnij, Jake Lever, Christian Salem

😄James Harmes, Nathan Jones, Angus Brayshaw

HF: Aaron Vandenberg, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham

F: Charlie Spargo, Sam Weideman, Alex Neal-Bullen

FOLL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney

I/C: Bailey Fritsch, Jayden Hunt, Christian Petracca, Mitch Hannan

EMG: Jordan Lewis, Sam Frost, Brayden Preuss, Billy Stretch

 

AFL.com.au Prediction

B: Oscar McDonald, Steven May, Neville Jetta

HB: Christian Salem, Jake Lever, Michael Hibberd

😄James Harmes, Jack Viney, Kade Kolodjashnij

HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Sam Weideman, Jake Melksham

F: Charlie Spargo, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca

FOLL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw

I/C: Nathan Jones, Aaron vandenBerg, Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan 

 

Herald Sun Prediction

B Jake Lever Oscar McDonald Neville Jetta

HB Kade Kolodjashnij Steven May Michael Hibberd

C Christian Salem Jack Viney Angus Brayshaw

HF Christian Petracca Tom McDonald James Harmes

F Jake Melksham Sam Weideman Mitch Hannan

Foll Max Gawn Nathan Jones Clayton Oliver

I/C Alex Neal-Bullen Jordan Lewis Charlie Spargo Bayley Fritsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I think we will go with round 1 (assume Lever out injured)

Jetta. May. Hibberd

Lewis.  Frost. Salem

Kolodjashnji. Viney. Brayshaw 

Petracca. Weideman.  Melksham

Garlett Tmcd  Hannan

Gawn Harmes Oliver

Int- ANB Jones  Preuss Fritsch 

 

depth (Lever)  Omcd Wagner Keilty Petty Jsmith 

depth mids Stretch Maynard Hunt Baker

depth fwds  Vanders TSmith Spargo Jkh 

36 on current list

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of realisation that Oscar McDonald is one of the first picked every week (yes, even with May and Lever) I find continually bemusing. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes I think we will go with round 1 (assume Lever out injured)

Jetta. May. Hibberd

Lewis.  Frost. Salem

Kolodjashnji. Viney. Brayshaw 

Petracca. Weideman.  Melksham

Garlett Tmcd  Hannan

Gawn Harmes Oliver

Int- ANB Jones  Preuss Fritsch 

 

depth (Lever)  Omcd Wagner Keilty Petty Jsmith 

depth mids Stretch Maynard Hunt Baker

depth fwds  Vanders TSmith Spargo Jkh 

36 on current list

 

 

Makes me doubtful about your extensive draft prognostications ...

  • Frost ahead of OMac?
  • Hannan ahead of Vanders and Spargo?
  • Garlett in at all?

In: OMac, Vanders, Spargo
Out: Frost, Hannan, Garlett

I think that we may start with the Preuss experiment but it won't last long.  Probably in time for Lever to return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Makes me doubtful about your extensive draft prognostications ...

  • Frost ahead of OMac?
  • Hannan ahead of Vanders and Spargo?
  • Garlett in at all?

In: OMac, Vanders, Spargo
Out: Frost, Hannan, Garlett

I think that we may start with the Preuss experiment but it won't last long.  Probably in time for Lever to return.

To be fair, Hannan and Garlett might have been identified for their goal output, where Spargo and Vanders would be chosen as they have a higher defensive aspect to their game and locking the ball in the forward line. That said, I agree that I find it hard to picture Garlett being in the best 22, and I agree that OMac is ahead of Frost at this stage as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Webber said:

The lack of realisation that Oscar McDonald is one of the first picked every week (yes, even with May and Lever) I find continually bemusing. 

Strange isn't it.  When we  secured lever some on here said that would mean omac going to Casey for his "development' having been 'gifted' games in 2017. What happens? Plays almost every minute of every game in 2018. Including the 8 -9 lever played in. Having played all b as r one the previous season. 

And frost. Only got a run at it once lever went down and only after he had worked on his weaknesses.

Omac is well ahead of frost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 1, injuries considered; 


FB - Jetta May Hibbo

HB - Salem Omac Lewis

C - Kolo Viney Brayshaw 

HF - Melksham Tmac Petracca 

FF - Fritsch Weid Hannan

 Fol - Gawn Oliver Harmes 

Int - ANB Vanders Jones Spargo 

Lewis to be phased out once Lever is fit, straight swap and that's our full strength back 6. Looks delicious on paper. 

No idea where Pruess fits in all this yet, don't think we'll see him in Round 1. 

Hopefully Jones to be used up forward and not in the middle, the guts ain't for him anymore but he's obviously still best 22 (can kick a decent goal after all).

Kolo coming out firing is probably the thing I hope for the most. He will be a very important key if we are to go deep. 

Give us a Richmond 2017-style lack of injuries and I'd rate us as short priced favs in 2019. Here's hoping, on paper we look deadly across the board.  

  

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Round 1, injuries considered; 


FB - Jetta May Hibbo

HB - Salem Omac Lewis

C - Kolo Viney Brayshaw 

HF - Melksham Tmac Petracca 

FF - Fritsch Weid Hannan

 Fol - Gawn Oliver Harmes 

Int - ANB Vanders Jones Spargo 

Lewis to be phased out once Lever is fit, straight swap and that's our full strength back 6. Looks delicious on paper. 

No idea where Pruess fits in all this yet, don't think we'll see him in Round 1. 

Hopefully Jones to be used up forward and not in the middle, the guts ain't for him anymore but he's obviously still best 22 (can kick a decent goal after all).

Kolo coming out firing is probably the thing I hope for the most. He will be a very important key if we are to go deep. 

Give us a Richmond 2017-style lack of injuries and I'd rate us as short priced favs in 2019. Here's hoping, on paper we look deadly across the board.  

  

 

 

 

 

Love the positivity @Smokey !- personally I am not sure where Jones fits anymore... he has his moments that are great, and he can butcher it too... irrespective of the his history of carrying the side, I think he should (in one man's opinion) be phased out... and it would be the same if he was 23... 

Kolo intriques me...kudos to the gold coast medical team for working through this time with him/it's not a question of whether our's is better per se, I think our development personnel will help him no end... 

Deadly indeed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×