Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson

ucanchoose

Changes v Eagles - Preliminary Final

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Chook said:

Gotta go a bit taller vs West Coast, so I'd say our only chances are J Smith, or a very outside chance of Pedersen. Still would love to see Vince get back in though.

There's no place for nostalgia in September, particularly come PF time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Why do we need to go taller? Oscar goes to Darling and Frost goes to Kennedy.

I'd have it the other way around. Frost will be able to keep up with Darling's pace, whereas OMAC should be able to keep up with the lumbering Josh Kennedy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m amazed at the calls for Vince to come in. He was in terrible form before injured, in fact, poor for most of the year. 

We were terrible tonight with Tyson & Jones on the wings so surely we need to replace at least one of them and we know it won’t be Jones.

out Tyson and in either Hunt or Joel Smith fir some leg speed on the fast WA track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In J Smith, Fritsch to wing, Tyson out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Bing, but Smith just doesn't do it for me.

Plus Bailey is a breath of fresh air down back. He's cool under pressure and is a good kick too. At the end of the day it's not up to me........or us.

In GOoDy we Trust

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has Hunt been in the vfl to replace Tyson and alternate at hb with fritsch? Hunt may have shown his best over a year ago, but it's far more than Smith has shown in totality. Too big a call?

 

I wonder if Salem will pull up ok this week wasn't he holding a cork on hammy or calf early on?

Edited by johndemonic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyson really struggled, but he will stay in the team cos he can run, run, run. We are running teams off their feet and having a very deep midfield is priceless.

Not  a chance in hell we are bringing  a defender in for Dom, even if they did want to drop him. If anyone it would be JKH coming in , if he did well for Casey today.

No change.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who says bring in Vince against a team who has Ryan, Rioli and Cripps in their forward half is unfortunately selecting with their heart not their head. That or they have poor memory of Vince recent form. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Bernie but his form pre-injury doesn't warrant a spot in the side.

Tyson was poor (would be interesting if someone can confirm he was in a defensive role on Burgoyne? I didn't notice it but I didn't notice Burgoyne either). But I don't think we'll be making any non-injury changes.

Bringing in J Smith for Tyson means we're pushing Fritsch up the ground, but we've been playing Fritsch in the back line for weeks now and it's working. I just don't see us making that change mid-finals when our form is peaking.

If we're going to drop Tyson, I think it will be for someone like JKH if he plays really well at Casey today and can add more in the midfield than Tyson. But I think we'll ultimately back the 22 in to do it again with an 8-day break and I'd be all for that plan.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll follow the Casey game with interest, but I’m seriously doubtful that there will be any changes. The system we have works. I’m not in favour of any changes that involve shifting players positions (eg Fritsch), and since there are no obviously better lile for like replacements available, it points to no change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

If Joel Smith puts in a half decent game tomorrow I reckon Tyson maybe be nervous 

Out: Tyson

In: J Smith

This is the one.. particularly with a taller eagles forwardline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who man's up Vardy when he's resting up forward? We may need another tall-ish player to cope with their height up front. It's a genuine selection dilemma. I agree with others, Tyson looks to be on shakiest ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No change. We shouldn’t and I suspect won’t change the winning formula. 

I’d love to see Vince play but you can’t gift a game in a prelim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

I love Bernie but his form pre-injury doesn't warrant a spot in the side.

Tyson was poor (would be interesting if someone can confirm he was in a defensive role on Burgoyne? I didn't notice it but I didn't notice Burgoyne either). But I don't think we'll be making any non-injury changes.

Bringing in J Smith for Tyson means we're pushing Fritsch up the ground, but we've been playing Fritsch in the back line for weeks now and it's working. I just don't see us making that change mid-finals when our form is peaking.

If we're going to drop Tyson, I think it will be for someone like JKH if he plays really well at Casey today and can add more in the midfield than Tyson. But I think we'll ultimately back the 22 in to do it again with an 8-day break and I'd be all for that plan.

I thought Fritsch was close to our worst player last night, seemed very fumbly and not his clean self, he also had the Gunston match up early on. I also don't see a natural match up for him against the Eagles forwards and think his run and skills forward of centre would be more valuable next week. If someone could advise how we are setting up for Kennedy, Darling and Vardy forward?

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leucopogon said:

Who man's up Vardy when he's resting up forward? We may need another tall-ish player to cope with their height up front. It's a genuine selection dilemma. I agree with others, Tyson looks to be on shakiest ground.

Gawn has been resting down back...he'll take him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those calling for Tyson to go need to watch the game again, he was clearly playing a defensive role, on the mid the Hawks send forward. He didn't get a lot of it but more than did his role. No changes needed unless there's an injury

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Several years ago when Hawthorn beat Geelong in the Grand Final of 2008, the critics were raving about Cyril’s game in which he had a low number of possessions. Charlie Spargo had only a dozen disposals tonight but it was one of the best games of 12 touches you could get. He kicked 2 goals and was involved in at least three goal assists of which I was aware. His “quiet” game was probably the difference between the sides.

Spargo plays in WA.

Agree, I thought Charlie needed a break this week but he proved me wrong, he did that was asked of him, he’s an 18 year old kid, when he matures he’s going to be a very good player. Just watched Casey, Bernie Vince was good, probably only played 70% of game got 22 with 13 of them contested, he should come in for Tyson who’s been average for a midfielder, also wouldn’t mind Jeffy in for ANB but that won’t happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davo said:

Agree, I thought Charlie needed a break this week but he proved me wrong, he did that was asked of him, he’s an 18 year old kid, when he matures he’s going to be a very good player. Just watched Casey, Bernie Vince was good, probably only played 70% of game got 22 with 13 of them contested, he should come in for Tyson who’s been average for a midfielder, also wouldn’t mind Jeffy in for ANB but that won’t happen 

Bernie Vince will not come in to replace Tyson as Bernie is not a midfielder.

If he comes in he will play back. So who does he replace? Lewis? Salem? Fritter? Jetta? Not going to happen.

I would think that Jeffy's days playing seniors at MFC are past.

No change unless by injury.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are delusional if they think J. Smith is going to play his first final in a Prelim. If there's anyone who will come in, it'll be Vince. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Reckon Spargo is due for a rest. Looks tired.

Overdew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×